Forum Settings
Forums

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided review embargo lifted. It's......pretty good so far.

New
Aug 19, 2016 7:20 AM

Oct 2014
So far, the scores are something like this:

CGMagazine -10.0 / 10.0
GameWatcher -9.5 / 10.0
IGN -9.2 / 10.0
USgamer - 4.5/5
GBAtemp - 9.0 / 10.0
GamesRadar+ - 4.5/5
God is a Geek - 9.0 / 10.0
IBTimes UK - 4.5/5
Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5/5
PlayStation Universe - 9.0 / 10.0
High-Def Digest - 4.5/5
Cheat Code Central - 4.5 / 5.0
PlayStation LifeStyle - 9.0 / 10.0
TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10
GameCrate - 8.8 / 10.0
Xbox Achievements - 88%
PC Gamer - 88 / 100
GamingTrend - 85 / 100
Polygon - 8.5 / 10.0
Destructoid - 8.0 / 10.0
Telegraph - 4/5
PC Invasion - 8 / 10
The Digital Fix - 8.0 / 10.0
Forbes - 8.0 / 10.0
GameSpot - 8 / 10
Giant Bomb - 4/5
We Got This Covered - 3.5/5
Push Square - 7 / 10
Game Informer - 7.0 / 10.0
VideoGamer - 7 / 10
PCGamesN - 7 / 10
COGconnected - 65 / 100
Paste Magazine - 6.0 / 10.0
Hardcore Gamer - 3.0 / 5.0
TrustedReviews - 60 / 100

The consensus seems to be Deus EX: Mankind Divided has awesome gameplay and despite having only one hub this time, which is the city of Prague, it is very detailed and is way more lifely. PC Gamer says it makes Detroit and Hengsha in Human Revolution look cardboard-y.

The bad news is that even the more positive reviews said that the story is surprisingly "poor" for the franchise. Apparently, it loses steam midway through the game and the writing is inconsistent. Also, the ending is said to be abrupt and unsatisfactory. I didn't want to hear that but sigh.............that's probably why there's so many 6s.

I'm still not backing out of my preorder obviously. The reviews are more good than bad and I believe I would still enjoy the game myself.

Aug 19, 2016 8:01 AM

Jun 2013
I'm gonna wait for the release and gameplay before I buy it.
Aug 19, 2016 8:09 AM

Jul 2007
As long as it does not have racist-stereotype NPCs this time, I will most likely buy this sometime this year.
Aug 19, 2016 3:06 PM
Jul 2018
Fai said:
As long as it does not have racist-stereotype NPCs this time, I will most likely buy this sometime this year.

Well sheeeeyt, if it ain't the cap'n himself!
Aug 20, 2016 8:59 AM

Aug 2014
Yeah gonna wait till it goes down to £30 by Christmas hopefully.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Aug 20, 2016 9:50 AM

Jun 2011
Season pass means wait for the goty edition.
Aug 20, 2016 10:14 AM

Jan 2013
Will it still have those off-putting and unnecessarily flashy "stealth" takedowns like in Human Revolution?

Punching your enemy while he screams in pain should not count as a """""silent""""" takedown.
Aug 22, 2016 10:19 AM

Jul 2016
Don't need to see any reviews to tell me this would be a good game. Even if it was an exact copy of the first one I'd buy it.
Aug 22, 2016 1:35 PM

Mar 2016
As i stated i bought it on saturday, and I started playing the first mission today . Aside of the cringey arabic accent and language, it was alright as a first impression. Kinda stingy with the battery too.
Aug 24, 2016 3:10 AM

Jul 2007
Friendly Warning: The PC version is an absolute mess apparently and runs like shit, as well as crashes a lot.

Unless you want to mess with inifiles and various unofficial fixing methods, just wait for hopefully a patch.
Aug 24, 2016 3:33 AM

Mar 2016
Fai said:
Friendly Warning: The PC version is an absolute mess apparently and runs like shit, as well as crashes a lot.

