Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 5, 2016 2:14 PM
Nov 2015
We need more shoujo ai, and in all of the newer animes i don't really see any nor shonene ai i guess
RN
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 5, 2016 2:17 PM
May 2016
SesemeCat said:
We need more shoujo ai, and in all of the newer animes i don't really see any nor shonene ai i guess

yo when it come down to manga yes they need a shii load more but they wont make much anime bout girl x girl or boy x boy so its best just to stick with reading instead of getting hopes up
Sep 5, 2016 2:17 PM
Jul 2018
Anime adapts mostly mainstream manga.

Yuri/yaoi manga aren't mainstream, but are rather niche, globally.
Sep 5, 2016 2:20 PM

Oct 2014
Anime is much more expensive to produce than manga. Some magical girl anime add in some yuri stuff for the older audience, but true yuri anime don't have enough of a market to be mass produced. Fujoshi tend to be fine with doujinshi.
Sep 5, 2016 2:24 PM

Dec 2014
In the anime industry there is a big lack of Shoujo manga, not only Shoujo Ai. And the majority of the shoujo anime adaptation don't even get finished. I think that shoujo in general don't sell that well when it comes to anime, so probably that what why we don't get so many. About Shoujo Ai, to be honest I don't even know who the main target is... I mean BL are written by females for females... most of the shoujo ai and yuri I see out there is written by womans too, but I am not sure if it targets males or females. BL seem to sell in quite a decent ammount, but Shoujo Ai, not so much.
Sep 5, 2016 2:25 PM

May 2016
You'll just have to stick with Sakura Trick and be happy about it.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Sep 5, 2016 2:32 PM

Jul 2014
I just gonna say two words...... I Agree :)
Sep 5, 2016 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
kronopy said:
most of the shoujo ai and yuri I see out there is written by womans too, but I am not sure if it targets males or females.

Both, but with a slight tendency toward females.
Sep 5, 2016 2:50 PM

Feb 2014
The most recent ones I can think of from the top of my head are Samurai Flamenco and Yuri Kuma.

You might have more luck with idol anime? There's always a lot of subtext yuri/yaoi in idol shows since the groups are gender separated.
Sep 5, 2016 5:56 PM

Jan 2013
What are you complaining about?

Next season you have like a bunch of yuribait shows.

You've got:

Brave Witches
Flip Flappers
Girlish Number
Idol Memories
Keijo
Lostorage Incited Wixoss
Shakunetsu No Takyuu Musume
Show By Rock!! 2
Shuumatsu No Izetta
Soushin Shoujou Matoi
Stella No Mahou
and
Vivid Strike!

LIKE GODAMN that's too many yuribait shows for one season. Out of those shows, the only ones I have any hint of interest in are Flip Flappers, and Shuumatsu No Izetta.

I don't know. Next season, anime producers are giving you a bunch of shit that fits to your tastes. Go support them if you want more. It's your time to show the creators of these shows that you exist.
Sep 5, 2016 6:00 PM

May 2015
TitanAnteus said:

You've got:

Brave Witches
Flip Flappers
Girlish Number
Idol Memories
Keijo
Lostorage Incited Wixoss
Show By Rock!! 2
Shuumatsu No Izetta
Soushin Shoujou Matoi
Stella No Mahou
and
Vivid Strike!

LIKE GODAMN that's too many yuribait shows for one season. Out of those shows, the only ones I have any hint of interest in are Flip Flappers, and Shuumatsu No Izetta.

I don't know. Next season, anime producers are giving you a bunch of shit that fits to your tastes. Go support them if you want more. It's your time to show the creators of these shows that you exist.

Yuri-bait does not equal yuri though. Some people legit just want to watch a series about the romance between two guys/girls, not something with an all or mostly female/male cast for potential shipping.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Sep 5, 2016 6:06 PM

Jan 2013
RainyRai said:
TitanAnteus said:

You've got:

Brave Witches
Flip Flappers
Girlish Number
Idol Memories
Keijo
Lostorage Incited Wixoss
Show By Rock!! 2
Shuumatsu No Izetta
Soushin Shoujou Matoi
Stella No Mahou
and
Vivid Strike!

