Forum Settings
Forums

Is there really anything wrong with being an anime "casual"?

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 14, 2016 3:21 PM

Sep 2015
NoobStomper said:
Casual is a derogatory term used, the same way people label others as elitest, its just two sides of the same coin really.

They're really not though. People can use it in a disparaging manner, but that doesn't mean the term itself is derogatory.

And "casual" is not related to "elitist" at all. They aren't at two ends of the same spectrum. They're two totally different, unrelated things. An elitist can be a casual; a casual can be an elitist.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 14, 2016 3:28 PM

Jan 2016
Nothing really wrong with it, in the grand scheme of things.

The thing is... I really can't talk to them about something I'm passionate about. Since, they'll just say stuff like "It's just anime".... And if it reaches that point.... then there's the problem...looking down on something someone is passionate about.
ethotApr 14, 2016 3:32 PM
Apr 14, 2016 3:51 PM

Jun 2014
Imao being a casual normally refers to the specific shows that you watch as opposed to how much anime you watch. If you don't take anime too seriously and only watch your fairy tail and sao then you normally wouldn't be an active user on this website. So when some people stumble across said casuals they have a compulsive desire to shit on them. Seriously or not, making fun of people's tastes is the #1 thing for anime fans to do and if you fall into the casual group then you can't ever say shit.
Q: The world won't change, you must change yourself in this world. Now, how will you change yourself?

A: Become the god of the new world.
Apr 14, 2016 5:00 PM

Oct 2013
....This year is just full of complexes huh?
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Apr 14, 2016 5:16 PM
Feb 2015
Someone32 said:
I see the title of anime casual way too much, and no I'm not making this because I lost the Sh** Taste Anime Tournament, shut up. That's in good fun I don't care being titled as an "anime casual" there. No, the problem is that casually watching anime is looked down on in the anime community. In which I had to ask what's wrong with being an anime casual?In any other communities of media, you would get encouraged to watch something just for enjoyment. So why would it be a problem in this community? Is there a reason why everyone has to watch anime with a critical mind?

Looked down on???

Most people don't care how much anime you watch...

Lol even the hardcore fans start off as casuals. Doesn't matter if you are a casual or not. What matters is whether or not you enjoy a show!
Apr 14, 2016 5:21 PM

Feb 2013
casual > most of this cringe worthy community
Apr 14, 2016 8:28 PM

Aug 2013
Casual is normal. You know, like the average cool person you meet that has watched *some* anime, and likes other things too. The bulk of the MAL community is certainly not normal/casual.

As a casual viewer myself, read the the top few entries of the anime discussion page with me

Do you change your scores? ( 1 2 )
dont care, didn't click

Japanese Fans Vote For Which Anime They Would Like To Get A Second Season ( 1 2 3 4 )
kinda neat, but the link was in japanese so didn't look at it much and didn't read any comments

Poll- How does MAL Anime score affect your decision? ( 1 2 3 4 )
don't care, didn't click

Anime that is generally disliked but you actually enjoyed. ( 1 2 3 4 5 )
might have some good stuff in it, but most of the thing's I've watched are pretty highly rated (I'm casual that way)

Main Character Privileges, are they annoying? ( 1 2 )
wtf? who gives a shit? bad writing is bad writing.

losing the hype for a certain anime after its season is gone
dont care about hype, didn't click

I don't like anime. But I like cartoons." ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )
don't need to read a circlejerk about how anime is a cartoon. didn't click.

Yandere: Do we want more of it? ( 1 2 )
I don't really know what yandere is. But MAL style anime fans are obsessed with these sort of labels.

What anime (or manga) have you spent the most money on and why? ( 1 2 )
not a bad topic!

Why Do most people gets soo angry if a Main character (or any anime character) doesn't date anyone at the end?
don't care, didn't click

Why Do People Hate on Harems? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )
suuper don't care. I think I've seen this topic like a billion times by a billion authors here.

