Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 14, 2017 5:04 AM

Mar 2010
zumac said:
Jagd84 said:

So it's good because it isn't as bad as the others? LOL.

I'm not sure how you can say the this when the LN are literally the definition of blank slate, while Suabru has clearly has personality regardless of whether you like it or not. You're general discreption baoyt the character can apply to 90% of anime medium both good and bad.

Funny. Then why does the show not have a harem, an OP protagonist who's always right and cool. Where is his shounen powers that allow him to solo everything without working everyone? Where is the RPG mechanics like stats and guilds? You know those things that are in hundreds of LNs and WNs like Mahou Sensou and Maso Gakuen, Asterisk War or SAO? Yet this one which doesn't any of that and actually forces the MC to change himself to get anywhere.

Re:Zero is popular because it actually stands out among the coward and most people aren't judging it with a superficial lens like being colorful and having girls in it.

LOL.
SAO, Asterisk Wars etc. are really shitty animus, Rezero does a few things better than them and that makes it automatically a good show ? People's standards nowadays.....

What does any of those shows have to do with Re:Zero exactly? They literally nothing a like besides being produced in Japan? This like comparing Vash the Stampede to Cowboy Bebop...
Jul 14, 2017 6:05 AM

Oct 2015
Jagd84 said:
zumac said:

LOL.
SAO, Asterisk Wars etc. are really shitty animus, Rezero does a few things better than them and that makes it automatically a good show ? People's standards nowadays.....

What does any of those shows have to do with Re:Zero exactly? They literally nothing a like besides being produced in Japan? This like comparing Vash the Stampede to Cowboy Bebop...

Forget about these guys Jag, as far as I've seen, all their criticisms have mostly just been a bunch of whining rather that pointing out actual flaws in the show. You're dealing with their different tastes/wants in anime rather than any objective problems. They've already made up their mind that they hate the show, probably triggered by a few events in it so as to counter the praise it receives from its fans. When you want to find flaws even the Mona Lisa looks like a lacklustre portrait of a random woman.
Jul 14, 2017 10:32 AM

Mar 2010
IndianAnimeReker said:
Jagd84 said:

Forget about these guys Jag, as far as I've seen, all their criticisms have mostly just been a bunch of whining rather that pointing out actual flaws in the show. You're dealing with their different tastes/wants in anime rather than any objective problems. They've already made up their mind that they hate the show, probably triggered by a few events in it so as to counter the praise it receives from its fans. When you want to find flaws even the Mona Lisa looks like a lacklustre portrait of a random woman.

You're right. But some of the contrarian statements like this is truly baffling.
Jul 15, 2017 6:26 PM

Oct 2014
Swagernator said:
Gazz said:
I'm with you. its very overrated in my opinion. Lot of deaths doens't mean the anime is good. Erased for example also features a lot of death and time loop. Both of them are awful.

Rem is what make this show popular end of the discussion.

I remember in the past where everytime I play Dota 2, atleast 1 (or sometimes 2 or plus!) has a profile pic of Rem.

Her perfect shaped boobs, charm, voice, and sweetness captured a lot of viewers mind, creating a illusion that this anime is excellent.
Jul 16, 2017 10:14 AM

Mar 2010
Gazz said:
Swagernator said:

Rem is what make this show popular end of the discussion.

I remember in the past where everytime I play Dota 2, atleast 1 (or sometimes 2 or plus!) has a profile pic of Rem.

Her perfect shaped boobs, charm, voice, and sweetness captured a lot of viewers mind, creating a illusion that this anime is excellent.

You guys must live an alternate reality, because while she one of the most popular characters she as hell not what makes the series among many of eastern fans. Especially western ones who read LN and WN.
Jul 16, 2017 6:32 PM

Oct 2014
Jagd84 said:
You guys must live an alternate reality, because while she one of the most popular characters she as hell not what makes the series among many of eastern fans. Especially western ones who read LN and WN.

Ofcourse you are right, but majority of people I know that watched Re:Zero is enthralled by Rem. When you ask them name one character from Re:Zero, 75% will answer Rem.

Rem is the most popular character in Re:Zero. Infact, she currently at ranked #29 with 17k+ favorites here in MAL.

and as @Swagernator said,
Rem is what make this show popular.

Rem only made Re:Zero popular, but that doesn't mean Rem made the series great.

Jul 17, 2017 2:40 AM

Jun 2017
Gazz said:
Jagd84 said:

Ofcourse you are right, but majority of people I know that watched Re:Zero is enthralled by Rem. When you ask them name one character from Re:Zero, 75% will answer Rem.

Rem is the most popular character in Re:Zero. Infact, she currently at ranked #29 with 17k+ favorites here in MAL.

and as @Swagernator said,
Rem is what make this show popular.

Rem only made Re:Zero popular, but that doesn't mean Rem made the series great.

Rem only became popular by the end of arc 2 i.e. about 40% of the way through. By then re:zero was already the most popular Spring 2016 anime.

She's only one of the factors that make re:zero popular, and by no means the only one. Re:zero is popular for a lot of other reasons (the isekai protagonist deconstruction aspect, time travel, the gore / suffering and overall high production values...), not only because of Rem.

