Forum Settings
Forums

How come the Japanese film industry doesn't pander to the Chinese market?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 1, 2016 10:35 AM

Sep 2015
mdo7 said:
Kuro_Negati said:
OP: Don't believe everything you read. Just because a product isn't shipped to China doesn't mean it's dying, and if it were dying, shipping to China wouldn't necessarily fix everything. Marketing isn't about forcing yourself on the biggest group, but rather expanding your base group.

What evidence do you have? How could you explain Hollywood pandering to China when the US film market is #1 and China is #2. Also a lot of filmmakers over the world are taking the Chinese market seriously.

What evidence do I have that {a=c, b=d} does not mean {a=b, c=d} ? Basic logic.

mdo7 said:
I'm already aware of this and I have studied the history of Taiwan and China relationship.

So it doesn't explain this: If US anger China so much (like over the South China Sea, THADD deployment in South Korea), then why didn't Mainland China ban Hollywood film already?

If China can ban Japanese films because of World War 2 past and the Senkaku Island tension, then why didn't they do the same to Hollywood films over the Taiwan issues, the South China Sea, and THADD deployment?

Now you see the problem why Japan is not pandering to China despite US/Hollywood doing this when China and US have tension.

A little thing in modern politics called keeping appearances.

Besides, even outside of the political spectrum, the sub-capitalist economy of Nippon and the neo-Communist economy of China hold completely different working methods, ethics, and incentives, so cross-collaborative work would be nearly impossible. Do you know how expensive it is the market to another country without inside help? It would cost tens of billions of yen annually, so the margin in the end would likely remain under 15% or so, the majority of which would go right into worker compensation and future investment.

The cost to ship one 45ft deep barge load of electronic and entertainment goods from Minato, Nippon to Hong Kong (the most likely loading and unloading points) by sea (the cheapest method available) is around 18,000 - 20,000 Yen per ton per shipment over the cost of the goods, assuming they used a small private intermediary service and didn't insure their product against loss. For 50,000,000 units of product (not that much, really), that adds up to around 400 - 450 tons, resulting in millions of yen spent by the company just to move their product. After organization, licensing, distribution, advertising, it comes out to around 450,000,000,000 Yen for barely a quarter's worth of goods. If the products sell 40% at an average of 30,000 Yen, the gross cap is around 600,000,000,000 Yen. A mere 25% potential net before extraneous costs are even mentioned. And keep in mind, unlike raw materials, electronics and entertainment goods require upkeep, secured storage, quality control, shipments can be damaged during transport, anything could happen.
Kuro_NegatiNov 1, 2016 10:59 AM
"A pig that can't fly through spacetime is just a prematurely ejaculating, wet dreaming virgin."
Nov 1, 2016 11:13 AM

Jan 2010
Kuro_Negati said:

Because I have a lot of knowledge in foreign affairs and Asian culture. I've also been observing how China treat Japan, US, South Korea, and India. I'll say this, the way Japan treat US, India, and South Korea when it comes to tension with China's policies is not consistent with how they treat Japan.

You're going to need something more then just "basic logic" in order for me to take you seriously.

Kuro_Negati said:
mdo7 said:
I'm already aware of this and I have studied the history of Taiwan and China relationship.

So it doesn't explain this: If US anger China so much (like over the South China Sea, THADD deployment in South Korea), then why didn't Mainland China ban Hollywood film already?

If China can ban Japanese films because of World War 2 past and the Senkaku Island tension, then why didn't they do the same to Hollywood films over the Taiwan issues, the South China Sea, and THADD deployment?

Now you see the problem why Japan is not pandering to China despite US/Hollywood doing this when China and US have tension.

Besides, even outside of the political spectrum, the sub-capitalist economy of Nippon and the neo-Communist economy of China hold completely different working methods, ethics, and incentives, so cross-collaborative work would be nearly impossible. Do you know how expensive it is the market to another country without inside help? It would cost tens of billions of yen annually, so the margin in the end would likely remain under 15% or so, the majority of which would go right into worker compensation and future investment.