When you dont understand a crush.
thought it might be interesting but clearly english was not the ops native language. didn't make much sense so i clicked out.

Did anime ever traumatized you? ( 1 2 )
no anime never "did traumatized" me. wtf? didn't click

Any suggestions on what I can fansub?
something you're a fan of? didn't click.

Is there really anything wrong with being an anime "casual"? ( 1 2 3 )
Hi! I'm inside of you.

Are you guys reading the manga after finishing the anime? ( 1 2 )
Hey, good topic!

Now you've seen through the eyes of a casual :)
wolfsliceApr 14, 2016 8:37 PM
Apr 14, 2016 8:52 PM

Dec 2013
No way of being a true anime patrician until you cum on your computer screen with a picture of your waifu

until then we're all casuals
Apr 14, 2016 9:05 PM

Jun 2014
Someone32 said:
I see the title of anime casual way too much, and no I'm not making this because I lost the Sh** Taste Anime Tournament, shut up. That's in good fun I don't care being titled as an "anime casual" there. No, the problem is that casually watching anime is looked down on in the anime community. In which I had to ask what's wrong with being an anime casual?In any other communities of media, you would get encouraged to watch something just for enjoyment. So why would it be a problem in this community? Is there a reason why everyone has to watch anime with a critical mind?

Casuals CAN be annoying as heck though. I was recently talking to a casual who told me "Onigiri" was the first short anime ever. Casuals who pretend they're anime experts are shit.
Apr 14, 2016 10:42 PM

May 2013
There's always someone thinking they are above the rest in everything you do in life. Just don't give a fuck and enjoy what you enjoy.
Apr 14, 2016 11:16 PM

Jul 2009
No such thing as shit taste, just different taste.
Haruhi = Win!
Apr 14, 2016 11:30 PM

Oct 2014
In order for something to be a bad thing it must first have an objective definition. People argue about what it means to be a casual (only watch a few shows, only watch for entertainment and don't rate stuff, don't watch much anime in any given period, ect.) and most of these possible definitions are not necessarily bad. Some are little different from not watching anime at all, which isn't a bad thing either. If someone only watches Pokemon or One Piece then they aren't a fan of anime but are rather a fan of that show, which is completely fine. Being a fan of Winx Club doesn't make you a fan of Italian television so being a fan of One Piece doesn't make you a fan of anime. If they brag about watching anime and actually try to discuss anime with other people even though they've only seen one then it's a problem.
Apr 15, 2016 2:42 AM

May 2015
I don't really like the time 'casual'.

But you know, some of us use our hobbies to expand our horizons. it's research project and we look for new, different anime, review stuff and come out better.

Some don't. I think it's a shame and it's limiting yourself but overall, it's your life. Maybe anime doesn't excite you like it excites me. That's okay. Plenty of things excite others but not me.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 15, 2016 3:39 AM
Jul 2018

Being casual watcher is not a bad thing, you can have more selective approach,
you don't waste precious time on shows you actually wouldn't want to watch.
Apr 15, 2016 7:17 AM
Dec 2015
kuuderu said:

Being casual watcher is not a bad thing, you can have more selective approach,
you don't waste precious time on shows you actually wouldn't want to watch.

This is about how I see it.

I'm currently a casual viewer. I envied how the casual viewer could be entertained by such a high percentage of shows they followed/watched. I can only speak for myself, but when I pretended to be hardcore and just watched anything --------- I was often disappointed. Pretend hardcore extends to not caring about how much shows others seen/what types, either.
Apr 15, 2016 7:05 PM
Jul 2018
wolfslice said:
Casual is normal. You know, like the average cool person you meet that has watched *some* anime, and likes other things too. The bulk of the MAL community is certainly not normal/casual.

