Forum Settings
Forums

Good Anime-Bad Animation|Bad Anime - Good Animation

New
Aug 24, 2016 6:48 PM
Jul 2014
Any else see some good anime that doesn't have that good of a animation to it, while there are bad animes with a good animation quality.
As in good anime I don't mean mainstream anime that has both good animation and story
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 24, 2016 6:51 PM
Jul 2014
Kotonoha no Niwa has the best animation I have seen in a anime, but the story if it wasn't that good, a kid who likes making shoes falling in love with a teacher who is 15 years older then him
Aug 24, 2016 6:53 PM

Sep 2015
First thing that comes to mind when thinking good anime but bad animation is Welcome to the NHK. Especially in Ep 4, that looked awful the entire time.
Aug 24, 2016 7:00 PM

May 2015
Good anime, bad animation...Uhh...Dated animation? I dunno. It's hard for me to see what bad animation actually is since it's not too heavy of a factor for me. Any anime with badly rendered 3D CGI implemented I guess...Maybe Arpeggio of Blue Steel, but the animation wasn't that bad IMO...

But bad anime with good animation? Aren't there like a whole bunch of those?
Aug 24, 2016 7:00 PM
Jul 2014
Kill La Kill, I hear the story is good, but I didn't like the animation of it, that why I couldn't get into it
Aug 24, 2016 7:01 PM
Jul 2014
I don't mind dated animation, Princess Mononoke, Trigun, Hokuto no Ken, Yu Yu Hakasho etc.
Aug 24, 2016 7:04 PM

May 2016
I dropped Kabaneri at ep7 and only watch half of Attack on Titan and is on hold for about a year if that counts.
Aug 24, 2016 7:08 PM
Jul 2014
Lol, Kabameri animation wasn't to bad, but it couldve been better, as for the story I liked it, and I wish I could go back to attack on titan but noooo... have to wait till next year to watch s2
Aug 24, 2016 7:09 PM
Jul 2014
Sorry I failed at typing lol, currently watching strike the blood bec I am out of anime, you should check out my list
Aug 24, 2016 7:12 PM
Jul 2014
Who here likes Gintama?
I have a question for whoever does,
Why is it rated so high, I don't even find it remotely funny...
I gave it a try and watched 10 episodes, but the comedy of it was so bad
Aug 24, 2016 7:12 PM

Apr 2016
Turn A Gundam is a nice Gundam show with a likable cast and a good plot, but mostly horribly dated animation that was dated even for its time with a few moments they actually go on per with its era.

Haruhi Second Season has some stellar animation and visuals by Kyoto Animation, but the Endless 8 is frustratingly boring, and the Sign arc does irrrprible damage to the integrity of both Haruhi (the character) and Haruhi (the show due to the arc's gaping plot holes).
Aug 24, 2016 7:13 PM

Mar 2014
K has incredible animation but not much else, Berserk has pretty bad, or perhaps dated would be a better term, animation. I second NHK.
Aug 24, 2016 7:14 PM

Jan 2008
Sword Art Online. Despite all the hate it gets, the animation is probably one of the best A-1 has done for a TV series.
Aug 24, 2016 8:20 PM

Oct 2014
Glasslip is a horrible anime with great anime and Inferno Cop is a good anime with horrible animation. Inferno Cop is much better than Glasslip.
Aug 24, 2016 8:35 PM

Jul 2014
I enjoyed Grimgar Fantasy and Ash but it had some terrible animation. Like one scene the characters were walking and it looked like paper cutouts bobbing up and down. lmao
Aug 24, 2016 8:39 PM

Jan 2008
mattao313 said:
I enjoyed Grimgar Fantasy and Ash but it had some terrible animation. Like one scene the characters were walking and it looked like paper cutouts bobbing up and down. lmao

Sounds like what A-1, who did Grimgar, also did for season 1 of Magi.
Aug 24, 2016 8:43 PM

