Forum Settings
Forums

Should anime be categorized alongside alcohol?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 22, 2016 11:51 AM
Oct 2014
Okay, before we have any more arguments over semantics, we need to be clear that addiction is not simply psychological or physical dependency.

The difference is that for a substance or activity to be considered an addiction, indulging in the substance/activity leads to the dependency.

Eating isn't an addiction (although overeating can be). Breathing isn't an addiction. In these cases, eating/breathing doesn't cause the dependency. The natural needs of the human body cause the dependency.

Smoking is addicting because smoking causes a chemical dependency on nicotine. In the same way, alcohol can be addicting, as can various drugs.

Examples of possible psychological addictions are online gaming, Dungeons and Dragons, chat rooms, texting, and yes, anime.

So let's have no more posts about how breathing is an addiction. It's not. Now hopefully we can have an intelligent debate. (Hey, I can dream, can't I?)
Apr 22, 2016 12:04 PM

Nov 2015
traed said:

It iss semantics because psychology is a different field than neurology. Things that cause withdrawl symptoms in the body arent the same as things where people just are hooked on without a physical need that causes withdrawls.

Psychology is what follows neurology - unless you're a dualist.

I wonder why an anime addict, upon stopping his habit, would feel depressed for quite some time until he's finally free of the addiction - don't you wonder that too?

Purely psychological addictions (such as gaming, anime etc) also have withdrawal symptoms. Symptoms such as depression, uneasiness, annoyance etc - all of which are neurological in nature but psychological in treatment.
TyrelApr 27, 2016 1:48 AM
Apr 23, 2016 2:40 AM

May 2015
BlackCell said:
Yeah.... Please don't compare the two, because after you've seen real alcohol and drug addicts, you wouldn't.

Anime addiction is a thing, yes, just like all the other forms of entertainment you can get addicted to, but that just means that the person who got addicted had an addictive personality, or was put in a position where they got addicted to anime.

I'm not really a depressive person normally, but I had reasons to be pretty depressed during certain times in my life, and during those times, anime watching was a good escape method. You could say I was addicted, but that was only because I was in a position that made my personality seek an addiction.

The difference between anime and stuff like drugs and alcohol is that regular use doesn't create a physical dependency, and is much less destructive.
So don't compare the two.
Yes, anime is addictive, and can be destructive, but it can also be safely consumed without any negative effects.

How common is anime addiction though?

Isn't this thread just LOL ANIME FANS ARE LAME I'M NOT?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 23, 2016 2:50 AM

Oct 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
BlackCell said:
Yeah.... Please don't compare the two, because after you've seen real alcohol and drug addicts, you wouldn't.

Anime addiction is a thing, yes, just like all the other forms of entertainment you can get addicted to, but that just means that the person who got addicted had an addictive personality, or was put in a position where they got addicted to anime.

I'm not really a depressive person normally, but I had reasons to be pretty depressed during certain times in my life, and during those times, anime watching was a good escape method. You could say I was addicted, but that was only because I was in a position that made my personality seek an addiction.

The difference between anime and stuff like drugs and alcohol is that regular use doesn't create a physical dependency, and is much less destructive.
So don't compare the two.
Yes, anime is addictive, and can be destructive, but it can also be safely consumed without any negative effects.

How common is anime addiction though?

Yep, it is pretty much. OP forgets that under this categorisation, he would be classed as an addict with the rest of us.
Apr 24, 2016 9:58 PM

Nov 2008
Trance- said:

No matter what aspect you're considering, anime is exactly like alcohol.

Lol no. Anime cannot endanger your life or destroy your liver.

.....it is about as expensive as alcohol though....

Apr 24, 2016 11:40 PM

Jul 2015
To kids and younger teens; YES anime should be categorized. These people haven't yet learned to differentiate between anime and real life, and an overdose of these cartoons can vary from annoying to embarrassing to downright dangerous (there have been kids who thought they could fly/be ninjas and got themselves killed). On special occasions, like in anime conventions and such, this kind of behavior has to be forgiven due to it being impossible to control. Let the kids OD like drunks in a bar.

