Forums

Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5

New
Pages (85) « First ... « 35 36 [37] 38 39 » ... Last »
Aug 27, 2018 6:30 AM

Sep 2014
xShinigami3125 said:
It's subjective.
A show you might rate 10/10 can be a 1/10 for me. There is no objectively good anime.

The question is about what show truly is overrated like Gintama which is exclusively watched by their fans therefore only receive positive rating. Or just any show which receive unnecessary exaggerated amount of hype like MHA.
Aug 27, 2018 6:38 AM

Oct 2017
I think that Your Name , Boku no hero, Shingeki no kyojin , Mirai Nikki , SAO , Naruto , Dragon Ball ( The whole saga if you can say so),No game no life and would keep saying but I'll take a long post well
although I like some
Aug 27, 2018 6:44 AM

Jun 2017
This is actually the first time I see a thread like this...
Go to forums type "overrated" in that search bar and you can see a thread like this created at least once in every two or three weeks...
Aug 27, 2018 6:46 AM
Jun 2017
I guest if the anime has a really good score but not to much people voting for that i mean is not so popular maybe is overrated.

Normally i try no watch bad anime so normally my score is between 5 at 10, rarely i finished an anime that did not like me too.

Sep 2017
Hrybami said:
xShinigami3125 said:
It's subjective.
A show you might rate 10/10 can be a 1/10 for me. There is no objectively good anime.

The question is about what show truly is overrated like Gintama which is exclusively watched by their fans therefore only receive positive rating. Or just any show which receive unnecessary exaggerated amount of hype like MHA.

If gintama has a high rating because it's exclusively watched by their fans then how do you explain the unnatural amount of 1/10 scores given by haters?
ppl don't think their opinions be wrong, but it do.
May 2016
I also believe ratings are very subjective.

For me there are two huge ones,

"Fullmetal Alchemist" and "Monster"

Aug 27, 2018 6:50 AM

Sep 2014
AlanWeebus said:
Hrybami said:

If gintama has a high rating because it's exclusively watched by their fans then how do you explain the unnatural amount of 1/10 scores given by haters?

Well they are most likely bots accounts. What else? But with the stats given by MAL it's hard to see that there are bots in both side also boosting gintama score with multiple 10's. Really, it's a pointless war so I give no importance.
Aug 27, 2018 6:52 AM

Feb 2015
These ones:

Katanagatari
TV · 2010
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
TV · 2017
Ookami to Koushinryou
TV · 2008
Golden Time
TV · 2013
One Punch Man
TV · 2015
One Outs
TV · 2008
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
TV · 2011
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
TV · 2009
Fate/Zero
TV · 2011
Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

;)
Aug 27, 2018 6:54 AM
Aug 2018
mhkr said:
This is actually the first time I see a thread like this...
Go to forums type "overrated" in that search bar and you can see a thread like this created at least once in every two or three weeks...

well at least someone's trying to be sarcastic
If you only face forward, there is something you will miss seeing
Aug 27, 2018 6:56 AM
Aug 2018
Bloodbat said:
I also believe ratings are very subjective.

For me there are two huge ones,

"Fullmetal Alchemist" and "Monster"

wow to call FMA overrated for your first post ......
If you only face forward, there is something you will miss seeing
Aug 27, 2018 6:58 AM

Apr 2014
One Punch Man.
Death Note.
Sword Art Online.
Attack on Titan.
Aug 27, 2018 7:03 AM

Apr 2016
FMAB
Code:Geass
Boku no Hero Academia
Koe no Katachi
Angel Beats
Gintama
Tokyo Ghoul
Sora yori mo Tooi Basho
Shingeki no Kyojin
Jojo
HunterXHunter
Made in Abyss
joshua10redAug 27, 2018 7:10 AM

Aug 27, 2018 7:05 AM

Aug 2018
Hrybami said:
xShinigami3125 said:
It's subjective.

Then how is the first season the 15th best anime of all time according to MAL? Surely that wasn't only watched by fans.

Anyway, a show can never be overrated or underrated.
You may, subjectively, believe that it is. But in the end a score is merely a numeric representation of the opinions of the people who watched it. If the people say it's a 9, it's a 9. That's all there is to it.

Unless people are making alt accounts en masse to manipulate the votes -- and I'm pretty sure the MAL staff would notice if that happened -- or voting simply to promote a meme, without even watching the anime (Pingu), the score is never wrong.
Aug 27, 2018 7:05 AM

Jun 2017
AllHailLelouch87 said:
I think "overrated" is a very subjective term. What you find overrated may be even underrated for other person.
Personally, I find Violet Evergarden to be very overrated. It has an 8.59 score in this website, and I can't really understand why. Yes, its visuals are outstanding, but... its story is only made to make you cry because of "feelings", and besides Violet Evergarden, there is no development for other characters. Heck, they all have the same personality.