Yuri-bait does not equal yuri though. Some people legit just want to watch a series about the romance between two guys/girls, not something with an all or mostly female/male cast for potential shipping.

Pure yuri shows, generally tend to do badly though. I think the only exception is maybe Sakura Trick (which did like... OK) and the Yuri yuri series, which is surprisingly pretty tame on the yuri.

Even Utena which had a cult following after it was released wasn't well received as it was airing. Same with Yuri Kuma Arashi.

I'm not saying shoujou ai shouldn't exist, btw. I'm saying take baby steps. If anime creators see that their yuribait shows are getting any traction they're more likely to take it a step further.

Lemon said:
The most recent ones I can think of from the top of my head are Samurai Flamenco and Yuri Kuma.

You might have more luck with idol anime? There's always a lot of subtext yuri/yaoi in idol shows since the groups are gender separated.

I just read this. What part of Samurai Flamenco is gay?
TitanAnteusSep 5, 2016 6:13 PM
Sep 5, 2016 6:07 PM

Jul 2016
If you haven't tried them yet, I suggest you 2 anime you're gonna love:

Option 1: Yuru Yuri

Option 2: Yuru Yuri

Pick one ^_^
Sep 5, 2016 6:17 PM

Feb 2014
TitanAnteus said:

The part where the idol chick proclaimed her love for the other idol chick and proceeded to have a make-out session in the cave thing? idk man that was pretty gay.
Sep 5, 2016 6:19 PM

Jan 2013
Lemon said:
TitanAnteus said:

The part where the idol chick proclaimed her love for the other idol chick and proceeded to have a make-out session in the cave thing? idk man that was pretty gay.

AH YEAH. I forgot about that since it wasn't the lead characters.

There's gay sidecharacters in a bunch of shows. Even harem have them, so Samurai Flamenco's name coming up here sounded about as out of place as Tiger & Bunny.
Sep 5, 2016 6:32 PM

Feb 2014
TitanAnteus said:
Lemon said:

AH YEAH. I forgot about that since it wasn't the lead characters.

There's gay sidecharacters in a bunch of shows. Even harem have them, so Samurai Flamenco's name coming up here sounded about as out of place as Tiger & Bunny.

Yeah the leads not going canon after that ending annoyed me a bit but I'm happy with what I got with the idols.

I mention Flamwenco because I can't even think of any recent shoujo ai between side characters ):

@SesemeCat I had a quick run through your list, some great shoujo ai titles you're missing out on:

- Revolutionary Girl Utena
- Rose of Versailles (side character)
- Aoi Hana (THE shoujo ai anime to watch)
- Hourou Musuko (side characters)
- Kuragehime (trans-girl)
Sep 5, 2016 6:37 PM

Nov 2015
Finally! Someone who speaks the mind of the masses. I wholeheartedly agree with you, op.

TitanAnteus said:

Yuribaiting (and queerbaiting) in popular media is a problem in itself. You target, and literally bait, a specific audience cough The Gays cough and then you let them (us) down with supposedly perfect chemistry between two characters that never goes anywhere. It gets tiring and quite disappointing after a while.

edit: I agree with your response to RainyRai. Those are very valid points.
bucketofwormsSep 5, 2016 7:02 PM
thanks @grimace for the jon stamp i love you
Sep 5, 2016 6:41 PM
Sep 2013
lady_freyja said:

That is not true.Half of them are adapted from extremely minor manga that are selling less than 20k,even K-on was 20k per volume before anime.
Sep 5, 2016 7:51 PM

Jan 2013
Chikaji said:
Finally! Someone who speaks the mind of the masses. I wholeheartedly agree with you, op.

TitanAnteus said:

Yuribaiting (and queerbaiting) in popular media is a problem in itself. You target, and literally bait, a specific audience cough The Gays cough and then you let them (us) down with supposedly perfect chemistry between two characters that never goes anywhere. It gets tiring and quite disappointing after a while.

edit: I agree with your response to RainyRai. Those are very valid points.

