Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 7, 2016 5:14 AM

May 2013
No... just.... No
Apr 7, 2016 5:54 AM
Nov 2014
I actually really liked this, and that scene after the ED was surprising.
Apr 7, 2016 6:02 AM

Mar 2008
Okay I'm still cringing the act that boy is 16 years old but aside from that, I loved first episode. Haru is really interesting, his voice is lovely and animation is pretty.
Apr 7, 2016 6:38 AM

Mar 2008
waterfallsxo said:

I think more people are turned off by Ren and Haru's age difference. It screams Boku no Pico to many people.

looks like more ppl 'love' watching BnP lol.
Seems like more ppl like to judge early just from a few eps is kinda funny and to even mention/compare SL with boku no pico is even funnier xD

Apr 7, 2016 6:39 AM

Dec 2014
My first yaoi anime, hope this is good.

I don't really care about whether the show is great or not, or if this is apparently pedophilia, I just want to see a good romance.
Apr 7, 2016 7:30 AM
Jul 2018
Haganeproductio said:
I'm seriously laughing at all the people mentioning Boku no Pico. Sweet Jesus.

I think any remotely gay-ish young-looking anime boy is gonna get compared to that. =_= Wish it'd just die already...

Helenus said:
atrophaneurae said:

QFT.

But yeah, there's a time skip and then Ren's in high school, if I recall correctly? It's still quite an age gap but he's a teenager at least... (though he is small for his age so he looks perpetually 12 years old... =_=)

That wasn't a problem when all these ReyxNagisa doujins popped up the inernet in 2013 while a certain swimming anime aired :D

Splash free!

I understand what you mean, though.

At least Rei and Nagisa were the same age though! I think that made it more acceptable in people's eyes.

I feel like people complain about this genre because there's definitely a lot of risque or taboo stuff, or just general weirdness, like Junjou rape x_x, Sex Pistols and its weirdness lol, huge age gaps in Kirepapa and some other OVA...
Apr 7, 2016 7:37 AM

May 2015
Ioryogi-kun said:
His birth mother is Haruko, the woman who is living with Ren in Canada. The couple who greet him back in the airport in japan are his real father and step mother.

Thanks! Now I understand better so the ones in Canada were his mother, stepfather and the cleaning lady? xD
Apr 7, 2016 8:14 AM

Oct 2011
Truly some twisted people in this thread.

Aside from the obvious terrible aspects of this episode, the backgrounds are quite nice and DEEN seems to be putting more effort into their animation these days. It's only 10 episodes so I don't see myself dropping this.
Apr 7, 2016 8:17 AM

Apr 2015
This was pretty cute to watch! But the age difference kinda makes me wish this was more of a bromance...
Apr 7, 2016 8:22 AM
Oct 2014
For me, the difference between this and something like Boku no Pico is that in BnP (from what I recall) it's supposed to be filthy, taboo, wrong, etc. While in SP the adult man with a sexual desire for his ,freshman in high-school, adoptive brother (whom he's known since the brother was 8, regardless of blood relation), is being portrayed as some beautiful love story.

I think I'd be on board if: 1) the younger guy wasn't still a minor when they met, or at least "became a couple", 2) there wasn't a family relation, or 3) it didn't try to sell their relationship as a sweet love story.

I'm gonna give it a few episodes because this has a decent reputation and I'm yet to find a great gay love story in anime so I'm taking what I can get.
VarsApr 7, 2016 8:32 AM
Apr 7, 2016 8:38 AM

Nov 2011
ALRIGHT YA'LL LISTEN UP BECAUSE I AM GOING TO EXPLAIN SOME THINGS.

This is pedophilia, and after the timeskip it's still hebephilia. Him 'waiting for him to age'? That's not cute or noble or anything. Considering he is raising the kid, this is what we call 'grooming'. Here is a link describing the 5 stages of grooming. You will notice how it fits this show to a T. http://www.drphil.com/articles/article/704

I am 100% positive many of you fangirls will try to argue that "NOOO HE'S NOT LIKE THAT HE WASN'T TRYING TO PREY ON HIM HE FELL IN LOVE". Yeah no it doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not, you absolutely cannot, in your heart of hearts, deny that this is grooming. Especially considering Ren is already a traumatized and damaged child? Ren is the literal PERFECT victim for grooming.