I think you are wrong but I still respect your opinion.
I think VE is a great piece and deserves way more than it did.
Yeah I don't like the characters either but that's it.
I love the story and how it unfolds.
I adore the concept and always think about how hard it would be to write something with that concept.
And I binged the series when I had the Netflix subscription (F to that).
I think you should also think about it.
Aug 27, 2018 7:32 AM

Sep 2014
-Lightsbane- said:
Hrybami said:

Then how is the first season the 15th best anime of all time according to MAL? Surely that wasn't only watched by fans.

What do you mean by that? Of course the first season is mostly rated by fans. At least you really need to tolerate it if you manage to sit through 200 eps. Which is mainly different from a single cours anime where basically anybody could input a score. I mean think about it for a second.
Aug 27, 2018 7:35 AM

Aug 2018
Hrybami said:
-Lightsbane- said:

What do you mean by that? Of course the first season is mostly rated by fans. At least you really need to tolerate it if you manage to sit through 200 eps. Which is mainly different from a single cours anime where basically anybody could input a score. I mean think about it for a second.

But you don't need to watch all 200 episodes to register a vote, right?

I mean, I don't know how many you would actually need to watch for your vote to count, but I'm pretty sure it's not 100%.
Aug 27, 2018 7:57 AM
Mar 2013
This topic is overrated tbh, don't be bitter you didn't enjoy SnK, SAO, BnK, One piece like other people did

Yeah I do find Orange and Golden time shit, and Re;Zero to have horrible dialogue and meh characters, that is my opinion, some agree others don't, it doesn't make my or their opinion superior though, just know who you exchange recommendations with

PhantomThief_ said:
Mid hero academia is the epitome of overrated. i dont understand how it gets higher ratings than other deep and philosophical shows like neon genesis evangelion, ergo proxy, texhnolyze, etc

That's because not everyone likes nihilistic and/or pretentious shows, battle shounen have been popular for a long time and just because someone like "smart" anime it doesn't necessarily make their taste superior

Skifteri said:

Old animes rarelly gets High score and attention nowdays. Sadly truth

The examples he posted are clearly not about old vs new but about the kind of show, battle shounen has elements a lot of people enjoy and like seeing while "existential" and philosophical anime are somewhat a niche that is popular in mal and it's been gaining popularity among certain demographics
Chigo_SenseiAug 27, 2018 8:06 AM
Aug 27, 2018 7:57 AM

Aug 2018
Kimi No Na Wa is good but a bit overrated
ReZero too
Aug 27, 2018 8:02 AM

Sep 2014
-Lightsbane- said:
Hrybami said:

But you don't need to watch all 200 episodes to register a vote, right?

I mean, I don't know how many you would actually need to watch for your vote to count, but I'm pretty sure it's not 100%.

It's actually 40 episodes, but people rarely rate something when they haven't watched the whole thing first. And people who didn't like it at first don't usually bother with Gintama at all. So it leaves mainly only rooms for the fans to input their score and most of them rate 10 to everything gintama related.
Aug 27, 2018 8:02 AM
Jul 2018
It disappoints me how anybody even mentioned CLANNAD.
Aug 27, 2018 8:04 AM

Aug 2015
Hunter X Hunter 2011,
pretty much any anime that worshiped by normies.
Aug 27, 2018 8:14 AM

Jul 2016
Technically every show that is both popular and high-scoring is overrated on MAL due to the broken scoring system that takes an aggregate of everyone. It also doesn't take the scores of people who dropped the show early on so its just flooded with positive reviews. Even so I do think there are a lot of shows that got waaaaay to much praise for what they deserved. A few anime that are a personal peeve of mine when I see way too many people praised a heavily flawed show would be:

Erased-Sseriously, guys? An 8.55? This is why we can't have nice things...
Kokoro Connect- Seeing people say they relate to the characters makes me cringe.
Another- If everyone can agree that its a comedy, then that'll be fine and done. But people actually take this show seriously.
Fate/Stay Night UBW- Played the VN route. It kind of sucked. Watched the anime. It really sucked.
Noragami- People overlook the flaws in this show too much in favor of its (admittedly great) action scenes.
Girls und Panzer- This show got a serious following. Just really stupid at times but it has waifus so it's completely fine.
Aug 27, 2018 8:15 AM
Jul 2018
hmmm
shingeki no kyojin is very overrated
Aug 27, 2018 8:24 AM

Aug 2018
Hrybami said:
People rarely rate something when they haven't watched the whole thing first.

I don't buy that for a second. People have no problem rating things they've dropped. I certainly don't.
Sorry, but your whole supposition seems to be built on very shaky ground. It looks more like you have a personal problem with Gintama being in the Top 20.
Aug 27, 2018 8:28 AM

Dec 2015
This topic is disgustingly overrated.