Grownups, on their early twenties and onward, should already know to avoid the cancer that is weeaboo behavior. Adults know their own limits and have already learned to watch anime responsibly. The unfortunate exceptions that haven't will die as virgins anyway, so such mistakes will be weeded out of humanity naturally.
Apr 25, 2016 2:36 PM
Apr 2016
Is fiction books harmful? It wastes your time and takes a lot of your time. Consider what life is. Death will come to everyone and here you are, arguing whether or not enjoying something will kill you. Let it kill me, at least I'll die happy.
Apr 25, 2016 3:12 PM

Jan 2012
Trance- said:
Anime is an addiction. An addiction usually sought by the socially unsuccessful. It is made by those who were dejected in their childhood. Sure some of them, through this nefarious trade, accumulated fame and wealth but isn't that the same with some alcohol manufacturers?

Every drunkard on the street has his own formula for the type of drink he likes. Same is the case with anime producers. Everyone has his own style and majority of which are downright cancer - exactly like bad alcohol, literally.

Then you have the fact that, exactly like alcohol, anime is a hit or miss. At times it leads to something productive but mostly it only wastes your time and helps you forget your real life failures for a while. Nearly all anime watchers that I've encountered exhibited one ego self-defense mechanism in particular : Fantasy. Alcohol drinkers exhibit one such mechanism too - usually.

No matter what aspect you're considering, anime is exactly like alcohol.

Thoughts?

Not entirely sure if that's the greatest comparison but.... Eh... I guess?
Apr 25, 2016 3:17 PM

Apr 2014
Wtf is wrong with this OP?! Anime is not an addiction, and it definitely isn't comparable to alcohol!
Apr 25, 2016 3:23 PM

Mar 2015
mimiiria said:
To kids and younger teens; YES anime should be categorized.
except they are already categorized?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 25, 2016 3:31 PM

Oct 2014
traed said:
Trance- said:

All addictions are psychological.

Semantics, they work differently. Physical addictions have withdrawl symptoms that cause havoc on the body.
Yes, but even physical addictions are mostly due to psychological counterparts. If someone with a physical addiction is made more psychologically stable then they will recover much faster. Here's a video on it.
Apr 25, 2016 3:33 PM

Jun 2007
If alcohol is just for deadbeats and derelicts, how do those upscale high-class bars stay in business?
Apr 25, 2016 4:25 PM

Feb 2015
Anime is an addiction, eh? I suppose that explains all of the people who speak about getting burned out on anime. Let's not forget as well that you didn't say "anime can be an addiction", you just flat-out said that anime IS an addiction (and then went on to unironically paint all anime enthusiasts as basement-dwelling losers and degenerates).

Let's not forget as well that anime is simply a medium of fiction - so we actually may as well paint all recreation involving fiction as pathetic escapism of individuals with poor social status. On second thought, why don't we apply this to all artistic recreation in general (i.e. music, the visual arts, forms of language art like poetry, etc.)? Please give me a reason. Or retract your statement that anime is just an addiction (of which, I should note, people may have multiple reasons for being addicted to - not just a lack of "success" in life).

Addiction is bad, plain and simple, it doesn't matter much what form it takes. The unfounded correlation you make between anime and "degeneracy" is stupid as hell, and especially in this case, laughable.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Oh, and yes, this is precisely what this thread is.
RefractingApr 25, 2016 4:38 PM
Apr 25, 2016 9:58 PM

Nov 2015
mimiiria said:
To kids and younger teens; YES anime should be categorized. These people haven't yet learned to differentiate between anime and real life, and an overdose of these cartoons can vary from annoying to embarrassing to downright dangerous (there have been kids who thought they could fly/be ninjas and got themselves killed). On special occasions, like in anime conventions and such, this kind of behavior has to be forgiven due to it being impossible to control. Let the kids OD like drunks in a bar.