In the same vein, Kurisu is a very popular waifu character (the most popular on MAL, actually), yet there are many other reasons why Steins;gate is so popular.
Jul 17, 2017 3:01 AM

Mar 2010
@Gazz

Nobidexx basically said everything I was going to say. Besides Subaru and Emilia Re:Zero has very strong secondary cast with a lot of favorites in them to the point the fandom on places like twitter celebrates their individual birthdays. This is because they aren't sidelined like most series because almost every character has enough going on, (which includes their backstories) they aren't simply just revolving around Subaru but rather their agnecies get intertwined with his. In fact Rem actually isn't very special characterwise because the kind of development she gets is the norm by the story's standards and has been surpassed by several other characters (Subaru, Emilia, Wilhelm etc) later on.

When S2 hits you will a much more even spread of love even if Rem still remains the most popular out of early attachement.

Nobidexx said:
Rem only became popular by the end of arc 2 i.e. about 40% of the way through. By then re:zero was already the most popular Spring 2016 anime.

Small correction but Arc 3 is what made her popular, end of Arc 2 simply made her likable after being hated for nearly the entire arc.
Iron_MawJul 17, 2017 3:11 AM
Jul 18, 2017 5:37 AM

Jun 2012
TobiOrNotTobi said:
GangsterCat said:
1.isekai
2.time reset
3.waifu

A waifu doesn't make the show good... just saying...

Yeah but it can make you like the show.
I really like Rem so it kept me watching and entertained.
It's not the best anime but it's definitely worth the time I spent on.
Plus it's kinda more "dramatic" (let's say) than other isekai anime. It kinda makes it unique in its own way. Seeing Subaru struggling this much made me feel bad, and not a lot of "dramatic" anime made me feel that way (if they were even dramatic to begin with...). Plus it has some character development I'd say (especially Rem and Subaru's relations), even though I found the ending a little pushy but whatever. I don't think there'd be a second season. Which is a great thing I suppose?

Though I agree people praise it too much. I just found it nice. Not bad or very good, just worth my time like I said.

And mostly because of Rem. At least for me. I'm not into the waifu thingy anymore, but she was sweet and it's been a while I haven't liked a character this much (and watched anime to begin with, like, I finished Re:zero just 3 months ago lol), I'd say since I finished Evangelion (which is my fav anime).

And time travelling has always been a difficult and fragile subject. And this show seemed to deal with this in a good way I think, travelling through time because you die isn't a very bad idea.
PsychedeliciousJul 18, 2017 5:45 AM
Jul 19, 2017 10:59 AM

Mar 2010
Sairyuu69 said:
TobiOrNotTobi said:

A waifu doesn't make the show good... just saying...

Plus it's kinda more "dramatic" (let's say) than other isekai anime. It kinda makes it unique in its own way. Seeing Subaru struggling this much made me feel bad, and not a lot of "dramatic" anime made me feel that way (if they were even dramatic to begin with...). Plus it has some character development I'd say (especially Rem and Subaru's relations), even though I found the ending a little pushy but whatever. I don't think there'd be a second season. Which is a great thing I suppose?

Though I agree people praise it too much. I just found it nice. Not bad or very good, just worth my time like I said.

And mostly because of Rem. At least for me. I'm not into the waifu thingy anymore, but she was sweet and it's been a while I haven't liked a character this much (and watched anime to begin with, like, I finished Re:zero just 3 months ago lol), I'd say since I finished Evangelion (which is my fav anime).

And time travelling has always been a difficult and fragile subject. And this show seemed to deal with this in a good way I think, travelling through time because you die isn't a very bad idea.

Yes, every show has one aspect or another that attracts viewers to it, but saying that only reason everyone likes it is ridiculous. Shows like Re:Zero don't get as popular as they due to one specific thing. The anime was watched over by many people with different tastes.
Jul 20, 2017 4:34 AM

Jun 2012
Jagd84 said:
Sairyuu69 said:

Yes, every show has one aspect or another that attracts viewers to it, but saying that only reason everyone likes it is ridiculous. Shows like Re:Zero don't get as popular as they due to one specific thing. The anime was watched over by many people with different tastes.

Yeah that's what I was saying, so I get your point.
Jul 21, 2017 5:41 AM

Jan 2008
It's really simple:

Swagernator said:
Because of Rem or what is her name.

Coranie said:
88% - female characters are potential waifu material
10% - betelgeuse waifu

ezaya said:
Because of waifu Emilia, Ram and Rem.

MortalMelancholy said:
I've only ever seen people praising the best grills, so they must be particularly good waifu material. Yes, it's awful if you aren't just looking for waifus.?

tragedydesu said:
Rem is the reason why people like this serie

Drackx said:
Second, you should see Chapter 15 and 18 to understand the magnificence of a waifu (Rem), even if you dont like Rem (like thousands of people who chose Emilia).

Hussin said:
oh and waifus.

DrGeroCreation said:
It's because of the waifus.

Felix-san said:
This anime is just popular because of Waifu Material. Period.

