Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 15, 2017 6:04 AM

Apr 2014
I've watched 13 episodes so far for this series, and I just don't know if I can bring myself to finish it because of how awful it is. I'm trying to give this show a chance, but I don't know...

Is it because I didn't get to the good part of the series, or will it continue to be an awful series?

Just please tell me why people think it's just such a good show. I know it's their opinion, but it seems that a lot of people enjoyed the show, and I feel like I'm in the minority here (like I've missed something).

I think it can be a lot better if Subaru wasn't such an awful MC (I think these kind of MCs tend to annoy me the most because of how their minds work). I give credit to Emilia for breaking the friendship (although I'm guessing in an episode or two they'll be friends again.. so just for the time being credits to her).

The openings and endings are good though.

Edit: I ended up watching this series up to episode 18 (I couldn't take it anymore after that).
TobiOrNotTobiJul 29, 2017 4:00 PM
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 15, 2017 6:04 AM

Sep 2016
1.isekai
2.time reset
3.waifu
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 15, 2017 6:05 AM

Apr 2014
GangsterCat said:
1.isekai
2.time reset
3.waifu

A waifu doesn't make the show good... just saying...
Mar 15, 2017 6:13 AM

Jul 2013
TobiOrNotTobi said:
GangsterCat said:
1.isekai
2.time reset
3.waifu

Say that to the 12210 people who has Rem in favourites. It's more, there are a lot of people who only gave a 10 to the series just for Rem (watch the 18th episode of the series and you will understand).
Mar 15, 2017 6:15 AM

Apr 2014
Illyricus said:
TobiOrNotTobi said:

Say that to the 12210 people who has Rem in favourites. It's more, there are a lot of people who only gave a 10 to the series just for Rem (watch the 18th episode of the series and you will understand).

I'll look forward to it.
Mar 15, 2017 6:16 AM
Captain Eyepatch

Dec 2015
Apart from Rem, the MC goes to a big change from being a optimistic guy to someone that doesn't want to live anymore (he'll just respawn.. so that makes it even worse).

Furthermore, the serie gets darker the longer it goes on. And some people (including me) like that.
Mar 15, 2017 6:37 AM

Jun 2011
its edgy and everrrbody likes edgy stuff, didja see ep 15
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 15, 2017 6:40 AM

Apr 2014
ToG25thBaam said:
its edgy and everrrbody likes edgy stuff, didja see ep 15

I wouldn't call it edgy
Mar 15, 2017 7:37 AM

Sep 2013
It's the best show of 2016, fught me.
sic mundus
Mar 15, 2017 7:56 AM

Apr 2016
Because of Rem or what is her name.
Mar 15, 2017 8:55 AM
Jul 2018

Ye. It's always the same.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
AlfyanMar 15, 2017 5:36 PM
Mar 15, 2017 9:37 AM

Mar 2010
Because

1. It's not your typical Isekai.
  2. It's pretty well written story doesn't exist just to scream about how awesome it's MC is.
  3. It fosters good development for Subaru which transforms him from a typical NEET and into actual hero.
  4. Most of the characters clearly have their own agency and goals that don't revolve around Subaru.
  5. Has intriguing world lore and mystery that slowly reveals itself as the story progress encouraging theorycraft about how and why Subaru was brought this world.
  6. Fantastic directing, with proper mood transitions and setup.
  7. Good audiovisual that enhance it's story especially in it's most dramatic moments.
  8. People have opinions.
Iron_MawMar 15, 2017 10:11 AM
Mar 17, 2017 8:00 PM
Nov 2016
Jagd84 said:
Because

2. It's pretty well written story doesn't exist just to scream about how awesome it's MC is.
  3. It fosters good development for Subaru which transforms him from a typical NEET and into actual hero.
  4. Most of the characters clearly have their own agency and goals that don't revolve around Subaru.
  5. Has intriguing world lore and mystery that slowly reveals itself as the story progress encouraging theorycraft about how and why Subaru was brought this world.
  7. Good audiovisual that enhance it's story especially in it's most dramatic moments.
  8. People have opinions.

