Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 19, 2010 11:24 AM

Sep 2009
I mean, surely the quality is increased.
But it also takes up a lot of space.

I don't have any media players or BitTorrent on this computer.

Is it worth it? :c
Also, if it is, any suggestions for media players etc?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.
I figured that since it's somewhat related to anime, it'd fit here best, but it's pretty easy to be wrong heh.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 19, 2010 12:27 PM

Aug 2009
Don't know about downloading, but Media Player Classic works best for me
Sig deleted for being too large.
Jan 19, 2010 12:32 PM

May 2009
In my opinion, yes it is. I really hate streaming because my own computer freezes or it take forever to fully load. It's too frustrating. So I DL. But what you could do is only keep the series you like and delete the episodes that you're done with. And also, I recommend the KMplayer. I use it and it plays pretty much all of my videos.
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/angelfire892&sclick=1">
Being sane is over rated :)
Jan 19, 2010 12:34 PM

Apr 2009
I dont think it is.... Im pressed for hard-drive space as it is.... I only stream.
Jan 19, 2010 12:47 PM

Dec 2007
It is. You can just watch and burn into a dvd or delete them after.

If your internet is well behaved just direct download. Or get a torrent client.

For media players, I like the MPC, get the CCCP pack. Used to have VCL (or VLC, what was its name again?) but it turned redundant.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jan 19, 2010 12:50 PM

Jan 2010
I think it's worth it financially. Not sure why space would be an issue considering HDDs are much, much cheaper than buying anime on DVD... unless you're on a Mac. (I am still amused by how much I had to take apart the computer just to upgrade my HDD.) Perhaps laptops in general could apply. Or perhaps you're not talking about buying but... something else? (Rent? TV?)

If comparing to TV, my experience has been that having the entire series at your fingertips will vastly improve your ability to enjoy them. A couple series a better when spaced out, but I find those to be few and in-between. Renting may be something of a compromise, but you may be at the whim of whatever company you're renting from. (Netflix? Blockbuster? Etc.)

That said, it's been years since I last attempted to download anything so my experience getting everything working would be limited. At a minimum, I believe that VLC should be able to play practically anything you throw at it, regardless of your OS. (Windows, Mac, Linux.) I believe they prefer to keep all of their own decoding information inside VLC itself so it's usable on all platforms, but do I recall something about Mac development coming to a halt because of lack of man-resources? In case of emergency, an old version can probably be picked up.

Windows Media Player may be fine if you've installed the codecs. I've seen people mention codec packs here before but don't know them, myself. However, I'm not sure if Microsoft has even bothered adding support for MKV and OGM... I also don't know if anime are commonly released in those formats, either. If you have to be the one to check, AVI files are good, and if for some reason you run into MPG or MPEG files, you're still good.

I've generally preferred lighter media players so I used Media Player Classic for a long time. It has the same deal with the codecs. (At least, I think...) On my Mac, I've used MPlayer OSX. On Linux (specifically Ubuntu), whatever opened simply worked, for the most part. (It automatically found and installed the codecs, I believe, but might have defaulted to incorrect aspect ratios on some videos.)

So, going back to the overall question, I guess I have to ask my own: "worth it compared to what?"

I'm sure some of the more experienced downloaders can give better details.
NadianJan 19, 2010 1:30 PM
Jan 19, 2010 1:04 PM

Oct 2007
Can you delete an episode after watching it?
Are 1TB (external) harddrives less than 100 dollars/euros nowadays?
Are CCCP and µtorrent free?

I don't get what's not worth it? All that eyecandy.
LikewiseJan 19, 2010 2:26 PM

My kingdom for a bottle of plum juice!
Jan 19, 2010 1:10 PM

Jan 2010
Yes it is.

Download uTorrent and VLC media player. That's my suggestion.
Jan 19, 2010 1:10 PM

Oct 2007
E: lolslowMAL
LikewiseJan 19, 2010 2:26 PM

My kingdom for a bottle of plum juice!
Jan 19, 2010 1:30 PM

Dec 2009
I use a external 320gb harddrive, ive downloaded a fair bit and my space on it hasnt even reached close to halfway.

Its worth it in terms of quality and accessibility, but if you dont have the space to download then just stream.

I would suggest VLC media player

Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/TeaAnyOne91

Jan 19, 2010 1:52 PM

Jan 2010
It takes up so much space and streaming is just better.
Jan 19, 2010 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
DL is well worth it. Even the 60mb rmvb files are better than streaming (which allows me 100 episodes a month on my 7.5GB limit) >.<

Just delete it straight after you've watched it to save hard drive space, and DDL is better in terms of security in my opinion :)
Jan 19, 2010 2:25 PM

Mar 2007
zfinleyx1 said:
streaming is just better.
lolno
You've come a long way, baby.
Jan 19, 2010 2:25 PM

Sep 2009
I tried VLC, but I found it REALLY increased the time on streaming sites.
I couldnt put up with it.