Those people understand...
Jul 21, 2017 7:48 AM

Oct 2009
@Darklord_bg , haha. didn't expect to get bump after so many months.

but again, Betelgeuse best waifu 👻🙃👍✨
Jul 21, 2017 8:20 PM

Jul 2017
You HAVE to finish it in order to appreciate it. Most people are uncomfortable around your point lol no surprises there just finish it.
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Jul 21, 2017 8:26 PM

Oct 2014
they are not anymore, pretty much nobody talks about this anymore, outside of the people asking why is this show so praised or overrated
Jul 21, 2017 8:41 PM

Mar 2010
gabrielrroiz said:
they are not anymore, pretty much nobody talks about this anymore, outside of the people asking why is this show so praised or overrated

Except it is still talk about praised and hated by a vocal minority. Discussion has just died down because not airing anymore. You know like every other show.
Jul 21, 2017 8:49 PM

Oct 2014
Jagd84 said:
gabrielrroiz said:

Except it is still talk about praised and hated by a vocal minority. Discussion has just died down because not airing anymore. You know like every other show.

Jagd84 said:
gabrielrroiz said:

And i am referring to this common decrease in discssion of the show
When i read a thread about how there are lots of people praising the show, when that is far from the case anymore, and the vocal hate minority are the ones that are still present and critising the show, I just fail to see the point of the whole thing
Jul 22, 2017 3:23 PM

Dec 2012
I keep trying to finish it but it feels like they're just fighting this stupid whale thing forever, and I keep giving up, falling asleep. The only good parts of the show are when Subaru dies or suffers somehow. Otherwise, it's boring as hell.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jul 22, 2017 10:11 PM
Jul 2018
gabrielrroiz said:
t
Jagd84 said:

And i am referring to this common decrease in discssion of the show
When i read a thread about how there are lots of people praising the show, when that is far from the case anymore, and the vocal hate minority are the ones that are still present and critising the show, I just fail to see the point of the whole thing

Just children hating on it for being not what they wanted it to be, and trolls getting some entertainment outta the place.

Just read the post just above this one.

And oh there are similar others more above.
removed-userJul 22, 2017 10:15 PM
Jul 23, 2017 8:51 AM
Jul 2017
I like Subaru. I like his development and character. I like the character designs, and the inclusion of a male cast besides just one boy and a million girls. I like how Subaru has to grow, and I enjoy watching the poor guy suffer. I like the ongoing mystery, and the concept. All in all, fun show. U don't have to finish it if you don't like it. everyone has opinions.
Jul 25, 2017 4:10 AM
Mar 2017
Because the MC is awesome, in my opinion, this show has better plot and character development than other anime with the same concept.
Jul 25, 2017 5:33 AM
Jul 2018
TobiOrNotTobi said:
I've watched 13 episodes so far for this series

Props to you OP. You managed to go that far, unlike me.
Jul 28, 2017 5:28 PM
Jul 2018
-Isekai
-Time reset
-Suffering
=
-great anime, apparently.

The standards of the community are extremely shallow.
Nobody cares about the lack of real stakes, plot progression, psychological exploration, actual character development, a reason to actually care about what happens
Jul 28, 2017 5:41 PM
Jul 2018
Jagd84 said:
Sairyuu69 said:

Seriously guys? Have you read the discussions of the anime of the first few esp? This trash was WAY popular before Rem. Hell, I participated in those discussions myself.
Jul 29, 2017 3:24 AM

Jun 2017
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

-Isekai
-Time reset
-Suffering
=

Nobody cares about the lack of real stakes, plot progression, psychological exploration, actual character development, a reason to actually care about what happens

It does have all of these points. Please explain how there are no real stakes, plot progression or any reason to care about what happens.

ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Jagd84 said:

Seriously guys? Have you read the discussions of the anime of the first few esp? This trash was WAY popular before Rem. Hell, I participated in those discussions myself.
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Jagd84 said:

You participated in these discussions with an account created 2 weeks ago? You're either lying or using an alt account / creating a new one after having been banned (both of which are forbidden).
Jul 29, 2017 3:50 AM

May 2017
Jagd84 said:
Because

1. It's not your typical Isekai.
  2. It's pretty well written story doesn't exist just to scream about how awesome it's MC is.
  3. It fosters good development for Subaru which transforms him from a typical NEET and into actual hero.
  4. Most of the characters clearly have their own agency and goals that don't revolve around Subaru.
  5. Has intriguing world lore and mystery that slowly reveals itself as the story progress encouraging theorycraft about how and why Subaru was brought this world.
  6. Fantastic directing, with proper mood transitions and setup.
  7. Good audiovisual that enhance it's story especially in it's most dramatic moments.
  8. People have opinions.

He wasn't a typical NEET even from the start

He's shallow and probably the worst badly written character ever

https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=254110
Jul 29, 2017 3:52 AM

May 2017
Jul 29, 2017 8:54 AM

Mar 2010
World_Creator said:
Jagd84 said:
Because

1. It's not your typical Isekai.
  2. It's pretty well written story doesn't exist just to scream about how awesome it's MC is.
  3. It fosters good development for Subaru which transforms him from a typical NEET and into actual hero.
  4. Most of the characters clearly have their own agency and goals that don't revolve around Subaru.
  5. Has intriguing world lore and mystery that slowly reveals itself as the story progress encouraging theorycraft about how and why Subaru was brought this world.
  6. Fantastic directing, with proper mood transitions and setup.
  7. Good audiovisual that enhance it's story especially in it's most dramatic moments.
  8. People have opinions.

