Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 12, 2016 3:11 PM

May 2014
I know Pokemon doesn't really have any real plot or connections but I'm tempted to start watching the Pokemon anime again and want to know if this would be a good one to start on? I watched the first few episodes of the first anime and put it on hold (plan to go back to it soon) but I 100% prefer watching anime while it airs ;3; I'm really paranoid about jumping in late so just want to know if I'd get lost.

Sep 12, 2016 3:39 PM

Mar 2014
That one will start in November. Since Satoshi tends to reset his team, he would have new ones in his team that would replace his Kalos Team. Right now, the XY&Z is in the middle of the Team Flare arc that is going to end very soon.
Sep 12, 2016 4:01 PM

Oct 2014
Well Pokemon is a series where you don't have to watch it from the very 1st episode.
You can start watching it from every start of a new season.
Sep 12, 2016 4:05 PM

May 2014
MajinAkuma said:
That one will start in November. Since Satoshi tends to reset his team, he would have new ones in his team that would replace his Kalos Team. Right now, the XY&Z is in the middle of the Team Flare arc that is going to end very soon.
Bourmegar said:
Well Pokemon is a series where you don't have to watch it from the very 1st episode.
You can start watching it from every start of a new season.

Sweet, thanks! I wasn't 100% sure but wanted to double check just in case something changed in the anime recently c;

Sep 13, 2016 4:58 AM
Oct 2012
You can jump in anywhere but I do highly recommend starting from XY, if you have the time. This was the turnaround point of Ash changing to a different region and getting completely new companions. It's also where the good animation starts. I suspect Sun&Moon will have the same companion characters so watching Sun&Moon would be like watching Johto Journeys without watching the original series. If you care about the full character development, this matters. Otherwise, not so much.
Sep 13, 2016 5:19 AM

May 2009
I reccomend beginning from XY, it's the turning point of the pokémon series.
Sep 13, 2016 6:28 AM

Jul 2013
mokahless said:
..I suspect Sun&Moon will have the same companion characters..

It won't. There'll be new campanion characters for the Sun and Moon series.
Sep 13, 2016 8:41 AM

Jul 2008
Xy would be the most easiest to start and catch up on. The only ??? you might get is Ash knowing Pansy, Sister of Viola the first Kalos gymleader. Origins would also be a good start if yer familiar with the games lore.

The movies are kinda standalone except for the first one and even that one wasnt built up that much in the OG anime.

Anyway, yeah you can probably just jump in without much problems.
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Sep 13, 2016 11:10 AM

Mar 2014
Almost every movie is canon, but they don't add much to the anime series. Several openings and few events might reference the movies, but it's not necessary to know them.
Sep 13, 2016 7:22 PM
May 2015
I recommend you to start watching diamond & pearl and work your self up to xyz. Lots of people skipped best wishes because they "didn't like it" but u really shouldn't skip best wishes, Especially if ur a beginner. If you want all subs then just start at best wishes and wait for all sub to be updated for dp or start on the later stages of it.

Sep 13, 2016 7:24 PM
Oct 2012
SandyBoi said:
mokahless said:
..I suspect Sun&Moon will have the same companion characters..

You have a source on this? The last 3 episodes have yet to be aired so I'm not sure how you can say for sure. Although, I said this before watching the most recent episode which involved
. That, along with the episode title of the last episode in XY&Z announced as "Starting from Zero! Citron's Decision!!" seems to hint heavily at at least Citron not continuing on with Satoshi. I see no hints regarding Serena. Although she has that offer of the table of [spoilers]training with that old lady[/spoilers], I would at least expect an episode dedicated to her decision to take the offer, of which no future episode titles hint at, so far. Although part of my remaining suspicion is based on my assumption that the "starting from zero" portion of the final title is referring to Citron, which may be incorrect.

Although twice in a row Ash's companion has changed to the female counterpart from the games, this didn't happen for Red/Blue, Gold/Silver or Black/White. The most notable being Misty, who didn't change at all for Gold/Silver release.

