Forum Settings
Forums

General Discussion About History (Anyone interested in History here too?)

New
Mar 19, 2016 11:25 PM

Jan 2016
Whether it is World History or your Nation's history..... anyone here who are interested in it like me?

I like learning and also being *entertained* by reading about past events. Also historical knowledge is never a bad thing to have.

--

Which are you the most interested in ?

I am certainly interested in the rulers of nations. I have fun reading and learning about this stuff. Especially Great Britain's.

--

Additional Question: Do you have a favorite era? A favorite figure from that said era?

Mine is Japanese Sengoku Jidai and Oda Nobunaga as my favorite from that era.

--

Also, feel free to add anything about history not covered in the questions I posted above.
Mar 19, 2016 11:44 PM

Dec 2015
History is very important to know because it can prevent you from making the same mistakes that once had a huge impact on the world. If those guys remembered what was the direct cause of the great depression for example 2008 wouldn't have been such a disaster economically. I think it's a lot of fun to learn about how societies from ages ago used to live and reflect their world to ours.

I don't have a favorite era but I do have favorite events like for example the battles of termophylae and Chi Bi. Sadly I can't remember everything I once knew about those events.
Mar 20, 2016 12:05 AM
Mar 2016
yeah, I like it

->Which are you the most interested in ?

the day to day lives of people in the past, including peasants, warriors, craftsmen, and their rulers

->Additional Question: Do you have a favorite era? A favorite figure from that said era?

1800s Europe, probably. toss up between Napoleon Bonaparte and Kaiser Wilhelm I
Mar 20, 2016 12:22 AM

Sep 2011
I've always had an interest in history, though it wasn't until recently that I became more active in my learning.

My main areas of interest are (currently) the history of religions and U.S. political history-- in particular about the key figures in the Judicial and Legislative branches.

I'm not sure I have a favorite time period, but I could probably have no problem reading endlessly of the ancient Greco-Roman world.
Mar 20, 2016 12:23 AM

Nov 2015

anything war,economics, politics, day to day lives of people

Additional Question: Do you have a favorite era? A favorite figure from that said era?

not really although European history in general is probably my favorite. as long as it's not Australian history then it's interesting
Mar 20, 2016 12:54 AM

May 2015
History is one of my greatest interest, and I strongly consider studying it in college.

Clash of cultures, warfare, and exploration and discovery.

The Age of Discovery in general, but especially the Conquistador Era in America and the Sengoku Jidai in Japan. My favorite character from the conquistador is probably Gonzalo Jimenez de Quesada, the guy who found El Dorado. Form Sengoku Jidai, its Toyotomi Hideyoshi (Hideyoshi > Nobunaga OP, fight me)
Mar 20, 2016 1:06 AM

Sep 2015
My favourite historical moment was no doubt in the Edo era of Japan, 2004, when Captain Cooke fended off the Nordic invasion of Japan with naught but his army of Australian aborigines. A classic moment, in which I wish I could have witnessed with my own eyes, no doubt about it.

A pair of eyes appear disguised,
I take flight and stay high in paradise,
With bad luck, snake eyes, a pair of dice.
I'm paralyzed, she speaks twice, a pair of lies,
It's parallel, apparent hell of parasites.
ask for discord server
Mar 20, 2016 9:27 AM

Aug 2012
I just want to see The Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Mesopotamia was such a great civilization. I mainly like the middle ages though.
Mar 20, 2016 9:48 AM

Sep 2015
Always loved history, and took it as one of my course at college.

When growing up I was mostly interested in Chinese history - specifically, the Three Kingdoms era. This was spurred on my by playing of the Dynasty Warriors games. After finding out that they were (loosely) based on a real time period - albeit a romanticised version - it made me want to check it out and learn all I could about it.

Then in college I ended up studying UK from the 1800s, America from the 1910s-60s, Russia from 1890-1960, Germany 1914-50, China in the 1900s with a few tidbits from earlier centuries.

