Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2016 5:01 PM

Jun 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was quite good. They managed to destroy Boa, and save themselves at the same time. This was very well done. You also have to wonder if this somehow inspired Leiji Matsumoto, as the ship in a way reminds me of Captain Harlock's "Arcadia."

I hope this gets licensed in North America someday.

Apr 4, 2017 12:20 PM
Apr 2009
The scene with the tank ramming through those cars, the way people were running from it, that must've been Miyazaki for sure. It's interesting to think that we was 28 when this movie came out, and looks like he already had his unmistakable style formed.
Also funny hearing Nozawa Masako (Goku's VA) as the boy MC.
Mar 21, 2018 8:27 PM

Jun 2013
I watched thinking it was from the 80s.
Jan 19, 2019 10:19 PM

Mar 2014
Not bad. The story was a bit basic, but I loved the animation and presentation.
Some of these shots were really impressive, especially the scene of the man dissolving, the part where they were traversing the minefield, and of course the tank scene.

You can definitely see some things here which would go on to influence Miyazaki's later work. It's difficult not to draw comparisons between some of the action in this and Castle in the Sky, and that ending scene looks like something straight out of Future Boy Conan.
Same goes for Shotaro Ishinomori, the hero wearing a skull mask here would influence him to create The Skull Man the following year, which in-turn eventually led to him creating Kamen Rider.

I can also see the beginnings of some popular 70s SF works, especially stuff like Space Battleship Yamato and some of Leiji Matsumoto's other works.

A pretty influential movie, I must say.
::End of Transmission::

Aug 12, 2020 8:23 AM

Jul 2013
Might look decent and at least it isn't boring but there's million things happening rapidly and the movie doesn't have anytime to breath. It feels like most of the script got just torn out.
Apr 27, 2023 2:54 PM

Sep 2020
Pretty fun movie, so many twists that I had no idea where it was going. I wish the ending wasn't so abrupt, though. 8/10

Was this influenced by Scooby-Doo or the other way around somehow? Both came out in 1969, and the obvious similarities with the opening mansion scenes, Hayato's ascot, Daphne-looking girl, and, of course, the dogs, are just too much to be a simple coincidence.
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Jun 11, 2023 5:12 PM

Nov 2012
eh, it was okay, worth the watch I guess. The kid was was pretty insufferable at first, mad that it's the voice of Goku voicing him. 
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Aug 3, 2023 8:37 AM

Oct 2017
- The story was all over the place, terrible imo.

- Animation is fine considering late 60s
Mar 24, 10:30 AM

Feb 2016
I don't understand the ending. Is there something wrong with the subs, or is the story really that bad? Reading all the positive reviews, I can't help but wonder if I watched the wrong movie.
その目だれの目?
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.