Forum Settings
Forums

What depends on an anime fully adapt the LN or not?

New
Feb 5, 2017 12:39 AM

Dec 2016
We have a lot of great LN what got an anime adaptation, but never been finished (just like Haruhi, Spice and Wolf, Baka to Test, Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?, etc. I guess you know a lot too).

Most people usually say it's how the anime industry works. They start it to get the bait, then buy/read the LN, and fuck you.

But, there are also animes, what fully adapted the LN, and finished the story after the LN ended. For example my favourite anime the Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai. When the LN finished, the last arc also got an anime adaptation.

My question is simply. Why? Why one good LN have been finished in anime, meanwhile some also masterpiece didnt?
VamzerFeb 5, 2017 12:48 AM
Feb 5, 2017 12:42 AM

Apr 2013
Reading the source material is always the answer.

Source material > adaptation is the 2D golden rule
Feb 5, 2017 12:44 AM

Dec 2016
hoopla123 said:
Reading the source material is always the answer.

Source material > adaptation is the 2D golden rule

So you mean Spiece and Wolf and Haruhi didn't get new season because they don't deserve it?????
(I could mentian Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru too, but the second season was a mess, so I don't really care this anime anymore...)
Feb 5, 2017 8:48 AM

Feb 2015
Isn't that the case with TWGOK, when S1 was quite good, S2 is, yeah... Then S3 hits the rock and stated, "Just read the manga for the ending bitches ;)"

@hoopla123 Dude, calm down, you pretty much burned the dude to crisp... xD

@Vamzer Just so you know, being a clown is not that bad. Your hired! ;)
_Ako_Feb 5, 2017 8:52 AM
Feb 5, 2017 8:58 AM

Dec 2016
This thread went to shit LUL But I guess I'll add my input. Personally, I've read anime/light novels long before I started watching anime and to this day I still prefer manga/light novels to anime. You can even say that the reason I watch the anime is because I found the source material to be really good.

Its far safer to make a new anime series than to actually continue for another season in another anime. This goes for every product, especially if you do not rely on brand name. When you think of "Apple" you think iPhones/Macs and they can rely on that infamous bitten Apple logo and people will still buy their products because... Its Apple. Its well known. Studio's don't gain fans and money for being "Shaft" or being "J.C. Staff", they gain fans from releasing great animes. Yes, even if one of my favorite mangas is being adapted by Studio Pierrot I probably wont watch it in fear of being a shitty adaptation (due to their history of doing shitty adaptations) but thats a odd circumstance.

Albeit, when you think of famous series such as Naruto/One Piece you can heavily rely on the fact that people will keep watching the anime because the manga volumes are generally always in the top 10 everytime the month sales chart comes in. One Piece and Naruto, though I may not like them, had/have huge followings no matter what. Its a very safe cash cow and they can keep milking the series because people will always watch long running animes such as those. If you were to ask most anime watchers they'd say "Yeah. I know One Piece and I know Naruto". Even though Naruto has been done for years, the studio can keep releasing fillers and episodes because, fuck it, they've been milking the cow for years and they can't just stop until its finished and they've ran out of ideas.

What makes a cash cow? Frequent/stable high numbers. There's very few animes with long source material that have pulled high stable numbers (FMA, Bleach, Fairy Tale). Generally, when a new anime is released the curiousity factory and the "new" high is a momentum that rolls until it crashes or it might never crash. If it doesn't crash for a very long time and studios will opt to continue a series. Now, I don't know how Spice and Wolf was in Japan but I'm sure it was popular. I haven't finished reading the series yet but generally in long long LONG novel series it generally becomes a lot of filler or it becomes less exciting just because the author knows "Hey. They'll still buy my next volume because of the series title." Its how media works in general. What did Spice and Wolf have? Like 17 volumes and 2 side stories? And its a really in depth and really deep type of story that can't be mushed into 2-3 seasons. By fully taking advantage of the current popularity, they are making risks to continue a show.

