Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 19, 2016 10:12 AM
May 2016
Subs. It feels more natural to hear the original voices. With dubs the character and the voice often don't match.
May 19, 2016 11:02 AM

Mar 2016
I prefer watching anime with the subs, however for a very select few i like the dubs (ie. any games adapted into animes that I've already played in english).
May 20, 2016 4:03 PM

Feb 2011
Well, depend on the situation. When the dubbings are good, I prefer this option. However, in my country, there aren't many dubbings of animes and when there are…well they aren’t good. So, on this case, I choose animes with subtitles.
May 23, 2016 11:27 PM
Jul 2018
Usually dubs are easier when the story or dialogue isn't super important and sometimes dubs can be really well done without being cheesy. Also I feel like it's a trade-off when watching with really impressive animation.
Other than that subs make the dialogue a more accurate translation. So it really just depends on what I'm watching. So something like Sora no Otoshimono I would watch with the dub, and something like Death Note that is intense without much action would be sub.
May 24, 2016 6:34 AM

Nov 2012
I definitely enjoy subs more than dubs. Community subs at that as I like to see the difference between two groups' subs and how they went about translating.

I can enjoy dubs if its done well enough meaning the voice doesn't pull me away from the anime by making me question the cohesion between voice and animated character.
May 28, 2016 3:11 PM

May 2016
I prefer watching the animes with the Subs. In my language they nearly stopped dubbing Anime in 2008-2009 (with a very few Exceptions like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Death Note, Dragon Ball Kai, the beggining of Naruto Shippuuden, and more recently Nanatsu no Taizai), In some dubs they change way too much the Dialogue, In Digimon Adventure 2 (in my language) they changed the terms and the dialogues to a point where was hard to understand what was going on.

More recently i finished Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and i watched some episodes with Dub and other with Sub and in my language some Voice Actors seemed to be reading rather than dubbing and they exaggerated with the tone of some characters.

And in my case is better to prefer Sub over Dub, because we don't have even half of the dubbed anime that are avaliable for English.

Jun 3, 2016 7:13 AM

Apr 2016
Subs. Dubs just aren't as good in my opinion. There a few exceptions where the dub is better but most of the time it is not.
Jun 3, 2016 6:54 PM
May 2016
If an anime has a dub I usually like to try that out first. If I like it, I would continue with the dub. If not, sub all the way!
Jun 11, 2016 9:27 AM
TNC Creator

Feb 2016
Jun 11, 2016 10:07 AM

Jun 2016
In general I go for dubs. Which is a bit odd because when I watch foreign films I prefer subs.

I think I prefer dubs because it's how I started watching anime. Back in the days when I would get fan subs I thought it was cool and edgy, but at the time I didn't even consider how accurate the translations could be.

Secondly, and this is another odd reason, but sometimes Japanese voice acting grinds on me. Everyone sounds more...high pitched?
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Jul 14, 2016 3:32 AM

Feb 2015
I'm used to subs because in Finland almost all television series or movies have subs. I also like to pause anime if there's unknown word and I don't figure it out from context. Finnish dubs are mostly for kids so they aren't really good :p
Jul 14, 2016 4:54 PM

Jun 2016
Usually I'll go with sub, but if I hear that the anime in question has a good dub then I'll watch that. I enjoyed Toradora, Death Note, and Assassination Classroom dubbed tbh.
Jul 15, 2016 10:28 AM

Apr 2016
I always thought I preferred subs simply because I'm used to watching anime with subs, but later I realized that I actually cringe everytime I try to watch a dubbed anime. The characters just seem to lack the emotion that's originally intended and it just seems half-assed overall, in my opinion.
Jul 15, 2016 7:40 PM

Apr 2016
Subs all the way, man! There's no better voice actors than the original voice actors. :)
Jul 15, 2016 10:00 PM

Jul 2016
I like subs over dubs, but dubs are cool too, especially if you've already watched one of your favorite anime with original audio and later you plan on rewatching it dubbed.
However, I actually enjoyed Tomoko's English voice in the dubs version more than the original one. It made her sound more like a loser with English VA for me, which is perfect for that anime theme (anime: Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!).

