Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Sep 6, 2018 8:25 PM

May 2015
FullyCharged said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Cringy isn't a criticism and KnK is way better than KnNw.

Nice arguments you brought :D

No don't worry, I'm not interested in reading them now. Next time elaborate sooner :D

Right back at ya kid.

Sep 6, 2018 8:32 PM

Jan 2018
This movie should hang out with your name. 10/10
Sep 7, 2018 11:55 PM

Aug 2017
It's overrated although have some good scenes and characters.

The movie is decent but there is no way deserves to have a very high score.
NurguburuSep 8, 2018 12:05 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 9, 2018 12:21 AM

Jun 2015
AnimePixelz said:
No. I will absolutely never think the movie, Koe No Katachi is overrated. If you haven't read the manga, I suggest you read that. There isn't that much of a difference to the movie but I adored the manga, it was brilliant and well-drawn and presented. I loved this movie since the animation, how the company overcame the difficult of a deaf person (e.g mouth movement), beautiful scenery, powerful moral and inspiration to younger generation.

Koe No Katachi is one of those movies that you can't really forget and I'll definitely re-watch again and again since it's just so beautiful and portrayed excellently. This movie deserves it's overrates and well-known/famous in the anime community, no exception.

You mean melodramatic and emo?

That's how I think back of this movie.

You could see the melodramatic shit story in like 10 minutes of the show.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Sep 16, 2018 9:39 PM
Apr 2018
SeibaaHomu said:
No, I think that it's actually incredibly underrated. As someone who's been through a lot of what Shouya has, I see it as an incredibly well made film that really understands the issues it's covering. I also think Naoko Yamada is one of the single best directors in the industry.

Also the movie isn't even THAT well regarded. It got completely overshadowed by Your Name, it never even came out in the US and it's average score from critics on Rotten Tomatoes is a 7.6/10.

But you see, that is because you are judging it based on how it relates to YOU. You need to judge anime based on its own merits, not on how you can relate to the main character. I went through a similar experience when I was around Shoyas age but I didn't let that affect my final judgement of the show.
Sep 17, 2018 1:50 PM

Feb 2014
I just watched it and I'm still not quite sure how to rate it... I didnt like it, honestly. Although it was interesting, emotional and the art was nice. But watching the characters go through so much pain and the way they reacted to it felt super depressing to me. No wonder Japan has such a high suicide rate, everyone seems to be blaming themselves for everything geez.
Interesting 10/10
Enjoyed it -6/10. Made me suffer through to much.
L had a poster of Norman in his room
Nov 20, 2018 9:40 AM
Jul 2018
I didn't enjoy it at all. Maybe it's just me but pacing was terrible and many thing didn't make sense. That's what happen when you adapt 64 chapters within 2 hours. People say call it masterpiece better than kimi no na wa. I couldn't disagree more. I didn't read the manga but plot overall didn't make sense for me..
Dec 4, 2018 10:13 AM

Jun 2017
No, I don't think this movie is overrated, that being said, it's not perfect either, but it didn't fail to move me from my seat, literally. I experienced a roller coaster of emotions, got angry, laughed, got sad, and so on.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Dec 11, 2018 9:41 AM

Jan 2017
Super overrated.

Can't believe that after 2 hours of screentime every single character is still left to be absurdly shallow. Not a single plot point gets properly wrapped up either. The love confession is just being left in a room almost like it never happened while it should bear some significance (even though it came completely out of the blue).

Shouko is barely more than a husk that you're basically forced to feel pity for due to her circumstances. Though you can barely comprehend her motives (the movie treats her like a retard basically) - but that's the fundamental problem for each and every character.

I enjoyed it in the sense that it looks drop dead gorgeous and starts off as a sweet anime with a more serious background. But the closer you come towards the end the more you realize that none of the potentially interesting character struggles leads towards a satisfying closure, while the last dramatic plot point just comes off as forced and unnecessary.
Reuter_Dec 12, 2018 4:57 AM
Dec 12, 2018 5:18 AM
Oct 2018
I just want to respond to the 3/10 review (with ~500 "helpful" ratings) that says "Koe no Katachi is dangerous because it is exploitative", "Shoko's character is offensive", etc. (and didn't know where else to do it, so here seems as good a place as any)

This review is a prime example of people getting all self-righteous and preachy, and ending up harming the cause they claim they're championing. Characters with disabilities are virtually non-existant in anime. Then someone *does* write a story where a sympathetically (if imperfectly) portrayed person with a disability holds a central role, and they get piled on by white-knights because this, one of the first-ever significant portrayals of a disabled person in anime isn't 100% perfect.

