Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 29, 2016 11:43 PM

Oct 2016
So, I've been putting this anime on hold for quite a while now - I have only seen AMV's of it and I'm impressed, though it only has 12 episodes.

I wanted to ask if it's worth watching, since I have stumbled upon a bunch of reviews with people complaining that it's too short, rushed, disappointing and such.
I'm the type who is into generally long anime's, but not Fairy Tail (It's way too long, I don't have time for that).

Should I watch it or do you have any other recommendations?
P.s. I'm into action anime
AdriannneOct 29, 2016 11:47 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2016 11:52 PM
Apr 2014
yep, it's rushed and disappointing--- the concept itself is trying to "mindf*ck" you but failing it miserably.
Madoka has done it superbly, GakkouGurashi also; but Charlotte was more like trying to be cute---then trying to catch you off guard as their episodes progress, but then because most of us have watched better shows, it couldn't put up a scare anymore.

Maybe if Charlotte was somewhere around 2010, it could have easily been one of the best. Sadly though, it placed along the sides of Chaos;Head, a part of the list of disappointments in anime.

On the other hand, there are "otakus" who dig much about Charlotte...so watch out for them because they'd think it's the greatest anime ever.

Go watch:
-Fate/Zero
-Shingeki no Kyojin
-Psycho Pass
-Steins;Gate
-Puella Magi Madoka Magica
-Another
-Darker than Black
-Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

here, at least try any of these suggestions I have. :)
Oct 29, 2016 11:55 PM

Jun 2015
Storywise, it was disappointing and unbalanced. It has, however, a good soundtrack and animation.
Oct 29, 2016 11:56 PM

Oct 2014
Since you pretty much answered your own question about it not being good (you are the best judge of your own taste, after all, so if you're put off by the bad reviews then they obviously had opinions similar enough to your own for you to still feel like it might not be that great) I will treat this as a recommendation thread. Keep in mind that I haven't seen Charlotte, just the first episode. It looked interesting and had that same concept of "would you rather be able to become invisible for 10 seconds at a time or be able to fly up to two feet above the ground?", but I've heard it's poorly executed.

Kill la Kill is a good action anime with great character designs. It is well paced and is generally considered to be a good anime. Railgun/Index is an amazing series that is also about characters who have different special powers. It's one of my favourite anime. The franchise is around 100 episodes, but it's broken into four seasons.
Oct 30, 2016 12:00 AM
May 2016
Good anime no reason not to watch it, Id say 6-7 still really good though interesting characters cute heroine. All in all its still worth the watch
Oct 30, 2016 12:05 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
It's ok, Story and action is ok. Small amount of feels and hits of emotions, but don't really come developed like the massive feels from Clannad, more like a weaker Angel Beats. I didn't think it was short or rushed. But I was glad it was over with. Even with more episodes for development, I don't see a emotionfest happening with this cast and story even if they gave it another 13 episodes. The ending (last 2 episodes) were a trainwreck. I liked Charlotte, but wouldn't call it good.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Oct 30, 2016 12:09 AM

Oct 2016
zombie_pegasus said:
Since you pretty much answered your own question about it not being good (you are the best judge of your own taste, after all, so if you're put off by the bad reviews then they obviously had opinions similar enough to your own for you to still feel like it might not be that great) I will treat this as a recommendation thread. Keep in mind that I haven't seen Charlotte, just the first episode. It looked interesting and had that same concept of "would you rather be able to become invisible for 10 seconds at a time or be able to fly up to two feet above the ground?", but I've heard it's poorly executed.

Kill la Kill is a good action anime with great character designs. It is well paced and is generally considered to be a good anime. Railgun/Index is an amazing series that is also about characters who have different special powers. It's one of my favourite anime. The franchise is around 100 episodes, but it's broken into four seasons.

Of course AMV's make anything look good, but I'm not the type to be affected by random reviews. I've researched a bunch on my favourite anime before watching it and was set off by the criticism. I looked past it, watched the whole anime and it's safe to say that it's one of my most favourites.

Everyone has different tastes and I won't judge - though it doesn't mean that I won't read the reviews because I will, I don't want to waste my own time just to form an opinion on how good it was when I didn't even like it.