Some of you will argue "OH BUT HE WAITED TILL HE WAS A LITTLE OLDER IT'S OKAY!" He kissed him on the lips when he was 8 and he knew DAMN WELL it wasn't a normal custom for a man to kiss a young boy. Also hello that isn't a North American or Canadian custom anyway.

I also want to point out that, no matter what may happen in THIS series, in real life, once Ren became an adult Haru would no longer have any sexual interest in him whatsoever. Pedophilia is, in laymen's terms, a sexual orientation. One cannot help the fact that they are sexually attracted to children/adolescents. The fact that, even as a teen, Ren still looks like a child (and likely has yet to hit puberty) adds to Haru's continued attraction to him.

I'd also like to note I skimmed some of the manga, and at the pace Haru eases Ren into sexual activity, starting with just sleeping in the same bed as him- it is not him being a romantic gentleman. It's him making a child feel comfortable with the sexual molestation, steps 4-5.

More information on child grooming:
http://www.naasca.org/2012-Articles/040512-GroomingWillingVictims.htm

Argue all you want, little yaoi fangirls. But this is a disgusting unhealthy relationship that fits the concept of grooming to a T and in your hearts of hearts I know I have struck a chord. Please stop supporting abusive relationships by supporting degrading and harmful garbage like this. They keep making this crap because you all keep consuming it. Find healthy yaoi series, I know they are out there. Popularize THOSE, get THOSE to have adaptations. Make those the norm. Not this.

Those of you who still think pedophilia is okay if it's two males, I encourage you to read up on NAMBLA. Perhaps you belong there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Man/Boy_Love_Association
Apr 7, 2016 8:43 AM

Mar 2015
Amberleh said:
ALRIGHT YA'LL LISTEN UP BECAUSE I AM GOING TO EXPLAIN SOME THINGS.

This is pedophilia, and after the timeskip it's still hebephilia. Him 'waiting for him to age'? That's not cute or noble or anything. Considering he is raising the kid, this is what we call 'grooming'. Here is a link describing the 5 stages of grooming. You will notice how it fits this show to a T. http://www.drphil.com/articles/article/704

I am 100% positive many of you fangirls will try to argue that "NOOO HE'S NOT LIKE THAT HE WASN'T TRYING TO PREY ON HIM HE FELL IN LOVE". Yeah no it doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not, you absolutely cannot, in your heart of hearts, deny that this is grooming. Especially considering Ren is already a traumatized and damaged child? Ren is the literal PERFECT victim for grooming.

Some of you will argue "OH BUT HE WAITED TILL HE WAS A LITTLE OLDER IT'S OKAY!" He kissed him on the lips when he was 8 and he knew DAMN WELL it wasn't a normal custom for a man to kiss a young boy. Also hello that isn't a North American or Canadian custom anyway.

I also want to point out that, no matter what may happen in THIS series, in real life, once Ren became an adult Haru would no longer have any sexual interest in him whatsoever. Pedophilia is, in laymen's terms, a sexual orientation. One cannot help the fact that they are sexually attracted to children/adolescents. The fact that, even as a teen, Ren still looks like a child (and likely has yet to hit puberty) adds to Haru's continued attraction to him.

I'd also like to note I skimmed some of the manga, and at the pace Haru eases Ren into sexual activity, starting with just sleeping in the same bed as him- it is not him being a romantic gentleman. It's him making a child feel comfortable with the sexual molestation, steps 4-5.

More information on child grooming:
http://www.naasca.org/2012-Articles/040512-GroomingWillingVictims.htm

Argue all you want, little yaoi fangirls. But this is a disgusting unhealthy relationship that fits the concept of grooming to a T and in your hearts of hearts I know I have struck a chord. Please stop supporting abusive relationships by supporting degrading and harmful garbage like this. They keep making this crap because you all keep consuming it. Find healthy yaoi series, I know they are out there. Popularize THOSE, get THOSE to have adaptations. Make those the norm. Not this.