Unless you want to mess with inifiles and various unofficial fixing methods, just wait for hopefully a patch.

Lol then that's the reason it has a 6 on steam . It's running good on ps4, but is it me or adam's voice is fuckin low ?
Aug 24, 2016 3:35 AM

Jul 2007
DragonSlayer_19 said:
Fai said:

Lol then that's the reason it has a 6 on steam .

Its worse than HR was on launch. And that was quite a mess on launch too.

DE:MD on other hand crashes almost every few minutes(some people can't even finish the tutorial), fails to hold a stable framerate, stuttering, texture bugs, freezes upon even newer video cards, etc. You need to mess with options(half the options are broken btw) downgrading half the shit and then with ini files to even make game playable. Also horribly bad mouse acceleration making it unplayable. FOV is poorly implemented too.
AhenshihaelAug 24, 2016 3:40 AM
Aug 24, 2016 3:37 AM
Sep 2015
Fai said:

*Sigh* Of course it is, isn't it always? (:|
Anyhow, from the gameplay video I've seen a while ago, the HUD and inventory is too consoley for my liking and the gameplay itself while being praised it's nothing innovative from the last game imo (come on, they even kept most takedowns, not to mention the whole 'lemme fade to black and play the cutscene everytime you perform a takedown' move) and add to the fact that the pc port is shit and the story is meh I'll most likely not buy this game.
Aug 24, 2016 3:46 AM

Jul 2007
The worst part from what I have read is the completely awful and clueless tries to add "references" to current society problems.

Mind you Deus Ex was never subtle game, but it feels halfbaked here, especially the utterly nonsensical shit like parodying #BlackLivesMatter AND associating the said parody with basically a violent terrorist cell, in turn damaging the reputation of the ACTUAL movement in real life. It seems the nuDeusEx can't escape adding problematic shit.
Aug 24, 2016 4:26 AM

Jul 2009
Nothing will ever top the groundbreaking first entry by Ion Storm, but this is one of the only long-running franchise today that remains consistently good imo (yes, even the hated Invisible War), so I'm probably gonna get this soon enough.

Also I never considered the extra humanitarian issues as a bad thing. If anything, they add more flavor to the game's surreal setting.

I've been reading how the story took a hit since you spend the first 20 hours or so on the same main questline. Not to mention there's only one city hub (correct me if I'm wrong). These are probably my only worries.
SkittlesAug 24, 2016 4:29 AM
Aug 24, 2016 5:12 AM

Jul 2007
CheekyKunt said:

Also I never considered the extra humanitarian issues as a bad thing. If anything, they add more flavor to the game's surreal setting.

The issue is association.

AugLivesMatter phrase is associated with a very violent movement in Deus Ex Universe against discrimination caused by the aug minorities murdering millions of people(while under mind control and etc but still).

In turn that creates expectations of violence when the people who play such games hear term BlackLivesMatter, which is entirelly pacifistic movement against very realistic and unprovoked police brutality.
Its no different if someone created game paralleling American Civil War and went "hey man you don't know which side was right in that war! Slave Owners were people too!"

If you draw parallels do it correctly. As an example the whole "Mechanical Apartheid" thing fits well enough without too many problems.
Aug 24, 2016 5:52 AM

Sep 2012
Man, it's 2016 the year of disappointments? All I'm hearing about is complaining and backslash about a lot of hyped up releases from this year (PC releases are buggy, cut content, day 1 DLC from the start...).

The only game I've somehow heard unanimous praise is Dark Souls 3 (and even that is apparently too linear for replayability and not as good as Dark Souls 1/Bloodborne).
Aug 24, 2016 8:15 AM

Jul 2007
SH4kun said:
Man, it's 2016 the year of disappointments? All I'm hearing about is complaining and backslash about a lot of hyped up releases from this year (PC releases are buggy, cut content, day 1 DLC from the start...).

