Forum Settings
Forums

What is the way to go if i want to play classic arcade games from the 1980s?

New
Dec 6, 2016 2:14 PM

Nov 2011
By which i mean I wanna play games like Strider, The revenge of shinobi, and The new zealand Story in ther original arcade format. I know some of these are on comps.
Dec 6, 2016 6:31 PM
Jul 2018
In the original format? RIP. Be prepared to pay thousands of dollars for your cab and PCBs. Of course, you can always use an emulator. MAME is the best one, very easy to use and has support for a shitton of arcade games.
Dec 6, 2016 7:06 PM

Nov 2011
Lord_Sithis said:
In the original format? RIP. Be prepared to pay thousands of dollars for your cab and PCBs. Of course, you can always use an emulator. MAME is the best one, very easy to use and has support for a shitton of arcade games.

Well i didnt mean original f I rmat with the arcade machines lol. Just want to play exact emulations so i guess ill check out MAME.
Dec 6, 2016 7:39 PM
Jul 2018
Waifu_Strangler said:
Lord_Sithis said:

Well i didnt mean original f I rmat with the arcade machines lol. Just want to play exact emulations so i guess ill check out MAME.
Yes, MAME is pretty good. If you're going to play shmups or fighting games, Shmupmame would be better, since it has no input lag.
Dec 7, 2016 2:31 AM

Dec 2007
Lord_Sithis said:
MAME is the best one, very easy to use and has support for a shitton of arcade games.

Easy to use, huh? Wonder what I was doing wrong then..
Dec 7, 2016 5:04 AM
Jul 2018
SchnickelFritz said:
Lord_Sithis said:
MAME is the best one, very easy to use and has support for a shitton of arcade games.

Easy to use, huh? Wonder what I was doing wrong then..
Probably the ROM names. Newer versions of MAME use different names for some ROMs than the old versions. Just check for the game you want in MAME and you should see the name of the ROM. If your ROM doesn't have that name, just rename it. For example, in newer versions of MAME the name for DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label is "ddp3blk", but in older version it's "ddpdojblk".
Dec 7, 2016 6:25 AM

Nov 2011
Lord_Sithis said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Yes, MAME is pretty good. If you're going to play shmups or fighting games, Shmupmame would be better, since it has no input lag.

Might just get both.
Dec 7, 2016 6:09 PM

Dec 2007
Lord_Sithis said:
Probably the ROM names. Newer versions of MAME use different names for some ROMs than the old versions. Just check for the game you want in MAME and you should see the name of the ROM. If your ROM doesn't have that name, just rename it. For example, in newer versions of MAME the name for DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label is "ddp3blk", but in older version it's "ddpdojblk".

That must have been it; was probably using older incompatible rom sets as well.. Been reading some FAQs and there was a lot I missed the first time. It's more complicated than most emulators, as some games require more than just the rom, but once you understand a few basics, it's relatively straightforward.
Dec 7, 2016 9:33 PM
Jul 2018
Btw MAME emulation is not perfect. Some newer games (like 2002+) have emulation issues. They work, but with problems that range between graphical glitches to serious gameplay alterations.
Very recent games have not been dumped yet.
Dec 7, 2016 10:55 PM

Mar 2008
By getting a time machine and travelling back to the 1980s.
Dec 8, 2016 4:19 AM

Jun 2016
There was a really good emulator and collection disc with 3000 C64 games on it, I had one too until I lost it during a house renovation.Anway, I think it was called 'C64 Classics' or something along those lines, if you look for that on eBay I'm sure you'll find it and it's probably cheap as chips as well.
Dec 8, 2016 1:26 PM
Jul 2018
See if your local hipsters have opened up a barcade
Dec 8, 2016 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
sleeplesstown said:
See if your local hipsters have opened up a barcade
I have a barcade near my house, but it's shit.
Dec 8, 2016 2:46 PM

Nov 2011
Lord_Sithis said:
Btw MAME emulation is not perfect. Some newer games (like 2002+) have emulation issues. They work, but with problems that range between graphical glitches to serious gameplay alterations.
Very recent games have not been dumped yet.

No interest in the newer games. Mostly just old platformers.
Dec 9, 2016 2:06 PM

Aug 2015
Not as technical as you guys, but I play all my games I loved from the late 1970's and early 1980's on my Nintendo DSXL. I use the DSTWO card with a 16Gb rom, and that emulates just about anything.

I don't bother running the old games on my laptop, or my entertainment computer, as I just don't have time. I was thinking of sending one of my game consoles in to get altered so it can play those games, I have a PS1, PS2, and PS 3, and an old WII, surely one of them can be set up to play all the old games without having to do an Irish jig first.

But enough hijacking your thread.

Enough to say i love the old games, but i keep them all on the Nintendo DSXL via DSTWO emulation. That's enough to keep me happy, and to ensure the DS doesn't get wasted, as that is a shame in itself to allow such beautiful electronics go to waste; being from the 70's we didn't get things like that, they still amaze me today how good a DS is.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Dec 9, 2016 2:16 PM
Jul 2018
PoruMairu said:
Not as technical as you guys, but I play all my games I loved from the late 1970's and early 1980's on my Nintendo DSXL. I use the DSTWO card with a 16Gb rom, and that emulates just about anything.

I don't bother running the old games on my laptop, or my entertainment computer, as I just don't have time. I was thinking of sending one of my game consoles in to get altered so it can play those games, I have a PS1, PS2, and PS 3, and an old WII, surely one of them can be set up to play all the old games without having to do an Irish jig first.

But enough hijacking your thread.

Enough to say i love the old games, but i keep them all on the Nintendo DSXL via DSTWO emulation. That's enough to keep me happy, and to ensure the DS doesn't get wasted, as that is a shame in itself to allow such beautiful electronics go to waste; being from the 70's we didn't get things like that, they still amaze me today how good a DS is.
You are contributing, not hijacking. The problem with emulation in consoles is that most of the times it's not as good as emulation in PC. Also, prepare for input lag. And if you want to play shmups, you just plain can't. The input lag is horrible. Plus graphical glitches and stuff. It's not bad, but if you can, I think a PC is better. Or might as well get a cab and a PCB, but that costs a fuckton of money.

More topics from this board

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 5 hours ago

0 by johnsrp »»
5 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
7 hours ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
10 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
11 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.