Linking to your review was meaningless to me. The fact that you think anyone is saying he gets development from suffering alone shows alone you no idea what good writing is. Adversity no more than vehicle for a character to get development and it can come in any kind of form and in various extremes both internal and external. He's growth not dependent whether you like him or not either, because it has nothing to do with your perspective but if can start overcoming he's own issues. Not one of you points in your remotely touch a upon he's a good character, just whining about him not being a "cool enough" character rather than compelling human one. Your opinion is the one thing that is shallow here.
Jul 29, 2017 9:38 AM

Feb 2013

"The dumbest most annoying retarded useless autistic MC you'll ever see (a brainless MC)"

Wow that's a very strong argument you got there, well thought out. Really good explanation without the use of any buzzwords.
Jul 29, 2017 9:42 AM

May 2017
Jagd84 said:
World_Creator said:

Linking to your review was meaningless to me. The fact that you think anyone is saying he gets development from suffering alone shows alone you no idea what good writing is. Adversity no more than vehicle for a character to get development and it can come in any kind of form and in various extremes both internal and external. He's growth not dependent whether you like him or not either, because it has nothing to do with your perspective but if can start overcoming he's own issues. Not one of you points in your remotely touch a upon he's a good character, just whining about him not being a "cool enough" character rather than compelling human one. Your opinion is the one thing that is shallow here.

Salty...

Didn't imply the suffering is a development tho, it's not a development, just a grammatical error, that was for the fans who thinks suffering is a development

If it's so shallow why'd you replied?

"cool enough" I never implied that. More like a bad written hiki NEET

"good character" oh so a kind character is automatically a well written character for you? *face palm*

It's not even an opinion, it's a fact.

Comeback when you have an argument not your biased hurt feelings
Jul 29, 2017 9:49 AM

May 2017
Champ said:

"The dumbest most annoying retarded useless autistic MC you'll ever see (a brainless MC)"

Wow that's a very strong argument you got there, well thought out. Really good explanation without the use of any buzzwords.

Personal opinion of the MC is the only thing you noticed in my review and even called it an argument? Not even an argument, it's a fact that the MC is an autist

Comeback when you even have an argument not your hurt feelings, and keep defending your husband (Shitbaru)
Jul 29, 2017 10:01 AM

May 2015
YayaChibi said:
lol me.
Myth and Roid as well as Konomi Suzuki were the reasons I watched it, and I stood for Rem and Ram lol.
Honestly its shit lol

Honestly it's not lol.

Jul 29, 2017 10:37 AM

Jun 2017
World_Creator said:

Overused AF premise

If by that you mean isekai, then no. Isekai is overused in the light novel format, not in the anime format (at least when Re:Zero aired, though not that many new isekai have been released since then anyway). Before Re:Zero we had No Game No Life, Grimgar, Konosuba,
Gate, and a few others, for a grand total of around 15 isekai (maybe 20 if you count "trapped in a game" like SAO and Log Horizon as isekai).

You do realize how low 15-20 is compared to the ~ 8000 anime listed on MAL, right?

There are a lot more fantasy anime without the isekai trope, mecha, magical girl, highschool anime than isekai. This trope is far from being "overused AF", and Re:Zero adds a very interesting twist to it. You might hate it, but that doesn't mean it's suddenly everywhere and overused.

and plot

What do you mean by "overused plot"? Care to define what you consider the plot to be, and what makes it overused?

Suffering is not a development

No idea what you're trying to say here. Do you mean "Suffering is not character development"? Well nobody said that. It just caused Subaru's character to develop.

Potentially invincible ability gives the show no sense of danger (MC is just too dumb to realize)

You do know that the MC is invincible in pretty much every single story until (maybe) the very end, right? There's never any real danger for the MC in other anime either (can you give me a list of anime where the MC dies halfway through and isn't brought back?). At least in Re:Zero when Subaru gets into a fight (or any sort of danger), there are 2 possible outcomes (he dies, or he survives), whereas other anime only have 1 (the MC survives).

Also, he doesn't know whether he's invincible or not. He doesn't know if he has infinite lives (he states so himself in episode 7) or if it has other limitations, which is why he doesn't act as if he were invincible. For the viewer it's pretty obvious it's infinite, because we know this is fiction and it would be stupid if it could end on "Subaru has spent all his lives. The end.", but from Subaru's PoV there's no reason to believe there's no limit after dying about 10 times.

Ripped off Yusuke's spirit gun, Elfen Lied's vectors (unseen hands), Beserk's God Hand (Sin Archbishops) it's fans be like "UNIQUE"

It didn't rip off spirit gun, I don't think you understood that scene (or maybe you haven't actually watched the anime and just ripped off that idea from Gigguk's video?). There's very little in common between Berserk's God Hand and the Sin Archbishops, no idea where you're getting that from. As for unseen hands, that's a pretty common ability in fantasy. This is like accusing Warcraft of being a ripoff of Dungeon and Dragons because it has fireballs...

The dumbest most annoying retarded useless autistic MC you'll ever see (a brainless MC)

Care to explain precisely what makes him "retarded", "useless", "autistic", "brainless"?