As a casual viewer myself, read the the top few entries of the anime discussion page with me
Me:Okay, I'll go through it with you then

Do you change your scores? ( 1 2 )
dont care, didn't click
Me:Same

Japanese Fans Vote For Which Anime They Would Like To Get A Second Season ( 1 2 3 4 )
kinda neat, but the link was in japanese so didn't look at it much and didn't read any comments
Me:I saw that one, you could've just looked at the pictures they showed you what anime got in what place(If you knew the anime of course).

Poll- How does MAL Anime score affect your decision? ( 1 2 3 4 )
don't care, didn't click
Me:I did, it was pretty boring.

Anime that is generally disliked but you actually enjoyed. ( 1 2 3 4 5 )
might have some good stuff in it, but most of the thing's I've watched are pretty highly rated (I'm casual that way)
Me:I was thinking of clicking on this one, but didn't because I wasn't interested.

Main Character Privileges, are they annoying? ( 1 2 )
wtf? who gives a shit? bad writing is bad writing.
Me:No offense, but your writing isn't the best either, so far you've made a lot of grammar mistakes(Fix: japanese (proper noun) into Japanese, thing's(means thing owns something) into things(plural),dont(not a word) into don't(do not:contraction), and please capitalize when you start a sentence more often).You aren't ready to be a Grammar Nazi yet, sorry, but don't worry maybe someday you'll join the Grammar Nazi,just like your father and achieve your dream.

losing the hype for a certain anime after its season is gone
dont care about hype, didn't click
Me:Eh...I probably would've clicked on this one if I saw it.

I don't like anime. But I like cartoons." ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )
don't need to read a circlejerk about how anime is a cartoon. didn't click.
Me:I kind of thought of the same thing, so I did click on it either.

Yandere: Do we want more of it? ( 1 2 )
I don't really know what yandere is. But MAL style anime fans are obsessed with these sort of labels.
Me: A yandere is a character who is in love someone so much that they will do anything to have them. Here this explains "yandere" well enough: [u]https://youtu.be/-BG00B2nrI4[/url]

What anime (or manga) have you spent the most money on and why? ( 1 2 )
not a bad topic!
Me: I wasn't that interested in that one.

Why Do most people gets soo angry if a Main character (or any anime character) doesn't date anyone at the end?
don't care, didn't click
Me: I clicked on that one to only to find out if it was what I was expecting, and it turned out that it was.

Why Do People Hate on Harems? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )
suuper don't care. I think I've seen this topic like a billion times by a billion authors here.
Me:Really I never saw that topic up before, but that's probably just because I'm new.

When you dont understand a crush.
thought it might be interesting but clearly english was not the ops native language. didn't make much sense so i clicked out.
Me: .....

Did anime ever traumatized you? ( 1 2 )
no anime never "did traumatize" me. wtf? didn't click
Me:You'll be surprised at how bad anime can get at times, one time an anime traumatized me, but I still wouldn't click because I don't want anyone to go trough the same thing I did.

Any suggestions on what I can fansub?
something you're a fan of? didn't click.
Me:Meh...

Is there really anything wrong with being an anime "casual"? ( 1 2 3 )
Hi! I'm inside of you.
Me: So am I! :D

Are you guys reading the manga after finishing the anime? ( 1 2 )
Hey, good topic!
Me: Not really, it needs to be more specific.

Now you've seen through the eyes of a casual :)

Well, um...thanks? This was interesting...
removed-userApr 15, 2016 7:08 PM
Apr 15, 2016 8:02 PM

Aug 2013
Someone32 said:

Me:No offense, but your writing isn't the best either, so far you've made a lot of grammar mistakes(Fix: japanese (proper noun) into Japanese, thing's(means thing owns something) into things(plural),dont(not a word) into don't(do not:contraction), and please capitalize when you start a sentence more often).You aren't ready to be a Grammar Nazi yet, sorry, but don't worry maybe someday you'll join the Grammar Nazi,just like your father and achieve your dream.