I have a laptop; 238 GB out of 286 GB left. (I honestly have no idea whats taking up all that space..)
Jan 19, 2010 2:40 PM

Jan 2010
lilla said:

I have a laptop; 238 GB out of 286 GB left. (I honestly have no idea whats taking up all that space..)

It's all the systemfiles and other reserved stuff that takes upp space.
Jan 19, 2010 2:42 PM

Dec 2009
I have no idea what happened to my first post...but I'll just make another one

Advantages of downloading includes:
-Better quality
-Unlimited access to your episodes
-Doesn't lag your connection when you are watching
-A copy for yourself, for whenever you want to watch it
-(Might not apply to everyone) Increased score on BitComet =D

Disadvantages:
-Space
-Risk of pissing off the person you share your connection with
-Lag
-Risk of increasing the amount of time your computer is open
-Most Importantly!-> Risk of wanting to download more
Jan 19, 2010 2:52 PM

Feb 2005
Really now, let's consider some of the facts...
m-boy said:

So there you have it.

The only question worth pondering might be whether or not BlueRay rips are worth it or not. It does get a bit ridiculous when a single movie like FFVII AC or the NGE Rebuilds take about 6GB.

In general though, I'd say it all depends on whether or not the visuals are a major aspect of the series. Many comedy series like Cromartie, School Rumble and SZS (if it wasn't for it's frequent artsyness) doesn't emphasize the visuals that much so you should be able to enjoy the series just fine with ordinary DVD rips, or even streaming if you really want.
But series the pride themselves with high quality art like GitS:SAC, Cowboy Bebop and most films would be simply ridiculous to watch in anything less than the best option, and especially if it's stuff like the NGE Rebuilds or KnK that is pretty much all about the graphics.
Jan 19, 2010 2:58 PM

Sep 2007
Honestly, I don't think that too much disc space could be a problem, unless you download Blu-ray rips with really high resolution. A HD quality mkv is somewhere between 200-300 MB, so it's really not that much. But most of the time there is a lower quality avi version too, which is even smaller. If you still don't have place for that, you can do what I did on my old PC: download 2-3 episodes > watch an episode > after watching delete it, and stat downloading a new one.

I use utorrent for downloads, K-Lite Mega Codecpack + CoreAVC and Media Player Classic Home Cinema for watching anime.

Davyu said:
-Most Importantly!-> Risk of wanting to download more
lol so true :D
Jan 19, 2010 3:15 PM

Mar 2009
Personally, I think it depends on whether you really care about the quality. I find it easier to download because it is always accessible to me.
Jan 19, 2010 3:21 PM
Mar 2009
I've only ever downloaded a few things, and I must say, when compared to the streams, the quality for most series is better. There are a few where I've noticed no mark able difference though. That's probably because these series were animated for high definition streaming at some point (i.e. one of the series is Bakemonogatari). So, in the end, for older series, yes, it's worth it, or buy the DVD's (as if anything I've ever pirated becomes available in my country, I do buy it), but for the newer stuff, it depends on whether you want to watch it again later on.

Jan 19, 2010 3:40 PM

Aug 2007
Downloading is only better if you avoid shit RMVB files. Even .AVI is better than them. Streaming will never compare to downloading in quality.
Jan 19, 2010 6:14 PM

Jun 2007
I have to say I find this question somewhat sad, as in the pre-streaming era it would've been "Is buying anime worth it, or are downloads good enough?"

Nadian said:
I believe that VLC should be able to play practically anything you throw at it, regardless of your OS. (Windows, Mac, Linux.)
Good luck in getting VLC to play .mkvs with the OP/ED in separate linked files, AKA "Ordered Chapters." Those are becoming more and more common in fansub releases today.

I find downloading to be worth it -- back in 2005 when I started DLing, there wasn't any appreciable amount of streaming, so DLing was my default method for (illegitimate) anime-watching. I saw no reason to change my habits as streams became more common. Plus, even SD TV-rips released from ~2004 onwards have better quality than streams. I figure if I'm going to watch something illegally, I may as well get the best quality I can. Beyond that, the collector in me likes to have anime archived on HDDs to complement DVDs on shelves -- even though DLing doesn't contribute anything to the anime industry, it still feels better to have a "collection" as opposed to a list of shows I've seen streamed and never kept.