While i agreed on your points to a certain degree, i dont understand why do you put character development into your list-of-pros of the show. It lacks character development, if there's any. Even for the MC. That's the major reason why people dislike this show, or so I thought. Subaru is annoying
Mar 17, 2017 9:49 PM

Mar 2010
samahin said:
Jagd84 said:
Because

8. People have opinions.

While i agreed on your points to a certain degree, i dont understand why do you put character development into your list-of-pros of the show. It lacks character development, if there's any. Even for the MC. That's the major reason why people dislike this show, or so I thought. Subaru is annoying

Those people dislike Subaru because he's imperfect and not ubermesch like Krito or genius like Tatsuya not because he doesn't develop. He mistakes, he doesn't anyways say the right nor does the world bend because he's protagonist. He use his pride as try make himself better than he is. This one of the major reasons why he's character develops, because he comes to terms with those flaws and tries better himself. Subaru is more human than a lot LN MC's because of that. Anyone hating him at end of series is doing so for petty reasons such as mistakes he made earlier.
Mar 20, 2017 5:31 AM
Feb 2017
people have bad taste.
DeletedUser666Feb 22, 2019 7:45 PM

Mar 20, 2017 5:42 AM

Mar 2017
TobiOrNotTobi said:
GangsterCat said:
1.isekai
2.time reset
3.waifu

depends, waifu 2B definitely makes Nier far better than it supposed 2B
2B or not 2B?
Mar 20, 2017 5:52 AM

Nov 2015
You ask that? Aren't you seeing a lot of things to consider here? Execution that hooks everyone, polarizing characters who are either so loved or so hated but realistic, fantasy world with interesting elements, unpredictable turning points, cliffhangers, foreshadowings, thrillers, and time travel in a unique way which leads to complex plot. But honestly if you didn't enjoy most of these aspects then you are doomed to feel awful, and even eventually start hating it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2017 5:53 AM

Oct 2009
88% - female characters are potential waifu material
10% - betelgeuse waifu
2% - story

just saying~
it is not great, but enjoyable.
Mar 21, 2017 2:31 PM

Apr 2014
AX3M said:
You ask that? Aren't you seeing a lot of things to consider here? Execution that hooks everyone, polarizing characters who are either so loved or so hated but realistic, fantasy world with interesting elements, unpredictable turning points, cliffhangers, foreshadowings, thrillers, and time travel in a unique way which leads to complex plot. But honestly if you didn't enjoy most of these aspects then you are doomed to feel awful, and even eventually start hating it.

I love fantasy and all the stuff the show has, but it's just the storyline.... I think they could have done better (from what I've seen so far).
Mar 21, 2017 9:54 PM

Apr 2009
Because of waifu Emilia, Ram and Rem.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 21, 2017 11:06 PM

Mar 2010
TobiOrNotTobi said:
AX3M said:

I love fantasy and all the stuff the show has, but it's just the storyline.... I think they could have done better (from what I've seen so far).

This personally has been one of the most interesting fantasy shows I've watched in a long time. Very few shows kept on the edge of my seat as this one has done nor have intrigue me as much with it's overall lore and how it affects Subaru and story in general like this. Part of that is beyond RBD Subaru is just a regular human who forced live and adapt to this dangerous new world within his own limits. He has no idea why Satella brought him here or what future plans she might have for him, not to mention (his own mysterious connections to the Witch Cult through the witch's scent) but all he could do is just try to survive and make what little life he can as it is as he drawn deeper into a larger conflict that is far bigger than he is.
Iron_MawMar 21, 2017 11:13 PM
Mar 23, 2017 5:10 AM

Nov 2016
It is a very fun show to watch. Fantastic music, great animation, interesting concept, and episode 18 is quite simply beautiful.
Mar 27, 2017 6:41 PM
Nov 2014
I don't know. To me, it's just, beautiful.
Mar 27, 2017 7:31 PM

Jul 2015
No idea I couldn't get past the first episode. I might give it another chance though since people love it so darn much(Or they just love Rem from what I've seen)
Mar 27, 2017 10:26 PM

Oct 2016
because we can see MC getting killed over and over again, it's very rare for an anime to let MC die like that
Mar 27, 2017 10:45 PM

Jan 2017
It;s not awful. Was a decent series. Way better than any fantasy , action thriller that we had this season.
"In this world, wherever there is light – there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exists, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars, and hatred is born to protect love."
-Madara Uchiha

Apr 1, 2017 3:33 AM
Jul 2012
Jagd84 said:
TobiOrNotTobi said:

This personally has been one of the most interesting fantasy shows I've watched in a long time. Very few shows kept on the edge of my seat as this one has done nor have intrigue me as much with it's overall lore and how it affects Subaru and story in general like this. Part of that is beyond RBD Subaru is just a regular human who forced live and adapt to this dangerous new world within his own limits. He has no idea why Satella brought him here or what future plans she might have for him, not to mention (his own mysterious connections to the Witch Cult through the witch's scent) but all he could do is just try to survive and make what little life he can as it is as he drawn deeper into a larger conflict that is far bigger than he is.