They bait because they're scared. When they go all the way it reflects negatively in sales.

Next season is practically all yuri-bait with some actual yuri probably mixed in there, so here's the chance to see whether or not yuri's popular.

I swear, anime seasons have been themed. One season we had a bunch of harems, and now we're getting a bunch of yuribait type shows. I wonder if the execs at all these studios are actually coordinating...
Sep 5, 2016 7:53 PM

Feb 2015
Dude... There's an advance search here... If you haven't watched ALL of it, then you don't have the right to complain.
Sep 5, 2016 7:56 PM
Jul 2018
Of course I need more shoujo ai. There's never enough shoujo ai. I can't live without my daily dose of 5 yuri pics.
That being said, we have manga! More yuri manga/doujinshi than we can read in our lives.
Sep 5, 2016 8:25 PM
Nov 2015
TitanAnteus said:

You've got:

Brave Witches
Flip Flappers
Girlish Number
Idol Memories
Keijo
Lostorage Incited Wixoss
Show By Rock!! 2
Shuumatsu No Izetta
Soushin Shoujou Matoi
Stella No Mahou
and
Vivid Strike!

but their only bits not like its legit stuff
RN
Sep 5, 2016 8:26 PM
Nov 2015
_Ako_ said:
Dude... There's an advance search here... If you haven't watched ALL of it, then you don't have the right to complain.

in animes their is only 52 or 53 if you even go to manga mos of it is barly long and doesnt even have a synopis
RN
Sep 5, 2016 8:29 PM

Feb 2015
SesemeCat said:
_Ako_ said:

in animes their is only 52 or 53 if you even go to manga mos of it is barly long and doesnt even have a synopis

So... What do you want me to do?
52 series are "not enough" in fact it is a huge number of series that is only dedicated to that genre.
Sep 5, 2016 8:40 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
TitanAnteus said:

You've got:

Brave Witches
Flip Flappers
Girlish Number
Idol Memories
Keijo
Lostorage Incited Wixoss
Show By Rock!! 2
Shuumatsu No Izetta
Soushin Shoujou Matoi
Stella No Mahou
and
Vivid Strike!

don't be postin' no list of everything im personally watching next season ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 5, 2016 8:59 PM

Oct 2014
The subject of the recent dearth of shoujo-ai came up during the 2nd episode discussion of Yuri Kuma Arashi. Okanagan (a MAL member who's been inactive since May 2015) had a particularly insightful post:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1342039&show=50#msg37529209

Basically he's saying that following the 4 season success of MariMite the only true "Central-Element Yuri" shows were Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto and both were cancelled after 1 cour each. Shows such as Yuru Yuri and Sakura Trick, for all their relative popularity are really "Secondary-Element Yuri" due to the yuri relationships being so shallow.

Just to be clear both Strawberry Panic and Simoun, both 2 cour shows and true yuri shows both aired during 2006 which was in the middle of MariMite's 2004-2009 run.
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Sep 5, 2016 9:51 PM

Jan 2013
EcchiLordMamster said:
TitanAnteus said:

You've got:

Brave Witches
Flip Flappers
Girlish Number
Idol Memories
Keijo
Lostorage Incited Wixoss
Show By Rock!! 2
Shuumatsu No Izetta
Soushin Shoujou Matoi
Stella No Mahou
and
Vivid Strike!

don't be postin' no list of everything im personally watching next season ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

DIsgusting. Those shows legit look bad outside of Flip Flappers and Shuumatsu No Izetta.
Sep 5, 2016 9:53 PM

Mar 2016
My biggest complaint is that Yuri relationships are so tame that yuribait anime are pretty much the same intensity. Even Yuri hentai is super tame. It's adorable but also such a tease.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Sep 5, 2016 9:53 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
TitanAnteus said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

DIsgusting. Those shows legit look bad outside of Flip Flappers and Shuumatsu No Izetta.