Ironically, the increasing quality of downloads may lead me to watch more streams, as the quality is becoming more than what my machine can comfortably handle. With more and more groups doing 720p-only releases, I'm left with the dilemma of "Do I want to spend the time, bandwidth, and HDD space to DL these 350MB files that contain 36% wasted data and will lag my PC to some degree, or do I want to watch streams?" Given that many streams these days are actually legitimate, they're becoming more and more attractive to me.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Jan 19, 2010 6:46 PM

Apr 2009
streaming through crunchy roll is good
but i prefer downloading
if only i could find a wayto put them onto a disk
Jan 19, 2010 6:51 PM

Aug 2007
MRS_FUTOSHI said:
but i prefer downloading

Crunchyroll is shit.
Jan 19, 2010 6:55 PM

Jun 2008
m-boy said:

Answer, yes. In fact you can get a 2T for under $150.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jan 19, 2010 6:57 PM

Jan 2010
I usually only download anime that isn't available to buy yet and even then, I keep it on my drive. Since I have two huge external hard drives, I can take them anywhere with my lap top and if I get bored... voila! instant anime. Once you have one or two good sites to download from [ I use about five different sites ^_^; ] then you're set to go and with VLC, as someone mentioned up above, you can do almost anything.

"Suga Shikao!"
Jan 19, 2010 7:22 PM

Jun 2008
In short, yes.
I'm back.
Jan 19, 2010 7:27 PM

Aug 2009
Making Videos
Rewatching
Have good quality

Thats pretty much it.
[right]

Jan 19, 2010 7:36 PM

Sep 2009
yeah cuz its faster, in like 20 minutes i download an entire season.
quality is better and its free
if you got bizness skill you can burn them n sell them to get extra money to feed ur hoes.

wut else to say?
Jan 19, 2010 8:11 PM

Jul 2008
i download and torrent all the time and i say its 100% worth it.

1.) as long as you have good torrent sites or download sites can have stuff that can't be found streaming
2.) video quality drastically improved
3.)fast access if have all episodes instead of needing to search all the time

does use up space but if you delete episodes when you're done then the space is fine.

i will say buy dvd's if you really enjoy a series though since then it deserves it ^^

media players i say download Windows Media Player Classic and/or GOM Player..GOM has issues with some formats sometimes but its best for screenshots so if you want that feature to be nice and easy thats a good one too.

client wise i say go for Utorrent though.

hope this helps ^^

RyokoAyekaLoverJan 20, 2010 8:15 AM
Jan 19, 2010 8:14 PM

Mar 2009
It depends. As for me, I don't like downloading because it takes up time and memory space.
Jan 19, 2010 8:15 PM

Jun 2009
For me I think it is worth it. Especially if you download MKV Format.

You get really good quality anime and for me Disc space isn't much of a problem I have a 500gig harddrive and I usually just put them on disc and delete them of my computer.
(if you dont have room or disc to burn it on. Just Delete it after watching it? Im sure the better quality is worth the download.

For players I use VLC, CCCP pack, SM player, and BS Player. MKV's run real smooth for me on all those players but some ppl have problems with them. I heard if so that you should us SM player and there is a guide somewhere (idk google it) That helps you run it on it alot smoother on SM player if you have troubles with the other players.
Jan 19, 2010 8:19 PM

Oct 2007
Just use CCCP + included Media Player Classic - Homecinema. It should play everything by itself.
If anything goes wrong, select reset all settings on the second page of the CCCP Settings application and apply.
Psajdak said:
When a flat chested girl hugs you, she's holding you closer to her heart.
Jan 19, 2010 8:21 PM

Apr 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
MRS_FUTOSHI said:
but i prefer downloading

Crunchyroll is shit.

pretty fast downloads when i watched gintama the other
day its good if you have a VIP account
Jan 19, 2010 10:07 PM

Jun 2009
OP is a troll.

lilla said:
I tried VLC, but I found it REALLY increased the time on streaming sites.
I couldnt put up with it.

Definitely a troll.

Zalis said:

Nadian said:
I believe that VLC should be able to play practically anything you throw at it, regardless of your OS. (Windows, Mac, Linux.)
Good luck in getting VLC to play .mkvs with the OP/ED in separate linked files, AKA "Ordered Chapters." Those are becoming more and more common in fansub releases today.

It works fine.
Jan 19, 2010 10:26 PM

Feb 2008
lilla said:
But it also takes up a lot of space.

Get a better hard drive.

Or just delete the episodes after you finish watching them
Jan 19, 2010 10:28 PM

Aug 2009
Yes. sure. I'd say you go for re-encoded HQ small file-sized MKV files, normally between 60MB and 100MB. Then dl CCCP codec pack+ VLC or Media player classic. That should work out fine. If you really have shortage of disk space, dl a few episodes, and after watching just delete them.
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Jan 19, 2010 10:35 PM

May 2008
Save up and buy a hard drive to not worry about space. My TB secondary drive has freed up space considerably.
Jan 19, 2010 10:53 PM

Apr 2009
Media Player Classic is better than VLC because in some animes it'll put all the subs overlapping so you can't read anything.