^Exactly what I'd say. I feel it is very realistic as I can genuinely imagine someone from real life act the way Natsuki Subaru does to what he goes through. I know I might if I was younger.
. I believe haters just fail to see what we see in that anime. Just like how I usually (but not always) suck at reading between the lines in poems and short stories and thus won't find much enjoyment from reading them, there are also people that won't gain what I got from watching this anime.

Different people have different views of the world around them.
When people tell me to stream anime on CR instead of downloading from fansub sites.

Apr 2, 2017 8:41 AM

Mar 2010
teubert2 said:
Jagd84 said:

^Exactly what I'd say. I feel it is very realistic as I can genuinely imagine someone from real life act the way Natsuki Subaru does to what he goes through. I know I might if I was younger.
. I believe haters just fail to see what we see in that anime. Just like how I usually (but not always) suck at reading between the lines in poems and short stories and thus won't find much enjoyment from reading them, there are also people that won't gain what I got from watching this anime.

Different people have different views of the world around them.

Wow... the Rika comparison is very spot on. :)
Apr 2, 2017 9:30 PM
Apr 2015
I think the show is good at attracting majority of people by using gores and extreme expressions ( screaming, yelling, crying, etc. ). And it make you either hate it or love it. For me it's a pass, as I can't tolerate how irrational the characters was, and the shallow story.
Apr 2, 2017 11:08 PM

Jul 2009
It comprises a lot of tropes people like-- cute girls, dark themes, time-travel, isekai, etc. Don't like it myself but it should be obvious why people enjoyed it.
Apr 5, 2017 9:19 AM

Jan 2017
the mc is really good compared to most protagonists of boy stuck in another world
Apr 5, 2017 9:20 AM

Sep 2009
I've only ever seen people praising the best grills, so they must be particularly good waifu material. Yes, it's awful if you aren't just looking for waifus.
SolidWoIf said:
the mc is really good compared to most protagonists of boy stuck in another world

Lol, good as in an annoying bitch that's even worse than Shinji Ikari, but also as a permanent character trait?
MortalMelancholyApr 5, 2017 9:24 AM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 5, 2017 9:21 AM

Jul 2016
I am not the only one that thinks that re:zero is overrated. Natsuki Subaru is just so annoying.
Apr 7, 2017 5:20 AM

Mar 2010
MortalMelancholy said:
I've only ever seen people praising the best grills, so they must be particularly good waifu material. Yes, it's awful if you aren't just looking for waifus.

Then you haven't been looking at many people then. Even in this thread very few mentioned the appearance or anything have to do with girls at all outside trolls or the people who already hate the show. Funny how that works out. Sure there many be people who like waifus that like Re:Zero but that is hardly the only thing they would care about. Waifuism and husbando is a universe concept that applies to literally any anime from Steins;Gate to SoL stories like Nichjou Boys, so if anyone sole wanted that they could watch any of thousands of anime out there.
Iron_MawApr 7, 2017 5:27 AM
Apr 7, 2017 6:40 AM

Jul 2009
MortalMelancholy said:
SolidWoIf said:

Lol, good as in an annoying bitch that's even worse than Shinji Ikari, but also as a permanent character trait?

YES, I do think he was a Shinji inspire dumbass character at the begining... because of that I really enjoyed watch him die (yes I like guro scenes just for the heck of it) in incredible horrible ways, but at the end, he grow a pair (which Shinji never did) and becomes a decent MC..

RE ZEro is no master piece, is not for everyone, has a love it or hate it plot, but for myself I enjoyed it very much... It leave me with the sense of having learn something because of watching this anime...
Apr 7, 2017 6:54 AM

Sep 2009
PRT said:
MortalMelancholy said:

YES, I do think he was a Shinji inspire dumbass character at the begining... because of that I really enjoyed watch him die (yes I like guro scenes just for the heck of it) in incredible horrible ways, but at the end, he grow a pair (which Shinji never did) and becomes a decent MC..