now you have joined the *bait Mamster-P club* son... i am disappoint...
Sep 5, 2016 9:55 PM

Jan 2013
EcchiLordMamster said:
TitanAnteus said:

NO! IT WASN'T EVEN DELICIOUS T_T
DAMN YOU MAMSTER
Sep 5, 2016 9:57 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
TitanAnteus said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

NO! IT WASN'T EVEN DELICIOUS T_T
DAMN YOU MAMSTER

i just lol'd...

insert thirst characters in dis muhfuh....
Sep 5, 2016 10:01 PM

Jan 2013
OtakuDaikun said:
My biggest complaint is that Yuri relationships are so tame that yuribait anime are pretty much the same intensity. Even Yuri hentai is super tame. It's adorable but also such a tease.

Lol, I think you want to much.

Don't you think non-yuri anime is just as tame? I mean, think of Rakudai Kishi. That had some fanservice but it was super innocent in the romance department. Ikki had a really hard time trying to kiss Stella. On the other hand, in Sakura Trick and Yuru Yuri it's usually a kissing party up in there.
Sep 5, 2016 10:34 PM

Jul 2015
The mangas tend to be better so i'd rather have More manga made.

Season 4 of yryr would be nice dough
Sep 5, 2016 10:57 PM

Jun 2015
lady_freyja said:

Anime in its entirety is niche af. It's not just yuri/yaoi.

But I guess there's apparently a niche hierarchy on anime genres. And yaoi/yuri are on the top of it.
Sep 5, 2016 11:27 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
We can only lie in wait for yuri to rise.

_Ako_ said:

52 series are "not enough" in fact it is a huge number of series that is only dedicated to that genre.

How is 52 a huge number? Shoujo ai is one of the smallest tags in MAL.
Sep 5, 2016 11:45 PM

Feb 2016
Yuri is only seen as a fanservice element these days, so sad. My queer heart aches.
Sep 5, 2016 11:56 PM
Jul 2018
umashikaneko said:
lady_freyja said:

That is not true.Half of them are adapted from extremely minor manga that are selling less than 20k,even K-on was 20k per volume before anime.

ixaa said:
lady_freyja said:

Anime in its entirety is niche af. It's not just yuri/yaoi.

But I guess there's apparently a niche hierarchy on anime genres. And yaoi/yuri are on the top of it.

What I meant is: studios adapt manga that they think will sell relatively well.

Thus they choose manga that have a minimal fan-base and are similar to other successful anime. K-ON is a moe blob, moe blob are popular in anime format, so they might pick relatively less well known moe blob manga.

In the case of the yuri and yaoi, those genre are somewhat niche in the whole manga market, they also globally sell poorly in the anime format.
Unsurprisingly, the best selling "yuri" anime are also moe blob, such as Yuru Yuri. Because when you try a real yuri such as Sasamekikoto, it doesn't sell well enough to be entitled for a second season.
That's the reality of the market: what sells well is "mainstream" in its own market, while what sells less well or even poorly is "niche".

Of course I'm speaking "in general", there is exception. Sometime some anime are more "experimental", for testing the market for other similar shows. Or because of a dedicated producer, like in the case of Yuri Kuma Arashi.
Sep 6, 2016 2:32 AM

May 2015
TitanAnteus said:
RainyRai said:

Pure yuri shows, generally tend to do badly though. I think the only exception is maybe Sakura Trick (which did like... OK) and the Yuri yuri series, which is surprisingly pretty tame on the yuri.

Even Utena which had a cult following after it was released wasn't well received as it was airing. Same with Yuri Kuma Arashi.

I'm not saying shoujou ai shouldn't exist, btw. I'm saying take baby steps. If anime creators see that their yuribait shows are getting any traction they're more likely to take it a step further.