I guess we'll find out Oct. 5th. Or within a week thereof. Unless no one subs them except PM subs. In which case, we'll find out probably late December/ early January.
Sep 13, 2016 7:30 PM
May 2015
gogo
mokahless said:
SandyBoi said:

You have a source on this? The last 3 episodes have yet to be aired so I'm not sure how you can say for sure. Although, I said this before watching the most recent episode which involved
. That, along with the episode title of the last episode in XY&Z announced as "Starting from Zero! Citron's Decision!!" seems to hint heavily at at least Citron not continuing on with Satoshi. I see no hints regarding Serena. Although she has that offer of the table of [spoilers]training with that old lady[/spoilers], I would at least expect an episode dedicated to her decision to take the offer, of which no future episode titles hint at, so far. Although part of my remaining suspicion is based on my assumption that the "starting from zero" portion of the final title is referring to Citron, which may be incorrect.

Although twice in a row Ash's companion has changed to the female counterpart from the games, this didn't happen for Red/Blue, Gold/Silver or Black/White. The most notable being Misty, who didn't change at all for Gold/Silver release.

I guess we'll find out Oct. 5th. Or within a week thereof. Unless no one subs them except PM subs. In which case, we'll find out probably late December/ early January.

gogoanime releases raw episodes that are always 3+ episodes ahead, depending what subbers ur comparing it to tho. Im rewatching so im not up to date so i guess i cant say anything either.

Sep 14, 2016 4:44 AM
Dec 2009
jeikobu11 said:
gogoanime releases raw episodes that are always 3+ episodes ahead, depending what subbers ur comparing it to tho. Im rewatching so im not up to date so i guess i cant say anything either.

I watch the episodes raw on TV every Thursday and they haven't announced anything official about the upcoming anime on TV yet. Tomorrow is a 1 hour special which promised a "big announcement" which I assume it the Sun & Moon anime so we'll see what happens...
LararinSep 14, 2016 4:27 PM
Sep 14, 2016 2:31 PM
Jul 2018
Just look at the genre of Pokemon Sun and moon,Now looks like Ash's pretty much goin to change especially adding school genre.XY was really good but I do have feeling that sun and moon will be greatest turning point of Ash's journey.
Sep 16, 2016 8:45 PM

Mar 2016
The problem with watching pokemon as it airs in Japan is that you have to still go old school and wait for fan subs. Generally what happens is the day after an episode airs the raw is on youtube, then a shitty fansub from some dude who doesn't speak English or Japanese with any skill, then a few weeks to a month the Pocket Monster Group puts out the good fan subs, it can be a struggle avoiding spoilers as I found out last month -_-. But if you can put up with the wait it's worth it. The only thing is I can't recommend the Dub, no offense to the VA's, they aren't the issue, they just change the music to be very dull by comparison to the Sub version.
ElsoSep 16, 2016 8:49 PM
Oct 17, 2016 11:58 AM

Jun 2015
Okay this is what you need to do:

Watch season 1-3

Then drop the anime.

trust me it's way better
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Oct 25, 2016 1:58 PM

May 2009
Kageyama-chan said:

Watch season 1-3

Then drop the anime.

trust me it's way better

You're not very trustworthy to say he has to drop the animé right before season 4 as that's considered the second best season.
Oct 26, 2016 1:30 PM

Jun 2015
Shoryuuken said:
Kageyama-chan said:

Watch season 1-3

Then drop the anime.

trust me it's way better

You're not very trustworthy to say he has to drop the animé right before season 4 as that's considered the second best season.

I meant the 4th region.
everything else is BS

Sinnoh was terrible ;/
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Oct 27, 2016 3:31 AM

Jan 2016
Kageyama-chan said:

Sinnoh was terrible ;/

Sinnoh was "THE" best in the Pokemon serie according to me and tons of other people, it's atleast considerd the 2nd best after XYZ. The serie for once didn't focus on just Ash as Dawn and Ash both were to protagonist of the DP series. The music was great as always and we had the best rival since Gary oak. The Infernape arc was amazing and so was the sinnoh league (except for the semi final)
Oct 27, 2016 11:03 AM

May 2009
Kageyama-chan said:
Shoryuuken said:

I meant the 4th region.
everything else is BS

Sinnoh was terrible ;/

You're the very minority that thinks Sinnoh is terrible. To me it's the 2nd best season in the anime, with XY/XYZ being on 1. To say Sinnoh is terrible while it's one of the most loved pokémon series and not reccomending it to someone else who may enjoy it is a very selfish thing to say.
Oct 27, 2016 11:30 AM

Jun 2015
Shoryuuken said:
Kageyama-chan said:

I meant the 4th region.
everything else is BS

Sinnoh was terrible ;/

You're the very minority that thinks Sinnoh is terrible. To me it's the 2nd best season in the anime, with XY/XYZ being on 1. To say Sinnoh is terrible while it's one of the most loved pokémon series and not reccomending it to someone else who may enjoy it is a very selfish thing to say.

