Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 12, 2016 2:31 PM
Jul 2015
Looking to get into jrpgs over the break any recommendations? I got a vita PS4 and a computer
Dec 12, 2016 4:34 PM

Jun 2015
get final fantasy XV for ps4. its good. Vita - get trails of cold steel 1 and 2
Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen
Dec 12, 2016 4:57 PM

Nov 2014
don't

Dec 12, 2016 5:53 PM

Jan 2013
If you get an emulator for SNES you can go play some of the best JRPGs ever made. SNES generation was the start of the golden age of JRPG after all. Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy games, Lufia, Super Mario RPG, Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, etc.

PS1 emulation offers you some of the better JRPGs, but if you have a Vita you can buy them on the PSN and get an arguably better experience. Legend of Mana, Suikoden II, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, FF7/8/9, etc. You can get some SNES JRPGs on there too but they have the artificial PS1 disc loading times on them so it would probably better to avoid those and emulate them instead.

Vita itself also has some nice games like Persona 4 the Golden on it.

STEAM also has a bunch of JRPGs like the Neptunia series and stuff like that.

ExTemplar said:
don't
do it anyway
Dec 12, 2016 6:26 PM

Aug 2011
Seconding a person above me, If you have a computer and can emulate stuff. You can play some Tales series on PS1/2 emulator. Even Tales of Zestiria is already ported on PC too. And there's also a bunch of JRPG on DS and Gameboy Advance (GBA) some of them which are a remakes of PS1 titles like FF VI. I also recommends Fire Emblem. The whole FE series can be played through emulator now. The latest 3DS emulator which is Citra is working superbly to play FE 13 and 14.

Besides Persona 4 Golden on Vita, there's also Tales of Heart R, Disgaea 4 and Ys

**☾**
Dec 12, 2016 6:48 PM
Apr 2014
Wusteven said:
get trails of cold steel 1 and 2
OP should start with Trails in the Sky FC and play SC next.
Dec 12, 2016 7:00 PM

Jan 2008
I find a lot of modern gamers won't touch outdated JRPGs regardless of how good they are, especially turn base games. So you should at least state your preferences if you really are 'new' to JRPGs. The way you're asking, you may as well just google "most recommended JRPG" and play what's listed.
Dec 12, 2016 7:20 PM
Jan 2013
Wanna try MMORPG? Onigiri - Yeah thats the name by cyberstep, started 1 or 2 or 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure they have an english version now, not your usual MMORPG but its neat.
Dec 12, 2016 7:25 PM

Apr 2011
Try the Final Fantasy franchise. You can get in from anywhere, since all the main installments are standalones and any direct sequels are labeled as such. Use an emulator if you can't find the games for PC or PS4, though most of them are available on the PC now. Also try the spin-offs, especially tactics which are very well received.

Aside from that, you can try the Atlus games; basically the Megami Tensei franchise. There's Persona, Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor, Shin Megami Tensei itself..... Survivor is a bit of an S/TRPG, though. Persona 4 Golden is on the Vita, btw.

You could also try Dragon Quest, which was Final Fantasy's rival. Now, it's more like a partner, considering both are made by the same company. I've only played DQ4 and 9 so far, but they're quite entertaining.

There's also stuff like Tales of series, Radiant Historia, Chrono Trigger, etc.. Really, you're not lacking for games when it comes to JRPGs.
Dec 12, 2016 8:12 PM

Dec 2014
Suikoden 2. PS1 game.
Dec 12, 2016 8:18 PM

Jul 2012
Besides the obvious ones,

Valkyria Chronicles
Tales of Wuxia
Stardew Valley
Dec 12, 2016 8:39 PM

Jan 2013
ai4ker0 said:
Wanna try MMORPG? Onigiri - Yeah thats the name by cyberstep, started 1 or 2 or 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure they have an english version now, not your usual MMORPG but its neat.
shill pls go. JRPG + MMO do not mix nicely.
Dec 12, 2016 8:39 PM

Apr 2011
thefreeloader said:
Suikoden 2. PS1 game.

I've been meaning to ask, is Suidoken standalone? As in, can you play 2 without playing 1?
Dec 12, 2016 8:41 PM

Jan 2013
yhunata said:
thefreeloader said:
Suikoden 2. PS1 game.