Those of you who still think pedophilia is okay if it's two males, I encourage you to read up on NAMBLA. Perhaps you belong there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Man/Boy_Love_Association

LISTEN BECAUSE I'LL EXPLAIN SOMETHING TO YOU:

N O B O D Y C A R E S!

Now go back to the ranting feminists on tumblr...
Apr 7, 2016 9:54 AM
Jul 2018
JFC. I see someone didn't even bother watching the episode. Haru doesn't see Ren as anything but a little kid (at this point anyway). It'll be obvious in the next episode because
Apr 7, 2016 10:06 AM

Mar 2015
atrophaneurae said:
JFC. I see someone didn't even bother watching the episode. Haru doesn't see Ren as anything but a little kid (at this point anyway). It'll be obvious in the next episode because

That is true. Although the reason is quite - how should I put it? - medical?
Apr 7, 2016 10:16 AM
Jul 2018
Helenus said:
atrophaneurae said:

I guess you can say that. It's certainly understandable, given the circumstances. Btw, Helenus, you only add yaoi/fujoshi bait shows to your list?? I'm raiding it now for titles to watch. :3
Apr 7, 2016 10:44 AM

Apr 2014
I might've been traumatized by all the bad Yaoi, Yuri, Shounen Ai and Shoujo Manga I've read along the way, but this is actually one of the good ones out there hence why it's really popular internationally and in Japan. Sure some aspects are irky and could've been better left out. But overall it's definitely not pedophilia or Ren getting abused by any of them and doesn't deserve the complains and the horrible ANN reviews. It was Haru and his family who showed him the outside world, who took care of him, who helped overcome his trauma and who made him happy for the first time after he lost his parents. Haru never pressured Ren into anything. Their bond at first was merely one of two close brothers. And no it's no pedophilia. Bc if it is thx for saying my lesbian sister (who is 6 years older than me) and I are in that kind of relationship and she is pedo. She used to kiss me when we were younger before going to sleep saying I was cute and even now we are pretty close and hug daily and I used to sleep in her bed all the time. It's pretty normal for close siblings. Just saying.

Anyway back to the plot. It was Ren who wanted more than a pure brother bond and who fell for Haru. Just like how in a lot of Shoujo Manga the female character fell for her 8 year older (asshole) step brother or for her adoptive brother whom she is very close to or a guy who later turns out to be her (step) brother whom she met 15 years ago or a 15 year older teacher, the love of her life, and something along those cliches. It happens all the time in romance manga and it's nothing new so why is it here different? Why is is worth mentioning and accusing Haru of being a pedo? Haru never pressured Ren into anything and he even forgot about him for years. He even refused Ren's moves a couple of time saying his feelings are only brotherly and his confession. He didn't want more and when he realised his feelings he tried to fight them. Even after dating, except for hugging, a few kisses once in a blue moon and sleeping together (which is normal for a couple or even some siblings), he never once laid his hands on Ren or forced him himself on him. No, even when Ren tried to give him a BJ he pushed him away saying he is still too young. Or when Ren tries to have sex with him (he grew pretty desperate at the age of 17) he stands by his morals and beliefs and flats out tells him "no, only when you are fully ready and grown up", unlike a lot of other Manga characters who give in halfway - much to Ren's displease I must add. They are just in love and that's that, there is nothing more and they aren't even doing anything that comes remarkable close to Biko No Pico. The furthest they have gone was a Handjob which is considerably slow progress at that age where students usually already have sex with younger or older ppl. Like me with a 20 year old experienced guy (I was 14 back then), but o/c let's say it not normal and we are all angels who have never dated older ppl. It's gross.

So for all the ppl who have complains, you should all read the manga first before accusing it of something that isn't there. This is literally one of the most slowly,, well developed, bitter sweetly progressing Yaoi/Shounen Ai's out there which till now didn't even lead to the sex scene ppl are freaking out about.

