Forum Settings
Forums
New
Would you like an official Discord server to be added to MAL?
Yes
87.4%
No
5.4%
Neither. I do not think it will change anything.
7.2%
597 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 27, 2017 6:38 AM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
RS said:
What I meant by that, is that the admin can set up discord in a way that suits them.

Bots are nice for automation... We don't really use it for moderation on our server. I guess our peeps behave :P

Bots can be personalized with great detail, especially if made by scratch. They are extremely easy to develop on your own, simple JavaScript.
Removing features rather than adding features to quell the potential issues would be lame.
May 9, 2017 11:03 AM

Aug 2015
*le bump*

Are there any news regarding the creation of a MAL Discord? Has the MAL staff discussed this? Is there a chance we'll see this happen? :D
I believe it's about time we get a solid answer.
May 9, 2017 11:27 AM

Jun 2010
It is enough with the forum.
May 9, 2017 11:32 AM

Feb 2015
Drackx said:

Other prefer to shitpost in Discord... :/

As I am aware, creating a Discord server isn't that hard, the problems that might arise would be the mods/people who are willing to oversee the shit in that discord channel.

So yeah, I'd agree that the forums are enough... Clubs are also here so yeah... More than enough I would say...

Kreateer said:

Are there any news regarding the creation of a MAL Discord? Has the MAL staff discussed this? Is there a chance we'll see this happen? :D
I believe it's about time we get a solid answer.

Well, probably still in its way to the higher ups.. :/
May 9, 2017 11:42 AM

Jun 2010
_Ako_ said:
Drackx said:

As I am aware, creating a Discord server isn't that hard, the problems that might arise would be the mods/people who are willing to oversee the shit in that discord channel.

So yeah, I'd agree that the forums are enough... Clubs are also here so yeah... More than enough I would say...

Do you want to create a discord to speak instead of writing?
The bad thing about that is that when there are hundreds of people talking on the same channel.
or maybe they think taking turns to talk?
May 9, 2017 11:46 AM

Feb 2015
Drackx said:
_Ako_ said:

The bad thing about that is that when there are hundreds of people talking on the same channel.

I've never used Discord VC, and never will even though it is one of its perks. I still intend to use it for typing. Ehhh... I dunno, but I'm sure MAL Discord VC wouldn't be that bad.
May 9, 2017 12:13 PM

Jun 2010
_Ako_ said:
Drackx said:

I've never used Discord VC, and never will even though it is one of its perks. I still intend to use it for typing. Ehhh... I dunno, but I'm sure MAL Discord VC wouldn't be that bad.

Well, if it's for typing then I do not see the point of creating a discord.
Anyway. Good luck!!
May 9, 2017 1:03 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
If it's any help at putting into perspective how easily moderatable the chat is in a large Discord, I'm in 3 servers that have 5,000-10,000 members online at once. There's minimal effort required by the moderators besides advertisers who report the person aforementioned via DM'ing a moderator.

Discord bots are handy, require little to no effort. Easily coded, easily managed, easily executed via specified channels and designated roles; e.g Music Bot(s), Moderator Bot(s), Anti-Raid/Spam Bot(s), Activity Bot(s), etc. Limitless options available to create efficiency.
May 10, 2017 1:20 PM

Sep 2012
Well we have one after the EE event. So yea.
May 22, 2017 2:26 AM

Aug 2015
Honestly, most of the replies I read here are positive and pro-discord. The votes also show this.
I do not see much that is left to discuss about this.
It is just the matter of staff deciding on whether they will create a Discord server, stuff it up with bots and such or stay with IRC and focus mainly on the forums as till now.
From everything people said so far, managing a Discord server for such a large community as MAL should not be a major problem and is definetely doable.

Hopefully this passes through MALs staff :D
May 22, 2017 4:27 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
Kreateer said:
Honestly, most of the replies I read here are positive and pro-discord. The votes also show this.
I do not see much that is left to discuss about this.
It is just the matter of staff deciding on whether they will create a Discord server, stuff it up with bots and such or stay with IRC and focus mainly on the forums as till now.
From everything people said so far, managing a Discord server for such a large community as MAL should not be a major problem and is definetely doable.

Hopefully this passes through MALs staff :D

Better to just leave it to staff to discuss, we had a proper reply from a member of the staff team and they stated clearly that they've brought up an official Discord being created before. So I'm sure it's among discussions for them. Keep praying.
May 22, 2017 6:18 PM

Sep 2011
MAL has had an official discord server for a while now—since the easter event: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1607004

It's just not "Advertised." Refer to the bottom of the opening post.
May 22, 2017 6:28 PM

Aug 2012
well the instant invite already expired so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But you'll still take damage!
May 22, 2017 8:51 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
Tyrel said:
MAL has had an official discord server for a while now—since the easter event: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1607004

It's not exactly official if it's pretty much private.
May 22, 2017 8:53 PM

Sep 2011
Ame said:
Tyrel said:

