Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2016 7:32 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Damn, this was dark but I think Volia's connection with Ellen was one of the most interesting things to take from this series.

And the descriptive dialogues about the cat too.
Apr 17, 2016 2:16 PM
Jul 2018
I loved it.

Reading about the events that turned Ellen in the person she is at the start of the game was very interesting. Still one of my favorite characters. I can't really blame her for doing the stuff she does in the novel and game.

Still feel bad for Viola though.
Jan 15, 2017 3:05 PM

Sep 2014
Fummy is a good writer, I love how it change between Viola and Ellen
Feb 11, 2017 12:21 AM
Sep 2015
So the moral of this novel was to obey your parents and never go into a deep forest alone.
Feb 19, 2017 7:13 AM

Dec 2015
Poor girls. Was a 9/10. Now I want to play the game
Aug 5, 2017 4:39 PM

Sep 2014
I wonder what happened at the end.

Bookmeter ╠╣ class summon
Aug 17, 2017 2:04 PM
Jul 2018
reizenchuu said:
I wonder what happened at the end.

This novel is a prequel story to the game. Play the game if you want to find out (it's free).
Nov 12, 2017 11:19 PM
OG Rewriter

Aug 2009
I loved this novel, but Ellen is so much more sick and twisted than I thought.

No matter what happened to Ellen, she was still a brat. You're talking about someone who killed her mother because she left, and then was like "notice me senpai dad, I killed mom, also you can die too."

And she couldnt be content to sit in a magical house where she could have anything she wanted. Then she starts rotting and stuff because she cant leave, and shes upset. Like okay, it wasnt that bad of a place. And she takes advantage of poor Viola who just came there to play with her, and ended up feeling bad for her. Ellen is kind of a despicable character.

Viola trying to get revenge was justified in my mind. She was just trying to be kind, and she got screwed over. This is why you dont visit strange houses in the woods. Listen to your parents, kids.
-renn-Nov 12, 2017 11:22 PM
Nov 27, 2017 3:31 AM
Jul 2018
Ren-chan said:

No matter what happened to Ellen, she was still a brat. You're talking about someone who killed her mother because she left, and then was like "notice me senpai dad, I killed mom, also you can die too."

And she couldnt be content to sit in a magical house where she could have anything she wanted. Then she starts rotting and stuff because she cant leave, and shes upset. Like okay, it wasnt that bad of a place. And she takes advantage of poor Viola who just came there to play with her, and ended up feeling bad for her. Ellen is kind of a despicable character.

Viola trying to get revenge was justified in my mind. She was just trying to be kind, and she got screwed over. This is why you dont visit strange houses in the woods. Listen to your parents, kids.

I don't think anyone who isn't trying to troll you/bait is going to disagree with you there.

I mean, I love Ellen, she's one of my favorite characters not just on MAL but in general but I don't disagree with what you're saying. I like her as a character because she's the kind of character that does despicable things while still being sympathetic to an extent. A lot of people would do what Ellen did if they were put in her shoes and they could cure themselves of a disease that has haunted them since they were born.

Nov 27, 2017 3:51 AM
OG Rewriter

Aug 2009
Hekselka said:
Ren-chan said:

I don't think anyone who isn't trying to troll you/bait is going to disagree with you there.

I mean, I love Ellen, she's one of my favorite characters not just on MAL but in general but I don't disagree with what you're saying. I like her as a character because she's the kind of character that does despicable things while still being sympathetic to an extent. A lot of people would do what Ellen did if they were put in her shoes and they could cure themselves of a disease that has haunted them since they were born.

Plus there's the whole "no one will love me if I'm not cured" thing that has has going on. And she wasn't really taught the value of human life, or any life for that matter. So it's not really surprising that she turned out the way she did.
Nov 27, 2017 4:02 AM
Jul 2018
Ren-chan said:
Hekselka said:

Plus there's the whole "no one will love me if I'm not cured" thing that has has going on. And she wasn't really taught the value of human life, or any life for that matter. So it's not really surprising that she turned out the way she did.

Exactly! It's Always great to see other people read this novel and understand her character (even if her actions are still despicable) :)
Mar 22, 2019 12:46 PM
Jul 2018
Hekselka said:
Ren-chan said:

Exactly! It's Always great to see other people read this novel and understand her character (even if her actions are still despicable) :)

Can anyone tell me where I can buy the novel?
Mar 22, 2019 12:55 PM
Jul 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
Hekselka said:

As far as I know only the manga has gotten an official translation while the novel got fantranslated by the same person who translated the game.
Mar 22, 2019 1:07 PM
Jul 2018
Hekselka said:
HopefulNihilist said:

As far as I know only the manga has gotten an official translation while the novel got fantranslated by the same person who translated the game.

I'm sorry. Right after I asked you guys where I could buy the novel, I found a translation of it online. But thank you for the information.
Sep 18, 2020 1:43 PM

Apr 2017
Pretty good read. The novel does a good job of showing what the characters are thinking (considering it's written exclusively in first person and all). Ellen was 7 when she turned into a witch and it's mentioned that even though she reads the books in the library, she eventually forgets the information, so her not growing past her callousness isn't against the rules that have been established. I especially like Viola's reactions when her feelings towards Ellen under scrutiny.

Ren-chan said:

Old post, but I want to address this. With all that the house provided for her, Ellen eventually began feeling trapped. It's not that she didn't want to leave, it's that she couldn't leave. Even with her magic influence extending to the entire forest, it wasn't enough to keep her body from assuming its real form once outside the house (or maybe the demon made it that way on purpose?), and once it did the physical pain was too much for her to bear.

Ellen is both the protagonist and the villain of the story so, while sympathetic in parts, she wasn't a character meant to serve as a moral guideline. I'd argue that she'd always felt constrained by her illness — both physically and emotionally, because her body couldn't handle much physical activity and people recoiled from her, thinking her illness was contagious — then was manipulated by the demon at the lowest point in her life, and fell into a different type of constraint which she made the best of in the only way she knew. Eventually, Ellen began wanting to regain the freedom she'd felt after breaking free from her parents, and the body switching spell was literally the only option she had to continue living (according to the demon, at least).

The only things that didn't sit too well with me is Ellen's abrupt change in personality from pitying herself to murderous, remorseless psychopath; one second she liked her mother, then suddenly flipped into such intense hatred that she was able to overpower and stab an adult woman. And the novel wasn't especially well written; the "I" statements were very repetitive.

8/10

More topics from this board

» Where to read?

removed-user - Sep 15, 2021

1 by Alexioos95 »»
Sep 15, 2021 6:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.