The only thing that sucks is that Ren looks so young for his age, but I can't say anything against that as I look like 15 for a 22 year old girl and my boyfriend is 25.
lov_lymjApr 7, 2016 11:04 AM
Apr 7, 2016 10:51 AM

Mar 2010
It's my first time trying this genre.
The animation was good and the light comedy ok I guess, I did thought it was cute
Let's hope the drama unfolds in a good way
Apr 7, 2016 11:08 AM

Mar 2015
atrophaneurae said:
Helenus said:

I guess you can say that. It's certainly understandable, given the circumstances. Btw, Helenus, you only add yaoi/fujoshi bait shows to your list?? I'm raiding it now for titles to watch. :3

Yes, BL is my guilty pleasure to be honest.

I started watching anime ~ 3 years ago and have seen quite a lot of shows of different genres. But I usually only update my yaoi titles on mal.

Feel free to use my list to your hearts content! :D
Apr 7, 2016 11:47 AM

Sep 2015
Lu-Ru said:
Ioryogi-kun said:
His birth mother is Haruko, the woman who is living with Ren in Canada. The couple who greet him back in the airport in japan are his real father and step mother.

Thanks! Now I understand better so the ones in Canada were his mother, stepfather and the cleaning lady? xD

Nooo--- The ones in Canada are Haruko, and her neighbour who owns a ranch nearby and married a japanese woman (she's the one bringing soup when Haru caught a cold). Plus five giant dogs whose names I don't remember except for Quark XD
Ioryogi-kunApr 7, 2016 11:53 AM
Apr 7, 2016 12:49 PM

Feb 2014
I watched it and i have mixed feelings.
The animation is good and the pacing is also solid.
The characters epsecially Haru are really likable but the problem is the BL undertone.
The thing that disgusts me is not the BL itself but the fact they start out as brothers even non biological and probably proceed to being lovers.

If they kept it just without the Shounen ai this series would be soooo much better
Gonna watch the next episode simply because of the ending.
Apr 7, 2016 1:41 PM

Oct 2009

when you want to get away from all the fujos but still want your onigiri
Apr 7, 2016 1:51 PM

Feb 2014
That was creepy and uncomfortable af. Dude was like a full on child-groomer ):
Apr 7, 2016 3:19 PM

Dec 2010
I'm not into BL, but thanks to some fuss created i decide to watch it. :)

Age gap, reap, lolis, etc... everything don't affect me since is fictional, and for me fictional = not real = eveything allowed.

So kudo on this girl to create a manga that made some sjw mad. :D
Apr 7, 2016 4:20 PM

Dec 2015
I personally really enjoyed the first episode of this anime, and really looking forward to find out what happens next. Heck, I might just check out the manga while I'm at it! :)
"Strength isn’t just about winning. Even if my attempts are pathetic and comical, and even if I’m covered in the mud of my defeat, if I can keep fighting and look up at the sky as I lie on the ground, that alone is proof of true strength!"
~ Haruyuki Arita (Accel World)
Apr 7, 2016 5:11 PM

Nov 2014
LOOOOVE the manga so much i'm so happy this is now an anime too! The animation was great, the pacing was great! For a moment there i thought "oh shit why are they playing happy bgm when he met up with his parents that's really gonna be awkward if they end it at that" so even though the after credits scene was surprising, it's still so good! The OP was very very catchy too i love it!!

I'm not really creeped out with the age gap and stuff, having read the manga (where there's a lot more explanation as to why they feel/do stuff the way they do) there's a valid explanation? especially for Haru's case. Like if you just take his actions at face value of course it's going to come off as perverted but even he himself comes at a point where he thinks about what he's doing haha.

I can't wait to hear the other seiyuus in character!
Apr 7, 2016 5:15 PM

Mar 2015
Calling it now: this will get a second season really fast. It's a gut feeling.
Apr 7, 2016 6:46 PM

Jun 2010
You know, you're saying we're being paranoid here and I'd agree if it weren't for: THIS IS A SHOUNEN-AI MANGA. These moments, with them sleeping together or kissing are thought as to entice the fangirls and let them know the characters are going to be a couple later. It has a clear intention of showing it as something romantic or cute, that's what's not ok.