Well, I don't have much experience here because I haven't watched a lot of dubbed anime in the past, can only recall Death Note and a few others and some anime with Spanish or Portuguese dubs when I was a kid.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Jul 23, 2016 10:03 PM

Jul 2016
subs, because it feels a bit weird when listening to english dubs...
also, it's a bonus when you actually recognize a VA *cough cough* esp. when the VA is Hana Kana <3 *cough*
(Instant fave char as long as she's the VA, lol)

"If beautiful women don’t celebrate their beauty, the entire human race loses out. Don’t you agree?”—Sonya

ƒ ♥♥
Jul 23, 2016 11:12 PM
Jul 2016
I definitely prefer subs over dubs! I think the original japanese voices always suit the characters better, though I tend to forget that when I watch anime with subs that I don't understand japanese ^^" so sometimes I switch to dubs for convenience.
Jul 25, 2016 12:06 AM
May 2016
This for me usually comes down to who DOES the dub and sometimes, the type of anime it is. If the dub is done by Funimation, I usually will just watch the dub unless somehow I feel it isn't well done (which is rarely the case with Funimation dubs, as the voice actors are often top notch and the direction is superb) or is inferior to the sub. As for the latter, if the location is set in a non Japanese area (does occasionally pop up), a dub might make more sense, especially if the common language is English in that setting.

On the other hand, there are plenty of Japanese voice actors who can pull off what a voice actor in a dub maybe couldn't (Moe is the obvious example, which usually seems to work better in subs). But I never automatically assume a sub will be better and more often than not, some of the best popular anime (Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Steins;Gate, Fullmetal Alchemist) have had dubs that are arguably better than the subs.

TL DR; I usually prefer a dub if Funimation dubs it, it's in a non Japanese/Fantasy setting or if I hear a majority of people recommending a dub for an anime. Otherwise, I watched it subbed.
Jul 28, 2016 4:53 PM

Jun 2016
Ilan14 said:
Subs all the way, man! There's no better voice actors than the original voice actors. :)

Some dubs are much better than the original voice actors though. Like I'm watching Samurai Champloo right now and the dub is amazing (expect for Jin). But yeah lol usually sub is better.
Jul 28, 2016 5:32 PM
Apr 2016
I guess it depends on the show for me... A lot of the time I enjoy dubs and times I enjoy subs... But if I had to choose I think I would go with dub just because you can relax and enjoy the animation instead of having to be attentive to the subs...
Aug 29, 2016 7:46 AM
Aug 2016
Well it depends, I choose subs for anything be american or jap 'cause you get the true way the directors want the voices to be and in dubs the change somethings to make it fun or intresting for the audience and end up blowing it (not always).

My biggest example is Naruto, an anime i've seen in subs, american dubs and latin dubs, and while the whole thing changes i find the latin dubs very loyal to the original voices and emotions expressed in them, while in the american dubs they just try their best at making all the voices sound "cool" or "badass" which is not the case.

However at this point im at a place where i can't see anime with out subs so there's that.
[url=https://myanimelist.net/animelist/KnightGawaiin&sclick=1][IMG]https://myanimelist.cdn-
Sep 5, 2016 9:16 AM
Aug 2016
I prefer subs. Where I live almost anything not made for small kids is subbed so I'm used to it. And I enjoy the voice of many Japanese VA.
Also, I can't stand how most names are pronounced in English, I just find it horrible and it makes me cringe. However there are some series I grew up with as a kid in English (like Dragonball Z and Gundam Wing) so I'm more used to the dubs and will probably prefer the English voices because of it.
Sep 10, 2016 7:09 PM

Jan 2016
When I started watching anime I only watched dubbed because that's all I had access to. The dubbed Speed Racer episodes are the worst. They made me laugh because they were so terrible. Now I watch mainly subbed. I enjoy the Japanese voice actors. A lot of the English dubbed ones are bad. I do still watch some dubbed ones...especially when I'm cooking or cleaning up. lol
ruckesSep 13, 2016 9:15 PM
Sep 10, 2016 10:09 PM
King

Apr 2016
subs yo subs
These sig updates harder den a bih to keep up wit
Sep 11, 2016 12:04 PM

Jul 2016
Honestly I prefer subs, usually dubs are low quality and even when they are not, I prefer to watch it how it was origianlly aired, The only time I watch dubs is when I wanna fall asleep watching something and have to close my eyes :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2016 3:05 PM
Sep 2016
I prefer dubs because I'm a lazy American, but if an anime catches my attention good enough I'll watched it subbed. Heck half the anime I watched was subbed. Like Tokyo Ghoul and Highschool DxD (I know I'm so original XD)
Sep 11, 2016 6:35 PM
May 2016
SUBS!!! I dont really no why I like subs more than dubs maybe its because the voice actors arent as cringy or that when i read something i can remember it better. Maybe its because i like to hear the Japanese VA's try and speak english because it is really funny. I dont know but i do know i choose SUBS over DUBS besides anime is anime!
Sep 11, 2016 11:10 PM
Sep 2016
It kind of depends on which I see first. I don't hate subs, but sometimes I can understand things better dubbed, when I can understand what they are saying. I saw the Conqueror of Shamballa movie subbed, and I didn't get a lot of the stuff going on. I rewatched it dubbed, and it made a little more sense. With that said, though, there are some anime I prefer the sub to mainly because I like the voices better, like Your Lie in April.
Sep 12, 2016 7:21 AM