Was always my favourite subject. Anime has since spurred my interest into Japanese history, especially the Sengoku era.
Middle Ages was worth a mention too. Always loved knights and castles and the like.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 25, 2016 1:38 PM
Jul 2015
Almost everything before Medieval just doesn't interest me. The next part made me like history although I admit I'm not so good at that subject, I didn't like it when I was in my home country, I only did the general part of my country's history skipping the details and I felt like it's just some general knowledge and I feel I didn't really learn anything interesting. But when I moved to Europe, it became interesting, from medieval and afterwards.
This is how I started to doubt religions. Crusades and Abuse of Indulgence are example, when I was younger I thought every religious person is 'good' especially everyone living in Vatican city and noone has done a sin. Oh boy, how naive was I.
Consequently, Renaissance and Age of Enlightenment became my favorite eras. I loved how people became 'curious' and they tend to reason rather to be ignorant about believing in their religion. Oh and being tortured by clergy because you proved your point that a religious teaching is wrong?
Hahaha. I also like Romanticism art style; The freedom which guides the people and Man and woman in contemplation of the moon (?) Are the best. I don't know what the names are in english, I only know them in Italian xD
Favourite event was the French Revolution, favorite figure is Napoleon Bonaparte.
Also an assassin's creed player, so it's more enjoyable to play it when you actually understand what's going on :p
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 25, 2016 2:24 PM

Jun 2015
I love history, it's extremely interesting and rewarding. I also understand what you mean by calling it entertaining op.

I love reading about different empires, like the Roman empire or the British empire.
Mar 25, 2016 2:27 PM

Nov 2015
I used to read a lot of history but then I lost interest for some reason. I knew most about Crusades but all that knowledge disappeared somewhere and only traces of those remain.
Mar 25, 2016 2:32 PM

May 2014
Duskie said:
My favourite historical moment was no doubt in the Edo era of Japan, 2004, when Captain Cooke fended off the Nordic invasion of Japan with naught but his army of Australian aborigines. A classic moment, in which I wish I could have witnessed with my own eyes, no doubt about it.

I heard they were gonna make a film with Russell Crowe as Captain Cooke directed by Ridley Scot, can't wait to see it.

Ot; I kinda try to know everything about history, I find it crazy to live your life without knowing what came before and what might came ahead, its like living in a mist
I've been here way too long...
Mar 25, 2016 3:42 PM
Oct 2014
History is my favourite subject. I've been studying it at the university. I am very interested economic and social history specifically.
I have also always lived very close to my own history. I did spend a lot of time as a child with my grandparants, and they told me everything about the war and how it was when they were young. They used to tell me about our ancestors, too. I guess that is how my interest for history was born.

I am a Swedish Scandinavian, so my main focus has always been Scandinavia and its people. Also, other Theedish countries such as Germany's and England's history interests me. Then of course, I keep an eye on Russia's, France, Japan, China and Iran. Iran is a country which has catched my interest quite recently.

My favourite era is definitly during the time we had social estates in this country. 1521 - 1866. The Early Modern Era for Sweden, you could say. Many interesting events took place then. The Reformation, Thirty year's war, Whitch hunting, Great Northern War, Age of Liberty, Agrarian Revolution, etc, etc.
The social structure of the society back then were very strict, but still the Nobility was weaker here than on the Continent and the Clergy were seen as commoners. Commoners overall had a quite strong position, in comparison to Europe.

Mar 25, 2016 4:11 PM

Jul 2012
I love reading up on history, be it the military tactics during WW2 or the toilet humour in the Pompeii graffiti. Recently I've been interested in the 30 Years' War and medieval Ethiopia.

Fuzzywuz_zy said:
Consequently, Renaissance and Age of Enlightenment became my favorite eras. I loved how people became 'curious' and they tend to reason rather to be ignorant about believing in their religion.
You know, many (if not most) of the Renaissance and Enlightenment thinkers didn't abandon religion even when they started to argue in favor of using reason.

Rarusu_ said:
History is my favourite subject. I've been studying it at the university. I am very interested economic and social history specifically.
I have also always lived very close to my own history. I did spend a lot of time as a child with my grandparants, and they told me everything about the war and how it was when they were young. They used to tell me about our ancestors, too. I guess that is how my interest for history was born.
If I may inquire, what kind of stories did your grandparents tell you? Now that you mentioned it, I realized I've never really thought about how people experienced the war in a neutral country.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Mar 25, 2016 4:29 PM
Oct 2014
SleepingBear said:

If I may inquire, what kind of stories did your grandparents tell you? Now that you mentioned it, I realized I've never really thought about how people experienced the war in a neutral country.