I consider myself a fujoshi but this show's undertones with the adult/kid interactions this episode made me feel uncomfortable. And that's because if the kid were older, if he were idk 17, the interactions would be THE SAME. Haru would still have kissed Ren and DEEN would have added a blush just to make it more clear. So no, we're not being paranoid here. And yes, the manga could be good whatsoever but the way it was portrayed in this episode was totally not ok.

So I'm dropping it, I won't be hating on it everyweek whatsoever.

I hope the fans enjoy the adaptation.
Apr 7, 2016 7:23 PM
Jan 2014
it's kind of fast but i still love it since i love the manga so much >__< Next episode i can finally see the twin <3<3<3
Apr 7, 2016 8:09 PM
Jun 2009
I'm a real gay person who has real gay sex, has a yaoi manga shelf, has attended YaoiCon three times, and I found this episode creepy.

People who have read the manga need to realize what people who have not read the manga see when they see this episode:

1. A uke who is not of legal age basically anywhere.
2. A kid with a troubled past that strongly implies (but does not directly state) sexual abuse, since he calls Haru a hentai and seems to relate his trauma with people being nice to him.
3. The visuals launching Haru into Super Bishounen Seme mode when proposing they sleep together.

It's creepy. It's creepy NOT because it's a same-sex relationship, but because it strongly implies a sort of predator image that gay people have faced injustices for more than half a century and in many places (i.e. Russia, which justifies it's anti-gay laws with "protecting children") they still do. And on top of that there are small pockets of such creepy people in the world, and when you blow off people's reactions with "don't you know age doesn't matter?" you're unintentionally enabling them. It's also kind of creepy because a number of shots of the pair together (in bed, even in the end credits) show the uke basically looking uncomfortable and awkward, which undermines any sense that it's an equal relationship.

I'm glad I came to this thread, heard of a time skip, etc. Because if this show continued along without one, I'd watch three episodes in increasing discomfort and drop.
secretbossfightApr 7, 2016 8:17 PM
Apr 7, 2016 9:10 PM

Sep 2012
Wait so he is an orphan...who visits his mom in Canada who adopts kids...but it's actually his real mom so he's not an orphan (?)...but he has a family in Japan who adopted him...?

What the literal fuck is this guy's family
Apr 7, 2016 9:54 PM

Mar 2008
Some ppl just like being a moral police here uh? well, there's always this rules of 'don't like, don't watch' eh...well, just saying...:3
aisokaApr 7, 2016 10:00 PM

Apr 7, 2016 10:03 PM

Jan 2014
Xenocrisi said:
Cody said:
I'm surprised Stark didn't create this topic.

He hates Shounen-Ai/Yaoi anime

Good. He can stay away lol
Apr 7, 2016 10:07 PM

Dec 2009
Lu-Ru said:
Can someone explain the family tree? How many parents does Haru have?

That was my big question too. I have no idea who's who in regards to Haru's family. Other than that I really liked this first episode. Ren is adorable and Haru is like the perfect big brother. Didn't see the tragic ending with the car crash coming though :l
Apr 7, 2016 10:15 PM

Jan 2014
I started reading the manga a few years back, never finished it and then suddenly saw this anime and thought it looked familiar so here I am. ~
Apr 7, 2016 10:16 PM

Jan 2014
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
Lu-Ru said:

That was my big question too. I have no idea who's who in regards to Haru's family. Other than that I really liked this first episode. Ren is adorable and Haru is like the perfect big brother. Didn't see the tragic ending with the car crash coming though :l

Haru's biological mother lives in Canada with Ren and his biological father lives in Japan with his step mother. At least, I think. It's been awhile since I read the manga.
Apr 7, 2016 11:35 PM

Sep 2014
So,... I watched this episode because of the comments in this thread, and I think it wasn't that bad. Looking forward for it, although it's not my type of show.
Apr 7, 2016 11:58 PM

Oct 2011
OMG so cute. Love Haru and Ren's family bonding

Dat ending OMFG NOOOOO T___T
Apr 8, 2016 1:24 AM

Sep 2011
Ahh, this was so good. I forgot how much they pushed the brotherness in the beginning ha which gave me too much insect vibes. I love this mangaka so much, but I'm all for the shounen-ai and drama which it has plenty of. Not a yaoi fan so I've only had to skip a couple pages. Very beautiful to see!
Apr 8, 2016 1:39 AM

Aug 2012
This episode felt rushed, but I really like it so far.