Grownups, on their early twenties and onward, should already know to avoid the cancer that is weeaboo behavior. Adults know their own limits and have already learned to watch anime responsibly. The unfortunate exceptions that haven't will die as virgins anyway, so such mistakes will be weeded out of humanity naturally.

At least someone here is rational and responsible.

TheRefractingOne said:
Anime is an addiction, eh? I suppose that explains all of the people who speak about getting burned out on anime. Let's not forget as well that you didn't say "anime can be an addiction", you just flat-out said that anime IS an addiction (and then went on to unironically paint all anime enthusiasts as basement-dwelling losers and degenerates).

Let's not forget as well that anime is simply a medium of fiction - so we actually may as well paint all recreation involving fiction as pathetic escapism of individuals with poor social status. On second thought, why don't we apply this to all artistic recreation in general (i.e. music, the visual arts, forms of language art like poetry, etc.)? Please give me a reason. Or retract your statement that anime is just an addiction (of which, I should note, people may have multiple reasons for being addicted to - not just a lack of "success" in life).

Addiction is bad, plain and simple, it doesn't matter much what form it takes. The unfounded correlation you make between anime and "degeneracy" is stupid as hell, and especially in this case, laughable.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Getting into slippery slopes is the best thing a man with unclear thinking can do. No other medium of fiction has produced this many basement dwellers as anime has. If there are as many book geeks as there are otakus out there, then you may have a point. But right now, yours is just a pathetic attempt at saving your nefarious hobby which avails you naught but discomfort and distress with life.
Apr 25, 2016 10:02 PM

Mar 2015
Trance- said:
mimiiria said:

except it is also uninformative as fuck. in fact anime already categorized by ratings and demographic. not to mention time slot and cencorship...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 25, 2016 10:13 PM

Oct 2013
Of course, only losers have hobbies, right?
Apr 26, 2016 12:20 AM

May 2015
Trance- said:
mimiiria said:

TheRefractingOne said:

Getting into slippery slopes is the best thing a man with unclear thinking can do. No other medium of fiction has produced this many basement dwellers as anime has. If there are as many book geeks as there are otakus out there, then you may have a point. But right now, yours is just a pathetic attempt at saving your nefarious hobby which avails you naught but discomfort and distress with life.

Where are these basement dwellers?

I go to an anime convention and see all these weirdos having fun, being social as fuck without shitty Avicii blasting in the background and shots of vodka.

This isn't high school. Laughing at other people's hobbies doesn't make you cool. You just look like you don't have as much fun as us.
Apr 26, 2016 12:40 AM

Feb 2015
Trance- said:

Look, here's the main flaw with your arguments: they're built on the premise that anime has "produced this many basement dwellers", yet you fail to provide any empirical data to back up your claims. Forgive me for my dysfunction, but positive claims require positive evidence, of which you've produced absolutely none (and no, "points" in the form of rationales don't count as evidence when the evidence required is empirical). Until you provide evidence for how many unemployed individuals leading dysfunctional lives anime has produced, there's really little reason to draw a distinction between anime and any other form of artistic recreation with your "alcoholism, despair, degeneracy, etc." judgements.

I could just as easily state (with equal evidence) that anime is targeting teenagers and young adults who don't care to consume terribly high-brow titles, and already have a fair amount of free time from their lifestyles, which for their ages, are not dysfunctional.

Please provide me with these undoubtedly thorough and enlightening studies.
Apr 26, 2016 12:48 AM

Aug 2015
You don't get drunk from anime. tho.

But I get your point, anyway anime is not a unusually hardcore addiction.
And like some guys above me allready said,--> it's not harmful.

Apr 26, 2016 1:05 AM

Nov 2015
TheRefractingOne said:
Trance- said:

Look, here's the main flaw with your arguments: they're built on the premise that anime has "produced this many basement dwellers", yet you fail to provide any empirical data to back up your claims. Forgive me for my dysfunction, but positive claims require positive evidence, of which you've produced absolutely none (and no, "points" in the form of rationales don't count as evidence when the evidence required is empirical). Until you provide evidence for how many unemployed individuals leading dysfunctional lives anime has produced, there's really little reason to draw a distinction between anime and any other form of artistic recreation with your "alcoholism, despair, degeneracy, etc." judgements.