Yep as already stated CCCP + MPC = Best.
Jan 19, 2010 11:01 PM

Aug 2007
MRS_FUTOSHI said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
MRS_FUTOSHI said:
but i prefer downloading

Crunchyroll is shit.

pretty fast downloads when i watched gintama the other
day its good if you have a VIP account

Fansub streaming sites are better.
Jan 19, 2010 11:16 PM

Sep 2009
I always download. I don't care about space, because I have a few TBs :D
I get download speeds of 10-15mB/s so it takes like 30s for me to download 720p anime episode :D
I use VLC player.
No sig :(
Jan 20, 2010 12:19 AM
Oct 2009
Depends on what anime it is, who has fansubbed it, and what quality it's supposed to be, and to me in addition to these, what format it is.
Jan 20, 2010 12:38 AM

Jan 2010
<--- Downloader. (But once it gets licensed I will buy it if I liked it. That way there is no way to be dissapointed)

Also, if you start downloading check this out. it is a codec.
http://www.cccp-project.net/

and check this program out for torrenting. I can walk you through it if you need
http://www.utorrent.com/

ninja edit: I use Media Player Classic HomeCinema which comes with the CCCP codec.

hella.srs.bsns
Jan 20, 2010 12:44 AM

Aug 2009
ALWAYS download.
I've got 2 external HDs to store them in.

For bittorent clients ------> utorrent
For player -----------------> ALWAYS and ALWAYS MPC (Media Player Classics)

You've got the links above
Jan 20, 2010 2:27 AM

Sep 2009
why do you prefer MPC?
It is very uncomfortable for me :P

VLC all the way :D
Jan 20, 2010 2:41 AM

Nov 2007
Algirdyz said:
why do you prefer MPC?

VLC can't render properly, thus fails. A lot of people swear by it, but they're people who tend to only watch basic DivX AVI releases or something. Getting in to HD MKV/MP4s with unusual codec combinations and subtitle formats can really throw it through a loop, just like hardware players. Since fansubs are often non-compliant to any sort of standards, it's common to see issues. So the entire fansub community advises people not use VLC for that reason.
Jan 20, 2010 2:42 AM

Jan 2010
Asako said:
Algirdyz said:
why do you prefer MPC?

VLC can't render properly, thus fails. A lot of people swear by it, but they're people who tend to only watch basic DivX AVI releases or something. Getting in to HD MKV/MP4s with unusual codec combinations and subtitle formats can really throw it through a loop, just like hardware players. Since fansubs are often non-compliant to any sort of standards, it's common to see issues. So the entire fansub community advises people not use VLC for that reason.

+1

@k0k0 do you prefer MPC or MPC HC? and why?

hella.srs.bsns
Jan 20, 2010 2:48 AM

Sep 2009
Well I would agree if I would have experienced any issues you mentioned. But I have been watching 1080p movies, mkv anime and have never experienced any problems.

I had problems on my older computer when playing 30gb BDMV videos. it lagged a lot :D
But it did not lag on MPC. BUT!!!! It was all buggy on MPC, if the BDMV folder contained more than 1 movie. Now I have a faster computer and can play those movies on VLC.
Jan 20, 2010 3:05 AM

Aug 2009
ramenbuoy said:

@k0k0 do you prefer MPC or MPC HC? and why?

I've never used HC before since I watch all the anime on my laptop. It's there on my desktop and when I tried it, I didn't find much difference compared to the original one.
But as I use MPC, it's my preference.

@Algirdyz
I never got into VLC. I find it more annoying to operate (You can't pause with the space bar). And the lime green is painful to the eyes.
To each his own.
Jan 20, 2010 3:07 AM

Jul 2009
It is worth it..i use Torrent most for downloading, uTorrent is what i use, and i'm downloading 11GB of Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann now..XD sorry i'm late, didn't found it on the site i usually download with DDL

For player i use MPC HC..it never encounter problem..except one of hentai anime i once played..it's lagging like hell dunno it it's the player or the file..but it's just a hentai so didn't really bother me to change player
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime sequels that fell off

ST63LTH - 2 hours ago

7 by rohan121 »»
12 seconds ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 3 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

124 by mik0308 »»
2 minutes ago

» Disney Japan Executive Promises to Censor Anime ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - May 7

89 by dipItFoo »»
8 minutes ago

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 3 )

rohan121 - May 9

109 by rohan121 »»
10 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

68 by Ezeeql »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.