But damn, I wasn't expecting that ending. Woah o.o
Apr 8, 2016 1:40 AM

Aug 2012
kurapikasass said:
Aiko_Hiroshi said:

Haru's biological mother lives in Canada with Ren and his biological father lives in Japan with his step mother. At least, I think. It's been awhile since I read the manga.

It seems that way for me.
Apr 8, 2016 6:03 AM

Oct 2013
I like all the chibi and cutie moments.

The tugging heart moments like haru's eyes like flowers and the brotherly cuddle moments.
Apr 8, 2016 6:40 AM

Nov 2014
Lu-Ru said:

Haruko (Haru's biological mother) + Haru's Dad = Haru. They got divorced. Haru's dad remarried, had 2 more kids (Aki and Shima). Haruko adopted Ren (she felt bad about Ren and i think in the manga she mentions she was curious why a Japanese kid was left in a Canadian orphanage)

I don't see what's creepy to be honest. Haru even mentions in the manga
Apr 8, 2016 10:23 AM
Dec 2015
secretbossfight said:
I'm a real gay person who has real gay sex, has a yaoi manga shelf, has attended YaoiCon three times, and I found this episode creepy.

People who have read the manga need to realize what people who have not read the manga see when they see this episode:

2. A kid with a troubled past that strongly implies (but does not directly state) sexual abuse, since he calls Haru a hentai and seems to relate his trauma with people being nice to him.
3. The visuals launching Haru into Super Bishounen Seme mode when proposing they sleep together.

It's creepy. It's creepy NOT because it's a same-sex relationship, but because it strongly implies a sort of predator image that gay people have faced injustices for more than half a century and in many places (i.e. Russia, which justifies it's anti-gay laws with "protecting children") they still do. And on top of that there are small pockets of such creepy people in the world, and when you blow off people's reactions with "don't you know age doesn't matter?" you're unintentionally enabling them. It's also kind of creepy because a number of shots of the pair together (in bed, even in the end credits) show the uke basically looking uncomfortable and awkward, which undermines any sense that it's an equal relationship.

I'm glad I came to this thread, heard of a time skip, etc. Because if this show continued along without one, I'd watch three episodes in increasing discomfort and drop.

Now, I respect your decision and agree on some points.

But let me tell you this, Haru is not a pervert. Heck, you'll see the reason why he's so clingy here in the future episodes when you meet his brothers. What he did in this episode are still on the safe side and pure brother-type of love. Even the twins did not escape this when they were younger.

Also, Ren looking "comfortable and awkward" is his nature!! It's not just with Haru, you'll understand that the rare smile in this episode will be first and last one you'll see and that is because of his past. No, he did not get sexually assaulted, it's human trafficking.

Also, the comedy of the series is with Ren being this socially awkward kid who can't manage a simple smile or Hello and Haru, the childishly older brother, family-oriented airhead when it comes to people around him.
Apr 8, 2016 11:46 AM
Oct 2009
Sokah said:
16 and 24 is pedophilia most places in the world and will get you thrown in jail. Even just for watching it, let alone doing it. Although it's a boy being raped, not a girl so it's "romantic" rather than horrifying.

Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere but age of consent in USA and Canada is 16, so it's not pedophilia by law nor by psychology, and in Japan it's 13 so no, nobody's going to jail.

As for the anime itself, I have not read the manga so I don't know what direction it's going. Found it pretty tame so far except for the kiss that even I was a bit weirded out by.
Apr 8, 2016 11:46 AM

Jun 2015
After just hearing the title I did not thought it would be that fun to watch.