Why do you keep refering Japan as "Nippon"? Japan and South Korea's are similar yet South Korea are able to target the Chinese market successfully when Japan can't.

When you say it's too expensive to market into China, what do you mean by that? South Korea, and USA doesn't seem to have any problem spending millions to market their pop culture in Mainland China? Why is that a problem for Japan when South Korea is able to do this?

Kuro_Negati said:
The cost to ship one 45ft deep barge load of electronic and entertainment goods from Minato, Nippon to Hong Kong (the most likely loading and unloading points) by sea (the cheapest method available) is around 18,000 - 20,000 Yen per ton per shipment over the cost of the goods, assuming they used a small private intermediary service and didn't insure their product against loss. For 50,000,000 units of product (not that much, really), that adds up to around 400 - 450 tons, resulting in millions of yen spent by the company just to move their product. After organization, licensing, distribution, advertising, it comes out to around 450,000,000,000 Yen for barely a quarter's worth of goods. If the products sell 40% at an average of 30,000 Yen, the gross cap is around 600,000,000,000 Yen. A mere 25% potential net before extraneous costs are even mentioned. And keep in mind, unlike raw materials, electronics and entertainment goods require upkeep, secured storage, quality control, shipments can be damaged during transport, anything could happen.

OK where did you get this data from? Please provide links or an article that back up your facts. What does this have to do with Japan not pandering to China when Hollywood, South Korea are able to take the Chinese market seriously.

I can also argue the same thing for South Korea, and yet they're doing well in China.
mdo7Nov 1, 2016 11:18 AM
Nov 1, 2016 1:09 PM

Sep 2015
mdo7 said:
Kuro_Negati said:

Because I have a lot of knowledge in foreign affairs and Asian culture. I've also been observing how China treat Japan, US, South Korea, and India. I'll say this, the way Japan treat US, India, and South Korea when it comes to tension with China's policies is not consistent with how they treat Japan.

You're going to need something more then just "basic logic" in order for me to take you seriously.

Kuro_Negati said:

Why do you keep refering Japan as "Nippon"? Japan and South Korea's are similar yet South Korea are able to target the Chinese market successfully when Japan can't.

When you say it's too expensive to market into China, what do you mean by that? South Korea, and USA doesn't seem to have any problem spending millions to market their pop culture in Mainland China? Why is that a problem for Japan when South Korea is able to do this?

Kuro_Negati said:

OK where did you get this data from? Please provide links or an article that back up your facts. What does this have to do with Japan not pandering to China when Hollywood, South Korea are able to take the Chinese market seriously.

I can also argue the same thing for South Korea, and yet they're doing well in China.

You keep mentioning South Korea, who are only a few hundred kilometers from the Chinese border. Of course it's easier for them to ship to China; they're practically bordering. The US can ship to China because "Hollywood", as you say, is much more consolidated industry. "Hollywood" is mainly distributed by three companies, so each of these companies has a very large pool of available capital, thus they have the capabilities to fund a long term project like building a marketing presence in China. As for where I got that pricing information, it's called arithmetic. A quick Google search can find the average cost of low-end private shipping companies and the standard international rate. Including projections for extraneous costs is just basic business model. I refer to "Japan" as "Nippon" because "Japan" is Nippon. The word "Japan" is of Chinese origin, and just means "land to the east" (literal: "land toward dawn"), while Nippon is the actual given name of the country in its own language.
"A pig that can't fly through spacetime is just a prematurely ejaculating, wet dreaming virgin."
Nov 1, 2016 1:38 PM

Jan 2010
Kuro_Negati said:

You keep mentioning South Korea, who are only a few hundred kilometers from the Chinese border. Of course it's easier for them to ship to China; they're practically bordering. The US can ship to China because "Hollywood", as you say, is much more consolidated industry. "Hollywood" is mainly distributed by three companies, so each of these companies has a very large pool of available capital, thus they have the capabilities to fund a long term project like building a marketing presence in China. As for where I got that pricing information, it's called arithmetic. A quick Google search can find the average cost of low-end private shipping companies and the standard international rate. Including projections for extraneous costs is just basic business model. I refer to "Japan" as "Nippon" because "Japan" is Nippon. The word "Japan" is of Chinese origin, and just means "land to the east" (literal: "land toward dawn"), while Nippon is the actual given name of the country in its own language.