RE ZEro is no master piece, is not for everyone, has a love it or hate it plot, but for myself I enjoyed it very much... It leave me with the sense of having learn something because of watching this anime...

It wouldn't be so bad if any of the consequences to MC's mistakes had any sort of permanence. But nah, it's like "whoops, let's try that again. And again, as desired."
Apr 7, 2017 2:46 PM

Mar 2010
MortalMelancholy said:
PRT said:

It wouldn't be so bad if any of the consequences to MC's mistakes had any sort of permanence. But nah, it's like "whoops, let's try that again. And again, as desired."

Yes, because somehow losing your friends, nearly being driven insane and ostracizing yourself from everyone because your of rash actions totally didn't happen or anything...

I don't know what you were watching but Subaru literally spent the entire 2nd half of the show fixing his mistakes and consequences of problems he created to redeem himself. Even in the 1st half he suffers emotionally and physically from what he goes through, but let's pretend mental and emotional health is a problem that constantly carries with him.
Apr 7, 2017 3:05 PM

Sep 2015
Because other people love it, it´s so simple.
"You're a hero... and you have to leave."
Apr 12, 2017 9:01 PM
May 2014
I don't know either, it's terrible. The MC is so fucking dumb I couldn't get past like ep12 or so and only got so far because a friend told me this was so great and that it got better as it went on.
May 5, 2017 3:19 PM

May 2015
It's main selling point seems to be it being a different take on Isekai

I've read all the available, bootleggable WN material, meh, it's fine at what is does (note - Subaru more competent from after the point that anime ends, courtesy of Roswaal. if you couldn't somehow figure that out from the White Whale's defeat).

The fact that it's MC is "fucking dumb" is I think sorta the point here, he's a flawed human being, a shut-in thrown into a fantasy world. Except given the chance to [always] succeed at the cost of mental insanity.

Frankly, there are no real actual stakes in the series, web novel or otherwise, I guess people need those. I guess I don't.

People like Re:Zero because anime fans seem to have a hard-on for deconstructions - see also One Punch Man.
MortalMelancholy said:

The main character's actions have consequences [in his mind] is the whole point of the series though. This is like criticizing One Punch Man for having an overpowered character, this is completely failing to see the show for what it is.

MortalMelancholy said:

If Shinji motherfucking Ikari is your example, I don't know..you're just failing to see the appeal of a flawed character for some reason.

Besides the coma scene, Shinji is completely and totally understandable in everything he does. Given his absolutely abysmal circumstances.

Bantarific said:
T. I hesitate to say they "just don't get it" because that makes me sound like an elitist, .

I don't

My problem with it is, besides, Subaru, everything else kinda seems to be "generic fantasy". The web novel elabrates alot on the characters though to make them basically all inversions and deconstructions, but it takes awhile.

ashfrliebertMay 5, 2017 3:37 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
May 5, 2017 3:40 PM

Jul 2015
Rem is the reason why people like this serie
is the opposite for me , rem is the reason why i hated this serie

i mean i loved her so much and ep 18 come and destroy everything
tragedydesuMay 5, 2017 3:44 PM
May 5, 2017 3:53 PM

Feb 2015
-Because it's quite different from most other anime that have MC transfer to fantasy world trope.
-Cliffhangers everywhere. I was always looking forward to the next episode after finishing one, because I had to see what would happen next. No other anime has done this as strongly as this one for me.
-MC makes mistakes and suffers for it. He's not perfect, and he isn't spared by convenience all the time. He needs to learn from his mistakes to overcome the challenges on his path.
-Cool fantasy world.
-Cool characters.
-Nice art and animation.
May 5, 2017 4:18 PM
Jul 2018
The only reason i didnt give it a 3 was because i got the dear agony song by breaking benjamin vibe i did enjoy it and i hope it gets a season 2
May 5, 2017 4:44 PM

Jun 2010
With all due respect if you have seen 13 episodes and you can not see the good of this anime, it means that you have shit taste, since the story itself (leaving aside the waifu) is completely different from the vast majority of other anime cliches (Although I'm not bothered by the cliche). That as the first point.

Second, you should see Chapter 15 and 18 to understand the magnificence of a waifu (Rem), even if you dont like Rem (like thousands of people who chose Emilia).

Third, you have a long way to go. Just 82 anime seen MEH. It is to understand that you still have bad tastes.