The only game I've somehow heard unanimous praise is Dark Souls 3 (and even that is apparently too linear for replayability and not as good as Dark Souls 1/Bloodborne).

Last year was the year of disappointments. Fallout 4 and Arkham Knight speak for themselves.

This year had The Witness, Doom, XCOM 2, Fire Emblem Fates, Western version of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pillars of Eternity expansion, Superhot, etc. VERY good year.

Of course yeah this year also has lots of disappointing shit - Deus Ex is Broken mess, Mirror's Edge sequel was nothing like Mirror's Edge, Titanfall 2 lost everything that made Titanfall good, and Final Fantasy 15 trainwreck is still coming up.
AhenshihaelAug 24, 2016 8:21 AM
Aug 25, 2016 3:30 PM
Jul 2018
CheekyKunt said:

I've been reading how the story took a hit since you spend the first 20 hours or so on the same main questline. Not to mention there's only one city hub (correct me if I'm wrong). These are probably my only worries.

The only hub is Prague but it's a huge hub, bigger than Detroit and Hengsha combined and much more open. Prague is also incredibly life-like and full of details, I've spent 5-6 hours on it so far without even starting the main missions.
Aug 25, 2016 3:39 PM

Jun 2011
Fai said:
Of course yeah this year also has lots of disappointing shit - Deus Ex is Broken mess, Mirror's Edge sequel was nothing like Mirror's Edge, Titanfall 2 lost everything that made Titanfall good, and Final Fantasy 15 trainwreck is still coming up.

Don't forget No Man's Sky. :^)
Aug 25, 2016 5:55 PM

Sep 2007
Haven't run into any problems so far, and this is on an old 7850 too.
Aug 25, 2016 6:50 PM

Oct 2014
The poor reviews by gamers on Steam is mostly because they are outraged with the poor Day-One performance/optimization and the microtransactions and to be fair, I can't blame them. Took me an hour to get the game running and I never wanted to see my favorite franchise associated with MTs.

However, when you take those problems away, Mankind Divided is fantastic. Yes, the story is the "weakest" in the series. Yes, there's only Prague. But everything else is SPOT ON. The gameplay is amazing and the atmosphere fits. So, if any of you are still considering, I recommend that you should get Mankind Divided. Unless you wanna play on the PC, maybe you should wait a bit until the performance issues ironed out.
Aug 25, 2016 9:57 PM

Jul 2007
Khaosman-ADVENT said:
The poor reviews by gamers on Steam is mostly because they are outraged with the poor Day-One performance/optimization and the microtransactions and to be fair, I can't blame them. Took me an hour to get the game running and I never wanted to see my favorite franchise associated with MTs.

However, when you take those problems away, Mankind Divided is fantastic. Yes, the story is the "weakest" in the series. Yes, there's only Prague. But everything else is SPOT ON. The gameplay is amazing and the atmosphere fits. So, if any of you are still considering, I recommend that you should get Mankind Divided. Unless you wanna play on the PC, maybe you should wait a bit until the performance issues ironed out.

Tldr: "Game is good guys! Except it is broken, you need to spend years to set up it correctly, Story is boring and full of problematic stuff and the scope is more limited!"

Riiight. Im just going to replay HR or original deus ex till this mess gets patched.

Narmy said:
Fai said:

Don't forget No Man's Sky. :^)

Yes a good game. Won't add to the list because it did have its fair share of toxic haters :^)
At least there's one good game to play while Deus ex is a mess :^)
Aug 25, 2016 11:25 PM

Jul 2009
policemanking said:
The only hub is Prague but it's a huge hub, bigger than Detroit and Hengsha combined and much more open. Prague is also incredibly life-like and full of details, I've spent 5-6 hours on it so far without even starting the main missions.

Cool, that sounds awesome actually.

Fai said:
This year had The Witness, Doom, XCOM 2, Fire Emblem Fates, Western version of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pillars of Eternity expansion, Superhot, etc. VERY good year.