You still need to back up your statement with facts, I always back up my statement with facts. If you can't, then I can't take you seriously. It would help if you include links that back up your statements you stated on your post. I do question your knowledge on whatever you stated.

There are film industry in other part of the world that take the Chinese market seriously. You don't fully answer the question about Japan?

Why didn't Japan pander to China when Hollywood, South Korea, Bollywood, and other film industry are taking the Chinese market seriously?

I mean China has tension with South Korea and US and yet they didn't ban Hollywood films nor Korean pop culture at all.

Why don't you just refer Japan as Japan and not Nippon, not a lot of anime fans may not know what that is. You don't see me calling South Korea "Daehan Min-guk" like the way you called Japan Nippon.
mdo7Nov 1, 2016 1:50 PM
Nov 1, 2016 8:49 PM

Sep 2015
mdo7 said:

You still need to back up your statement with facts, I always back up my statement with facts. If you can't, then I can't take you seriously. It would help if you include links that back up your statements you stated on your post. I do question your knowledge on whatever you stated.

There are film industry in other part of the world that take the Chinese market seriously. You don't fully answer the question about Japan?

Why didn't Japan pander to China when Hollywood, South Korea, Bollywood, and other film industry are taking the Chinese market seriously?

I mean China has tension with South Korea and US and yet they didn't ban Hollywood films nor Korean pop culture at all.

Why don't you just refer Japan as Japan and not Nippon, not a lot of anime fans may not know what that is. You don't see me calling South Korea "Daehan Min-guk" like the way you called Japan Nippon.

So my own arithmetic calculation needs a source... I am the source.

Nippon doesn't pander to China (outside of political reasons) because, unlike the US film industry, the anime industry is splintered into hundreds of studios, no single one of which can afford to spontaneously push into a new market. For the same reason, most anime aren't available outside of a select few countries; distribution and marketing are expensive.

This has nothing to do with "bans". This is a matter of distribution and licensing.

South Korea is called "South Korea" rather than its given name because that's its official English name. "Japan" is neither English nor given. Also, it's rather petty to drag word-choice into this.

If you want facts and studies, here you go:

http://worldfreightrates.com/freight
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-07
http://aminoapps.com/page/anime/7956075/comparing-industry-costs
http://goboiano.com/original/3607-here%2527s-how-money-is-actually-made-in-anime (scroll down to international licensing)
http://www.readyratios.com/reference/accounting/distribution_cost.html
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/japanese-anime-making-money-807789
http://facweb.cs.depaul.edu/noriko/JapanTrip08/JETRO-market_info_anime.pdf
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/10/why-is-advertising-way-up-in-china-with-consumer-spending-way-down/263810/
http://digitalfox.media/funimation-vs-aniplex-anime-licensing-works/
https://cargofromchina.com/sea-freight/
http://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1123&context=njilb
http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/management/Ex-Gov/Exporting-and-Importing.html

By the way, I could just as easily ask where you got your facts. How do you prove anime would do well if marketing were focused on China? How do you prove "Hollywood" is making a substantial profit in China? Don't ask for my sources and not give your own... (and I don't mean those social news links in the OP, I mean legitimate projectional data, profit margins, cost-expense lists)
Kuro_NegatiNov 1, 2016 8:58 PM
Nov 1, 2016 9:15 PM

Jan 2010
Kuro_Negati said:

By the way, I could just as easily ask where you got your facts. How do you prove anime would do well if marketing were focused on China? How do you prove "Hollywood" is making a substantial profit in China? Don't ask for my sources and not give your own... (and I don't mean those social news links in the OP, I mean legitimate projectional data, profit margins, cost-expense lists)

Well the topic is about live-action film, not anime. But I guess I can answer your questions:

How do you prove anime would do well if marketing were focused on China?