It was very poor and barely. People had to live on what they had because there was almost no import from other countries. In my family they had coffe however, because they had relatives in America who sent them coffe. Fruit and vegetables were hard to get. Rumours say that they gave people meat from foxes and badgers instead of the usual.
All gasolin was taken by the state so it could be used in the military. Most men were in duty to guard the borders, and people were afraid all the time that the Germans would soon occupy the country. Germany had their tanks and Sweden still had horses.
The neighboring farmer here where we live was supportive of Hitler, and that was nothing unusual then. Although they were in minority. You weren't allowed to publically write badly of Hitler or the regime. It would get censored.

Many people from the neighboring Nordic countries lived as refugees here. Not as comfortable as today's refugees of course, they lived in barns, cellers and camps. Many of them worked on farms and such.

A little about what I've heard in short.

Mar 25, 2016 5:00 PM

Jul 2012
Rarusu_ said:
Interesting. No wonder that the amount of imports would plummet during the war. That coffee must've had quite a journey across the Atlantic. Interesting bit about the gasoline too. So the Swedish army was actually mobilized despite the official neutrality?

I've heard some speculation that Hitler might have invaded Sweden to secure its iron mines if USSR had successfully occupied Finland. No way to know for sure now though. At least I suppose German tanks would have had an easier time in Sweden than the Soviet ones did in Finland, I presume the infrastructure was a lot better in Sweden at the time. Horses still had their uses in warfare too, just not in combat: they were used a lot in the Winter War.

Sounds like the policy towards Hitler was pretty much the same as in Finland. Only a minority actually approved of him, while the state tried to keep the public relations good. I guess the refugees had work since the men were stationed at the border?
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Mar 25, 2016 5:44 PM
Oct 2014
SleepingBear said:
Interesting. No wonder that the amount of imports would plummet during the war. That coffee must've had quite a journey across the Atlantic. Interesting bit about the gasoline too. So the Swedish army was actually mobilized despite the official neutrality?

I've heard some speculation that Hitler might have invaded Sweden to secure its iron mines if USSR had successfully occupied Finland. No way to know for sure now though. At least I suppose German tanks would have had an easier time in Sweden than the Soviet ones did in Finland, I presume the infrastructure was a lot better in Sweden at the time. Horses still had their uses in warfare too, just not in combat: they were used a lot in the Winter War.

Sounds like the policy towards Hitler was pretty much the same as in Finland. Only a minority actually approved of him, while the state tried to keep the public relations good. I guess the refugees had work since the men were stationed at the border?

Ironically, Sweden exported food to Finland and iron to Germany.
The army was mobilised, and it was the only requirement from Germany (to not mobilise) which the Swedish government didn't follow. Another story, but from another side of the family, is from my maternal great grandfather who guarded the border to Norway during the war. A Norwegian girl was followed by some German soldiers, but as soon as she crossed the border to Sweden, they stopped following her - just like that.

I've heard that Hitler was 6 hours away from invading Sweden, but the government agreed to almost all requirements Germany had, so he changed his plans. It was more wise of him to let Sweden be, since otherwise the allies might have bombed important infrastructure in the country and the food export to Finland might have been threatened.
Especially Southern Sweden in provinces like Scania, it's very easy to land troops and tanks. It's not a Normandy with high cliffs exactly. Long beaches and then there is miles of flat fields.
Also, the Swedish army was so outdated at the time, that the German forces would have made the Swedish forces to look like WW1 is meeting WW2.

Absolutely, the refugees worked for sure, but I've never heard they complained either. It was taken for granted, and they were probably very grateful that they had a stay here. When the war was over, they all returned to their home countries.
Many Swedes had relatives in America, so I think for that reason most people supported the US and the other allies. Otherwise, Germany had the strongest cultural influence on Scandinavia until WW2. German was the first foreign language to learn, etc.
My grandfather had 3 cousins fighting in the war for the US in France. His father was a local politician here, having a seat in the municipal council. He worked with placing refugees and rationing of food, etc.

Mar 26, 2016 2:30 PM

Jul 2012
Rarusu_ said:
The Swedish iron ore exports seem to have influenced the decisions of both the Axis and the Allies quite a lot when it came to operations in Scandinavia. I've heard of more than one planned operation where the Allies intended to cut the trade route.

Well, no wonder the German soldiers didn't want to cause a border incident. Those have a tendency to get nasty. Probably a good call from Hitler to leave Sweden alone, he didn't do a lot of those during the war.