Ah, I should have been more specific. I didn't mean the OP's writing (I don't care about grammar as long as the point is clear), I meant the bad writing the author was referring to WITHIN the anime. The op singled out one super specific thing he doesn't like, but didn't get into a broader discussion on how lazy and cliched much of the writing is in anime. And that IS ok, I have no actual problem with that kind of topic, but it is hyper specific to the point of nit-picking for almost anyone that's not a die hard fan.

Just to be clear, I'm definitely NOT a grammar nazi ;p
Apr 15, 2016 8:17 PM
Jul 2018
wolfslice said:
Someone32 said:

Ah, I should have been more specific. I didn't mean the OP's writing (I don't care about grammar as long as the point is clear), I meant the bad writing the author was referring to WITHIN the anime. The op singled out one super specific thing he doesn't like, but didn't get into a broader discussion on how lazy and cliched much of the writing is in anime. And that IS ok, I have no actual problem with that kind of topic, but it is hyper specific to the point of nit-picking for almost anyone that's not a die hard fan.

Oh..I see your point now...Yeah I guess I can see why some people would consider it a problem.
Apr 15, 2016 8:18 PM

Oct 2015
Not everyone has to get balls deep into anime. For some people, it's one thing out of a whole lot of things that they spend their time doing. For others, it's a big part of their life.
Apr 15, 2016 8:26 PM

Aug 2013
Someone32 said:
wolfslice said:

Oh..I see your point now...Yeah I guess I can see why some people would consider it a problem.

Yeah, it's not even that it's a problem. All of those topics are probably fun to dick around in if you're really into anime and MAL policies and culture. Which most people here (at least on the forums) seem to be. Nothin' wrong with any of it. I was just sorta showing how it looks to someone who doesn't really care about that stuff.

I just want some good stories, and characters-- in any medium :)
Apr 16, 2016 4:56 PM
Apr 2016
We were all casuals once. But... It came for us. Like a unstoppable truck it slammed into us. Legs crippled and the doctor reads 'Paralyzed for life.' Hardcore for a reason.
Apr 16, 2016 5:14 PM

Jan 2011
What is a casual? A person that watches anime casually? I think everyone does that from time to time. Or do you mean those "casuals" that think their favorite anime is the best (in a critical sense) without being able to provide any argument for it. A lot of people overvalue enjoyment/entertainment too much, there are many anime I did not enjoy but I would respect due to the substance behind it, having this type of perspective is just the first step.
Apr 17, 2016 2:52 AM

May 2015
ShiroiMuffler said:
What is a casual? A person that watches anime casually? I think everyone does that from time to time. Or do you mean those "casuals" that think their favorite anime is the best (in a critical sense) without being able to provide any argument for it. A lot of people overvalue enjoyment/entertainment too much, there are many anime I did not enjoy but I would respect due to the substance behind it, having this type of perspective is just the first step.

What do you mean by 'overvaluing' enjoyment?

If you didn't enjoy an anime, how does it matter the substance behind it? After all, it couldn't deliver that substance to you.
Apr 17, 2016 3:10 AM

Mar 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
If you didn't enjoy an anime, how does it matter the substance behind it? After all, it couldn't deliver that substance to you.

But why would 'substance' only be transmissible through enjoyment? Countless students bemoan the study of textbooks but will still learn from it. A paper cut is hardly enjoyable, but we gain an experience from it - (on the first instance at least.)

Unless in a roundabout way you meant a lack of enjoyment results in a non-viewing, which then results in no substance.
Apr 17, 2016 3:18 AM

Jul 2010
No.
LOL if someone's actually judging you on that, then be glad in knowing that you're not a grubby little weeb who feels the need to verbalize their [imaginary] superiority they feel they have over others.
Apr 17, 2016 4:00 AM

Oct 2013
Ckan said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

But why would 'substance' only be transmissible through enjoyment? Countless students bemoan the study of textbooks but will still learn from it. A paper cut is hardly enjoyable, but we gain an experience from it - (on the first instance at least.)