I could just as easily state (with equal evidence) that anime is targeting teenagers and young adults who don't care to consume terribly high-brow titles, and already have a fair amount of free time from their lifestyles, which for their ages, are not dysfunctional.

The Nomura Research Institute (NRI) has made two major studies into otaku, the first in 2004 and a revised study with a more specific definition in 2005. The 2005 study defines twelve major fields of otaku interests. Of these groups, manga (Japanese comics) was the largest, with 350,000 individuals and ¥83 billion market scale. Idol otaku were the next largest group, with 280,000 individuals and ¥61 billion. Travel otaku with 250,000 individuals and ¥81 billion. PC otaku with 190,000 individuals and ¥36 billion. Video game otaku with 160,000 individuals and ¥21 billion. Automobile otaku with 140,000 individuals and ¥54 billion. Animation (anime) otaku with 110,000 individuals and ¥20 billion. The remaining five categories include Mobile IT equipment otaku, with 70,000 individuals and ¥8 billion; Audio-visual equipment otaku, with 60,000 individuals and ¥12 billion; camera otaku, with 50,000 individuals and ¥18 billion; fashion otaku, with 40,000 individuals and ¥13 billion; and railway otaku, with 20,000 individuals and ¥4 billion. These values were partially released with a much higher estimation in 2004, but this definition focused on the consumerism and not the "unique psychological characteristics" of otaku used in the 2005 study

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku#Types_and_classification_of_Japanese_otaku

And this is just Japan. Get an idea of how it is abroad.

Empirical evidence is one google search away - almost always. Now if you would tackle the point instead, that would be great.

One life lesson you ought to learn here: If something is asserted without proof, it can be denied without proof. If something is based on pure reason, it can be denied with pure reason. If something is based on practical reason, then it can be denied only with practical reason.

We're not doing formal logic here that we would need to rely on empirical findings to test the soundness of our conclusions.

TheBrainintheJar said:

I go to an anime convention and see all these weirdos having fun, being social as fuck without shitty Avicii blasting in the background and shots of vodka.

This isn't high school. Laughing at other people's hobbies doesn't make you cool. You just look like you don't have as much fun as us.

Look above.

Fun isn't the objective/purpose of life. Happiness is. And fun doesn't equate to happiness.
Apr 26, 2016 10:14 AM

Feb 2015
Trance- said:

Empirical evidence is one google search away - almost always. Now if you would tackle the point instead, that would be great.

One life lesson you ought to learn here: If something is asserted without proof, it can be denied without proof. If something is based on pure reason, it can be denied with pure reason. If something is based on practical reason, then it can be denied only with practical reason.

We're not doing formal logic here that we would need to rely on empirical findings to test the soundness of our conclusions.

In regards to the study: the term "otaku" in Japan does not refer strictly to "anime/manga enthusiast" as it does here in the West, first of all. "Otaku" refers to, in essence, anyone who's become strongly interested in a particular hobby, really. Would you call traveling enthusiasts or gearheads "otaku degenerates"? I wouldn't. Furthermore, where here does the study look closely at the lifestyles of all these individuals (and contrast these case studies with statistics on how many total animanga otaku there are, to provide a picture of how many of these sad, lonely degenerates there are)? This study is on things like sales, number of people interested in the hobby, etc. Sure, it provides some brief archetypes of "different types of Otaku", but this includes no look at their lives in any sort of depth outside of some brief psychological questionnaires, asking them about how interested they are in certain fields, and what (positive, or at the very least not negative) personality traits they most strongly identify with. And perhaps, most importantly of all, these archetypes encompass ALL otaku (aka, plenty more than just animanga fans). The only group characterized by the study I can imagine you defining as "weeaboo losers" is the "Fan magazine-obsessed otaku", but a group of females in their 20s and 30s accounts for the overwhelming majority of this type, and furthermore identify most strongly with the "desire to be creative" trait. This seems to me to be clearly indicative a group of young women who simply enjoy creating and enjoying various forms of fanart related to the shows they watch (and probably devote a pretty decent amount of time to their visual arts). Still though, we know nothing of these women's occupational statuses, and we know very little of their lifestyle in general. They may as well just be young women working or going to school who spend a lot of their free time with classic creative outlets like the visual arts, we simply don't know.