In fourth place and to finish, you are the person with the worst affinity that I have found in this forum. (That's not bad or good, I just wanted to mention it)
May 5, 2017 4:58 PM

Sep 2009
ashfrliebert said:
It's main selling point seems to be it being a different take on Isekai

I've read all the available, bootleggable WN material, meh, it's fine at what is does (note - Subaru more competent from after the point that anime ends, courtesy of Roswaal. if you couldn't somehow figure that out from the White Whale's defeat).

To me, it seems to be a different take on harem, where the MC is garbage instead of generic. The Isekai aspects don't seem to be any different than usual.

ashfrliebert said:
The fact that it's MC is "fucking dumb" is I think sorta the point here, he's a flawed human being, a shut-in thrown into a fantasy world. Except given the chance to [always] succeed at the cost of mental insanity.

Frankly, there are no real actual stakes in the series, web novel or otherwise, I guess people need those. I guess I don't.

It's not that he's dumb (he's actually not that dumb), he's just a conceited asshole who thinks he's a special snowflake. In a way, he is; and the show glorifies this.

ashfrliebert said:
People like Re:Zero because anime fans seem to have a hard-on for deconstructions - see also One Punch Man.

MortalMelancholy said:

The main character's actions have consequences [in his mind] is the whole point of the series though. This is like criticizing One Punch Man for having an overpowered character, this is completely failing to see the show for what it is.

It's been a while; how was this a deconstruction? And OPM isn't really comparable; it's a parody, and isn't meant to be taken with a hint of seriousness. If you compared it to say, Madoka, Madoka adds responsibility and realism, while Isekai takes them away. Things that have real consequences will also have an effect on your mind; taking away the physical permanence is taking over 90% of it away.

ashfrliebert said:
MortalMelancholy said:

If Shinji motherfucking Ikari is your example, I don't know..you're just failing to see the appeal of a flawed character for some reason.

Besides the coma scene, Shinji is completely and totally understandable in everything he does. Given his absolutely abysmal circumstances.

Shinji is a good example of a flawed character, and despite being annoying, makes sense as a personality. Suzuki is a poor example of an asshole who is favored by god (the author).

ashfrliebert said:
Bantarific said:
T. I hesitate to say they "just don't get it" because that makes me sound like an elitist, .

I don't

[yt]XNYilspM0gg[/y]

My problem with it is, besides, Subaru, everything else kinda seems to be "generic fantasy". The web novel elabrates alot on the characters though to make them basically all inversions and deconstructions, but it takes awhile.

Most viewers who do like the show (namely, casuals), like it for the action, and/or for the waifus. They probably don't "get it" either. And I agree; the fantasy setting portrayed in the anime gives no context for any sort of deconstruction.
May 6, 2017 12:44 PM

May 2015
MortalMelancholy said:

To me, it seems to be a different take on harem,

This series is not even remotely harem. It has one romantic relationship and one dependent one. The romance theme in the anime last for a total ONE episode. It's not about harem, it's barely about romance at all. People just fixatate on the romantic relationship and picking best girl or whatever. When the series has little to do with that.

I don't know why it even exists. That Rem scene was pretty great, but the romance might as well be as existent as the romance in One Piece. It's really..just not there.

The Rem scene was important because Subaru had lost pretty much all hope for everything by that point and then Rem went on an episode long monologue on why he's not useless, that was great. That's all the romance this series *really* has, even all the way up to Arc 6. There was that one time in Arc 4 where Emilia fails in a loop and goes insane and says she loves Subaru, but I'm not sure that counts.
where the MC is garbage instead of generic. The Isekai aspects don't seem to be any different than usual.

But Isekai characters are usually overpowered instead of garbage, that alone is different than usual.

It's not that he's dumb (he's actually not that dumb),

No, he IS dumb. Relative to the fantastical world he is thrown in, he knows absolutely nothing about the world he's living in. That's dumb. He can't help that, but it's the way it is.

he's just a conceited asshole who thinks he's a special snowflake. In a way, he is;

Yes, yes he is.
and the show glorifies this.

No - it doesn't. He constantly tried to gain sympathy for the pain he got and came across as complete maniac instead by the rest of the cast. It was only until he ACTUALLY did something, The White Whale battle, that he gains vindication.

He goes mentally insane by one point and all the characters in the series view him as such when he that happens.

It's been a while; how was this a deconstruction?