May 2016
One of my favorite anime of all time, Fantastic Children, is an example of a stunningly-great series with terrible artwork. The art does get a noticeable bump up during the 4-episode-long flashback sequence (and how!), but the rest of the time, the character designs look really derpy. Which is a shame, because it has easily one of the best (if not THE best) storylines in all of anime.
Xion_ShieldZz said:
Kotonoha no Niwa has the best animation I have seen in a anime, but the story if it wasn't that good, a kid who likes making shoes falling in love with a teacher who is 15 years older then him

You badmouthing Garden of Words, son? Because if you are, we're gonna have some words. >:U

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Aug 24, 2016 8:45 PM

Feb 2014
Good anime bad animation: KareKano. It was fine during the first few episodes, but after a while it literally turned into a slideshow. Sasuga Gainax.
Bad anime with good animation: Probably Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis.
Aug 24, 2016 8:47 PM

Jul 2014
Paul said:
mattao313 said:

lol. Yup it looked just like that only it happen much more often than in Magi.
Aug 24, 2016 8:48 PM

Jul 2016
Good anime with bad animation? First thing that came to my mind was Horimiya lol

Aug 24, 2016 8:49 PM

May 2016
mattao313 said:
Paul said:

lol. Yup it looked just like that only it happen much more often than in Magi.

Man, Kare Kano did this 17 years ago, but at least Gainax had the excuse of having about a buck fiddy to finish the episode with.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Aug 24, 2016 9:03 PM

Feb 2014
takenMalUsername said:
I dropped Kabaneri at ep7 and only watch half of Attack on Titan and is on hold for about a year if that counts.

The fight scenes and the Vertical Maneuvering sequences were the only times when the animation was any good in Attack on Titan. The rest of the times, it tried to cut corners as much as possible, with several still frames and slideshows.
Aug 24, 2016 11:03 PM

Dec 2015
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni is one of my favorite anime but the animation is horrible.

I remember Charlotte having decent animation. Too bad the story was garbage.
Aug 24, 2016 11:06 PM

Feb 2014
I guess you can tell where the studio spent their budget when a show like guilty crown is stunning in animation and music, but the dialogue and plot are complete garbage (I love guilty crown though xD).
The same goes for anime like Angel beats or SAO.
Aug 24, 2016 11:13 PM

Jun 2013
Idiots_on_MAL said:
I guess you can tell where the studio spent their budget when a show like guilty crown is stunning in animation and music, but the dialogue and plot are complete garbage (I love guilty crown though xD).

^ I feel you on this so much, especially about Guilty Crown. Gorgeous art and animation, spectacular sound track, engrossing at times, but really just a lot of face-palming, lol.
Aug 24, 2016 11:21 PM
Jul 2014
surprised I got this many comments on a simple thought lol
Aug 24, 2016 11:22 PM
Jul 2014
Well, Ima hop off for the night guys, got college in the morning, and its pictured ay, gotta get some sleep
Aug 25, 2016 12:57 AM

Nov 2009
Idiots_on_MAL said:

Based on my understanding of the usual anime-making process, money on plot and dialogue has to be spent while making the manga/light novel. It cannot be taken from animation budget, because until manga/LN happens, there would be no anime.
Light novels seem like the author has more time to come up with good plot and dialogue, but light novels are harder to translate to anime, because of different way time flows there.
Manga has it really tough - the authors have to write dialogue and draw all those pictures weekly or monthly, and anime depicts them (the manga authors) always facing deadlines, not working ahead of time. Fortunately, manga is easy to translate to anime (looks at Kareshi to Kanojo no Jijou, which looks too much like a manga).
Anyway, capitalist nature of modern writing seems to push the authors away from doing research, good planning or other ways to make their work better.

Vhailor said:
Bad anime with good animation: Probably Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis.