Thanks for the recommendations but it seems like I'm not interested in neither of them. I'm picky when it comes to movies and anime. x
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2016 12:17 AM

Oct 2016
No it's horrible. The ending is one of the worst I've ever seen, period. Like one of the worst 3 endings of any anime I've ever seen. The art and animation is gorgeous as expected of PA works and it has nice music but everything good about it stops there. The main character is bipolar and at the beginning of the show is an absolute cowardly douchebag which honestly isn't that bad, yet somehow, the audience is expected to believe that someone with such a rotten personality has the capacity to risk his own life to try and save the world within the span of thirteen episodes. None of the other characters receive any form of character development and many of the problems that the characters face are never addressed due to time restraints. The first half of the anime is painfully boring and drags on as though your head was pinned to a conveyor belt made of sandpaper while reading the Scarlet Letter. Then the latter half makes an attempt at actual storytelling only to start eating leaded paint chips while drinking turpentine to wash it down and make them easier to digest. It seems like Key's animes just keep getting worse and worse and Charlotte was merely a desperate attempt at salvaging some semblance of relevance after not having made anything remotely decent in the past few years.
IngridOct 30, 2016 12:20 AM
Oct 30, 2016 12:22 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
GiancarloLS said:
Charlotte is a Key anime, I don't think Key anime were ever trying to mind fuck anyone, but only for the feels and emotions. Only the time travel happened to be similar with ERASED, Madoka, etc. but don't group them together. If it was really rushed, it would have to be the 2nd half cause overall the plot moved so slowly for me (first half of the anime) while the 2nd half, a lot of things happened that you could say went really fast including the trainwreck ending of course which was a BS way to just finish and end the story fast.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Oct 30, 2016 12:26 AM

Oct 2016
Ingr1d said:
No it's horrible. The ending is one of the worst I've ever seen, period. Like one of the worst 3 endings of any anime I've ever seen. The art and animation is gorgeous as expected of PA works and it has nice music but everything good about it stops there. The main character is bipolar and at the beginning of the show is an absolute cowardly douchebag which honestly isn't that bad, yet somehow, the audience is expected to believe that someone with such a rotten personality has the capacity to risk his own life to try and save the world within the span of thirteen episodes. None of the other characters receive any form of character development and many of the problems that the characters face are never addressed due to time restraints. The first half of the anime is painfully boring and drags on as though your head was pinned to a conveyor belt made of sandpaper while reading the Scarlet Letter. Then the latter half makes an attempt at actual storytelling only to start eating leaded paint chips while drinking turpentine to wash it down and make them easier to digest. It seems like Key's animes just keep getting worse and worse and Charlotte was merely a desperate attempt at salvaging some semblance of relevance after not having made anything remotely decent in the past few years.

I see, well thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll put it on hold for a really long time, perhaps when I run out of good series and will have nothing better to do but watch an anime for its sole animation.
Oct 30, 2016 12:48 AM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

Haven't watched Charlotte~
Oct 30, 2016 12:50 AM

Aug 2012
Shocked said:

You should, so you'll get cancer.
Oct 30, 2016 12:54 AM

Jan 2010
julyan said:
Shocked said:

...What should I expect here?

Oct 30, 2016 12:58 AM

Aug 2012
Shocked said:
julyan said:

Weak writing and a confusing storyline on a fundamental level. I sometimes even doubt that this is written by Jun Maeda.
Oct 30, 2016 1:03 AM

Jan 2013
I personally dropped it on the second episode, so yeah
Oct 30, 2016 1:03 AM

Jan 2010
julyan said:
Shocked said:

Weak writing and a confusing storyline on a fundamental level. I sometimes even doubt that this is written by Jun Maeda.

I'll eventually check it out, but, um...how do I put this without getting lynched...I haven't gotten around to any of the Key/Visual Arts visual novels except for Planetarian, and while I enjoyed that, I've also watched Angel Beats, whose production problems I can forgive, and Air and Kanon (2006), of which I had mixed feelings for. I guess I'm conditioned sufficiently to go in...?
Oct 30, 2016 1:10 AM

Aug 2012
Shocked said:
julyan said:

I'll eventually check it out, but, um...how do I put this without getting lynched...I haven't gotten around to any of the Key/Visual Arts visual novels except for Planetarian, and while I enjoyed that, I've also watched Angel Beats, whose production problems I can forgive, and Air and Kanon (2006), of which I had mixed feelings for. I guess I'm conditioned sufficiently to go in...?

