Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 5, 2016 6:54 PM

Apr 2016
Something with some element of absurdism would be best, like cromartie high or nichijou.

Preferably nothing focused on romance, harem, etc. Looking for a series where the main focus is comedy.

Basically just want something to give me a good laugh and ideally surprise me. I've already checked out the user recs for Nichijou and Cromartie.

It doesn't even have to be slice of life if it's really funny. Just looking for a hilarious comedy honestly.
Dec 5, 2016 7:47 PM

Mar 2014
K-ON. How could you have missed that one? Shits so good.

By the way I'm the king of comedy.
Dec 5, 2016 7:50 PM

May 2015
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu - funny way of representing school tests.

D-Frag! - delinquent-looking MC

Daily Lives of High School Boys - same vibe as Nichijou. Both were hilarious.

Tonari no Seki-kun - Highly recommend. No dialogues, but that's what makes it really funny.

Special Mentions:

Barakamon - watched it twice and I'm still in love with it.

Silver Spoon - binge-watched it after seeing episode 1.
Dec 5, 2016 7:59 PM

Apr 2016
alex_jbaibsd said:
K-ON. How could you have missed that one? Shits so good.

By the way I'm the king of comedy.

That's already listed in the user recs for nichijou - also, I didn't find it particularly funny? It was ok I guess. But it wasn't hilarious or anything.
Dec 5, 2016 8:05 PM

Apr 2016
lieznerf said:
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu - funny way of representing school tests.

D-Frag! - delinquent-looking MC

Daily Lives of High School Boys - same vibe as Nichijou. Both were hilarious.

Tonari no Seki-kun - Highly recommend. No dialogues, but that's what makes it really funny.

Special Mentions:

Barakamon - watched it twice and I'm still in love with it.

Silver Spoon - binge-watched it after seeing episode 1.

Reading baka to test manga, it's pretty funny - I'm open to other funny manga recs!

The other ones were already listed in the user recs for cromartie and nichijou, I'm looking for series not on that list (the ones in the recs I've either seen already or aren't what I'm looking for)

Seen barakamon already, again, not a series that's just comedy - there are serious parts too (same for silver spoon - these are both typical slice of life anime - I'm looking for straight comedy, no real plot or drama or anything like that). Stuff like Saiki Kusuo Psi Nan or Gag manga byori. Basically I'm looking for something that's just designed to make you laugh. Something that's entirely comedic, like the series I listed in the original post.
Dec 5, 2016 8:14 PM

Aug 2014
D-Frag, Best comedy anime i've ever watched.

All Working!! Series, love the characters.

Amaama to Inazuma, this anime is refreshingly.

K-On, you love music? you love comedy? you love SoL? Perfect anime for you.

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, just watch it.
Dec 5, 2016 8:25 PM

Feb 2015
Beck
Nodame Cantabile
Nana
Slam Dunk
Azumanga Daioh
Dec 5, 2016 8:36 PM

Apr 2016
brandon221234 said:
Beck
Nodame Cantabile
Nana
Slam Dunk
Azumanga Daioh

Read azumanga daioh manga, is it worth it to watch the anime? I thought yotsubato was better than azumanga daioh tho.

And nana is a drama?? Slam dunk is a basketball manga at heart, even if it has comedic elements. Same with beck, for music, and nodame cantabile. None of these are what I'm looking for. Looking for a series where the main focus is comedy, like I said in original post.
Dec 5, 2016 8:41 PM

Apr 2016
GanbaRicchan said:
D-Frag, Best comedy anime i've ever watched.

All Working!! Series, love the characters.

Amaama to Inazuma, this anime is refreshingly.

K-On, you love music? you love comedy? you love SoL? Perfect anime for you.

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, just watch it.

I'll check out D-frag - it is really super funny?

I know Amaama to Inazuma is a typical slice of life anime and not just comedy (cause I've seen it) - working!! seems like the same. I'm looking for series that are entirely comedy-based.

And yeah, not really into K-on. Strong aversion to moe blobs that just stand around and look cute. Also I don't really like slice of life genre (and the only music anime I really like is detroit metal city lol) but I like bizarre hilarious takes on slice of life/school life like cromartie or nichijou.
Dec 5, 2016 8:44 PM
Jul 2014
Plastic Neesan - it was pretty funny, but short
hmm
Dec 5, 2016 9:11 PM

Apr 2012
People need to stop recommending K-On as a comedy. Like sure, it's a great slice of life anime, specially if you're into musical anime, but the comedy is not that great except for like one moment imo

Have you seen Ouran Host Club? I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for but the main focus is comedy, and it's hilarious. Def one of the funniest animes i've ever seen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 6, 2016 1:21 AM

Sep 2015
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Amagi Brilliant Park
Azumanga Daioh
Binbougami ga!
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken
Doujin Work
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Hanamaru Youchien
HenSemi
Excel Saga
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? (has some harem stuff but overall great comedy
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to
Minami-ke
Sabagebu!
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda
Servant x Service
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai

to name a few
Dec 6, 2016 11:36 AM

Apr 2016
dawnangel14 said:
People need to stop recommending K-On as a comedy. Like sure, it's a great slice of life anime, specially if you're into musical anime, but the comedy is not that great except for like one moment imo

Have you seen Ouran Host Club? I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for but the main focus is comedy, and it's hilarious. Def one of the funniest animes i've ever seen.

