Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2016 8:19 PM

Aug 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm not one to harp on animation to much, its just not the top of my priorities when judging an anime, but I must admit for a movie, a feature film the animation was pretty lame. Thinking back the animation is probably less spectacular then your run of the mill OVA, heck even a TV special. Superficial things aside this film didn't really feel very movie-esque, the plot just felt like it lacked an epic nature needed for a feature length film.
May 11, 2017 5:12 PM
Apr 2015
I saw this a long while back with my family, English subbed only. It was OK, but the ending was confusing, the plot was, "eh", and I didn't learn much about anything of the characters and such, nor the whole Flower Troop thing, as unfortunately the movie does not explain the concept of Sakura Wars to the viewers, and I never played the games. My sister and I jokingly called Maria "Haruka-san" because she looks so similar to Haruka/Sailor Uranus from Sailor Moon (the R movie from that franchise does a better job of introducing viewers to Sailor Moon, especially with the "Make Up" special before it) XD

I do disagree with the previous comment regarding the animation though, I thought it was excellent and definitely one of the best animated anime movies I've ever seen, even the CGI still looks pretty impressive to me, better than CGI I've seen in other anime, which tends to have low frame rates. Unfortunately, animation doesn't make an anime.

The one good thing I can take out of this franchise is fortunately it has made me interested in the Sakura Wars franchise even if the movie was subpar, which is at least better compared to the piece of shit Digimon: the Movie (US version), I knew nothing about that franchise too, and that one was so bad it turned me off to Digimon even more.
May 18, 2019 8:41 AM

Oct 2016
is this anywhere online or should i purchase the BD?
May 24, 2020 9:42 AM

Nov 2008
Well that was a load of crap, the story i mean. Not only the villain was your run-of-the-mill evil-for-the-sake-of-being-evil empty shell without any trace of personality that appears out of nowhere, the newly introduced character (Ratchett) was like that as well. Either i'm a retard and did not understand her deep complex inner conflict or the movie did a piss poor job introducing and developing her. And i've got a hunch that it was in fact the latter.

The one good thing i can say about this movie is that train launch sequence, that part was glorious and also provided detailed explanation on how exactly delivering the Flower Division to the battlefield works- something that wasn't really established in games of previous anime works up until now. Though it's hard to justify the amount of time they spent on that sequence when in the second part the movie becomes quite abrupt introducing development after development without any proper build-up. First the battle in which Leni and Orihime gets injured is left off-screen in it's entirety, presenting us only a 3x3 grid of cockpits for a mere 25 seconds that i believed to be a simulation training until Kaede explained what actually happened in a following scene. Then, in a very quick turn of events, the Flower division gets basically disbanded and Maria decides to infiltrate the Jekyll factory.

Speaking of Maria, i believe the first OVA established that Flower Division members could at least channel their powers into their weapons, as shown with Sumire using such technique to defeat a demon that attacked her at night and Sakura literally firing an energy projectile from her sword. So when it was said that Maria needs a special bullet to fire energy-charged shots, it really confused me.

As for the final battle, now that i think about it, that could have been a good opportunity for the Ratchett's development- finally forming a connection with the rest of the Division and defeating the big bad together.But nah, who needs that when we can have our self-insert MC-kun Ogami's appearance save the day in such an obvious and expected way, it deserves the spot in a vocabulary under a definition of the word 'cliche'. It was simply lame that they couldn't do anything without him.

In the end, there is at least some enjoyment to be found in a few unusual character interactions and a bit of environmental world-building, from my point of view as a person exploring the series, but the main plot makes this movie a chore to watch.

PrecureHunter said:
is this anywhere online or should i purchase the BD?

It's on a goddamn nyaa, it doesn't get easier than this to find.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Jul 6, 2020 1:07 PM

Jul 2015
Animation of this movie is pretty good considering the year it released, story felt kinda lacking as perhaps this was more geared towards people who have already played the games.

We never got to know what drove the enemy guy (whose name I forgot) and what the deal was between Reni and Lachette. Even though it is cool to see Ohgami back, I kinda wish he didn't return as he didn't do that much. Quite liked the theatre scene where Sakura taught Lachette forgiveness

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.