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aug 27, 2018 8:28 AM

May 2015
None, since overrated is a dumb buzzword.

Aug 27, 2018 8:31 AM

Jul 2017
raisin-kun said:

wtf? are you implying that because erased got a high score we can't have nice animes? the hell

tell me, I missunderstood right?
Aug 27, 2018 8:37 AM

Jul 2016
Zehennagel said:
raisin-kun said:

wtf? are you implying that because erased got a high score we can't have nice animes? the hell

Okay I was just kind of joking on that one. But Erased was an affront to the mystery/psychological genre which is already quite rare in anime. So if everyone expressed they loved it for reasons that I fail to comprehend, the anime industry would observe this and turn out more of the stuff that made it so flawed in the first place, hence, we wouldn't get any good mystery/psychological shows.

But thank goodness the show was a flavor of the week and people left it as soon as it ended.
Aug 27, 2018 8:40 AM
Dec 2013
I agree that Gintama is the most overrated anime.
Aug 27, 2018 8:41 AM

Jul 2017
anything that's popular and that I don't like is overrated.

seriously, overrated is such a dumb term. well, in how it's used, imo.

see, if someone watches a show that's popular and they don't like it, they will say "it's overrated"

it never engages discussion, it isn't critisism.
you've got to justify using it, otherwise it's just an insult."this show sucks" is exactly the same
(well that's how the word is used most of the time and why I hate it. it's the same as saying "it sucks")
UrbanSpaceman said:
There is no overrated shows, there are popular shows that you don't like.

agreed.
Aug 27, 2018 8:42 AM
Aug 2017
My hero academia
Made in abbys
Kill la kill
Aug 27, 2018 8:44 AM

Jul 2017
raisin-kun said:
Zehennagel said:

Okay I was just kind of joking on that one. But Erased was an affront to the mystery/psychological genre which is already quite rare in anime. So if everyone expressed they loved it for reasons that I fail to comprehend, the anime industry would observe this and turn out more of the stuff that made it so flawed in the first place, hence, we wouldn't get any good mystery/psychological shows.

But thank goodness the show was a flavor of the week and people left it as soon as it ended.

ho okay, i get it. well indeed, without SAO who knows, we might not have that many isekai harem 12 episodes futureless animes every seasons.
Aug 27, 2018 8:45 AM

Jun 2012
Steins:Gate and Your name.

One gets away with too many conveniences. The other is still the 2nd best rated anime on MAL just because it was one of the most widely relleased anime in the west for a while and every newcommer jumped on it and declared it the best anime movie they have ever seen.

From these 2, I'd give Steins;Gate a pass for many reasosns, but Your name?! That mediocre rom-com that destroys it's story in the second half is nowhere near worthy of the 2nd place.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Aug 27, 2018 8:49 AM

Jul 2017
Sonal1988 said:
UrbanSpaceman said:

Not true. I enjoyed FMAB and S;G, but the hype surrounding them is nauseating.

that doesn't mean it's overrated? I too, liked these shows (gave a 7 and a 8) but the fact that it's getting so much hype is just because they're popular. SAO too, is getting hype but it's far from overrated since so many people hate it.
Aug 27, 2018 8:52 AM
Apr 2017
1. Koe no katachi
2. Ouran Koukou Host Club
3. Fullmetal Alchemist
4. Shinsekai yori (Hmmmm... i think)
Aug 27, 2018 8:52 AM

Dec 2016
Zehennagel said:

that doesn't mean it's overrated? I too, liked these shows (gave a 7 and a 8) but the fact that it's getting so much hype is just because they're popular. SAO too, is getting hype but it's far from overrated since so many people hate it.

Getting excessive hype is basically a show being overrated, unless the hype is negative, like in the case of that imouto anime that came out last year. People praise it as being better than it actually is, and the hype snowballs into said shows becoming "Classics" or "gems" in their genres. As for SAO, it's like the Kardashians - people just love to shit on it bc it's the popular thing to do.

Well, that's what I think, anyway.
Aug 27, 2018 9:05 AM

Apr 2018
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1504768&show=1800

Go here and you'll find 30+ pages worth of answers

have fun
Aug 27, 2018 9:07 AM

May 2015
BirthOfVenus said:
I agree that Gintama is the most overrated anime.

You didn't even watch it correctly and you're calling it overrated?

Aug 27, 2018 9:11 AM

Nov 2016
Clannad and To aru Index. Railgun is borderline for me, but it was much more enjoyable watching compared to a MC who is always handed a silver plate of victory.
Aug 27, 2018 9:49 AM
Mar 2018
Dragon Maid
Gintama
One Punch Man
GTO
K-On
The World Only God Knows
Maid-Sama
Aug 27, 2018 10:10 AM

Sep 2014
-Lightsbane- said:
Hrybami said:
People rarely rate something when they haven't watched the whole thing first.