Oh yeah I love Ouran - seen it already tho lol. And yeah even tho I love it it's not what I'm looking for here cause it also has romance and drama and an actual plot.
halishereDec 6, 2016 11:47 AM
Dec 6, 2016 11:44 AM

Apr 2012
halishere said:

Oh yeah I love Ouran - seen it already tho lol.

Ohh i see… maybe you could try Ansatsu Kyoushitsu? If you haven't seen it, i thought it was pretty funny, and while it does have some shounen elements it also has a slice of life side to it. If you haven't seen it, i think it's worth checking out.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 6, 2016 11:46 AM

Apr 2016
Aoyama_Alexi said:
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Amagi Brilliant Park
Azumanga Daioh
Binbougami ga!
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken
Doujin Work
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Hanamaru Youchien
HenSemi
Excel Saga
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? (has some harem stuff but overall great comedy
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to
Minami-ke
Sabagebu!
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda
Servant x Service
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai

to name a few

Seen amagi brillant park - actually found it kinda disappointing and not as funny as I thought it would be. Read azumanga daioh manga, it's alright but I thought yotsubato was better.

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken - no....what's with this moe romance...

Nozaki-kun manga is one of my faves, so hilarious and random - not bothering to watch anime cause manga format for that type of comedy works better for me.

Hanamaru Youchien - this just looks like cutesy moe slice of life... :/

excel saga I've already seen, it's pretty funny. Seen zetsubou sensei already too.

The other ones seem more slice of life than comedy or focused more on the fanservice than the comedy or they have a legit plot. Not looking for anything with a real plot (with character development, etc).

EDIT: arakawa under the bridge looks pretty weird and off-kilter (in a funny way), I'll check it out.
halishereDec 6, 2016 12:56 PM
Dec 6, 2016 11:50 AM

Apr 2016
dawnangel14 said:
halishere said:

Oh yeah I love Ouran - seen it already tho lol.

Ohh i see… maybe you could try Ansatsu Kyoushitsu? If you haven't seen it, i thought it was pretty funny, and while it does have some shounen elements it also has a slice of life side to it. If you haven't seen it, i think it's worth checking out.

Ok i'll try it - it does look pretty absurd.
Dec 6, 2016 11:57 AM

Sep 2015
halishere said:

Seen amagi brillant park - actually found it kinda disappointing and not as funny as I thought it would be. Read azumanga daioh manga, it's alright but I thought yotsubato was better.

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken - no....what's with this moe romance...

Nozaki-kun manga is one of my faves, so hilarious and random - not bothering to watch anime cause manga format for that type of comedy works better for me.

excel saga I've already seen, it's pretty funny. Seen zetsubou sensei already too.

The other ones seem more slice of life than comedy or focused more on the fanservice than the comedy or they have a legit plot. Nothing looking for anything with a real plot (with character development, etc).

EDIT: arakawa under the bridge looks pretty weird and off-kilter (in a funny way), I'll check it out.

yeah, i do tend to like comedy anime with a cute or moe shell around them. maybe because then the conversations and jokes hit home better. but i can understand it's not to everyones tastes. anyway these were my recommendations and i'm happy you found at least a couple of them interesting enough for a try
Dec 6, 2016 12:59 PM

Apr 2016
Aoyama_Alexi said:
halishere said:

The other ones seem more slice of life than comedy or focused more on the fanservice than the comedy or they have a legit plot. Nothing looking for anything with a real plot (with character development, etc).

yeah, i do tend to like comedy anime with a cute or moe shell around them. maybe because then the conversations and jokes hit home better. but i can understand it's not to everyones tastes. anyway these were my recommendations and i'm happy you found at least a couple of them interesting enough for a try

Yeah I tend to like... sharper style? Idk how to describe it. So often moe shell makes things not as funny for me (I love crazy/ridiculous expressions on characters and I noticed that's hard to find in a lot of moe style anime). But arakawa looks pretty good, I'll check that one out.
Dec 7, 2016 7:44 AM

Apr 2016
halishere said:

Yeah I tend to like... sharper style? Idk how to describe it. So often moe shell makes things not as funny for me (I love crazy/ridiculous expressions on characters and I noticed that's hard to find in a lot of moe style anime). But arakawa looks pretty good, I'll check that one out.

Always a wonder that so few people speak about Seto no Hanayome
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2104/Seto_no_Hanayome

You'll find "ridiculous" facial expressions and over the top stupid humour. For me the best comedy (better than gintama for example) but it might be different for others.

And Arakawa under the bridge was great too, not always but I did laugh out loud sometimes.
Ysad_ZiwezhanDec 7, 2016 7:48 AM
Dec 7, 2016 8:49 AM

Feb 2016
i definitely recommend you Barakamon and Daily Lives Of Highschool Boys.

It's funny, amusing & unforgettable.
Dec 7, 2016 10:11 AM

Apr 2015
Kyoukai No Kanata Is Pretty Awesome I Hope You Like It
Dec 7, 2016 10:42 AM
Apr 2011
Azumanga Daioh should fit the bill! It's a classic series. :)

More topics from this board

» Movies

BitChilly - 9 hours ago

6 by Ohayotaku »»
54 minutes ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Apr 16

10 by ST63LTH »»
4 hours ago

» Battle romance manhwa/manga/manhua

NaTsu879 - 9 hours ago

1 by dowzer »»
5 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

23 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
7 hours ago

» Anime where guy hits girl back

Borito_Uzumaki - May 6, 2017

48 by xthewarwithinx »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.