Reason of suffering: Trying to get my waifu to like me because it's my otaku fetish

So trying to get someone of the opposite sex to like you is an otaku fetish now? And he's not suffering for that reason, he's suffering because other people want to kill her, to kill Rem and destroy the village or to kill Subaru himself.

instead of bothering to find more about the world he went in

Which he does. He read books and legends about the world he found himself in, as evidenced in episode 6.

Could actually resolve things with resets and would learn more on it based on failures but still acts silly just for the sake of it

He resolved things with resets, as he learned from his past failures. Every single death brought him useful information that he used to deal with the problems at hand (he would've never been able to establish his plan in episode 19 if he hadn't died earlier, for example).

Or maybe are you just implying that someone as clever as you would have solved everything faster and in a better way? How?

while not caring about his previous world

Maybe because there isn't much for him to care about in his previous world? It's implied that he had no friends in his previous life, and that it was shit.
Jul 29, 2017 10:57 AM

May 2017
Nobidexx said:
World_Creator said:

Overused AF premise

If by that you mean isekai, then no. Isekai is overused in the light novel format, not in the anime format (at least when Re:Zero aired, though not that many new isekai have been released since then anyway). Before Re:Zero we had No Game No Life, Grimgar, Konosuba,
Gate, and a few others, for a grand total of around 15 isekai (maybe 20 if you count "trapped in a game" like SAO and Log Horizon as isekai).

You do realize how low 15-20 is compared to the ~ 8000 anime listed on MAL, right?

There are a lot more fantasy anime without the isekai trope, mecha, magical girl, highschool anime than isekai. This trope is far from being "overused AF", and Re:Zero adds a very interesting twist to it. You might hate it, but that doesn't mean it's suddenly everywhere and overused.

and plot

What do you mean by "overused plot"? Care to define what you consider the plot to be, and what makes it overused?

Suffering is not a development

No idea what you're trying to say here. Do you mean "Suffering is not character development"? Well nobody said that. It just caused Subaru's character to develop.

Potentially invincible ability gives the show no sense of danger (MC is just too dumb to realize)

You do know that the MC is invincible in pretty much every single story until (maybe) the very end, right? There's never any real danger for the MC in other anime either (can you give me a list of anime where the MC dies halfway through and isn't brought back?). At least in Re:Zero when Subaru gets into a fight (or any sort of danger), there are 2 possible outcomes (he dies, or he survives), whereas other anime only have 1 (the MC survives).

Also, he doesn't know whether he's invincible or not. He doesn't know if he has infinite lives (he states so himself in episode 7) or if it has other limitations, which is why he doesn't act as if he were invincible. For the viewer it's pretty obvious it's infinite, because we know this is fiction and it would be stupid if it could end on "Subaru has spent all his lives. The end.", but from Subaru's PoV there's no reason to believe there's no limit after dying about 10 times.

Ripped off Yusuke's spirit gun, Elfen Lied's vectors (unseen hands), Beserk's God Hand (Sin Archbishops) it's fans be like "UNIQUE"

It didn't rip off spirit gun, I don't think you understood that scene (or maybe you haven't actually watched the anime and just ripped off that idea from Gigguk's video?). There's very little in common between Berserk's God Hand and the Sin Archbishops, no idea where you're getting that from. As for unseen hands, that's a pretty common ability in fantasy. This is like accusing Warcraft of being a ripoff of Dungeon and Dragons because it has fireballs...

The dumbest most annoying retarded useless autistic MC you'll ever see (a brainless MC)

Care to explain precisely what makes him "retarded", "useless", "autistic", "brainless"?

Reason of suffering: Trying to get my waifu to like me because it's my otaku fetish

So trying to get someone of the opposite sex to like you is an otaku fetish now? And he's not suffering for that reason, he's suffering because other people want to kill her, to kill Rem and destroy the village or to kill Subaru himself.

instead of bothering to find more about the world he went in

Which he does. He read books and legends about the world he found himself in, as evidenced in episode 6.

Could actually resolve things with resets and would learn more on it based on failures but still acts silly just for the sake of it

He resolved things with resets, as he learned from his past failures. Every single death brought him useful information that he used to deal with the problems at hand (he would've never been able to establish his plan in episode 19 if he hadn't died earlier, for example).

Or maybe are you just implying that someone as clever as you would have solved everything faster and in a better way? How?

while not caring about his previous world

Maybe because there isn't much for him to care about in his previous world? It's implied that he had no friends in his previous life, and that it was shit.

Your argument is so weak bro, you're biased and clearly your feelings are hurt

And you do know that that review is about the anime right? Bringing up beyond the anime (LN events) clearly shows how desperate the fans of this show are, you guys have 0 logic
Jul 29, 2017 11:52 AM

May 2015
@World_Creator And where's your arguments?

Jul 29, 2017 11:55 AM

Jun 2017
World_Creator said:

Your argument is so weak bro, you're biased

Maybe it is weak (you still need to demonstrate it), but at least I have an argument.

World_Creator said:

And you do know that that review is about the anime right? Bringing up beyond the anime (LN events) clearly shows how desperate the fans of this show are, you guys have 0 logic

I didn't bring up anything that wasn't in the anime.
Jul 29, 2017 5:59 PM

Mar 2010
World_Creator said:
Jagd84 said:

Salty...