Now you mentioned OreImo. That was popular and it was easily put in 2 different seasons and I believe they just wanted the author to finish the series. Reading the LN myself, it was a pretty good adaption with no cut corners. Now for Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? I believe the LN was just finished with 19 volumes. Baka to Test? 18 chapters. Those are LN's that are LONG and risky to adapt fully because you can't foresee the popularity of a series. Plus there are other factors such as... The later volumes might be shitty plot wise, the author might take a hiatus, etc.

TL;DR. Risky.
Feb 5, 2017 9:16 AM

Feb 2013
the rule of thumb is that virtually all light novels adaptations are not-fully-adapted

i can count on one hand the full ones i know.. toradora, oreimo and durarara (though drr has a sequel)?
and shaft said they'll do full monogatari but still a few vols left

prob the success of the ln/anime and whims of the publisher/production comittee are the only factors
Feb 5, 2017 9:21 AM

Jul 2016
It's usually just an advertisement for it. Anime rarely is that profitable. The only case I can think of is the monogatari series since they already confirmed they are fully adapting everything in the future. Also the reason why they are stretching out naruto and making a boruto anime, for the profits.
Feb 5, 2017 9:31 AM

Sep 2014
Still waiting for Index season 3. -,_,-
I thought it did well enough to warrant a sequel. Same with No Game No Life, Haruhi and Spice and Wolf. The anime adaptations seem quite good to be only advertisements but oh well.
Feb 5, 2017 9:51 AM

Mar 2011
LN adaptions are all about advertising the LN. Unless the show gets ungodly amount sales i.e Oreimo ( Because you know wincest/ecchi etc etc ) then there is a higher chance of more seasons.
Feb 5, 2017 9:53 AM

Dec 2016
Saediss said:
Studio Pierrot I probably wont watch it in fear of being a shitty adaptation (due to their history of doing shitty adaptations) but thats a odd circumstance.

I dont understand. The whole story is in front of you, your only job is animated it. How the hell you can do a piece of shit from it? Like in Yahari Ore no Seishun, they just cut out a lot of important parts between the two seasons, and it became a mess. But WHY? And more important, nobody watched it and said: Hey, idiots, these cuts the second season has no sense...

Saediss said:
Now, I don't know how Spice and Wolf was in Japan but I'm sure it was popular. I haven't finished reading the series yet but generally in long long LONG novel series it generally becomes a lot of filler or it becomes less exciting just because the author knows "Hey. They'll still buy my next volume because of the series title." Its how media works in general. What did Spice and Wolf have? Like 17 volumes and 2 side stories? And its a really in depth and really deep type of story that can't be mushed into 2-3 seasons. By fully taking advantage of the current popularity, they are making risks to continue a show.

TL;DR. Risky.

So, before I start an anime, I should chech how long the LN? If it too long, I shouldn't evne start it, because it has been never finished?

Rastamepas said:
LN adaptions are all about advertising the LN. Unless the show gets ungodly amount sales i.e Oreimo ( Because you know wincest/ecchi etc etc ) then there is a higher chance of more seasons.

Ore no Imou had ecchi? .............

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
ShockedFeb 5, 2017 12:04 PM
Feb 5, 2017 10:08 AM

Dec 2016
Vamzer said:
Saediss said:
Studio Pierrot I probably wont watch it in fear of being a shitty adaptation (due to their history of doing shitty adaptations) but thats a odd circumstance.

I dont understand. The whole story is in front of you, your only job is animated it. How the hell you can do a piece of shit from it? Like in Yahari Ore no Seishun, they just cut out a lot of important parts between the two seasons, and it became a mess. But WHY? And more important, nobody watched it and said: Hey, idiots, these cuts the second season has no sense...

Saediss said:
Now, I don't know how Spice and Wolf was in Japan but I'm sure it was popular. I haven't finished reading the series yet but generally in long long LONG novel series it generally becomes a lot of filler or it becomes less exciting just because the author knows "Hey. They'll still buy my next volume because of the series title." Its how media works in general. What did Spice and Wolf have? Like 17 volumes and 2 side stories? And its a really in depth and really deep type of story that can't be mushed into 2-3 seasons. By fully taking advantage of the current popularity, they are making risks to continue a show.

TL;DR. Risky.

So, before I start an anime, I should chech how long the LN? If it too long, I shouldn't evne start it, because it has been never finished?