This is the definition of "no good deed goes unpunished". Do these people really expect portrayals of characters like this to go from 'zero', directly to '100% flawless' right out of the gate? Or are they just looking for opportunities to complain, and to show off how super-progressive and woke they are, and if the cost of that is shitting on the few portrayals of disabled people that DO exist, then so be it?

I'm not saying that Shoko is a perfectly-presented character , or that this is a perfect film- in terms of it's representation of people with disabilities or otherwise. Yes, Shoko is a pretty one dimensional character, but she's hardly the first one dimensional character in anime, and she won't be the last. (She isn't even THAT one-dimensional, to be honest. She has about as much depth as most characters in a film like this, but whatever...)

But despite being pretty one-dimensional, Shoko IS a rare example of representation of a character with a disability, in a central character, and in a sympathetic light. In terms of what the reviewer *claims* to want, this film is objectively a step forward (even if its not without it's flaws). You can criticise exactly how this was done, but if you claim to support representation of people with disabilities, you can't then criticize the one film that takes a risk by making a sincere effort to represent people with disabilities.

Slamming people for not being perfect right out of the gate might help make you feel superior, but it won't help your cause; Any studio, seeing reactions like that review, would be idiots to take the risk of picking up another project involving a disabled character, knowing they'll just end up not coming up to the high standards of reviewers like that one.

Dec 16, 2018 10:11 PM

Jan 2010
Takamura-sama said:

It feels like Anohana but worse TO ME.

it feels like anohana but better to me.
in anohana, all the drama/crying scenes seems completely forced.
in this movie, it's the total opposite.

the characters are actually believable, not like some "your name".
Final Fantasy VII is a shitty game.
Dec 26, 2018 1:49 PM
Aug 2018
Isn’t all good anime is overrated
Dec 26, 2018 9:45 PM
Jan 2018
You gave FMA:B a 5 but gave citrus a 9. Your opinion is irrelevant
Jan 2, 2019 5:10 PM
Nov 2018
The word overrated has lost all its meaning what with people using it to describe most if not all shows under the sun (like for real, find me ONE show that a single person says is not overrated...taking a dip in the sun and coming out alive would be an easier feat)

I liked the whole redemption theme the show had with Ishida and his friends (fuck Ueno though, the fucking sow can go masturbate with a cactus) and Shoko instantly won my sympathy with the whole "disabled kid just trying to fit in and make friends" and "no matter how much she's bullied she still had a positive outlook" things. Art and animation were all there as expected of KyoAni and the soundtrack was nice as well. I could go on but I'll just say it had everything I could want for an enjoyable experience

I'd say stop looking at the score if it being "overrated" is an issue for you, just decide if it was enjoyable or not and leave it at that. Not everything needs a pricetag on it.
Jan 12, 2019 5:40 PM

Sep 2011
So the 5 minutes after watching had my rating bounce back and forth between a 6 and a 10. Stepping back and looking at it as purely an animated movie it handled a lot of things very poorly. You could tell it was very condensed and a lot of important information was clearly missing. On the flip side, the experience of being bullied leaves a massive scar and I find myself resonating very strongly with people who have been bullied for something outside of their control. Shouko's portrayal was pretty spot on. She was always apologizing and tried to keep a smile, but in the inside she wanted everything to just end. I am precisely like that now, and her character felt so familiar and comfortable. From that perspective the movie nailed it pretty square on.

Ultimately, is it "overrated"? I don't think so. It was condensed, but everything had a purpose and contributed to the overall story. There were no info dumps and its premise couldn't be destroyed with a single question like Kimi no na wa's premise.

It tasted good, there was no mush, and it had no fat. I would say that disqualifies anything from being "overrated" in by book.
Jan 16, 2019 8:25 AM
Aug 2013
I gave it a 4.

The bullying scenes were gut-wrenching. And the first half of the show was phenomenal. But I felt the second half just fell apart.

Regarding the landmark of this show portraying a disability character, that doesn't give the show a free pass, nor is it actually anything new. ef memories (which I gave a 10 and is my favorite show of all-time) had a disability character, and because ef memories was two separate stories that switched back and forth, the story with the disability character was completed in roughly the same amount of time as A Silent Voice. But ef memories is far, far superior in terms of characterization and development. That's because ef memories has fantastic dialogue to go with its unorthodox visuals.. A Silent Voice pads its runtime by having Shouya stare blankly every other minute.

