Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 10, 2016 1:09 PM

Jun 2010
Alright, I'm probably going to sound like an idiot, but...

What is Gintama about?

Seriously, I seem to recall it being about the Earth being invaded by aliens and the samurai being some of the few non-complacent people, ones that didn't agree the aliens to rule their world. So they fought against that.

Right? That was the case at some point, right?

But I'm watching these drama-filled arcs of recent and I'm getting increasingly confused. I mean, Gintama sure can do drama, those are some intense fights, some potent reveals, some dramatic sh*t. I dig that, don't get me wrong. But there are SO MANY SIDES apparently.

I thought it was like this:

a) Gintoki. He fought in a war against them aliens and it kinda broke his spirit, so he has become a lazy disillusioned bum, but he still believes in the sword and doing the right thing. He's just not interested in protecting or openly fighting against the tyrants.

b) Shinsengumi. The police of this world, who don't really believe the alien invadors are cool, but they are all about protecting the peace of normal folk who have to live under such overlords. They maintain the status quo because if conflict were to escalate, God knows how many innocent people would lose everything.

c) Joi Rebels. Those are the goofballs who openly fight against the establishment and wish to see the aliens gone. Led by Zura (*someone yells a catchphrase*), another war-veteran and Gintoki's less-disillusioned old pal, they intend on making an "Earth For Humans" sort of world.

d) Evil Guy. You know, the one who fought with Katsura and Gintoki in the war and who was throughout all those hundreds of episodes constantly made into the villain behind all villains and the evil incarnate, the ultimate bad guy - and who was "just kidding'd" randomly a few episodes back? That guy. He was, as I saw it, an extreme case of a rebel, wishing pretty much what the Joi Rebels did, but caring not if "resetting the world" would harm millions. He and his weird but always ominous crew would wish to obliterate the world if need be to get rid of the aliens and their allies.

But I have no freakin' idea what the hell now, because I've barely seen any aliens for quite a while now, the Shogun was a human and apparently not at all a bad guy, and the number of factions in this huge conflict is only matched by the number of traitors from other factions sneaking into all of those factions... I'm so confused. I appreciate more colorful cast than "bad and good", but dear lord, at this point they could reveal Gintoki to have been the main villain all along and I wouldn't be surprised - because I wouldn't process it in this mess.

My point being, could someone please explain in the simplest of terms what is - and has been - going on? Talk to me like I'm retarded, because Gintama-retarded I apparently sure am.

I bet the manga explains it better, it always does.
Mar 10, 2016 1:22 PM

Jan 2013
The Shogun and Bakufu were basically puppets of alien overlords. Very much how Japan was forced to open it's borders by the US, and people were not satisfied how their leaders bowed down to foreigners.

I think it was kinda confusing too. The ninja faction was pretty unnecessary.
Mar 10, 2016 3:05 PM

Feb 2012
In short, its pretty much Japan's history retold during this period, and the invading forces of EU and US being replaced with Aliens.

Also a lot of Gintama's main cast is based on real people who lived during this time in Japan, and how they lived, that's how their characters are portrayed in the series (with some changes ofc, but its still pretty cool).

Also this article might help a little. http://myanimelist.net/featured/407
Mar 10, 2016 3:43 PM

Jul 2008
So at this point big bad would be Tendoshu. To put it simply big, evil organisation of powerful aliens, who pull all the strings.

Since you mentioned Shogun Assasination I suppose that's when you got confused?

So this dude:

Was head of faction who wanted to overthrow Shogun and get power. They allied with evil guy you mentioned in point d) and threatened some ninjas into helping them to put assasination plot in motion.

But in the end, this dude screws everyone (including his own faction) by siding with Tendoshu aka evil alien organisation. Since aliens are super infuential and scary blah blah, they make him new shogun. And that's about it I guess? Unless you wanted something more detailed? Or something in new arc as well?

Ha ha I feel that I am horrible with explaining.
Mar 10, 2016 5:15 PM

Mar 2014
Well, I don't where to start on explaining Gintama, only because I really don't know what you want an explanation to. A couple characters? The last two arcs? Or a rundown of the entire plot?

So for now, I'll just address I bet the manga explains it better: The only difference in the storytelling is that the pacing in the manga is better, but besides that, the anime explains everything just as well.
Mar 11, 2016 4:22 AM

Apr 2015
You know Yato are aliens right? I mean they were all over the SA arc. Tendoshou also I believe are from some alien organization so there isn't any lack of the aliens.

Also what episode are you on because it would be easier to explain by mentioning some spoilers?

Also I don't get what to explain, I mean everything pretty much makes sense until now with no complicated stuff, so please be more specific. Just mention the things you don't know and I'd be happy to help :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2016 4:36 AM

Nov 2011
This series can still work without alien really but by having the concept of alien in this series, there's no limit to what kind of character they can make.

Mar 11, 2016 9:01 AM

Mar 2015
There is a plot to Gintama, it's just very subtle. Essentially the plot of Gintama is the power struggle over Edo. Spoilers though. The conflict of the story comes from the power struggle over Edo. We have...

In the past:
-Japanese Bakufu VS Aliens : Old samurai don't want aliens, but government gave in and aliens gain influence over Edo

Pre Big Plot Development(Gintama before the last 20 ish episodes):
-Takasugi's (The Evil Guy) Faction; Want to destroy Edo. Takasugi fought in the war against the aliens. VS Gintoki and Friends; Want to protect Edo. Gintoki fought in the war as well.
-Joi Rebels (Katsura); Want to overthrow the government. Katsura fought in the aliens war and felt dissatisfied that the government gave into the aliens so he wants to overthrow the government VS Shinsengumi (Hijikata and friends) ; Wants to keep the peace
-Shinsengumi (Hijikata and friends) VS Mimawarigumi (Sasaki, Nobume) ; Rival police forces that interfere with each other
-Current Shogun (Shige Shige) and loyal faction VS Opposing Shogun Candidate (Nobu Nobu) + Corrupted official in the shogunate (Sada Sada) + Tendoshu (Oboro; Aliens who try to control the government and Shogun): The corrupted official (Sada Sada) is killed. Opposing Shogun Candidate (Nobu Nobu) backs down.

Post Big Plot Development (Gintama as of now)
GaryMuffuginOakMar 11, 2016 9:09 AM
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Mar 11, 2016 9:01 AM

Dec 2015
it's about Gin's tama...
well close enough
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Mar 11, 2016 9:15 AM

Jun 2010
Hm, I think I'm getting it better now. I wasn't even that far off it seems. Thanks a lot, everyone, that actually helped. I might rewatch the last couple episodes now that I have less of a mess in my head and should probably get it easy.
Mar 11, 2016 10:54 AM

Apr 2015
eworm said:
Hm, I think I'm getting it better now. I wasn't even that far off it seems. Thanks a lot, everyone, that actually helped. I might rewatch the last couple episodes now that I have less of a mess in my head and should probably get it easy.

What episode are you on?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2016 12:46 PM

Jun 2010
CG-Silver said:

What episode are you on?

The last one I've seen is #48 (I think it's #313 overall).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Tyrel - Jan 20, 2016

160 by wibugar »»
Yesterday, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cupc - Jul 29, 2015

125 by Jellybeanx »»
May 6, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Jan 13, 2016

252 by sno0pcatt »»
May 4, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Mar 30, 2016

251 by ThalosShrine »»
Apr 15, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2016

113 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 20, 11:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.