To answer your first question, they just really really like fillers and original story. So lets take Naruto, which is adapted by Studio Pierrot. Yes, the manga has fillers but there's not that much to deter you from reading the next chapter. Fight scenes don't take 5-10 episodes in the manga and its pretty cut and concise. Next example is Sousei No Onmyouji which is their current "new" anime. After the 12th episode or whatever its COMPLETELY different from the manga and its a new storyline. If I remember correctly the mangaka of Naruto praised Sousei No Onmyouji the MANGA and even though the manga is sort of generic its a pretty good piece. But the anime is just so shit (in my opinion) compared to the manga and the Naruto mangaka got some heat for that. Alright, so the manga isn't finished, but it doesn't generally mean you should change the entire plot.

Second question, that's really up to you. I just assume that the anime adaptation filters the original source and changes around the plot. And I usually always assume that newer animes don't adapt an entire light novel series because authors love to milk cash cow mangas and LN's. Usually at this point I can guesstimate and say "Yeah. 24 episodes wont adapt the full 15 volumes of the LN" and move on with life. Most of the time I'll watch the anime but I end up reading the light novel and hope that its translated fully. Thats rarely the case, sadly enough. There's a lack of translators in light novels and as you may know, it takes a really long time to translate chapters. After a few years of frustration (and waiting for scanlating groups to finish mangas) I just said "Fuck it. I have time." and just learned to read Japanese. I can't really recommend learning Japanese but I did it because I was obsessively tired of the fact that I may never know the plot and ending of my favorite mangas/LN.
Feb 5, 2017 10:21 AM

Dec 2016
Saediss said:
Vamzer said:

To answer your first question, they just really really like fillers and original story. So lets take Naruto, which is adapted by Studio Pierrot. Yes, the manga has fillers but there's not that much to deter you from reading the next chapter. Fight scenes don't take 5-10 episodes in the manga and its pretty cut and concise. Next example is Sousei No Onmyouji which is their current "new" anime. After the 12th episode or whatever its COMPLETELY different from the manga and its a new storyline. If I remember correctly the mangaka of Naruto praised Sousei No Onmyouji the MANGA and even though the manga is sort of generic its a pretty good piece. But the anime is just so shit (in my opinion) compared to the manga and the Naruto mangaka got some heat for that. Alright, so the manga isn't finished, but it doesn't generally mean you should change the entire plot.

Second question, that's really up to you. I just assume that the anime adaptation filters the original source and changes around the plot. And I usually always assume that newer animes don't adapt an entire light novel series because authors love to milk cash cow mangas and LN's. Usually at this point I can guesstimate and say "Yeah. 24 episodes wont adapt the full 15 volumes of the LN" and move on with life. Most of the time I'll watch the anime but I end up reading the light novel and hope that its translated fully. Thats rarely the case, sadly enough. There's a lack of translators in light novels and as you may know, it takes a really long time to translate chapters. After a few years of frustration (and waiting for scanlating groups to finish mangas) I just said "Fuck it. I have time." and just learned to read Japanese. I can't really recommend learning Japanese but I did it because I was obsessively tired of the fact that I may never know the plot and ending of my favorite mangas/LN.

Still don't understand, why they shits ony the story and creat some kind of bullshit from it - because it is ALWAYS become a bullshit, when they stop following the original story...

The other thing I can't understand: If you are a true writer you wouldn't transform your story into shit just for money. If you do, you don't deserve to be called writer, just a mountebank. For example Mark Lawrenc. He wrote the Prince of Thorns triology, he had money from it, but finished it with a true ending. He isn't prolonged it just for the money. Because that is how a true writer thinking.

Yes, waiting for the chapters it must be hard if you speak english, but if not, you have totally no hope to can read LNs. If english is rare, then LN in my lang is not exists...
VamzerFeb 5, 2017 1:43 PM
Feb 5, 2017 11:17 AM

Sep 2016
0% chance of complete adaptation since LN is a terrible medium to begin with
why no good LN completely adapted? because there is no good LN, it's simple calculs
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Feb 5, 2017 12:09 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Casual Discussion

Merged Duplicate Thread

Also, Thread Cleaned

Keep it to the thread's question peoples!