Unless in a roundabout way you meant a lack of enjoyment results in a non-viewing, which then results in no substance.

Kinda agree, if I didn't enjoy a anime, but I notice it has substance in it, I would automatically give it a 5/10 just because of that. Though, this only applies to boring anime not bad anime. Giving it a score higher than that would be a sin. And that's because entertainment is of higher priority for me.
Apr 17, 2016 6:12 AM

Sep 2014
Milennin said:
It doesn't matter what kind of anime watcher you are, you will get made fun of by some people. :)

That's not true. I'm alpha as fuck and no one messes with me or they get hurt real bad.
Apr 17, 2016 7:33 AM

May 2015
Ckan said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Textbooks aren't a good example. The current school system prevents you from learning.

I guess it depends on how you define 'enjoyment'. If I learn from something, I find enjoyment in it. Learning is enjoyable by nature to me. So if an anime has something profound or unique, that alone makes it more enjoyable to me.
Apr 17, 2016 7:24 PM
Feb 2015
No not really, heck I mostly feel like a casual as well.
Apr 17, 2016 7:40 PM

May 2015
Casual/Elitist = Label

Man It is nothing wrong to be who you are if you watch a lot anime is fine if you only watch a couple of shows in months or days is also fine we are anime enthusiast we should not let a label made by some people dictate how we talk/chat (interact) with each other In anime & manga land, we are brothers and sisters, lets enjoy (in my opinion) one of the most exciting hobbies in the world...

stickermans50 said:
I don't understand either, though you shouldn't really care what a bunch of people say on the internet. I mean, I almost never do.
QFT
Apr 18, 2016 7:10 AM

Jan 2016
LOL..relax man..If it makes you feel any better, take a look at my profile. I've watched anime for almost 2 decades but to this day, I never have the ability to watch/read an anime/manga with a serious mind.

Some people will have a sore eye if they go to my profile xD (obviously because of my mean score)

I don't hate elitists (I don't like calling them that). In fact, I respect them (sometimes admire them) because they like to do stuff that they love and their point of view in anime is totally different from mine and most of them are able to see details that I'm not able to see.
At least justify your opinions instead of just saying "it's my opinion". It would've been more polite.

May 2, 2016 3:04 PM

Mar 2015
Nope. Nothing wrong with not having seen 3 542 shows and actually having a life.
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
May 2, 2016 3:30 PM

Oct 2015
No, a lot of people just think they are better than casuals because they've seen hundreds of animes and obscure animes. Causal anime fans can still enjoy anime though, for example I like Star Trek but I would never label myself as a Trekkie as I've mainly just seen the movies.
May 2, 2016 10:56 PM

Oct 2013
If you're not elitist - you're not alive.
Elitists get to live life the way it was supposed to be lived.
Elitists enjoy their lives to the fullest.
Elitists rule the world.
Elitists are the reason you exist.
Elitism for life.
May 3, 2016 3:49 AM

May 2013
It really gets to me sometimes.. Anytime I disagree with anyone on anything.. It's like..

"Dude you rated SAO a 9, stop talking plz." "Says the guy who rated SAO 9/10 LOL!!"

I'm sorry I enjoyed the show despite the obvious flaws it carried? As an avid MMO gamer who could relate to the MC on a lot of levels, I genuinely enjoyed the fuck out of it. SO SHOOT ME!
May 3, 2016 3:58 AM
Aug 2015
As long as you're not the type of person who has only watched two anime series max. in their entire life and who consider themselves an anime lover, then there's nothing wrong with you.
May 3, 2016 4:50 AM

Apr 2014
That's when you stop giving a fuck about what other people say and do and just do what you want to. Seriously, don't care, it'll solve all you problems.
May 3, 2016 5:21 AM