I don't think Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis is notably bad. It's an excellent action/adventure anime, with fast pacing and epicness that put many slower anime to shame. They did save the world in 12 episodes, unlike all those anime that had to make an anime-original ending because the story in the end was pretty much in the same place as in the beginning.
flannanAug 25, 2016 1:02 AM
Aug 25, 2016 1:29 AM

Jul 2015
good anime with bad animation : dont know , code geass have bad art but the animation is great

Bad anime with good animation: Every kyoto animation work
Aug 25, 2016 1:45 AM
Feb 2016
No game no life - Bad animation but a great anime
Aug 25, 2016 2:00 AM

Mar 2016
Good with bad = One Piece
Bad with good = Sword Art Online

Aug 25, 2016 2:01 AM

Mar 2016
tragedydesu said:
good anime with bad animation : dont know , code geass have bad art but the animation is great

Bad anime with good animation: Every kyoto animation work
And A-1. Dont forget them. (12345678)

Aug 25, 2016 2:21 AM
Dec 2015
That's because good Anime are old Anime. New Anime are all shit ;))
Aug 25, 2016 2:21 AM

Apr 2016
Good animation - bad anime:
Kimi no Todoke S2
SAO
Kabaneri
Overlord
Musaigen no Phantom World... There are actually a lot of bad animu with good animation lol

Bad animation - Good anime:
Hajime no Ippo S1, Didn't really have bad animation but I wouldn't really consider it good either except one scene.
KonoSuba - it's just eh animation-wise (though I do think it fits the show well)
Oregairu S1 (I think the animation was bad... or was it the art? well whateves lol)

Xion_ShieldZz said:
Who here likes Gintama?
I have a question for whoever does,
Why is it rated so high, I don't even find it remotely funny...
I gave it a try and watched 10 episodes, but the comedy of it was so bad
I personally don't agree with Gintama's high rating, Most Gintama fans tend to think that it's a masterpiece and does everything right, Sadly that's not true and comedy is the only thing it's good at, and the comedy is fantastic. But everything else of Gintama's is mediocre to bad. Anywayz, as for why you don't find it funny, welp. Comedy and enjoyment are the most subjective things ever, If you don't find it funny then you probably never will. Even if it is funny, it's just not for you. Though I also didn't find it funny till like episode 40 and it bored me to death before it. (Yes, I'm a masochist and a completionist when it comes to animu) But it's currently one of my favs.
Aug 25, 2016 2:22 AM

Mar 2016
Kaizoku1 said:
B-B-BUT DRAGON BALL IS THE EST ANIME OF ALL TIME AND THATS TSILL EARING!!!

Aug 25, 2016 2:29 AM
Dec 2015
RottedRabbit said:
Kaizoku1 said:

Dbz was kinda cool. Super sucks tho. I never said that all old Anime are good , btw.
Aug 25, 2016 2:38 AM

Mar 2016
Kaizoku1 said:
RottedRabbit said:

Dbz was kinda cool. Super sucks tho. I never said that all old Anime are good , btw.
I like DB original. Z ruined it for me

Aug 25, 2016 2:43 AM
Dec 2015
RottedRabbit said:
Kaizoku1 said:

I don't get the hate for dbz. Sure it isn't as good as people say but hell , the action was fucking amazing. It did lack a solid plot tho but dbz has never been about the story. Imo dbs :5 and dbz :7. Never watched db
Aug 25, 2016 2:46 AM

Mar 2016
Kaizoku1 said:
RottedRabbit said:

I don't get the hate for dbz. Sure it isn't as good as people say but hell , the action was fucking amazing. It did lack a solid plot tho but dbz has never been about the story. Imo dbs :5 and dbz :7. Never watched db
An anime cant be good solely from fights. Look at SAO FFS. Then again they even got that wrong in sao...

Aug 25, 2016 2:47 AM

Sep 2015
Xion_ShieldZz said:

Will second this. If not for the stunning art there's not much of a reason to watch Kotonoha no Niwa, IMO. It just gets completely carried by the art.