The most lovable is season 1.
The show gets more shit in the later seasons.
You're just that type of dude that likes X and Y (which was terrible)
Oct 27, 2016 2:05 PM

May 2009
Kageyama-chan said:
Shoryuuken said:

This discussion is over.
Oct 29, 2016 5:29 AM

Aug 2016
All seasons have their ups and downs except for season 5 that season is just bad.
Imo: S3>S1/S2/S4/S6>S5
And that's just bias from me cause i liked generation 3 as a whole the most.

OT you can just start with w/e season you want, there isen't changed much over the years, Mega evolution is somthing they added but watching the special shorts about them is more then enough.
Oct 31, 2016 3:23 PM

Jul 2008
FireFistYamaan said:
Kageyama-chan said:

Sinnoh was terrible ;/

Sinnoh was "THE" best in the Pokemon serie according to me and tons of other people, it's atleast considerd the 2nd best after XYZ. The serie for once didn't focus on just Ash as Dawn and Ash both were to protagonist of the DP series. The music was great as always and we had the best rival since Gary oak. The Infernape arc was amazing and so was the sinnoh league (except for the semi final)

Though all those points also made it quite dull at certain points ironically. The starting episodes with Paul were frustrating, Dawn didn't find her groove fast enough and Infernape became the spotlight stealing mon. Heck, Torterra had to job constantly to make Infernape look good. Infernape took the spotlight in everything, from the later part of the gym battles to the 2 six on six battles against Paul. And that stretch from Snowpoint and Sunnyshore, 50 episodes of no gym battles.

Shinnoh's strong points are also what dragged it down for a few people. Still, it was a great regiin overall.
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Nov 3, 2016 10:02 PM
Jul 2018
Shoryuuken said:
Kageyama-chan said:

This discussion is over.

Seriously I get it that you wouldn't like it, but saying it's shit really, I don't even know, and I know this is just maybe taking the piss but yeah... for me, I consider at least Sinnoh the second best, in terms of characters, the adventure to it, hell it has one of the few best fights of the franchise.

The only one I can say and most people can agree with me (maybe?) is that the only "shit" one is Best Wishes, and as much as I kind of enjoyed it to some extent... everything else was pretty underwhelming from it, from the characters towards the fights... it felt rather mediocre and even the villains arc was pretty bad... it just felt wtf for me in the end. I can just say that its the worst there... but just saying everything is shit from Gen 4 and onward... that's just, not really true. Gen 4 is good, Gen 5 is shit, Gen 6 is great. At least imo.

Then again just giving my two cents.
Nov 19, 2016 5:19 PM

May 2010
As a fan of the games and someone who was 10 when it first aired in English, I couldn't stay into the series past the third or so season. Basically once they lost Misty you could tell they lost some other things as well, like meaningful content that hadn't been repeated time and time again.

At the very least this new art direction is fresh, something it's clearly been lacking for a while now. There's no telling how bad the English dub will screw it up, so I recommend starting with this season and sticking with the Japanese dub just in case.

That said, I highly recommend watching the first season to completion. It's definitely worth it and if you haven't played the games it'll introduce you to the world and to Ash (Satoshi). The English dub is fine on this one, though you'll have to bear with things like them eating donuts aka rice balls. There's also a couple of episodes that never aired here in America (even more than didn't air in other countries), which you may want to check out.

The further on you go, the less worth it it becomes to watch each season. Season 2 is fairly decent and 3 is somewhat less so.

It's too early to tell if Sun & Moon will transform the rest of the series, but it's looking really good right now just based on the first two episodes. It's unclear how serious it'll be, but I think they could pull off a good serious episode or two if they tried, like Bye Bye Pikachu.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kensai-Serazu - Nov 17, 2016

105 by crackingfeetlol »»
Mar 29, 11:32 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 146 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ri22rk - Nov 3, 2019

52 by leanrv »»
Feb 22, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 144 Discussion

Ri22rk - Oct 20, 2019

28 by leanrv »»
Feb 20, 5:44 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 143 Discussion

Ri22rk - Oct 13, 2019

18 by leanrv »»
Feb 14, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 139 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Crzykido - Sep 15, 2019

58 by leanrv »»
Feb 7, 10:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.