---

Quick and simple answer, high amount of popularity, an ongoing LN that is also receiving a significant boost in sales, and enough funding and support to continue the adaptation. Partially based on looking at sales, partially based on observation, partially based on supposition, etc.
ShockedFeb 5, 2017 12:18 PM
Feb 5, 2017 1:44 PM

Dec 2016
GangsterCat said:
why no good LN completely adapted? because there is no good LN, it's simple calculs

I'm not sure, you are trolling or watched too much ecchi, and you are deadly serious.
Feb 5, 2017 1:46 PM

Sep 2016
Vamzer said:
GangsterCat said:

I'm not sure, you are trolling or watched too much ecchi, and you are deadly serious.
huh? everyone knows LN is lesser, inferior medium.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Feb 5, 2017 1:55 PM

Dec 2016
GangsterCat said:
Vamzer said:

Okey, you must be trolling.........
Feb 5, 2017 1:56 PM
Dec 2015
Vamzer said:
Saediss said:

Still don't understand, why they shits ony the story and creat some kind of bullshit from it - because it is ALWAYS become a bullshit, when they stop following the original story...

The other thing I can't understand: If you are a true writer you wouldn't transform your story into shit just for money. If you do, you don't deserve to be called writer, just a mountebank. For example Mark Lawrenc. He wrote the Prince of Thorns triology, he had money from it, but finished it with a true ending. He isn't prolonged it just for the money. Because that is how a true writer thinking.

Yes, waiting for the chapters it must be hard if you speak english, but if not, you have totally no hope to can read LNs. If english is rare, then LN in my lang is not exists...
Are you trying to imply that all anime original endings are bad? Because that just isn't true at all. Many of them are, but many are also very good as well. FMA 2003 had a good ending, and the anime original second half of Chrno Crusade was my favorite part of the anime. I've heard that Railgun deviated from its light novel and was excellent also.

Second, LN authors don't have lots of control over the adaptation. Anime original endings have to be approved by the author, but they have no control over how its executed, nor do they have control over how faithful the adaptation of the existing material is. And that shit about being a "true writer" is just total bullshit. The writers of anime don't control how much they get to adapt. The producers will say "you have 24 episodes to make this anime" and the writers and directors will try to fit as much of the story in to be cohesive and satisfying as possible. The time constraints causing an adaptation to become incomplete has nothing to do with the writers trying to make money without caring for the original source.
Feb 5, 2017 1:57 PM

Feb 2010
LNs tend to get adaptions too early in their career and by the time the LN is finishing nobody gives a shit anymore about making a sequel for this LN that was popular for a short while 5 years ago.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 5, 2017 1:59 PM
Dec 2015
Vamzer said:
GangsterCat said:

I think it's pretty obvious he's trolling. Not every LN is SAO. The massive success of adaptations for Haruhi, Baccano, Kara no Kyoukai, Spice and Wolf, and many others should prove that.
Feb 5, 2017 2:00 PM

Sep 2016
Vamzer said:
GangsterCat said:

LN is the lowest medium

source: girlish numbers
CrossAnge

Feb 5, 2017 2:04 PM

Dec 2016
Pullman said:
LNs tend to get adaptions too early in their career and by the time the LN is finishing nobody gives a shit anymore about making a sequel for this LN that was popular for a short while 5 years ago.

So you mean the LNs don't stand the test of times unlike books?
Feb 5, 2017 2:04 PM

Dec 2016
GamerUnglued said:
Vamzer said:

I think it's pretty obvious he's trolling. Not every LN is SAO. The massive success of adaptations for Haruhi, Baccano, Kara no Kyoukai, Spice and Wolf, and many others should prove that.

Yeah SAO is that in the LN's world what the naruto is for the manga's world.
Feb 5, 2017 2:13 PM

Feb 2010
Vamzer said:
Pullman said:

So you mean the LNs don't stand the test of times unlike books?

well, that's a different issue. But LNs are published differently from books, more like mangas where they keep publishing more chapters as long as it sells. So when a LN reaches popularity it's usually early in its career (like the first 2 years) because if you don't get somewhat popular in the early days, you'll probably get your series cancelled.