I don't buy that for a second. People have no problem rating things they've dropped. I certainly don't.
Sorry, but your whole supposition seems to be built on very shaky ground. It looks more like you have a personal problem with Gintama being in the Top 20.

I don't have a problem with gintama being in the top 20 since I don't hate that anime and it's up to you to acknowledge the protection given to sequel and longer show. You just have to browse the statistic page of any anime and you'll see that people don't often give a score before completed the show.
Aug 27, 2018 10:21 AM

Aug 2018
Hrybami said:
-Lightsbane- said:

I don't have a problem with gintama being in the top 20 since I don't hate that anime and it's up to you to acknowledge the protection given to sequel and longer show. You just have to browse the statistic page of any anime and you'll see that people don't often give a score before completed the show.

Then I don't get why stuff like Dragon Ball Super is rated so low. Practically not even in the Top 1000, let alone 20.

If it's only the hardcore fans watching hundreds of episodes to rate these shows, it should be a lot higher.
Aug 27, 2018 11:23 AM

Jul 2015
UrbanSpaceman said:

Finally, someone who understands.

If 8 out of 10 people like an anime then the remaining two cannot say (technically they can and a lot do) that the anime is overrated. It's popular and you don't like it, deal with it.
Aug 27, 2018 1:16 PM

Jul 2017
Sonal1988 said:
Zehennagel said:

Getting excessive hype is basically a show being overrated, unless the hype is negative, like in the case of that imouto anime that came out last year. People praise it as being better than it actually is, and the hype snowballs into said shows becoming "Classics" or "gems" in their genres. As for SAO, it's like the Kardashians - people just love to shit on it bc it's the popular thing to do.

Well, that's what I think, anyway.

overpopularity and overrated is different.
well, I don't think you didn't know that but I said it just in case.
I personnaly hated kiseiju and found it shit because the characters were absolutely obnoxious to me, but it is highly praised and popular, that doesn't mean it's overrated, in my opinion.

people don't praise it for being better than it is. it's just they liked it more than you think it's good(if that make sense)

wow that post was a clusterfuck and I just threw a brunch of ideas without any coordination. well you'll understand.
Aug 27, 2018 1:24 PM

Sep 2014
-Lightsbane- said:
Hrybami said:

Then I don't get why stuff like Dragon Ball Super is rated so low. Practically not even in the Top 1000, let alone 20.

If it's only the hardcore fans watching hundreds of episodes to rate these shows, it should be a lot higher.

If you want to compare the popularity of both Gintama and Dragon Ball you'll notice that dragon ball is not exclusively watched by hardcore fans. The first season of Gintama and Dragon Ball Z have about the same amount of members on MAL.

Gintama is 94th most popular anime on MAL while DBZ is the 71st. So by these numbers Dragon Ball is more popular than Gintama.

But the other statistic show that Gintama (although having less members) has about 2 times the number of dropped of DBZ and about 3 times less completed also compared to DBZ. That means that yes non-gintama fans are having more difficulties going trough something like Gintama as opposed as something like Dragon Ball.

I've not seen Dragon Ball super so I don't know how it turned out, but seeing how so many people have managed to go trough dragon ball Z, I see no reason as to why Dragon Ball Super should be only watched by hardcore fans. Also when trying to compare it to Gintama which had significant difficulties gathering its audience within the first season, this doesn't make much sense to me. Or maybe there are less hardcore DB fans than hardcore Gintama fans, idk.

Also what's overrated in gintama is the latter seasons which receive ridiculous sequel effect.

(I actually prefer Gintama over Dragon ball just so you know).
Aug 27, 2018 1:28 PM

Aug 2016
Your Name - Average movie that is touted as some masterpiece.

Your Lie in April - Painfully over dramatic and hard to take seriously. Massively overrated show

Aug 27, 2018 1:32 PM
Aug 2018
M O T H E R C U C K ! N G S W O R D A R T O N L I N E P E O P L E
Aug 27, 2018 2:05 PM

Sep 2013
TTagain said:
Don't @ me bros and sis but my answer is My hero academia.
i agree, although I love the show its lacking in multiple areas. the plot is good but progresses very slowly and some episodes feel like filler..
Agree
Aug 27, 2018 7:19 PM

Jul 2017
re:zero

Its so bad imo
characters like rem and emilia are very ordinary and pp
keep calling them best girls
the plot is insanely mundane and the graphics are very average
the op and ed are quite unique tho
Aug 27, 2018 7:24 PM
Aug 2018
Well it's not overrated but it's overedged and that madoka.
Pages (85) « First ... « 35 36 [37] 38 39 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

61 by Ricchan__ »»
9 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

28 by LenRea »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 14

50 by alshu »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 6 hours ago

24 by Ricchan__ »»
30 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 2 hours ago

11 by Horizon248 »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.