Well that's the problem, I never seen Nippon releasing a government white paper about anime/manga overseas unlike how South Korea does it for their pop culture content:

Source: Korea Times

I never seen Japan doing this:

That's right, South Korea actually take their international fanbases seriously compared to Japan. I have never seen Japan doing a survey on how many or how big the international anime fanbases are. As a matter fact after I saw what South Korea, that make me question if anime's international fanbases is not as big.

How do you prove "Hollywood" is making a substantial profit in China?

You never bother to read this:

Jackie Chan: 'Warcraft' Success in China "Scares the Americans"

I don't see the Hollywood's Chinese pandering dying down, they're still continuing even to this day. If the Japanese film industry wanted to get more money, then the Chinese market could be their lifeline. I don't understand why they're not pandering to China when other film industry are doing this. Japan is #4 and China is #2, so it would make sense to pander to the Chinese market.

and I don't mean those social news links in the OP, I mean legitimate projectional data, profit margins, cost-expense lists

What's wrong with my sources, I used credible sources and I checked them carefully before I posted them up. What you don't trust the media or something.
Nov 2, 2016 8:14 AM

Sep 2015
mdo7 said:
Kuro_Negati said:

Well the topic is about live-action film, not anime. But I guess I can answer your questions:

How do you prove anime would do well if marketing were focused on China?

Well that's the problem, I never seen Nippon releasing a government white paper about anime/manga overseas unlike how South Korea does it for their pop culture content:

I never seen Japan doing this:

That's right, South Korea actually take their international fanbases seriously compared to Japan. I have never seen Japan doing a survey on how many or how big the international anime fanbases are. As a matter fact after I saw what South Korea, that make me question if anime's international fanbases is not as big.

How do you prove "Hollywood" is making a substantial profit in China?

You never bother to read this:

Jackie Chan: 'Warcraft' Success in China "Scares the Americans"

I don't see the Hollywood's Chinese pandering dying down, they're still continuing even to this day. If the Japanese film industry wanted to get more money, then the Chinese market could be their lifeline. I don't understand why they're not pandering to China when other film industry are doing this. Japan is #4 and China is #2, so it would make sense to pander to the Chinese market.

and I don't mean those social news links in the OP, I mean legitimate projectional data, profit margins, cost-expense lists

What's wrong with my sources, I used credible sources and I checked them carefully before I posted them up. What you don't trust the media or something.

Social news is biased and opinion-centric.

The Jackie Chan article shows [i]decent[/b] growth, but a lot of conjecture. it's one of the more informative articles I've seen on the topic, though, I'll give you that.

The Chinese market being larger does'n't mean it's a necessary route. For JLA movies, the market is very niche, consisting mostly of domestic audience. While China may have interest and opportunity for LA film, that doesn't translate to consumer spending. Basically, for it to be profitable for Nippon to target a Chinese market, they need assurance that Chinese would choose JLA films over US films when it comes time to buy. For example, put a hardcore niche sci-fi film and a general audience comedy film in front of the average person and they're more likely to choose the comedy film. The same generally applies to JLA films.
Nov 2, 2016 9:17 AM

Jan 2010
Kuro_Negati said:

The Chinese market being larger does'n't mean it's a necessary route. For JLA movies, the market is very niche, consisting mostly of domestic audience. While China may have interest and opportunity for LA film, that doesn't translate to consumer spending. Basically, for it to be profitable for Nippon to target a Chinese market, they need assurance that Chinese would choose JLA films over US films when it comes time to buy. For example, put a hardcore niche sci-fi film and a general audience comedy film in front of the average person and they're more likely to choose the comedy film. The same generally applies to JLA films.

Regarding Japanese live-action films. They don't take the international market seriously compared to their Korean films. I always wondered why most of the mainstream commercial Japanese films including one based on lesser well-known anime/manga don't get international releases. I mean it's hard to find trailers for these mainstream commercial Japanese films on Youtube.

If Japanese films industry want to take the Chinese market seriously, I would recommend famous Chinese stars in their films. As of now, I don't see any Japanese film putting this guy (who is very famous in China) in any Japanese films. I mean Hollywood is putting Chinese actors that are well-known to American audiences in Hollywood films, why doesn't the Japanese industry do the same?