Didn't imply the suffering is a development tho, it's not a development, just a grammatical error, that was for the fans who thinks suffering is a development

"good character" oh so a kind character is automatically a well written character for you? *face palm*

Salty? Who? Do you even know what your saying? Where did I say suffering=development? Did you even READ my post? Suffering=conflict which facilitates development, it's not end by itself. Frankly I don't care about what you think anyway when you clearly lack a fundamental understand of what makes a good character.
Jul 29, 2017 8:02 PM

May 2017
Jagd84 said:
World_Creator said:

Salty...

Salty? Who? Do you even know what your saying? Where did I say suffering=development? Did you even READ my post? Suffering=conflict which facilitates development, it's not end by itself. Frankly I don't care about what you think anyway when you clearly lack a fundamental understand of what makes a good character.

Obviously, that was meant for the fans who thinks Suffering is a development it was just a grammatical error in my review
Jul 29, 2017 9:38 PM

Mar 2010
World_Creator said:
Jagd84 said:

Obviously, that was meant for the fans who thinks Suffering is a development it was just a grammatical error in my review

Not even worth it.
Jul 29, 2017 10:15 PM
Jul 2018
Nobidexx said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

-Isekai
-Time reset
-Suffering
=

It does have all of these points. Please explain how there are no real stakes, plot progression or any reason to care about what happens.

Stakes are when there are things to be losed in a story, when the protagonist can fail.
Subaru can't fail because he can just reset. Nothing in the anime suggests otherwise, and hell, even around ep 12, he says something like, "I can just reset".

When I say plot progression, I'm talking about the fact that none of the important questions are answered within 25 episodes, nor does the story have an exact structure.
Is Re: Zero episodic? No.
Does it have a basic endgoal? No.
Hell, does it consist of self-contained arcs that tie up nearly all the loose ends you care about like One Piece? No.
So what is the anime going for?
Re: Zero is basically that book I tried to write in middles school, where you literally have 0 clue on what direction the story is taking, because it's constantly flipfloping faster than a bipolar person.

Why should I care about this random female character introduced early on named Emilia? Why should I care about Felt? Why should I care about some random beasts and a maid who will kill someone literally because they smell like crap?

Screaming a lot is not "psychological". Having ONE nightmare is not "psychological".
What would be psychological?
If the anime truly explored the horrific effects RTBD had on Subaru.
-How interesting would it be if he showed signs of phoabia towards knives, because Elsa killed him with one.
-How interesting would it be if he became so detatched from his peers that he would *consistantly* (not ONCE) bicker with them.
-How interesting would it be if Subaru would be mentally tortured when theorizing that he'll never die, even when he's old, that he'll be stuck in an endless loop.
-How interesting it'd be that Subaru stops valuing his life and well-being entirely, because he'll just come back.

Actual character development is not accomplished by having 3-4 episodes dedicated to telling how creap your protagonist is, or explaining his backstory.
Berserk is a classic example of this. In 25 episodes, we learn where Guts came from, how he grew up, why he's an asshole, what lead to him to stop being an asshole, what lead to him slowly pursue his own dreams, and what ultimately lead him to being the cold-hearted asshole in ep 1.
Hell, in the very 1st ep of Naruto, we learn how Naruto grew up, why he behaves the way he does, and what and why his dream is to become hokage, so that no matter how annoying he is, he's still likeable, because it's understandable why he's annoying, and within 25 episodes, Naruto slowly and *subtley* matures.
All we see of Subaru's life is him in a groccery story at night getting ramen with a sour face, and that he was lazy.
No, having a sour look on your face does not mean your life was crap, it just means you had a bad day.
No, going out to eat ramen at night does not mean your relationship with your family sucks, it just probably means you like junk food.
No, glancing at a couple does not mean you're a loser, it just means your jealous because you don't have a girlfriend too, something extremely common among teenagers.
And no, I watched eps 1 and 2 twice, and haven't found a single shot of Subaru's phone showing only a few contacts.

ThatCynicalOtaku said:

ThatCynicalOtaku said:

You participated in these discussions with an account created 2 weeks ago? You're either lying or using an alt account / creating a new one after having been banned (both of which are forbidden).

Oh sorry, I haven't made that clear. I only read the Re: Zero ep discussions, but at the time it was airing, I did discuss it with other friends who aren't on MAL.
removed-userJul 29, 2017 10:41 PM
Jul 29, 2017 10:31 PM
Jul 2018
checked your profile. I assume you're a woman? this show isn't very women-friendly. maybe that.
Jul 30, 2017 1:20 AM

Mar 2010
@Punpun3

Re:Zero has strong and notable female fanbase at least among the Asian community and the series even won 2nd place on the female orientated Otmart magazine on it's best anime of 2016 poll among it's readers. Furthermore most of the important, powerful and relevant characters in the story are women. It's certainly female friendly, it's more like World_Creator is just a troll regardless of gender.
Iron_MawJul 30, 2017 1:29 AM
Jul 30, 2017 1:45 AM
Jul 2018
It doesn't have fanservice for woman like the anime she likes.
Jul 30, 2017 1:55 AM

Mar 2010
@Punpun3

Sure I can buy that (tho Otto, Julius, Reinhard and even Subaru are decently popular among the ladies from what I've have observed on twitter), but it's not the same thing as not being female friendly. There is very little in the way of fanservice in the series in general anyway.
Jul 30, 2017 10:43 AM

Sep 2016
Nobidexx said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

-Isekai
-Time reset
-Suffering
=

Stakes are when there are things to be losed in a story, when the protagonist can fail.
Subaru can't fail because he can just reset. Nothing in the anime suggests otherwise, and hell, even around ep 12, he says something like, "I can just reset".