I've been meaning to ask, is Suidoken standalone? As in, can you play 2 without playing 1?
Yes, you can. Suikoden II has some throwbacks to Suikoden I but you can play it blind and still enjoy it just as much.
Dec 12, 2016 8:51 PM

Jun 2015
+1 FF series. Also check out Nier Automata, OP. All of the trailers have been focusing on the action, since it's very new to fans of the original, but the devs have stated it is 60% RPG, 40% action so it should give you a nice blend of smooth action/JRPG goodness.

Edit: It's not out till next year though, so you can't pick it up over break unfortunately.
Dec 12, 2016 9:14 PM

Apr 2011
Syrup- said:
yhunata said:

Yes, you can. Suikoden II has some throwbacks to Suikoden I but you can play it blind and still enjoy it just as much.

Well, that's good to know.
Dec 12, 2016 11:17 PM
Jul 2015
Thanks for all the recommendations:)
Dec 23, 2016 6:54 PM

Jun 2014
You can try Hyperdimension games
It a JRPG with mostly anime girl, where there are 4 main girl that supposed to represent video game console. It have a light hearted storyline with meme in most conversation.

If you do want to try it, try Hyperdimension rebirth one for pc or Hyperdimension Neptunia for ps3
They both are the same game but the pc version, they add in a few feature.
You gotta do what you gotta do.
Dec 23, 2016 7:02 PM

Jan 2013
Nickel-Kingins said:
You can try Hyperdimension games

Don't do this. For real.
Dec 23, 2016 7:04 PM

Jan 2015
ExTemplar said:
don't

This one, boi.

Maybe FF15 too.
Dec 23, 2016 7:10 PM

Dec 2011
Since no one else has done so I wholly recommend Grandia, I'm playing it right now and loving every minute of it. Also Skies of Arcadia.
Dec 23, 2016 7:19 PM

May 2010
I'm just going to make it simple.

Staples of the JRPG universe:

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Parasite Eve
Final Fantasy IX
Pokemon
Final Fantasy X
Tales of Abyss
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Odin Sphere
Persona 4
Ni No Kuni

If you have to choose only select JRPG's, make sure they're from this list.

Other high quality JRPG's include:

Legend of Legaia
Chrono Cross
Legend of Dragoon
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Xillia (& 2)
Tales of Graces f
Persona 3
Digital Devil Saga
Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Star Ocean: Till The End of Time
Grandia

These are all fine games. If you're just looking for more stuff to play and don't intend to stop here, then feel free to pick from this list.
Dec 23, 2016 7:22 PM

Jan 2013
You gave birth in a tank while we fought off anime nazis?

Guess love can bloom in the battlefield :))

O hey look a bug

Valkyria Chronicles is a terrible game tbqh.

Unless you're a depraved fuck like me who has nothing better to do and finished all the worth-it strategy JRPGs available, do not touch VC.
Dec 23, 2016 7:31 PM

May 2010
Valkyria Chronicles isn't that bad, but it suffers from being much too drawn out. Only play it if you want to take things slowly and love strategy games. It doesn't have much in terms of RPG elements.
Dec 23, 2016 7:43 PM

Jan 2013
VC was piss poor as a strategy game though and I say this as someone who loves em.

Strategy games are about using every resource available to make efficient and organized commands. It's a test of wit and improvisation.

VC doesn't do this. It only approves of speed. You can win an entire scenario by just rushing your scout into the enemy base. There is no strategy to this at all. You can have an entire squad murdered but as long as one scout made it to the flag it's a success.

Captured the entire enemy base and wiped the enemy without an allied casualty? Nice. Oh wait you did it in 10 turns? Here fam, have this F, try harder next time.

You didn't kill anybody? 4 allied casualties? Managed to lower their flag for an arbitrary victory by turn 3? S RANK HAVE A MEDAL
PeenusWeenusCaimDec 23, 2016 7:46 PM
Dec 23, 2016 7:44 PM

Jan 2015
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

Valkyria Chronicles is a terrible game tbqh.

I just love it because it looks beautiful, and it's OST is GOAT.

More topics from this board

» Nintendo is suing Palworld

Dumb - Sep 18

22 by ArabianLuffy »»
10 hours ago

» Favorite Playstation era

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 14

30 by Kajiuran »»
11 hours ago

» Updating my pc

skapito - Sep 16

25 by BigBoyAdvance »»
11 hours ago

» What's the first website you ever visited? ( 1 2 )

TheBlockernator - Aug 6, 2023

68 by BigBoyAdvance »»
11 hours ago

» Is the idea that a game needs to respect your time a contradiction on the fundamental concept of video games

Reshiram_IX - Yesterday

9 by BigBoyAdvance »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.