Well regarding Hollywood films that does well in China:

Source: Vanity Fair

Although what you say about the Chinese marker could be true, South Korea is another market for Hollywood they're pandering to also. And yet that seem to be doing better given that South Korea movie market is the 6th largest market unlike China which is #2. And yet I'm seeing sign that the South Korean market is becoming more lucrative for Hollywood:

S. Korea big 'potential market' for Hollywood

Hollywood studios' foray into Korean market to stir up 'catfish effect'

Variety-Fox International Productions Seeks Increase in Korean Movie Making (2nd source: Hollywood Reporter)

Hollywood Reporter-Warner Bros. to Increase Local Film Production in South Korea (2nd source: Variety)

South Korea Box Office: Warner Bros. Local Production 'The Age of Shadows' Dominates

I'm not making this up. Several high-profile Hollywood films have done better in South Korea then in China, were you aware of this:

South Korea Box Office: 'Interstellar' Stays on Top, Becomes Year's No. 3 Film

Scalpers Appear as 'Interstellar' Becomes Phenomenon in South Korea

Wall Street Journal: ‘Interstellar’ Inspires Koreans To Study Space Science

South Korea Box Office: 'Martian' Dominates for Second Consecutive Week

'The Martian' dominates Korean box office

South Korea Box Office: 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Reigns Over Long Weekend

South Korean Box Office: 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Tops for Third Straight Week

‘Kingsman: The Secret Service’ finds explosive popularity in South Korea

South Korea: Kingsman movie 'boosts dapper suit sales'

Firth for fashion: Kingsman boosts South Korea's double-breasted suit sales

I mean yeah South Korea's audiences and movie goers seem to have a different taste (that would depend, I can't say with 100% estimation why this Hollywood films become a hit in South Korea and not in China) from Chinese audiences.
Mar 31, 2017 9:21 AM

Jan 2010
There are growing evidence that Hollywood has now started to pander to South Korea, have a look at this report:

South Korea's market is not even on the same level as Mainland China yet Hollywood is now treating South Korea's movie market like it's the "new China".
Jul 27, 2017 7:28 AM

Jan 2010
Also, I think it's going to be harder for Hollywood and other foreign films to pander to the Chinese market because of these:

Chinese Cinemas Ordered to Give Heavy Play to State Propaganda Film

China Opens Movie Theater on Politically Contested South China Sea Island

Also slightly off topic but it looks like China's Dalian Wanda Picture seem to be facing some issues for their US market:

Wanda's Hollywood Future in Question Amid Chinese Government Intrigue

AMC Tries to Steer Clear of Chinese Owner’s Debt Worries

Seesawing Fate of Legendary Reflects the Film Industry’s Volatility

So the Chinese market could end up being deemed "un-marketable" for foreign films.
Jul 31, 2017 8:54 PM
May 2016
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Because it's hard to understand the audience of a country you don't live in.

Because China is big on censoring media that doesn't fit their government's narrative.

Because Chinese are known for pirating and bootlegging media.

Because a lot of Chinese hate Japan.

Because the laws regarding entertainment and copyright there are a mess.

Because the Japanese want to focus on the safer more reliable home market.

Because modern Japanese movies suck and making an absolute shitshow go international is only going to be a waste of resources.

I think this pretty much sums up what some people are probably thinking, me included.
Aug 7, 2017 4:50 PM

Jan 2010
ShyGuyDY said:

I think this pretty much sums up what some people are probably thinking, me included.

I understand, but it's no excuse for Japan to take advantage of the Japanese market. But as of now, I don't think it's possible due to this:

Chinese Cinemas Ordered to Give Heavy Play to State Propaganda Film

China Opens Movie Theater on Politically Contested South China Sea Island

It looks like Hollywood-China cooperation is going to be short-lived judging from this:

Wanda's Hollywood Future in Question Amid Chinese Government Intrigue

Hollywood-China Relationship Faces More Pressure as Chuck Schumer Calls on Trump to Block All Deals
Oct 26, 2017 7:09 AM

Jan 2010
OK, just woke up and saw this article from Variety, it looks like this is good news for both China and Japan:

Variety: Japan-China Co-Production Treaty at Advanced Stage

Let's hope the Senkaku Island conflict doesn't cause another "shutdown" in this co-production deal/agreement.