I didn't mean to imply that they had reason to complain, I thought it was interesting how Sweden could use the incoming refugees to compensate for the loss of workforce when most of the men were at the border. How did the sending of volunteers to Finland work when Sweden's own army was mobilized? Were the soldiers allowed to leave if they wanted to join the fight in Finland? Or were the volunteers not soldiers in the army to begin with?
Mar 26, 2016 2:39 PM

Jun 2015
I don't like history that much, people say it's to avoid making the same mistakes again, but people do it anyways.

Most interested in:

Probably WW2

Favorite Era:

Scientific Revolution
Mar 26, 2016 2:39 PM

May 2015
I used to be very big into history but I am not so much anymore. However, I've always been interested in war, both the politics and the strategies used in it. A lot of it is very gray, just like I like, and I enjoy figuring out who was really in the right and what would have happened if action A or B had not taken place.
Mar 26, 2016 3:16 PM

Mar 2016
I absolutely love History, and I own several History books on several periods in time. Most of those books are on the prohibition era though, since that is one of my favourite eras to read about. Especially the rise of the Mafia in the US is something I find very fascinating. I also love reading about the Romans, and have a few books on them as well.

I find the social aspect of History the most interesting, though I love political intrigue as well. I want to know what is was like for people to live in a certain era, for both the rich and the poor. I want to know what they felt, I want to know why they felt like that.

As far as history classes go, I love talking about pretty much everything, but the Enlightenment and French revolution is my favourite thing we discuss. (US Prohibition doesn't get discussed, since it had very little effect on my country.)
Mar 26, 2016 3:21 PM
Oct 2014
SleepingBear said:

I didn't mean to imply that they had reason to complain, I thought it was interesting how Sweden could use the incoming refugees to compensate for the loss of workforce when most of the men were at the border. How did the sending of volunteers to Finland work when Sweden's own army was mobilized? Were the soldiers allowed to leave if they wanted to join the fight in Finland? Or were the volunteers not soldiers in the army to begin with?

Nah, I know you didn't mean it that way. I was just thinking of how people would have reacted today - "they have to work"?

It's interesting when it comes to Finland, because during the Winter War, Sweden didn't declare itself neutral. We were a "non-fighting party". We were openly with the Finns, and supported them with food and guns, even troops, although those troops were volunteers of course. Similar case with Chinese troops during the Korea war.

From what I know, there were no problems to join the fight in Finland. I think Sweden at the time kinda saw the border Finland/Soviet as its own.

Mar 26, 2016 6:36 PM

Dec 2011
I love reading about the social and political aspects of history bc it's a way for me to understand how we live in the world that we do now.

My favorite to read about is art history, the way it combines a little of everything into one central work of art. It can reflect the individual's psyche, the collective ideas of a society, and then combine them with international relations and religious practices. To be a little more specific, Impressionism, Post-Impressionism and Expressionism were one of my favorites to learn about. Their respective ideologies influenced each other but at the same time they rejected the previous eras that came before entirely. I used to dislike the work of Claude Monet but now I've got deep respect for the guy.
Mar 27, 2016 9:35 AM
Jul 2015
SleepingBear said:

Fuzzywuz_zy said:
Consequently, Renaissance and Age of Enlightenment became my favorite eras. I loved how people became 'curious' and they tend to reason rather to be ignorant about believing in their religion.
You know, many (if not most) of the Renaissance and Enlightenment thinkers didn't abandon religion even when they started to argue in favor of using reason

Yep, I know it. I just think it's great that believing to something isn't a barrier to explore new things. What I studied in those two eras, showed me that.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

More topics from this board

» What does your username mean?

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

41 by MasterTasuke »»
2 minutes ago

» There's a tomato among us (•ิ_•ิ)?

tsukareru - 2 hours ago

5 by Absurdo_N »»
22 minutes ago

» How much IQ points do you lose when you interact with people in real life?

LenRea - Yesterday

19 by ST63LTH »»
1 hour ago

» I might be going away for awhile

The-Nsider - 12 hours ago

18 by ST63LTH »»
1 hour ago

» Oddly specific thing in your house that isn't really hurting you but it's super annoying to deal with?

StrawberryBlxxd - 12 hours ago

15 by ST63LTH »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.