He's weak, for one. Unlike 99% of all other isekais..that I've seen.

And OPM isn't really comparable; it's a parody, and isn't meant to be taken with a hint of seriousness.

Re:Zero isn't a parody admittedly, but it's a deconstruction, which One Punch Man is in a way.

If you compared it to say, Madoka, Madoka adds responsibility and realism, while Isekai takes them away. Things that have real consequences will also have an effect on your mind; taking away the physical permanence is taking over 90% of it away.

So?? This is the premise of the show, I don't see what you're trying to say. Are you saying taking away physical permanence takes away the suspense? In 99% of all series you know the protagonist is going to win anyway, this series simply takes you into the mind of a physically useless one who gets infinite tries.

Shinji is a good example of a flawed character, and despite being annoying, makes sense as a personality.

Well since he's fourteen-year-old boy forced to pilot a robot against aliens by his estranged father. Obviously, I think he makes perfect sense.

Suzuki is a poor example of an asshole who is favored by god (the author).

You mean Subaru. He's actually favored by a mentally insane witch, but the show doesn't really go in-depth with that.

Most viewers who do like the show (namely, casuals), like it for the action, and/or for the waifus. They probably don't "get it" either. And I agree; the fantasy setting portrayed in the anime gives no context for any sort of deconstruction.

I like some of the characters more, especially after seeing the WN (Otto, Roswaal, Betty) but I admit the characters aren't really *that* strong (besides Subaru). It's just fun to see the machinations of Return by Death and the growing competence of the main character.

I don't know, Shinji a fourteen year boy forced to pilot a robot against aliens by his estranged father and live with obnoxious people (read - Misato and Asuka) in a horribly messy apartment. Subaru's a nineteen-year-old forced to live in a fantasy world, with all sorts of monsters, but a nice group of people and a pretty decent mansion..plus he's immortal. Kinda the same, but not really. Evangelion is also far more realistic...pre-instrumentatliy anyway. Evangelion cast of characters are also leagues and leagues above Re:Zero, for what that counts for.
ashfrliebertMay 6, 2017 12:54 PM
May 6, 2017 4:57 PM

Sep 2009
ashfrliebert said:
MortalMelancholy said:

To me, it seems to be a different take on harem,

This series is not even remotely harem. It has one romantic relationship and one dependent one. The romance theme in the anime last for a total ONE episode. It's not about harem, it's barely about romance at all. People just fixatate on the romantic relationship and picking best girl or whatever. When the series has little to do with that.

I don't know why it even exists. That Rem scene was pretty great, but the romance might as well be as existent as the romance in One Piece. It's really..just not there.

The Rem scene was important because Subaru had lost pretty much all hope for everything by that point and then Rem went on an episode long monologue on why he's not useless, that was great. That's all the romance this series *really* has, even all the way up to Arc 6. There was that one time in Arc 4 where Emilia fails in a loop and goes insane and says she loves Subaru, but I'm not sure that counts.

Rem, Remilia, Beatrice, and that green-haired girl. It certainly qualifies as harem. And though harem, ecchi, and romance may not be the focus, those are the aspects that most watchers actually like about the show. If those were all male characters, and MC just had a similarly good relationship with them, it would obviously be an entirely different series (that attracts an entirely different audience aka fujoshi). The harem aspect is (atmospherically?) significant.

ashfrliebert said:
episode long monologue

Everything is wrong with the fact that such a thing existed.

ashfrliebert said:
where the MC is garbage instead of generic. The Isekai aspects don't seem to be any different than usual.

But Isekai characters are usually overpowered instead of garbage, that alone is different than usual.

Not really. Isekai MCs have to have some sort of "cheat." Isuzu obviously has this; the show isn't any different from any other isekai aside from the MC's disgusting personality.

ashfrliebert said:

It's not that he's dumb (he's actually not that dumb),

No, he IS dumb. Relative to the fantastical world he is thrown in, he knows absolutely nothing about the world he's living in. That's dumb. He can't help that, but it's the way it is.

Dumb colloquially refers to intelligence; Mitsubishi seems to be reasonably average in this aspect (though his personality obviously leads him to poor life decisions). If you mean to say that in the episode where he was captured by beetlejuice, he was dumb (unable or unwilling to speak), then yes; he was literally dumb at one point in the anime.

ashfrliebert said:
he's just a conceited asshole who thinks he's a special snowflake. In a way, he is;

Yes, yes he is.
and the show glorifies this.