That’s ridiculous. Throughout the story, Subaru’ goal was to save/help the people he cares about.
The stakes are that he can fail if he abandons them.

When I say plot progression, I'm talking about the fact that none of the important questions are answered within 25 episodes, nor does the story have an exact structure.

That’s ridiculous again. It’s like saying we must condensate “The lord of the ring” or the “Harry Potter’ series” into a single movie. It’d ruin the pacing.

Hell, does it consist of self-contained arcs that tie up nearly all the loose ends you care about like One Piece? No.
So what is the anime going for?
Re: Zero is basically that book I tried to write in middles school, where you literally have 0 clue on what direction the story is taking, because it's constantly flipfloping faster than a bipolar person.

A character has a desire, a goal. What we call the plot are the steps he’ll have to take to realize his desire.

To have a story, you need conflicts. To have a conflict, you need an antagonist that clash with the protagonist’ goal.

Subaru’ goal is to protect/help the people he loves (Emilia, Rem, Ram… etc).

Had you used your brain, and assuming you’re not trolling, you’d have realized that throughout the 25 ep, we were introduced to antagonists who wanted to harm the persons Subaru cherish. (Elsa and her mysterious employer, the others candidates and the witch ‘cult).

So……. “Drum rolls sound”

So yeah plenty of clues for the future.

Why should I care about this random female character introduced early on named Emilia? Why should I care about Felt? Why should I care about some random beasts and a maid who will kill someone literally because they smell like crap?

Because they matter in the overall story? One is a protagonist, the second an antagonist, and the third

Screaming a lot is not "psychological". Having ONE nightmare is not "psychological".

Psychological relate to the mind of individual.

What would be psychological?

-The characters behavior in particular situation
-How they face their past and moving on
-How they endure trauma

Actual character development is not accomplished by having 3-4 episodes dedicated to telling how creap your protagonist is, or explaining his backstory.

Where is it written?

A character development is a change that a character undergoes during a story. It can be done in just 1 ep if you want to.

All we see of Subaru's life is him in a groccery story at night getting ramen with a sour face, and that he was lazy.
No, having a sour look on your face does not mean your life was crap, it just means you had a bad day.
No, going out to eat ramen at night does not mean your relationship with your family sucks, it just probably means you like junk food.
No, glancing at a couple does not mean you're a loser, it just means your jealous because you don't have a girlfriend too, something extremely common among teenagers.

Plz, you’re kidding right? That’s an indirect way of exposition.

They’re all cliché about neet/hikkiminori.

Do you absolutely need to be spoon-fed? Can’t you think for 2 sec?

And no, I watched eps 1 and 2 twice, and haven't found a single shot of Subaru's phone showing only a few contacts.

Ep 1 around 5 min in. Tho it’s only in jap so I can’t actually tell.

Jul 30, 2017 12:09 PM

Jun 2017
You should fix your quote, it seems your answer is contained in the message I wrote that you quoted.

ThatCynicalOtaku said:

If by failing you mean dying, then no, in almost every other story the protagonist can't die until the very end of the series. Because if he did, there would be no story left to tell. Can you name any anime where the protagonist dies (and isn't brought back) halfway through?

There are actual stakes in Re:Zero's fights, because unlike other anime where the outcome of any fight where the MC is involved is obvious (i.e. "he survives"), in Re:Zero you have 2 possible outcomes ("he survives" or "he dies"), as evidenced fairly often.

And RbD does in no way mean he can resolve any bad situation or side character death. He DEFINITELY can still lose things or people.

He might believe that, but it doesn't mean it will work. He wasn't able to resolve his failure during episode 13 through RbD, for example.

When I say plot progression, I'm talking about the fact that none of the important questions are answered within 25 episodes.

There are several key mysteries in this story. Given that the story covers only the first three arcs (i.e. about 15% of the story), it's fairly obvious that you won't get a definite answer.
Yet, the anime provides many hints. You should be able to guess who summoned him to this world, have an idea why, you should know he wasn't the only one, and you also got hints as to how his ability actually works (at least if you paid attention when you watched it).

Yes. The endgoal, at least at the point the story ends, is to get Emilia to win the royal election and become queen. And it's been that since the beginning of arc 2.

Yes it does. The anime ends slightly before the end of arc 3 so you don't get to know what happens to all the other characters, but otherwise they're self-contained, while still following an overarching plot.

If you have 0 clue about the direction this story is taking, then you definitely haven't paid much attention while watching.

Why should I care about this random female character introduced early on named Emilia? Why should I care about Felt? Why should I care about some random beasts

Why should I care about anything that happens in an anime? It's fiction after all!