This is kinda off topic but what'd you think about this game? I loved the first one so much that I bothered to obtain the platinum, but I heard this one was a mess so I haven't bought it yet. Something about the entire game being on a timer?

SkittlesAug 25, 2016 11:30 PM
Aug 25, 2016 11:33 PM

Jul 2007
CheekyKunt said:
Fai said:

This is kinda off topic but what'd you think about this game? I loved the first one so much that I bothered to obtain the platinum, but I heard this one was a mess so I haven't bought it yet. Something about the entire game being on a timer?

The game was a bit poorly optimized. IDK they might have fixed that.
Otherwise its a major improvement over the first.

And Yes there are times, two kinds of them actually.
First one is the world map timer - you are working against the clock trying to figure out the alien plans and stop their scheme. Basically certain story missions you can do reduce their progress, certain things THEY do increase their progress, which makes aliens an active thread. Its essentially a war of attrition in you doing missions to rise your own independence timer and decrease theirs. So sometimes you have to chose - will you do somethng that leads you closer to freedom, yet at the cost of Aliens not being stopped in advancing their project, or will you forfeit your advancement to stop theirs.

Second one is mission turn timer. While some people despised it, I think its great - it means people are forced to play out more active strategies instead of camping out in same spot to get all the aliens. Its natural progress of the timers in Enemy Within.

Both add tension, contribute to the whole "guerilla warfare" feeling of the story and force the player out of comfort zone. Its all good.
AhenshihaelAug 25, 2016 11:43 PM
Aug 26, 2016 4:26 AM

Oct 2014
Fai said:

Tldr: "Game is good guys! Except it is broken, you need to spend years to set up it correctly, Story is boring and full of problematic stuff and the scope is more limited!"

Riiight. Im just going to replay HR or original deus ex till this mess gets patched.

I AM serious about Mankind Divided being overall a good game though. To think that it would ever match up to the original however, is wishful thinking. Even The Witcher 3 can't beat Deus Ex.

CheekyKunt said:

You mean, you haven't played XCOM 2 yet? Disgusting!!! There's aliens to kill and Earth to save, you know. And if you prefer to play it on consoles, it's coming out on PS4 and Xbox One by the end of September.
Aug 26, 2016 4:42 AM

Jul 2009
Khaosman-ADVENT said:
CheekyKunt said:

You mean, you haven't played XCOM 2 yet? Disgusting!!! There's aliens to kill and Earth to save, you know. And if you prefer to play it on consoles, it's coming out on PS4 and Xbox One by the end of September.

Cool beans man will probably get it when I got time to spare
Aug 26, 2016 6:37 AM

Aug 2014
The real question I have is is the conspiracy radio dude in mankind divided?

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Aug 26, 2016 10:21 AM
Jul 2018
I loved the first game, but i'm having a hard time justifying buying this game at full price. I can't support the way they introduced microtransactions and how they are available on DAY 1.
For 60$ you should be getting a complete experience. When I bought the Witcher 3, I got FREE DLC and was only charged for actual expansion packs.

I'll buy the game used and not put any money directly into the publishers pockets. Don't want to contribute to scummy practices like that.
Aug 26, 2016 2:03 PM

Jun 2016
This may be elitist, but the way I see it the only Deus Ex game to be a truly great game is the first one. So many memorable quotes and one-liners. I just finished the vanilla campaign and ZODIAC on realistic and now I'm playing Nihilium and 2027. I remember the good old days of Stargate maps in multiplayer back when Gamespy was still around.
Aug 26, 2016 4:27 PM

Jul 2015
@Lost_Viking The first Deus Ex was one of the last FPS made for PC, before the industry started to churn out multi-platform games made for the lowest standards (a.k.a the lowest perfomance console of the market and worst controller of the market). You can't expect games made for controllers with god damn sticks to even try to do what Deus Ex did.

Tho I agree that it's a shame.

More topics from this board

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 5 hours ago

0 by johnsrp »»
5 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
7 hours ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
10 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
11 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.