Apr 2016
i just looked up the term "anime casual" and ah shit I'm an anime casual myself (even though I'm still opening up to as many animes possible). and from the looks of it, I don't seem to find anything wrong being labelled that way. you watch anime for the enjoyment, and if you couldn't find as much pleasure on watching various animes as people who call themselves 'non-casuals', then cool, it's not like you can't help it.

but it'd be an entirely different story if you call yourself a hardcore anime fan but has only watched naruto in your entire life. trust me, you don't want to be THAT guy...
May 3, 2016 6:33 AM

Apr 2014
wait, this is an actual thing?

well if it is, you shouldnt be bothered by it, doesnt matter.
May 3, 2016 6:37 AM
Jan 2016
Why do you care? please answer this if you actually care
May 3, 2016 6:42 AM

Jul 2015
You should't care about that. Don't take everyone's opinion too serious.
May 3, 2016 6:48 AM

Jul 2015
No it isnt wrong in my opinion but what is your definition of an anime casual? :>

May 3, 2016 6:54 AM

Mar 2016
There is no reason for the ppl to criticize animes. Just watch for fun and that's all. I'm doing that and i dont care if im casual, really. If you want a proof that im casual, just try to get highter mean score then me ! :D
May 3, 2016 9:33 PM

Mar 2008
TrollingTrolls said:
There is no reason for the ppl to criticize animes. Just watch for fun and that's all. I'm doing that and i dont care if im casual, really. If you want a proof that im casual, just try to get highter mean score then me ! :D

Partying every day! Nothing gets in my way! Happiness is always here; there's no need to steer.
I do what I do and what I do is good. Don't bother with worries and details and rules; just be as you are and float like a barge. Nothing bothers me now that I'm happy; the funtime don't end when you're always being happy. So happy, so happy. Nothing bothers me. Why do you fight when you can be happy? Why do things when you can be happy?

Why live.
May 3, 2016 9:51 PM
Jul 2018
TrollingTrolls said:

How can you love if you can't hate? Breathing in without breathing out? Eating without shitting? Your viewpoints on life are trash and you should feel ashamed.
May 4, 2016 12:30 AM
Nov 2010
I rather be a casual who watches only Fairy Fail and Nardo than an elitist who hypes LoGH, Mushishi, and Macross Frontier as the greatest anime ever objectively.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
May 4, 2016 6:05 AM

Oct 2009
Being casual is chill af but you can still be critical, not saying I am one though , critical that is :V

May 4, 2016 7:18 AM

Jul 2014
Nothing wrong with it. If anything, those who are overly critical are the ones that make me go: "Srsly...?"
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 4, 2016 7:33 AM
Jul 2018
Someone32 said:
GesuYarou said:
Nah..
There's nothing wrong with it, it's just that let me make fun of you for having shit taste in animu.
No hard feelings bruh..

Actually, I wanted you to make fun of me for my sh** taste, I wouldn't have entered the contest if I didn't. My question was "Is there really anything wrong with being an anime casual?" Why are the majority of people here missing the point, and for f*** sake people stop being so nice to me, it's creepy.

I was going to take this seriously. Not anymore.
You motherf*cking filthy casual
May 4, 2016 7:34 AM

Dec 2012
Nope, not at all. Just don't pay attention to the assholes who tell you what you should like.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Why do so many people still shove anime through interpolaiton AI? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

53 by LeonhartAugust »»
27 minutes ago

» How many completed is considered a lot to you ( 1 2 )

Ice-Cube - Jul 9, 2022

78 by 61969 »»
30 minutes ago

» 🌟Anime Questionnaire 2024 v1🌟

GoatPieceLuffy - Yesterday

18 by Zedlin »»
35 minutes ago

» Are European anime settings easier to get into!!!

Afriendlypaw - Today

20 by Zedlin »»
46 minutes ago

» Going through shows you saw a decade ago, have they fell off?

Dragevard - 3 hours ago

8 by Zedlin »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.