EDIT: Looks like this article from the Hollywood Reporter has also reported on this deal and share the same concern I assess.
mdo7Oct 27, 2017 12:46 PM
Apr 17, 2018 9:37 AM

Jan 2018
I am from Serbia and the topics you've made like reminds me you are an simply pain and permesstic view towards Korea and China doing better than Japan is.

As you may know, i know that there has been a lot of Chinese movies coming to Serbia in these days, it also includes Hong Kong martial arts films as well.

How come so, its because Serbia has a long good relationship with China over diplomatic ties, cultural exchanges, etc. Serbia also has some Chinese residents residing in Serbia too, they sell products from the Chinese stores as well.

And one more thing, my father has been really confused over Chinese he watches that are showing on TV, he things that they we're Japanese films, but he cannnot understand langauges differneces because he was born and raised watching Akira Kurosawa and other Japanese classic films as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_people_in_Serbia

And Japan's relationship with China is far beyond this: https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/articles/20518/from-immigration-to-security-why-china-is-the-key-to-understanding-japanese-policymaking

I still wish if The Pokemon companies broadcast Pokemon anime in Serbia through, because they never dub nor they are interested in it. Serbia loves Digimon even more.

(sorry for my poor English)
Apr 19, 2018 8:35 AM

Jan 2010
hotsushikun said:
I am from Serbia and the topics you've made like reminds me you are an simply pain and permesstic view towards Korea and China doing better than Japan is.

Have you never pondered why Japan's film industry never pander to China when Hollywood, Bollywood, South Korea, and the rest of Europe take the Chinese market seriously?

If you can think and answer me that question, then why do you bother trolling me like that.
Apr 19, 2018 8:43 AM

Jan 2018
mdo7 said:
hotsushikun said:

Have you never pondered why Japan's film industry never pander to China when Hollywood, Bollywood, South Korea, and the rest of Europe take the Chinese market seriously?

If you can think and answer me that question, then why do you bother trolling me like that.

I am just making this kind of sense, but i know how you feel you wanted for Japan to be an global exporter nation like how other countires are, but you your efforts aren't proved to be successful at all, so i have nothing to do with it.

And i do not care about Japan not exporting their films because it sucks, my father once loved Akira Kurosawa's films, most notably Seven Samurai, and he even has them on pirated Divx style through USB.

(sorry for my poor English)
Sep 5, 2020 10:46 AM

Jan 2010
I wondered if Japan will start pandering to China given this article:

Will China Box Office Surpass North America This Year?
Sep 25, 2020 5:37 PM
Dec 2017
think i may have answerewd on this thread before but i believe i recall saying that they mainly focus on domestic market instead of worldwide in general. Thats why they no appeal to Chinese market besides history of tensions as well.

Oct 6, 2020 9:36 AM

Jan 2010
Crow_Black said:
think i may have answerewd on this thread before but i believe i recall saying that they mainly focus on domestic market instead of worldwide in general. Thats why they no appeal to Chinese market besides history of tensions as well.

Regarding the bold part, so what?? US and China has a lot of tension too, but it didn't stop Hollywood from pandering to China, if US can still pander to China despite tension, then Japan should've been able to pander to China despite history of tension.

How could you explain that?
Oct 12, 2020 9:42 AM

Oct 2019
The Chinese government blocks a shit ton of anime in their country. I don’t know why, sucks for them, they’re missing out
Oct 13, 2020 7:42 PM

Feb 2015
As far as I'm concerned, they don't give a shit.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7582 by Maumuu »»
5 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3383 by 3miL »»
6 hours ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4817 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
11 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

2 by Pengawas »»
Today, 6:00 AM

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
Yesterday, 12:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.