Didn't even know it was private. @Kineta What was the reason again?
May 22, 2017 8:59 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
Tyrel said:
Ame said:

It's more of a reward for participating in the Easter Event, therefore it's not MAL's "official" and "public" Discord server per say. Could be wrong but a majority of people didn't even know there was a Discord for the Easter Event. All the links I've gotten to it are expired/don't work. So I don't know if that would be considered "official".
May 22, 2017 9:02 PM

Sep 2011
Ame said:
Tyrel said:

It's more of a reward for participating in the Easter Event, therefore it's not MAL's "official" and "public" Discord server per say. Could be wrong but a majority of people didn't even know there was a Discord for the Easter Event. All the links I've gotten to it are expired/don't work. So I don't know if that would be considered "official".
Hosted by the MAL staff = Official. There's no other way of putting it lol. Despite it being private now, it's still the official server.
May 22, 2017 9:13 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
Tyrel said:
Ame said:

Hosted by the MAL staff = Official. There's no other way of putting it lol. Despite it being private now, it's still the official server.

I think the idea is having a public server hosted officially, anything else wouldn't serve the purpose of being called official if nobody is in it but a select few and nobody else is allowed to join. Right?
May 22, 2017 11:22 PM

Jun 2008
I understand not allowing random people in, but also MAL users? beats the purpose of it being called an "official server" (being exclusive, not inclusive), though that works if it's meant to be used as a staff server.

Given that, an unofficial one could be made (though not by some random person) and with proper advertising, it would fill up nicely with MAL users, as I know I would join it.
Baka-Tsuki discord server
May 23, 2017 12:36 AM

Aug 2012
It's not private, we just aren't advertising it as much as it should for now.

https://discord.gg/KTsQf6s
May 23, 2017 12:38 PM

Apr 2017
Discord is useless for a Forum in this dimensions.
For writing IRC is good enough, and voicechatting with 100s of people wouldn't work.
So I'm happy it stays IRC.

Discord has nice perks, yeah,
But IRC ist just an old good running system. And you know the rule: Never touch a running system!
Discord is pretty "new" in the history of internet and who knows how long it stays? I am using nothing except IRC, but I heared from many friends that they are using not discord but a similar app since some months now.
Discord will die again, it's only a question of time.
And thats where IRC is great: You can create your own IRC Server.
On Discord you get space on the official Servers... Thats why I hate Discord
We should fight for decentralization not against it.
May 24, 2017 3:49 AM

Feb 2010
so is it here yet?
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

May 24, 2017 7:19 AM

Oct 2014
Neo-X said:
For writing IRC is good enough, and voicechatting with 100s of people wouldn't work.

But IRC ist just an old good running system. And you know the rule: Never touch a running system!
Discord is pretty "new" in the history of internet and who knows how long it stays? I am using nothing except IRC, but I heared from many friends that they are using not discord but a similar app since some months now.
ALL HAIL THE SOOTHSAYER!
Cashdax said:
so is it here yet?
Just join the server that Julyan linked, I guess.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
May 24, 2017 9:48 AM

Jun 2008
julyan said:

Thanks 👍
Baka-Tsuki discord server
May 24, 2017 4:23 PM

Dec 2008
It's not private. It should get an announcement relatively soon. It's been a WIP since Easter Event which is why we didn't advertise it anywhere apart from there. We wanted to see if it would work, so ever since, we've just been modifying and tweaking stuff. You can join through the link Julyan posted though.

And it's 100% official in case people were doubting.
May 24, 2017 5:47 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
Neo-X said:

Discord never died, it's been gradually becoming extremely popular. It's the #1 outlet for people who play online games. It's outdoing Curse by a long shot and is a highly sought after platform growing fast. There's multiple limitations you can place per channel in your server, especially for voice channels which you may think to be easily abusable are actually quite restrictable. You can easily limit the number of participants and separate voice channels up.
julyan said:

sarroush said:
It's not private. It should get an announcement relatively soon. It's been a WIP since Easter Event which is why we didn't advertise it anywhere apart from there. We wanted to see if it would work, so ever since, we've just been modifying and tweaking stuff. You can join through the link Julyan posted though.

And it's 100% official in case people were doubting.

Yay good stuff.
May 24, 2017 6:01 PM

Jun 2014
Tyrel said:
Ame said:

Its interesting, but I assume when you say mal staff you mean people like Kineta?

I wonder how well its going to go over. MAL forum users tend to be pretty obnoxious and immature at times so I hope the discord isn't infested with negative interactions.
May 24, 2017 6:10 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
Kagami said:
Its interesting, but I assume when you say mal staff you mean people like Kineta?

I wonder how well its going to go over. MAL forum users tend to be pretty obnoxious and immature at times so I hope the discord isn't infested with negative interactions.