And as you mentioned, this is just a study of Japan. There's no data on the lifestyles of Western animanga fans (not that there's really any data of these Japanese animanga fan's lifestyles here either...) that you've provided.

Oh, and you're right. If something is asserted with no evidence, it can be denied with no evidence. It is up to the individual making the positive claim to provide the positive proof. You've provided no positive evidence, so I've denied you with no evidence (well, I do have an argument regarding that really shaky piece you did finally put forward).

I'll say it again to drill it into your head: your argument that compares alcoholism to anime is based on the two assumptions that; (a) anime is an addiction, not a hobby (at least among most of it's enthusiasts), and (b) anime enthusiasts are predominately individuals who lack proper jobs, educations, and means or desire to acquire those things (and also probably suffer from a plethora of psychological problems). These are assumptions about the external world (aka, empirical claims), but you have failed to provide any substantive evidence for them. You can't just ignore evidence in cases like these.

For instance, let's say I that go on a rant about how it's in the natural and completely normal behavioral standards for men to violently rape woman, murder each other, etc. "Men are comparable to animals in every aspect", I say. "Well, clearly we're gonna need some evidence for this sir, some statistics by various government justice systems should suffice, to show us just how rampant such extreme violence among men is", another party states. Followed by that, I quickly google something like "rape studies men", and come up with some study conducted on a single university campus asking both men and women whether they had ever felt uncomfortable in a relationship or with romantic/sexual advances being made towards them, and instantly equate the answers to a huge portion of the male populace being barbarians. "Now if you could actually tackle the point instead, that'd be great", I say. Because obviously the meat of my argument can be tackled with pure reason, not in an examination of my empirical data (or lack thereof).
RefractingApr 26, 2016 12:30 PM
Apr 27, 2016 12:06 PM

May 2015
Trance- said:
TheRefractingOne said:

The Nomura Research Institute (NRI) has made two major studies into otaku, the first in 2004 and a revised study with a more specific definition in 2005. The 2005 study defines twelve major fields of otaku interests. Of these groups, manga (Japanese comics) was the largest, with 350,000 individuals and ¥83 billion market scale. Idol otaku were the next largest group, with 280,000 individuals and ¥61 billion. Travel otaku with 250,000 individuals and ¥81 billion. PC otaku with 190,000 individuals and ¥36 billion. Video game otaku with 160,000 individuals and ¥21 billion. Automobile otaku with 140,000 individuals and ¥54 billion. Animation (anime) otaku with 110,000 individuals and ¥20 billion. The remaining five categories include Mobile IT equipment otaku, with 70,000 individuals and ¥8 billion; Audio-visual equipment otaku, with 60,000 individuals and ¥12 billion; camera otaku, with 50,000 individuals and ¥18 billion; fashion otaku, with 40,000 individuals and ¥13 billion; and railway otaku, with 20,000 individuals and ¥4 billion. These values were partially released with a much higher estimation in 2004, but this definition focused on the consumerism and not the "unique psychological characteristics" of otaku used in the 2005 study

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku#Types_and_classification_of_Japanese_otaku

TheBrainintheJar said:

Look above.

Fun isn't the objective/purpose of life. Happiness is. And fun doesn't equate to happiness.

Anime conventions provide more happiness than a one night stand.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 7 hours ago

26 by redorzo »»
2 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 3 hours ago

13 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 8 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
7 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

64 by maya2003s »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

32 by Zimmu »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.