It's not really that bad, but when Jun Maeda was the main writer for this, the main writer of Key/Visual Arts, then it's kinda unforgivable. You can say that my feelings towards the show boils down to my unfulfilled expectations. But in my defense, I didn't have a high expectation for it .__.

I understand your feelings for Air and Kanon because it simply went down to the execution of the studio, which is KyoAni at that time. They only kinda improved and mastered the art of adapting Key VNs when Clannad came. Jun Maeda doesn't have any involvement on Planetarian though so we can't take that into consideration. But if you liked Angel Beats, then I guess you can find some enjoyment on this one, albeit not as much.
Oct 30, 2016 3:30 AM
Apr 2014
Shocked said:
Moved from Anime Discussion

DON'T watch Charlotte. Go watch something worthwhile instead, like Psycho Pass, or Steins;Gate, or Kill la Kill, or Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
Oct 30, 2016 3:46 AM
Apr 2014
Gaiking said:
GiancarloLS said:
Charlotte is a Key anime, I don't think Key anime were ever trying to mind fuck anyone, but only for the feels and emotions. Only the time travel happened to be similar with ERASED, Madoka, etc. but don't group them together. If it was really rushed, it would have to be the 2nd half cause overall the plot moved so slowly for me (first half of the anime) while the 2nd half, a lot of things happened that you could say went really fast including the trainwreck ending of course which was a BS way to just finish and end the story fast.

I don't care even if KyoAni made it. Just because it's "Key" doesn't mean it's automatically one of the greatest anime there is. I mean, Musaigen no Phantom World is KyoAni and it sucks. Same reason with Charlotte---juz because it's made by Key doesn't mean I'd worship it.

Charlotte sucks, character development is pretentious as if there's anything going on like looking for "fellow power users", plot development is a freight train of deus ex machina and plotholes that even Stephenie Meyer have done better writing than Charlotte's mangaka, the theme itself is like some kinda of X-Men---seriously looking for "fellow mutants" being compressed by 5 mins on the last episode---I mean, after 11 episodes of doing some "cute and comedy".

Charlotte, if anything, can be group together with hapless anime like Classroom Crisis, Inou-Battle, and Glasslip--- the kind of anime where you'd have high expectations from all the hype when they were about to be shown, only to find out that they're just trash and pure disappointments.

And oh, I think the only selling point of Charlotte and the reason why everyone says it's "awesome" is because Charlotte fans like to see Nao Tomori in her underwear, right?
Nov 2, 2016 3:09 PM

Feb 2013
Pretty average. First half of 1st episode was somewhat interesting and enjoyable for me, mc was full of energy and personality and later they just butchered him to generic personalityless booring mc. Also "main girl" is annoying af, though she'll get punched in the face a few times so there's at least something to look forward to.

The OVA is God damn terrible though, hated it.
PzKpfw_VI_TigerNov 2, 2016 3:16 PM
Nov 12, 2016 11:13 PM

Dec 2015
The story is absurd, but it's not all bad.
here some points of what i liked and disliked without spoiling the story

Liked:
>Yuu's evil personality/smile/laugh
>Yuu's friendship with Takajou
>using supernatural abilities (in a funny way)
>Yuu changing to be more thoughtful of others
>The 13 episodes can be watched in one day

Disliked:
>Nao x Yuu romance (it wasn't even there)
> To let Yuu face the enemy ALONE not once but twice!
> Yuu getting badly injured.. how many times we see Yuu hospitalized?
LegendSkyNov 12, 2016 11:19 PM
Nov 12, 2016 11:18 PM
Jul 2018
It was alright, the premise and the concept was pretty nice, the first half seemed pretty decent and entertaining, however the second half kinda falls off a bit, the ending being more of a rushed conclusion, that it could have been an entire second season due to how it was put placed in the 12th episode.

I do suggest having low expectations if you are expecting a lot, in the end it's not that amazing but it was fun to some extent back when I watched it.
Nov 20, 2016 12:00 AM
Mar 2015
I'm a somewhat picky watcher and in my opinion it's good, just rushed.

More topics from this board

» Yuu's Ability

PenguinLam - Apr 18

38 by ChadtheTech »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2015

649 by MsBorsh »»
Apr 21, 11:49 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sakaitsu - Jul 4, 2015

652 by MsBorsh »»
Apr 21, 4:34 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2015

886 by KumaGetsu »»
Apr 18, 10:21 PM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2015

459 by Tsunamii_ »»
Apr 6, 4:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.