No - it doesn't. He constantly tried to gain sympathy for the pain he got and came across as complete maniac instead by the rest of the cast. It was only until he ACTUALLY did something, The White Whale battle, that he gains vindication.

He goes mentally insane by one point and all the characters in the series view him as such when he that happens.

No, this show is clearly "self-masturbatory content" for the author. The plot deliberately gives depressing fates to characters (Emilia dying to witch, Rem dying to dog, etc etc), while focusing on MC using his special snowflake abilities to save the day. Him trying to get sympathy/recognition is a just a portion of his bad personality, which was only relevant at one point (his bad personality, that is) when they considered him a maniac, and is mostly ignored.

ashfrliebert said:
It's been a while; how was this a deconstruction?

He's weak, for one. Unlike 99% of all other isekais..that I've seen.

That doesn't make it a deconstruction.

ashfrliebert said:
And OPM isn't really comparable; it's a parody, and isn't meant to be taken with a hint of seriousness.

Re:Zero isn't a parody admittedly, but it's a deconstruction, which One Punch Man is in a way.

Explain? In Onepunch Man's case, only a single trope was deconstructed (OP MC); if that qualifies something as a deconstruction, you could label nearly anything as such.

ashfrliebert said:
If you compared it to say, Madoka, Madoka adds responsibility and realism, while Isekai takes them away. Things that have real consequences will also have an effect on your mind; taking away the physical permanence is taking over 90% of it away.

So?? This is the premise of the show, I don't see what you're trying to say. Are you saying taking away physical permanence takes away the suspense? In 99% of all series you know the protagonist is going to win anyway, this series simply takes you into the mind of a physically useless one who gets infinite tries.

Well, the reason I made this point was to explain why Re:Zero isn't a deconstruction. Taking away physical permanence takes away a lot of things; namely, the karma. The premise of the series is as I had said before, self masturbatory content for a shit personality MC, who has a relevantly OP ability (In the context of this show, his power is plenty OP). The problem isn't merely a single one of the aforementioned premise aspects, but the combination of the three. It's like the author brewed the perfect shit.

ashfrliebert said:

Shinji is a good example of a flawed character, and despite being annoying, makes sense as a personality.

Well since he's fourteen-year-old boy forced to pilot a robot against aliens by his estranged father. Obviously, I think he makes perfect sense.

And obviously, this is mentioned as a foil to Subaru.

ashfrliebert said:
Suzuki is a poor example of an asshole who is favored by god (the author).

You mean Subaru. He's actually favored by a mentally insane witch, but the show doesn't really go in-depth with that.

But more importantly, favored by the author.

ashfrliebert said:

I like some of the characters more, especially after seeing the WN (Otto, Roswaal, Betty) but I admit the characters aren't really *that* strong (besides Subaru). It's just fun to see the machinations of Return by Death and the growing competence of the main character.

As far as the anime went, the MC was never became particularly competent, just more and more insufferable as he became more and more reliant on his power.

ashfrliebert said:
I don't know, Shinji a fourteen year boy forced to pilot a robot against aliens by his estranged father and live with obnoxious people (read - Misato and Asuka) in a horribly messy apartment. Subaru's a nineteen-year-old forced to live in a fantasy world, with all sorts of monsters, but a nice group of people and a pretty decent mansion..plus he's immortal. Kinda the same, but not really. Evangelion is also far more realistic...pre-instrumentatliy anyway. Evangelion cast of characters are also leagues and leagues above Re:Zero, for what that counts for.

My point in bringing up Evangelion is that Nissan is more annoying than Shinji, in spite of Shinji being younger and more emotionally stressed.
May 7, 2017 7:13 AM
Sep 2015
The special thing about this anime is that the MC can change the upcoming incident which results of his own final decision; such as whether he chooses Rem or Emilia . His own aim/purpose of living in that world changes everytime when he experience death, just to keep his friends from being killed or die because of his own actions. He tried to escape from death, but in the end people aroud him will die. Also , he is not your ordinary MC who has an awesome superpower or someone who is chosen to save the world or something, he is just a guy who is suddenly being dragged to another world without knowing what to do, without having superpowers and had to live for one reason; which is to keep himself and his friends alive by avoiding or initiate death.
May 7, 2017 1:59 PM

May 2015
MortalMelancholy said:

Rem, Remilia, Beatrice, and that green-haired girl. It certainly qualifies as harem.