This argument can be applied to any anime and isn't any better than saying "it's bad because it's bad!". Whether or not you care for a character is very subjective. But at least the anime does give you reasons to care for its major characters. Each of them is given a background, goals and a role in the plot, as well as reasonable amount of screentime (though the focus is still on Subaru).

and a maid who will kill someone literally because they smell like crap?

She doesn't kill him because he smells like crap. Have you actually watched the anime?

From her PoV, there are many legitimate reasons to believe he's a spy and thus follow and interrogate him:

- He's supposedly never been to this mansion before, yet he knows things he's not supposed to know (because of his experience in the previous loops)
- He has a notebook where he writes things in an unknown (perhaps coded) language (that's the kind of stuff a spy would do)
- Before leaving, he steals a knife from the kitchen
- Rather than going away as he said he would, he watches over the mansion during the night, armed with the aforementioned knife
- And the most important one, he doesn't "smell like crap", rather he bears a smell that signifies he belongs to an organization that killed her family, crippled her sister and is known for hunting down half-elves like Emilia.

Isn't that extremely suspicious?

She's not even the one who kills him by the way, Ram does it. She was just torturing him.

It isn't just "screaming" and you know it. Anyone who's actually watched this anime will agree on that.

-How interesting would it be if he showed signs of phoabia towards knives, because Elsa killed him with one.

He does develop reactions like that, albeit not for knives. Remember how he freaked out in episode 6 when he heard the sound of the chains on Roswaal's boots? They made the same sound as Rem's morningstar in episode 5.

-How interesting would it be if he became so detatched from his peers that he would *consistantly* (not ONCE) bicker with them.

That didn't only happen in episode 13. It was the case in episodes 16 and 17 too - given the way he "negotiated" with the other candidates and Emilia, he didn't seem very sane to me.

His many deaths had an effect on the way he interacted with other people in arc 2 as well. In the first 2 loops he acted rather normally (for Subaru), he still had his cheerful attitude. In the third loop he already started distancing himself from others, and by the 4th loop he completely isolated himself and basically didn't talk to anyone save for Betty.
Finally, at the beginning of the 5th loop he did the exact opposite and hid his pain and anxiety behind a ridiculously over the top cheerful and happy facade.

-How interesting would it be if Subaru would be mentally tortured when theorizing that he'll never die, even when he's old, that he'll be stuck in an endless loop.

He doesn't know whether he has infinite lives (as he states himself in episode 7), and there's no reason for him to believe it's infinite. So of course he won't theorize about that. Especially given that he's got more pressing matters to deal with, it's not like he's living a peaceful life and can worry about what'll happen 50 years in the future.

-How interesting it'd be that Subaru stops valuing his life and well-being entirely, because he'll just come back.

He develops progressively over the course of the anime, not just in 3 or 4 episodes. And his backstory hasn't even been explained yet (though it's been hinted at plenty of times so far).

This is an anime, if they show scenes like this it's for a purpose. It's to show who this (still unknown) character is, to define him (i.e. characterization). If he'd just had a bad day, they would've shown why.
It's also fairly easy to infer that he thought his life was crap given the way he reacts to being summoned to another world (i.e. with hope and joy). Someone who dreams of escaping to another world and reacts positively when that does happen surely can't like his current life.

Well, you didn't watch them carefully enough. At about 4:50 in episode 1. His only contacts are "city hall", "mom", "dad", "pizza".

NobidexxJul 30, 2017 12:19 PM
Jul 30, 2017 12:41 PM

Feb 2016
Because i watched/read something and enjoyed the heck out of it,
Thats why,

Jul 30, 2017 1:57 PM

Apr 2014
Punpun3 said:
checked your profile. I assume you're a woman? this show isn't very women-friendly. maybe that.

"isn't very women-friendly"
what makes the show non women-friendly? That's very ignorant of you to say considering a lot of girls watch anime, and I'm pretty sure the anime most girls watch are not the ones that make your heart feel all fluffy.

I can pretty much watch any anime genre as long as the show is good. Fantasy is one of my favorite genres, and Re:Zero is a fantasy, it just failed to grab a hold of my attention.

Punpun3 said:
It doesn't have fanservice for woman like the anime she likes.

Like I said, you have to be extremely ignorant to think that women only like anime if it has fanservice. Check back when your mind is in the right order. Sure, a lot of anime I watched does have fanservice, but that doesn't mean I watched the anime because it had fanservice (to be honest I don't really get anything out of fanservice). You never really know if an anime has fanservice until you watch the series (unless it's ecchi or hentai).

I also admit that I do watch/read yaoi, and that is an entrie genre dedicated to fanservice. We all have our guilty pleasures, but when it comes to the majority of anime, the story has to be good in order to enjoy the show.

And very good for figuring out that I'm actually a girl. However, in the near future, don't just assume that someone else is a girl just because of the anime that's on their list.
TobiOrNotTobiJul 30, 2017 2:01 PM
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Jul 30, 2017 3:53 PM
Jul 2018
sorry for assuming your gender
Jul 30, 2017 5:17 PM

Apr 2014
Punpun3 said:
sorry for assuming your gender

I was just speaking for other people. You never know who watches what :)

Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

34 by Okeanix »»
Yesterday, 4:32 PM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.