Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 27, 2016 10:29 PM
Sep 2016
I was wondering if I should get the Steins Gate game. I really loved the show and I saw their were pretty good reviews but I wanted to get some insight from the OGs. How did you guys feel about the game??
Dec 28, 2016 12:20 AM

Jan 2013
TheMysteries said:
I was wondering if I should get the Steins Gate game. I really loved the show and I saw their were pretty good reviews but I wanted to get some insight from the OGs. How did you guys feel about the game??

Tutturu! SciADV expert here:

The general consensus on whether or not it's worth playing leans towards how much of the anime you remember. If you're the kind who didn't understand the ending, or have a hard time remembering details, going through the VN is definitely recommended at any point after watching the anime.

Unlike Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate's anime actually did a very good job of adapting story, to the point where reading the VN might give you a sense of deja vu. However, it must be mentioned that the game is at least 50 hours long, front to back, and the anime was only about 8 hours long. Even though a picture may be worth a thousand words, it's inevitable that there was a lot of stuff that did have to be left out. Mr. Braun's character is a common criticism, where he basically is left out of the story until Moeka's chapter, and the way they handled that scene wasn't very good for his character.

As for me, I've got a pretty good memory for details in a story, so I found the first half of the VN a little bit hard to get through because the events and details were mostly the same. The explanation in Chapter 2 on the various theories of time travel is among one of the many things I found enjoyable, since it was one of the things I didn't expect them to have rushed through.

However, the last half of the VN, where the time travel aspect is very important to the flow of the story, was very fun to read through because a lot of it was stuff that had been left out of the anime. There are several endings that exit off the main route. Since the anime could only do one ending, I'm sure you can figure out what this means.

All-in-all, if you're like me, I'd say give it a year or two and then revisit the series by playing the VN. It's a really great piece of work, matched by an equally great anime adaptation. Otherwise, try checking out Chaos;head. The game itself is kind of buggy, but I liked it even more than Steins;Gate. After that I'd check out the anime adaptation for it so you can appreciate just how much could have gone wrong with the Steins;Gate adaptation. We really lucked out.
Jan 2, 2017 5:33 AM
Sep 2016
Syrup- said:
TheMysteries said:

Tutturu! SciADV expert here:

The general consensus on whether or not it's worth playing leans towards how much of the anime you remember. If you're the kind who didn't understand the ending, or have a hard time remembering details, going through the VN is definitely recommended at any point after watching the anime.

Unlike Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate's anime actually did a very good job of adapting story, to the point where reading the VN might give you a sense of deja vu. However, it must be mentioned that the game is at least 50 hours long, front to back, and the anime was only about 8 hours long. Even though a picture may be worth a thousand words, it's inevitable that there was a lot of stuff that did have to be left out. Mr. Braun's character is a common criticism, where he basically is left out of the story until Moeka's chapter, and the way they handled that scene wasn't very good for his character.

As for me, I've got a pretty good memory for details in a story, so I found the first half of the VN a little bit hard to get through because the events and details were mostly the same. The explanation in Chapter 2 on the various theories of time travel is among one of the many things I found enjoyable, since it was one of the things I didn't expect them to have rushed through.

However, the last half of the VN, where the time travel aspect is very important to the flow of the story, was very fun to read through because a lot of it was stuff that had been left out of the anime. There are several endings that exit off the main route. Since the anime could only do one ending, I'm sure you can figure out what this means.

All-in-all, if you're like me, I'd say give it a year or two and then revisit the series by playing the VN. It's a really great piece of work, matched by an equally great anime adaptation. Otherwise, try checking out Chaos;head. The game itself is kind of buggy, but I liked it even more than Steins;Gate. After that I'd check out the anime adaptation for it so you can appreciate just how much could have gone wrong with the Steins;Gate adaptation. We really lucked out.

Thanks for the detailed reply and sorry for replying so late! I watched Steins;Gate only a couple of weeks ago so I think I'll take your advice and try it in the future! Thanks again for giving me such a detailed answer!

More topics from this board

» Is the idea that a game needs to respect your time a contradiction on the fundamental concept of video games

Reshiram_IX - Yesterday

11 by Nette »»
35 minutes ago

» Did anyone here own a Wii U?

Yuno - 4 hours ago

1 by Sadahon »»
2 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3717 by Clonazenyan »»
4 hours ago

» First Pokémon game

ani2016 - Aug 18

36 by Clonazenyan »»
4 hours ago

» Nintendo is suing Palworld

Dumb - Sep 18

22 by ArabianLuffy »»
Today, 6:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.