Shouya + Shouko did not feel natural, as I felt that Shouko just suddenly decided to love Shouya for whatever reason. The bridge scene with the entire cast where everyone is frustrated over a sulking Shouya was so contrived that I couldn't imagine that scene ever playing out in reality.
Jan 21, 2019 6:34 PM

Feb 2009
To me, there is a reason that it is lumped in the 'overrated category'. It has a lot of elements that a lot of people can relate to. Sure, there are some things this definitely could have done better. There were parts throughout the second half that felt like it was missing some 'detail' and the message didn't hit the viewer as hard as it needed to in some parts.

But overall, the message is there and they portrayed a lot of the outcome as best as they could with the time length. The main characters are loved because, again, they have relatable qualities.
Jan 26, 2019 6:16 AM
Sep 2017
For a 2 hour adaptation of a 7 volume series the movie did really well. I’m a big fan of Yamada Naoko and the camerawork of this movie was brilliant, similar to all the other anime with her in the director’s chair. As a person who’s read the manga and watched the anime, i think that the manga did do a better job as a whole, but the anime still manages to tell a charming and emotional tale. Of course, uh, compared to other Yamada Naoko works this was on the lower end I guess.
Jan 26, 2019 6:19 AM

Feb 2016
Its a 7/10 for me too it was good but it doesnt meet up to the expectation i was hoping for.

Jan 29, 2019 1:15 AM
Jul 2017
Takamura-sama said:
I mean it was a 7/10 for me. A really good anime, but I think it's slightly overrated.
I liked the movie a lot, but you guys are acting as if this is as good as Clannad After story.

Can Someone tell me why they liked this movie so much? I don't really understand.

I found clannad afterstory boring. It's matter of taste. But I agree that this film is not as great as people make it out to be. I gave it 8/10.
Feb 11, 2019 12:47 PM

Jul 2017
Idk if it’s overrated, but it’s definitely exploitative and extremely manipulative. That stuff sells though and I don’t think that the film tries to hide its emotional manipulation, that’s kind of the point. It’s a decent film because it succeeds in eliciting the emotional reaction it intends to. I just wish it wasn’t so obvious about it.
Feb 17, 2019 3:06 PM
May 2017
Takamura-sama said:
I mean it was a 7/10 for me. A really good anime, but I think it's slightly overrated.
I liked the movie a lot, but you guys are acting as if this is as good as Clannad After story.

Can Someone tell me why they liked this movie so much? I don't really understand.
I felt like this movie was very emotional. A lot of parts were cut out from the manga/light novel, but overall it was really good. A 9/10 for me. What's overrated is Kimi no name wa... I didn't really feel the romance there and I feel like the community just sucked everything out of it after the HUGE hype. I gave it a 8/10. But i honestly thought Kimi no suizou wo tabetai was really good youshould watch it. 9/10 for me
Darren Zheng
21zhengd360@gmail.com
Mar 8, 2019 1:07 AM
Oct 2016
Overrated? Hell no. I loved it and gave it 10/10. Besides, does it really matter if it's overrated?
MrGarlandMar 8, 2019 2:15 AM
Jul 18, 2019 12:37 PM

Aug 2018
lucio54 said:
Its not overrated, Wtf...its more like underrated.
Same here. It's underrated.

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Aug 15, 2020 12:21 PM
Oct 2017
BlackCicero said:
Over the years I have grown to dislike the term 'overrated' and the way it's used. Anyway, I just watched the movie and it was very enjoyable for me. 9/10

thank you overrated is such a stupid term
Aug 28, 2020 11:58 AM
Aug 2020
There is no way this movie is bad or overrated, its a classic without a doubt, the way the scenes are sequence is perfect, its not the usual sequence where they show you what happens after every second, thats perfect it gives the movie a whole feeling about what it is all about, I saw a review where its basically saying that the the deaf girl is disgusting or some like that and that they are not feelings, its the total opposite, the feelings this movie gives you is raw, its exactly the feelings you get from the world we live in, that's what people(teenagers) are like now, this film shows you the reality of the world we live in the best way possible.
Aug 29, 2020 2:20 AM

Oct 2019
I don't think it's either overrated or underrated. It's appropriately rated.
This movie explores rather realistic themes, has interesting cast of characters, but also has beautiful animation. I overall loved A silent voice.
BOŽE ČUVAJ HRVATSKU
Sep 6, 2020 6:02 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Thread locked

This is an under/overrated thread and there's already another thread for that purpose: Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.