I grew up with three big dogs so that was a sentimental trip back to the times when they were my best friends and we spent all days outdoors. ;D
Apr 8, 2016 12:38 PM
Oct 2014
secretbossfight said:

I'm glad someone else is in the same boat as me, people give this series a great reputation because some aspects of the story are actually interesting but when it comes down to it, it's the same predator/victim dynamic from endless yaoi titles with a TON of rationalization thrown in so people feel better about it.
Apr 8, 2016 12:39 PM

Nov 2011
Not offensive enough, I'll keep watching
Baby, daijobanai...
Apr 8, 2016 12:56 PM
Jul 2015
This anime is going to be great! I'm already hooked.

The animation was surprisingly good and Haru and Ren are so adorable.
MarnieApr 8, 2016 1:02 PM
Apr 8, 2016 1:48 PM

Mar 2015
Vars said:
secretbossfight said:

I'm glad someone else is in the same boat as me, people give this series a great reputation because some aspects of the story are actually interesting but when it comes down to it, it's the same predator/victim dynamic from endless yaoi titles with a TON of rationalization thrown in so people feel better about it.

Why do SJWs even bother to watch this kind of shows? Just to have something to nag about? It is beyond my comprehension :D

I'm just glad Japan doesn't give a *beep* about complains from the West. The sales in Japan count. Not how Western feminazis see this show :D
HelenusApr 8, 2016 2:12 PM
Apr 8, 2016 2:11 PM
Jun 2009
Rio_Pascua said:

Now, I respect your decision and agree on some points.

But let me tell you this, Haru is not a pervert. Heck, you'll see the reason why he's so clingy here in the future episodes when you meet his brothers. What he did in this episode are still on the safe side and pure brother-type of love. Even the twins did not escape this when they were younger.

Also, Ren looking "comfortable and awkward" is his nature!! It's not just with Haru, you'll understand that the rare smile in this episode will be first and last one you'll see and that is because of his past. No, he did not get sexually assaulted, it's human trafficking.

Also, the comedy of the series is with Ren being this socially awkward kid who can't manage a simple smile or Hello and Haru, the childishly older brother, family-oriented airhead when it comes to people around him.

I understand some of this when I posted, for the most part I was trying to get the people who read the manga and have the future knowledge some understanding of what it looks like when you watch this episode only. If you know nothing about the upcoming story and watch this episode it has these weird overtones and hinted-at but never revealed plot points that a reasonable person could assume something distasteful.

For the most part, though, the first couple pages looked like people who never read the manga saying "boku no pico, nuff said" and people who had read the manga posting "baka!" rants in response. I just wanted to put the criticism into better words than just a quick BNP reference, and get into the subtext of why it was bothering me.

Helenus said:
Why do SJWs even bother to watch this kind of shows? Just to have something to nag about? It is beyond my comprehension :D

Is that the best you've got? I'm hardly an SJW since I practically support the sexualization of everything so long as it's consensual.
I watch "these kinds of shows" because they're one of the few ways to see something relatable in anime. There's nothing wrong with having personal taste, anyone who knows this stuff knows that fujoshi-targeted shows have a lot of rape and other themes that do not depict a healthy relationship and it gets discussed frequently in online discussions as well as live panels at cons. It is fine for fans to discuss this stuff. I'm also a DMMD fan but don't like the rape in that story. Oddly enough, even though it features big muscular bear-men (not my taste), bara often has a lot more consent and a lot less abusive themes; but it also makes no real attempt to show any kind of romance or relationship beyond bangin' for the sake of bangin'. That's why I watch shounen-ai.

Discussion is healthy.
secretbossfightApr 8, 2016 2:40 PM
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Super Lovers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Apr 13, 2016

79 by renandharu_ »»
Sep 12, 2023 3:02 AM

Poll: » Super Lovers Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jun 8, 2016

58 by Angesubaru »»
Jun 16, 2023 8:09 AM

» How explicit is this?

GreyStoneFlinger - Dec 12, 2022

7 by NekoKyan- »»
Dec 16, 2022 7:52 PM

Poll: » Super Lovers Episode 3 Discussion

tsubasalover - Apr 20, 2016

40 by Yuwka »»
Nov 6, 2022 2:50 AM

Poll: » Super Lovers Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jun 1, 2016

70 by Opor97 »»
Jul 18, 2021 7:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.