Lemon said:

Yeah but this OP is specifically about pure yuri shows not yuri bait.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Sep 6, 2016 2:39 AM

Aug 2015
Stick to manga, anime has nothing to offer in that department.
Sep 6, 2016 2:42 AM

Nov 2012
Yuri romance anime is forever dead. It's either yuri manga and doujinshi or move out of otaku media to watch lesbian films.
Sep 6, 2016 2:46 AM

Sep 2009
Yeah, they're not just rare, but a lot of the ones they do make aren't actual romances (yuru yuri), or are simply bland (sakura trick). Even shounen ai is treated better than this...
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 6, 2016 2:51 AM
Sep 2013
lady_freyja said:

What I meant is: studios adapt manga that they think will sell relatively well.

Thus they choose manga that have a minimal fan-base and are similar to other successful anime. K-ON is a moe blob, moe blob are popular in anime format, so they might pick relatively less well known moe blob manga.

Yes that is what I wanted to say.Half of adaptations are adapted from anime-friendly minor manga(moe,harem,BL-ish that selling less than 30k) rather than popular manga(100k+ sales).
Sep 6, 2016 3:10 AM

Mar 2016
We need lesser about those trashes.
Sep 6, 2016 5:19 AM

Jun 2015
you dont have to bother reading.

watch/

hentai.

there are a lot of vanilla yuri hentais
Sep 6, 2016 7:05 AM

Feb 2015
BatoKusanagi said:

_Ako_ said:

Say that to me when you have al least completed it all or watched most of it... Any other than that, I'll shitpost
Sep 6, 2016 7:26 AM

Feb 2013
I agree. I mean, even if i enjoy my yuri bait shows sometimes i wanna watch the true deal T-T

I guess ill have to comoform with the fanfiction for now.

Sep 6, 2016 7:29 AM

May 2015
Better just stay with manga,This will never Happen.If it does that just means anime industry is at its end.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2016 8:14 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
_Ako_ said:

Say that to me when you have al least completed it all or watched most of it... Any other than that, I'll shitpost

Is 30 out of 52 good enough for you? Still, 52 is not much at all. I mean, someone looking for something like Aoi Hana wouldn't be looking for long.
Sep 6, 2016 8:14 AM
Jul 2018
_Ako_ said:
BatoKusanagi said:

Considering that out of those "52" anime there is:
— 6 sequel seasons (meaning that if you don't like the 1st season, you won't watch the sequels)
— 13 "specials" or others OVA, usually very short (such as 5 min long like the Marimite ones) and/or with only 1 or 2 episodes (the typical 13th un-aired episode), for completing the series.
— 5 "series" between 1 to 3 episodes.
— 1 canceled another iteration of Rose of Versailles

It leaves 27 full-fledged series.

A huge number, sure thing.
Sep 6, 2016 8:53 AM

Feb 2015
lady_freyja said:
_Ako_ said:

Considering that out of those "52" anime there is:
— 6 sequel seasons (meaning that if you don't like the 1st season, you won't watch the sequels)
— 13 "specials" or others OVA, usually very short (such as 5 min long like the Marimite ones) and/or with only 1 or 2 episodes (the typical 13th un-aired episode), for completing the series.
— 5 "series" between 1 to 3 episodes.
— 1 canceled another iteration of Rose of Versailles

It leaves 27 full-fledged series.

A huge number, sure thing.

Define "many" or ask Google-sama
Now... I don't care what you think about it. If you haven't watched most of it, your shit... You're complaining about something you have not experienced or seen yet...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Since anime fans today are weaklings and easily triggered, if Berserk were to be adapted properly today, do you think it would receive many complains?

Rinrinka - Yesterday

25 by Zarutaku »»
58 seconds ago

» name a non-anime you think is better than 80% of anime ( 1 2 3 )

Kenzolo-folk - Yesterday

110 by Kenzolo-folk »»
2 minutes ago

» What device(s) do you watch anime content on?

DesuMaiden - 2 hours ago

16 by Noboru »»
3 minutes ago

» Any fake anime you wish were real?

Spunkert - 3 hours ago

12 by tmoverbeck »»
11 minutes ago

» What would one do for the waifu?

SgtBateMan - 5 hours ago

19 by notPara »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.