The same can be said for Redline. The story is laughably bad, with stupid aspects thrown in just because - but none of that matters because you're just focused on the God-tier animation side of it. It doesn't matter about the shoehorned 'romance' or the random mafia that shows up halfway through the race, because they just end up as more fuel for the eyegasms when explosions and other shit happens.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Aug 25, 2016 3:01 AM
Dec 2015
RottedRabbit said:
Kaizoku1 said:

An anime cant be good solely from fights. Look at SAO FFS. Then again they even got that wrong in sao...
RottedRabbit said:
Kaizoku1 said:

That sao troll lel. While there weren't many things in dbz that u would like , there weren't many thing u would hate either. Sao was just pure trash even the characters weren't likeable. The fights and music were amazing. I also liked how toriyama built a story in each arc. By that I mean the different events , battles , and deaths leading to some epic final fights this was something that toriyama did perfectly in all three sagas. He dragged each arc on and on but it was very well done.
Aug 25, 2016 3:01 AM

May 2015
Berserk has bad animation(not visuals) but it's a pretty fantastic show.

There is a lot of bad shows that have good visuals. Could list anyone of them, but I'm saying ERASED cause fuck ERASED forwards and backwards.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Aug 25, 2016 3:50 AM

Feb 2016
good anime, bad animation: rokka no yuusha
dat fight scene tho.... really makes me cringe

bad anime, good animation: some of new PA works anime, i guess
Aug 25, 2016 3:59 AM

Nov 2014
I think Fate stay night UBW is the perfect example of bad anime with good animation, most Kyoani shows also fit.

As far as good anime with bad animation goes, I'd go with Tonkatsu DJ.
TounioukAug 25, 2016 4:05 AM
Aug 25, 2016 7:47 AM
Sep 2015
- Welcome to the NHK!. Good story with bad animation.
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Fine story with godly awful underbudget animation.
Still waiting for Half-Life 3...
Aug 25, 2016 7:50 AM

Mar 2016
Most of them are good. Kuuchuu Buranko is good, Aku no Hana, Kemonozume, Ping Pong... I don't think they're bad, while others would because they aren't used to watching anime with "off" animation and are quick to judge solely on the animation style rather than the plot itself. Once you immerse yourself in the world of bad animation, you'll find you like it. 9/10 anime with modern animation I watch are not exceptionally great or anything, most of them being boring as crap.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Aug 25, 2016 7:55 AM
Feb 2016
If you're just talking about animation, then Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu is inconsistent, though the art and aesthetic itself is quite lovely.
Aug 25, 2016 8:23 AM
Jul 2014
I cant wait Kimi no Na wa. - http://myanimelist.net/anime/32281
Comes out tomorrow
Aug 25, 2016 10:48 AM

Jun 2009
Bad Anime with Good Animation:

Corpse Party - I know people like this anime but I didn't. I thought it was nicely animated but everything else sucked to me.

Demon of Steel: Battle of the Great Demon Beasts - Another old OVA with great visuals and shitty writing.

Doomed Megalopolis - Mad House can make the biggest piece of shit look great.

Legend of Lemnear - This anime has very pretty visuals and great detail for a title that came out in the 1987. Too bad this anime sucks.

Good anime with Bad Animation:

Inferno Cop - Not sure if this one counts or not. The show looks like a animated show from Adult Swim but the show itself is awesome.

Legends of the Dark King - The animation didn't look that great in 2008 but I thought it was a good show.
Aug 25, 2016 11:01 AM

May 2016
Hellspawn28 said:

Good anime with Bad Animation:
Inferno Cop - Not sure if this one counts or not. The show looks like a animated show from Adult Swim but the show itself is awesome.

Well Inferno Cop is one of the few shows that walks the thin line of pure trash and ingenius masterpiece. Trigger ethier save/ruin anime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 37 seconds ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
37 seconds ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

54 by AndoCommando »»
53 seconds ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 8 hours ago

15 by Old_School_Akira »»
3 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 1 hour ago

6 by Old_School_Akira »»
4 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 14 minutes ago

4 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.