The characters are female characters and are allies of the main character, but they aren't romantic interests. Rem and Emilia are the only romantic interest in the series. This is silly.

And though harem, ecchi, and romance may not be the focus, those are the aspects that most watchers actually like about the show.

So? Is this about the series or about the fans.

If those were all male characters, and MC just had a similarly good relationship with them, it would obviously be an entirely different series (that attracts an entirely different audience aka fujoshi).

If Rem and Emilia were gender swapped, it would be an entirely different series. If Beatrice and Crusch were male characters, not much would change besides a few gag jokes here and there and some small aspects (like the dinner with Crusch).

Everything is wrong with the fact that such a thing existed.

Fair point, it served a good narrative purpose but was a tad bit long.

Not really. Isekai MCs have to have some sort of "cheat." Isuzu obviously has this; the show isn't any different from any other isekai aside from the MC's disgusting personality.

But this cheat requires him to fail. It's not like, say, Reinhardt or something. It's overpowered obviously, but it takes time and constant dying over and over to actually get the full effects. It affects his mental state as well, hence his disgusting personality. This is what allows narrative freedom and this is where the diversity comes in, he has a cheat...but the cheat doesn't really give him literal power. It gives him a mental advantage.

Dumb colloquially refers to intelligence; Mitsubishi seems to be reasonably average in this aspect (though his personality obviously leads him to poor life decisions). If you mean to say that in the episode where he was captured by beetlejuice, he was dumb (unable or unwilling to speak), then yes; he was literally dumb at one point in the anime.

Oh oops lol just got the Mitsubishi joke,

Everyone in the entire series is smarter and more knowledgable than him. Everyone. His constant inability to learn is what bites him in the ass all the time. Everyone in the whole world of the series knows more than he does from the initial beginnings, because they've lived in that world their whole life.

No, this show is clearly "self-masturbatory content" for the author. The plot deliberately gives depressing fates to characters (Emilia dying to witch, Rem dying to dog, etc etc), while focusing on MC using his special snowflake abilities to save the day.

Yeah, if you recall this also contributes in him GOING INSANE.

Him trying to get sympathy/recognition is a just a portion of his bad personality, which was only relevant at one point (his bad personality, that is) when they considered him a maniac, and is mostly ignored.

It's ignored later on because he fixes his attitude. Remember when he got rekt by Julius and completely and utterly embarrassed himself in the Royal Election meeting thing?

Explain? In Onepunch Man's case, only a single trope was deconstructed (OP MC); if that qualifies something as a deconstruction, you could label nearly anything as such.

You can. The deconstructive aspect is the MAIN aspect of OPM though, so..

Well, the reason I made this point was to explain why Re:Zero isn't a deconstruction. Taking away physical permanence takes away a lot of things; namely, the karma.

Uh..it's still a deconstruction though. It takes away the karma like many isekai do, but it shows the mental affects a normal person would have in a fantasy world. The problem is that besides Subaru, everyone is a *little* on the generic side.

But more importantly, favored by the author.

But how...

As far as the anime went, the MC was never became particularly competent, just more and more insufferable as he became more and more reliant on his power.

You can be insufferable and competent.
He contributed in both the defeat of Juice and the White Whale. This is a ton more competent than he was in the Elsa days.

My point in bringing up Evangelion is that Nissan is more annoying than Shinji, in spite of Shinji being younger and more emotionally stressed.

And I'm saying the circumstances are both very different and I don't agree he would necessarly be more emotionally stressed in his situation. Fighting aliens is pretty harsh admittedly, but in a sense they are in the same situation. Forced to fight against things far beyond understanding. The big difference being Shinji is fourteen and forced by his father. Also..he's not immortal.
ashfrliebertMay 7, 2017 2:03 PM
May 9, 2017 3:00 PM

Sep 2013
i thought the writing in this show was so bad, and the main character is worse than a bland harem lead. Most of the praise is for rem, who the community has determined to be best girl. Even though there is nothing special or cool about her

But the thing is the characters are probably very appealing to the otaku type. The colors are pretty, the girls are moe. The plot pretends to be complicated yet simple enough for ur average guy to comprehend.

It really has everything an anime needs to be successful in today's time
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Today

29 by Shoujoaddict »»
46 minutes ago

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Yesterday, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.