Forum Settings
Forums

What makes a good female leading character?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 8, 2016 10:20 AM

Jan 2014
Mal logic: strong af -> well written female lead.
Aug 8, 2016 10:56 PM

Oct 2009
A lot of people say that a good female lead should be one that doesn't exhibit feminine traits, or one that doesn't flaunt her sexuality.

I really think this is wrong.

I mean obviously there are many ways to get a female protag right, and I don't want to be reductive here, but this is a harmful misconception imo.

If you remove all feminine identity from a female character, you are reducing her to a "woman with a dick" protag. Additionally, this mindset presupposes that "masculine" traits are inherently more desirable for a protagonist over feminine traits.

You can have a compelling female protagonist even if she's sexy, flirty, motherly, or whatever. The ISSUE that countless stories face is how they have the character function is the story.

To this end, I would almost say that the character's function in the story is more important to her "quality" than the actual traits that comprise her.

If you have a female character who dresses sexily for the sake of fanservice or fap material, that's bad. If you have a female character who dresses sexily because she wants to and the show doesn't tout her as a sex object for male consumption, that's fine.

If you have a female character who is motherly and exists solely to fit in as a surrogate mother for a male character, that's bad. If you have a female character who is motherly that doesn't exist to service a male character, that's fine.

The placement and function of the female character is just as important as what qualities you assign to her.
Aug 8, 2016 10:58 PM

Oct 2009
KingKatsura said:
One who grows stronger as the story progresses and can be independent while still embracing femininity. Great example is Yona, who is weak and dependent on others at the start, but she acknowledges this as a weakness and uses it as a basis for becoming a stronger person. Counter-example is Yona ripoff Shirayuki, who is extremely naive and dependent on others to constantly save her, but never acknowledges her naivety, and then continues to be saved like a damsel in distress while the story innaccurately frames her as a strong and independent female lead.

TheBrainintheJar said:
AlisLandale said:
I always go by the rule "Don't write female characters, write people."
This goes for any group, whether it be women, racial minorities, gay people, trans people, etc. As long as they're people first and foremost, and they're written well, I'll probably like them.
Three of my favorite female characters are Marika from Mouretsu Pirates, Rin from RideBack, and Sinon from Starship Operators, and I like them because they're believably written and have strong motivations.
I guess when you boil it down, I like realistically written characters, no matter the gender. :P

If you're dealing with minorities, especially with groups like LGBT's you will need to address that part of them. Don't just make someone gay. Being gay means having an integral aspect of life different than everyone else. That said, being gay is only a part of someone's identity.

^ this, it's just as important for her to embrace femininity imo, unless there's a compelling reason to strip her of those qualities
Aug 9, 2016 6:44 AM
Apr 2016
I personally find that a good female character has to have that special charm or quirk. The character must capture its viewers by tieing in things people could relate to. If you're going to have a good female lead character she must have a unique personality. The main problem I find is holding that personality when say a second season comes out or 3rd.. Sometimes even certain episodes, they just seem to get off course and it just kinda loses it's appeal a little. Ya know what I mean? :/
Aug 10, 2016 1:33 AM

Nov 2009
DaBackpack said:
A lot of people say that a good female lead should be one that doesn't exhibit feminine traits, or one that doesn't flaunt her sexuality.

I really think this is wrong.

I mean obviously there are many ways to get a female protag right, and I don't want to be reductive here, but this is a harmful misconception imo.

Well said.
1) Feminism is not just that it's okay for women to do stereotypically manly things. It's okay for women to do stereotypically womanly things too. But they should have a choice in this matter.
2) Not discarding femininity completely makes a character a lot more believable. After all, that's the way real women live.
Aug 10, 2016 1:42 AM

Sep 2009
A strong, (black) independent (sassy) woman, who don't take no shit from nobody.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Aug 10, 2016 2:00 AM
Feb 2013
I personally like female leads who are not extremely nice. I prefer characters who are not 100% kind hearted and perfect.

I also prefer a female lead that does not exist to become the male lead's love interest.
Aug 10, 2016 2:59 AM

Apr 2016
What makes a good female leading character? The same things that make a good male leading character.
Aug 10, 2016 4:38 AM

Mar 2014
I'm gonna say most of the girls in Claymore except for Clare. They're strong, all had decent personalities and for the most part didn't depend on a guy/romance.
Aug 10, 2016 4:39 AM

Dec 2010
Whatever makes a good male lead character, really.
Aug 10, 2016 4:52 AM

Aug 2015
gedata said:
1: Being a good character to begin with
2: Being female

so being female is secondary??????
Aug 10, 2016 4:54 AM
Aug 2016
Badassery, likeability and Sexiness
Aug 10, 2016 7:21 AM
Nov 2015
A girl with wisdom & knowledge. Know the personalities of the team. Compassionate & can take hard decision to the sake of the team. Big boobs are too bad for a female leader because it make it hard to take her seriously.

CapitalistGod said:
Sometimes being the heart or soul of the series is enough.... That's why Lucy Heartfilia of Fairy Tail is my favorite lead female.

NO COMMENT !
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - Today

34 by RobertBobert »»
8 minutes ago

» What are your thought on Ecchi anime?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

35 by MadanielFL »»
21 minutes ago

» What is the biggest problem in the world of anime in your opinion?

castle2001 - Yesterday

49 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
22 minutes ago

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 4

82 by district_marvel »»
23 minutes ago

» Do you take screenshots of Anime

ST63LTH - Yesterday

45 by district_marvel »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.