The anime adaptions often come around at the peak of their popularity and make it even more popular for a while but they can only adapt what's already there. Afterwards the LN will keep going for a few more years but usually with declining popularity since it'll never get as much exposition again as during the time when the anime aired.

And unless it's one of the REALLY, REALLY popular ones by the time it eventually concludes or gets cancelled another anime adaption is not worth anyone's money. It's simply not effective to advertise the material once it ends because the anime can't boost future sales for the LN. The anime adaptions are there to give the more promising LNs an additonal boost in popularity when they're still relatively new. That purpose doesn't translate well to the time when LN is finished.

For manga usually the best chance for a complete adaption is when the anime and the manga end around the same time (or of course, making a LOT of money with each season, that always works). And that almost never happens with LNs.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 5, 2017 2:15 PM
Dec 2015
Vamzer said:
GamerUnglued said:

Yeah SAO is that in the LN's world what the naruto is for the manga's world.
I'd just argue that SAO is a poorly written story, while Naruto is actually pretty good but the anime has way too much filler. The negative stigma against LN's is dumb IMO. This past year had Konosuba, Grimgar, Re:Zero, and Girlish Number as pretty popular LN adaptations, and I really liked all of those anime. I also loved Occultic;Nine, though I do seem to be in a minority. I haven't even seen Alderamin, Magical Girl Raising Project, or Netoge no Yome, which were pretty well liked from this year. All the "trash" LN adaptations were standard battle-school bullshit like The Ass wars, which there were like 3 of and nobody cared about any of them.
Feb 5, 2017 2:23 PM

Aug 2015
Bluray sales and popularity, I think?
Feb 6, 2017 12:37 AM

Dec 2016
GamerUnglued said:
Are you trying to imply that all anime original endings are bad? Because that just isn't true at all. Many of them are, but many are also very good as well. FMA 2003 had a good ending, and the anime original second half of Chrno Crusade was my favorite part of the anime. I've heard that Railgun deviated from its light novel and was excellent also.

Second, LN authors don't have lots of control over the adaptation. Anime original endings have to be approved by the author, but they have no control over how its executed, nor do they have control over how faithful the adaptation of the existing material is. And that shit about being a "true writer" is just total bullshit. The writers of anime don't control how much they get to adapt. The producers will say "you have 24 episodes to make this anime" and the writers and directors will try to fit as much of the story in to be cohesive and satisfying as possible. The time constraints causing an adaptation to become incomplete has nothing to do with the writers trying to make money without caring for the original source.

Chrno Crusade, yes, that was good, but FMA? You know the true endig is the movie what a totally bullshit, just like poor Kimblee, who became a totally unimportant lame character. The original ending was better far away.

Wtf your arguement with the true writers? How the anime comes here? It was a reaction of mine to this:
"Saediss said:
I haven't finished reading the series yet but generally in long long LONG novel series it generally becomes a lot of filler or it becomes less exciting just because the author knows "Hey. They'll still buy my next volume because of the series title." Its how media works in general. What did Spice and Wolf have? Like 17 volumes and 2 side stories?"
Feb 6, 2017 12:41 AM

Dec 2016
@Saediss @Pullman
So, Durarara is superpopular, then? Because after 6 year silence, when the LN ended, they made mora than 3(?)-4(?) season to finish it in anime, too.

More topics from this board

» List of canceled anime.

ZXEAN - 9 hours ago

28 by eblf2013 »»
13 minutes ago

» Have you encountered any waifus that you can ogle 24 hours a day and still not get bored [there are a few]?

Catalano - May 8

12 by TsutanaiFuun »»
27 minutes ago

» Do you think Berserk will ever get the adaptation it truly deserves?

Gashadokur0 - May 9

37 by BatoKusanagi »»
33 minutes ago

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days? ( 1 2 )

anizawa89 - May 10

57 by NonAtmospheric »»
34 minutes ago

» Have you ever felt so satisfied after finishing certain anime that you don't even want its sequel? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 12

51 by Toooooooooohru »»
53 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.