I don't mean to sound rude, but if you don't like a person's attitude/personality then you can simply block them. If you need the CSS code to remove blocked messages from continuing to pop up after blocking someone, here you go: (for Discord)

.theme-dark .friends-table .messages .message-group-blocked, .theme-dark .messages-wrapper .messages .message-group-blocked { 
display: none; 
}

There's no need to make scenes or take the bait when someone acts silly, you control yourself and who you interact with. Nobody is forcing you to interact with someone you dislike. :)
May 24, 2017 6:18 PM

Jun 2014
@Ame - I already know that. I'm a big boy and I can handle myself and wouldn't have any intention of making a scene. I'm just hoping the place is stable and doesn't get filled with trolls and annoying pests who bring negative vibes to the discord.

I'd like to also point out that its not me claiming I dislike anyone. Its more that this forum has a reputation and the mood isn't always positive and I can predict there being turmoil to some degree.
May 24, 2017 6:28 PM

Feb 2015
Kagami said:
Tyrel said:

It isn't that bad once you get into the chat. Pretty much empty or others are in VC... :/
May 24, 2017 6:34 PM

Jun 2014
@_Ako_ - Good to hear. I'll be on there later today and probably check it out. Maybe in a few hours or so.
May 24, 2017 7:38 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
Kagami said:
@Ame - I already know that. I'm a big boy and I can handle myself and wouldn't have any intention of making a scene. I'm just hoping the place is stable and doesn't get filled with trolls and annoying pests who bring negative vibes to the discord.

I'd like to also point out that its not me claiming I dislike anyone. Its more that this forum has a reputation and the mood isn't always positive and I can predict there being turmoil to some degree.

Unlikely to be filled with trolls, but there will always be trolls if you're using the internet. Should get used to it at this point. :/
May 24, 2017 7:42 PM

Jun 2014
Ame said:
Kagami said:

Unlikely to be filled with trolls, but there will always be trolls if you're using the internet. Should get used to it at this point. :/

I am.

Nevermind, you're missing the point I tried to convey.
May 24, 2017 7:46 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
Kagami said:
Ame said:

I am.

You seem to be 100% convinced that there will be trolls regardless of what others say, so I don't see a point in conveying to you that the server wouldn't have them littered around like garbage. If it's as bad as you think it's going to be, then just don't join it and avoid the unnecessary.
May 24, 2017 8:13 PM

Jun 2014
Ame said:
Kagami said:

I am.

You seem to be 100% convinced that there will be trolls regardless of what others say, so I don't see a point in conveying to you that the server wouldn't have them littered around like garbage. If it's as bad as you think it's going to be, then just don't join it and avoid the unnecessary.

I do?

I said one thing and that one thing is making you overreact and anyway, I was talking to Tyrel to begin with. I never even said it was going to be bad and clearly said it was interesting. If you're going to reply to me and then go onto say you don't see a point in conveying the facts to me, then just don't reply to me and chill out. Haha.

Not to mention I literally replied to Ako and said "good to hear" which means I am convinced trolls are not there. Lol?
May 25, 2017 12:51 AM

Aug 2015
@Kagami @Ame Do not worry, there are no trolls whatsoever in the Discord server. Everyone is fun to talk to and there is plenty of people online :)
May 25, 2017 2:52 AM

Jun 2014
Kreateer said:
@Kagami @Ame Do not worry, there are no trolls whatsoever in the Discord server. Everyone is fun to talk to and there is plenty of people online :)

Have already been there. It was fun!
Jul 27, 2017 9:21 AM

Aug 2015
I guess its a little late to say this, but yeah...

There is now an "official" MAL Discord server for everyone!

Thank you, MAL Staff, for listening to us! <3 <3

EDIT: Your Discord invite link on the website seems to be expired. The link in this post is working, however.
KreateerJul 27, 2017 9:27 AM
Jul 27, 2017 9:48 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
@Kreateer
I just tested the invite and it seems fine to me.
Jul 28, 2017 6:13 AM

Aug 2015
@Tensho
Weird o.O When I opened the link it stated the link was invalid or expired. Maybe it was a problem on my end?
Jul 28, 2017 6:59 AM

Oct 2014
Kreateer said:
@Tensho
Weird o.O When I opened the link it stated the link was invalid or expired. Maybe it was a problem on my end?
Did you click on this link: https://discord.gg/g443UVv ?
Jul 29, 2017 12:06 AM

Jan 2017
Yeah sure, why not?
Jul 29, 2017 3:28 AM

Oct 2014
DICKamaru said:
Yeah sure, why not?
Not sure, if you're messing or not. But this is an "accepted" suggestion and implemented as well. So what are you hinting at? Your approval?
Jul 29, 2017 4:07 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Please don't bump this anymore unless there's a problem (such as the invite link expiring or something). I'd like to leave this unlocked because there is no announcement thread for the feature.

edit: Please make your suggestions for the Discord server within the server itself.
TenshoMar 11, 2018 8:29 PM
Jul 29, 2017 8:46 AM

Jan 2017
Iizbakaokay said:
DICKamaru said:
Yeah sure, why not?
Not sure, if you're messing or not. But this is an "accepted" suggestion and implemented as well. So what are you hinting at? Your approval?

Yeah, my bad
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.