Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 4, 2016 1:03 PM

Jun 2011
Anime I started with: Speed Racer, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Digimon, Dragon Ball, Yugioh.

What actually made me a real anime fan: Inuyasha as it drew me into the entire Adult Swim line up.

I think I was really just born to be someone engrossed in anime though. cradle to grave type.
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 4, 2016 1:47 PM

Jun 2009
I'd suggest an old one, then he/she wouldn't be too picky about anime with good CGI or art or graphics. New kids these days don't want to watch anime with old artstyle >.<
I think the ones I started with were :
Ouran High School Host Club
Mermaid Melody
Tokyo Mew Mew
Rorouni Kenshin (Samurai X)
Chobits

But of course newer ones are a great start too ^^
Give them something typically Japan and not too shocking like, and something from every genre :
Natsume Yuujinshou
Inu x Boku SS
Soul Eater
Shakugan no Shana
Sakurasou No Pet na Kanojo
Aria The Animation (will make them fall in love with anime)

and if they r ready for a longer one Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Avoid hardcore (but great) anime (that can only be fully appreciated with more experience) like:
Lucky Star
Boy's Love anime (Junjou Romantica etc)
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
Kuroshitsuji
Ore no imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai
Bakemonogatari
Mirai Nikki
Steins Gate

Again, the last ones are all great anime, but I don't think someone who has just started watching anime will be able to fully inderstand or enjoy these (Lucky Star is full of references for example, and ecchi or too confusign stories might scare them off or give up halfway).

Please do immerse as many people as you can into the wonderful world of anime ^^ <3
May 4, 2016 2:18 PM
May 2016
Well, first off...

...give them something that they personally find appealing in a non-animated movie, such as gore, romance, etc.

Then...

...compare that to anime movies and shows which have that genre in them.

Finally...

...start out with something that doesn't have too many episodes, otherwise they'll be busy for a long time stuck on one anime (unless they have a schedule where they switch up anime).

As a personal suggestion, I say give them a chance to try the waters with any anime movie by Hayao Miyazaki (Studio Ghibli). That'll be a smooth transition for them.
May 4, 2016 2:20 PM
Jul 2018
For me it was Ranma 1/2, became my very favorite anime of all time, but it is an out-of-date anime now by modern standards. Back when I was introduced to it, it was still hot off the press, so it was extremely popular back then. Even so, it is still a great series by a beloved creator (Rumiko Takahashi.) I would recommend it, but there's also other great classics, such as Mai HiME, Magic Knight Rayearth, Fruits Basket (Furuba) and of course, Sailor Moon!
May 4, 2016 2:41 PM

Jun 2015
A good first anime doesn't have to be perfect in every aspect, it just to hook you and get you into it. Good example would be like Naruto, One Piece, Tokyo Ghoul, SAO, SnK, etc...
良い曲 // アスカ名言

ママ、ママ、わかったわ。ATフィールドの意味!!私を護っていてくれてる!私を見てくれてる!!ずっと、ずっと一緒だったのね!ママッ!!

気持ち悪い
May 4, 2016 4:54 PM

Oct 2014
You first need to know what kind of shows entertain your friend, what kind of western media they enjoy and based on that choose a anime equivalent. Go for high quality shows, give them the best of the medium. Don't limit yourself to "entry level" anime.

Do they like politicals dramas like Game of Throne? Recommend some anime with that in mind. I blindly suggest Legend of the Galactics Heroes and I actually suggest, depending on their tolerance to bullshit plot twists, Code Geass too.

Do they like dramas? Try something from that angle. I don't know if Clannad can be a good choice because despise all it's praise, the girls's desing can be weird for newcomers.

Do they like Comedy? For perverted comedy try Prison School or Golden Boy. For more light hearted comedy One Punch Man is not bad. Gintama isn't a good choice because you need to know what they are parodying to have a laugh.

Do they like experimental stuff things that would make them think? Go for Serial Experiment Lain. Is not by any stretch necessary to be an anime fan to enjoy it, since you only need an open mind. Also try Paranoia Agent and Tatami Galaxy.

I'd refrain from ecchi anime or otaku pandering anime. Western culture isn't the same as Japanese and to tolerate them you need some knowledge in the medium. It can repulse viewers that don't accept that kind of shows.

Special mention to Cowboy Bebop. Show the episode 5 first and then let them have a wild ride.

Finally, if it is a little boy or girl, go for shonens and shoujos. For boys go for Dragon Ball or Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. For girls go for Sailor Moon or Sakura Card Captor.

Just my opinion, y'know.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
May 4, 2016 8:17 PM

Jan 2013
Full metal alchemist
Attack on Titan
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2016 8:27 PM

Dec 2013
STAY AWAY FROM ECCHI

Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood
Death Note
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Soul Eater
Attack on Titan
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
May 4, 2016 10:00 PM

Jun 2015
Old Action
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Kill La Kill

Old Fun
Golden Boy

Old Dark
AfroSamurai, Berserk

Sad
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Very Sad
Clannad

Just go out there and find what's better for u man but those animes are pretty cool for first anime.
No Signature.
◄◄◄- look there
May 5, 2016 1:12 AM
May 2016
Hunter X Hunter or Yu Yu Hakusho
May 5, 2016 1:32 AM

Jun 2011
TheArchangels said:
STAY AWAY FROM ECCHI

Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood
Death Note
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Soul Eater
Attack on Titan

I disagree. Don't stay away from ecchi. Give them good ecchi like Video Girl Ai or Golden Boy.
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 5, 2016 4:50 AM

Nov 2012
I'd say something mainstream and popular like Attack on Titan or Death Note.
Defintely not ecchi if you want to keep your friends.
May 5, 2016 6:43 AM

Apr 2013
I‘d split whoever I am recommending to male/female.

Guys should prefer shows with more action, and to have an easier time attracting them, show them something with great graphics, such as:
- Shingeki no Kyojin
- One Punch Man
- Sword Art Online (despite having many flaws, it still looks good and can easily get you hooked)
- Ansatsu Kyoushitsu

For girls, well maybe action shows aren't their thing, so a good comedy, slice of life, as well as romance might be the better option, such as:
- Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
- Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
- AnoHana

I think Sports anime are quite easy to get into as well, especially the modern ones:
- Kuroko no Basket
- Haikyuu

I think 1-2 cour(s) shows are the ones that we should recommend to newcomers first, anything more than that (especially FMA:B... 64 episodes) should come after they had completed 2-3 shows and wanting for more.

May 5, 2016 6:43 AM

Jul 2014
The first anime I showed my friend was Highschool of the Dead, which wasn't really a good idea. I guess Death Note or so would be better.
May 5, 2016 7:08 AM

Oct 2013
Death Note - Naruto - Fullmetal Alchemist
May 5, 2016 2:44 PM
May 2016
FMA-Blue Exorcist is nice too.
I've heard Black Butler was good too, but I've never really watched it-I plan to though.
My 1st was Fairy Tail-but I don't think that's the best for everyone-
What is the question of if one lives to watch anime or if one watches anime to live?
They both mean that anime controls most of your life.

(Made this just to have a signature)
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Movies

BitChilly - Yesterday

10 by TheSunLife »»
9 minutes ago

» Looking for anime like Aria the Animation and Shiroi Suna no Aquatope

AdityaRizkiS - 7 hours ago

4 by Chisuku »»
44 minutes ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Apr 25

6 by mo_lave »»
4 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

34 by JoeChip »»
6 hours ago

» Looking for an Anime like the game "Rival Schools".

reigningslash - Apr 22

3 by JoeChip »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.