Jun 2015
i prefer sub but back when i watched funimation on the cartoon network some before getting a laptop and kiss XD , i saw blue exorcist, black lagoon, inuyasha, yu-gi-oh, yu yu hakusho, and pokemon in dub and thought it was okay. Ofc i thought black lagoon was best dubbed compared imo

Sep 12, 2016 7:32 AM

Jul 2008
i personally like subbed and dubbed equally,course some select series i prefer dub and some i prefer sub,its generally a case by case basis as not all is equal,i will say more often then not if i had to choose one i'd pick subs since usually more consistent in quality even if dubs sometimes have stellar performances that outshine the original imo.
Sep 17, 2016 5:53 AM

Jul 2016
I may add to my old statement that dubs are also useful for multi-tasking. I'm watching the dubbed version of an anime on my tv right now while commenting here and looking for new members for the club at the same time, maintaining focus on both which saves me a lot of time!
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Sep 17, 2016 6:03 AM
Sep 2016
I guess.. I prefer subs more than dubs. The dubs sounds annoying somtimes. ugh..
Sep 17, 2016 11:57 PM

Sep 2016
It depends on if the dub voice actors suit the characters I usually pick subbed because its usually better than the dub.
Sep 18, 2016 5:27 AM

Mar 2015
Prefer subs most of the time because I think the japanese voice actors suit the characters in anime better, the politeness, the anger, you name it.

That said, shows like Pokemon would sound natural in english to me because I grew up with that, it was hard to adjust to names like Satoshi, and all the other Japanese pokemon names...lol
Sep 19, 2016 3:37 PM

May 2016
I do prefer subs, but if the anime has a dub I would watch the dub version.

Sep 20, 2016 1:13 AM
Dec 2012
i can watch both

i will say through that there are some shows that i would prefer to watch only the dub or sub version of that particular show.
Oct 20, 2016 11:42 PM

Oct 2016
I almost always watched subbed anime. It's only because a lot of context gets left out when it's dubbed and it can be confusing. Though there have been a few good dubs out there,
Oct 21, 2016 5:21 AM

Mar 2015
Subs, sometimes the jokes and slangs are meant to be in japanese
Nov 20, 2016 3:13 AM

Aug 2016
OH, Sub for real mate.
Nov 25, 2016 11:26 AM
Jan 2015
I can watch both, if its a serious anime i'll most likely watch it subbed but if the anime has a lot of comedy then definitely dub.
Nov 25, 2016 1:11 PM
TNC Creator

Feb 2016
danieldakoli said:
I can watch both, if its a serious anime i'll most likely watch it subbed but if the anime has a lot of comedy then definitely dub.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Although I don't watch dubs anymore, dubs are easy to listen to when you're not paying attention, etcetera.
Dec 3, 2016 12:22 AM

Sep 2013
I tend to watch subs, but I have watched a few dubs that I enjoyed.
Dec 3, 2016 1:31 AM

Jun 2013
I prefer subs, but I also enjoy good english dubs. I do find myself watching bad dubs at times when I'm multitasking and don't have time to read the subtitles.
Dec 5, 2016 10:22 PM
Dec 2016
Subs all the way, they retain all the original context and the voice actors tended to be chosen specifically for their roles rather than what dubs have a tendency to end up with. That being said there have been a select few dubs over the years that I count as good if not better than the original voice acting.
Dec 6, 2016 5:18 AM

Sep 2015
i normally like to watch in the language the series was originally created in, so subbed.

although sometimes the setting makes it appropiate for a dub.

also, when watching together with a younger audience (eg my niece and nephew), its preferable to watch dubbed or with localised subs because of their age. (its kinda confusing for them to read and hear in languages they dont understand very well while also trying to enjoy the animation)
Dec 6, 2016 7:41 PM
Apr 2015
A good dub is extremely hard to come by. Subs 99.9% of the time for me!
Dec 6, 2016 7:45 PM

Mar 2016
Sub cause Dub they do not even try to make it good.
At most with Sub why watching it if they mess up on the English can laugh about it.
Dub it's just painful.

Dec 7, 2016 5:43 AM
Dec 2016
Sub because most of Dub is not even good, last time I watched something dubbed I fell asleep.
Dec 7, 2016 3:22 PM
TNC Creator

Feb 2016
DaiSuki8957 said:
A good dub is extremely hard to come by. Subs 99.9% of the time for me!

Pfffttt... (good point) I watched Toradora dub the first time around!
Dec 7, 2016 3:48 PM

Aug 2016
IMO subs are easier to find on the internet than dubs
Especially when you're catching a series while it's running, which I have done once (Food Wars 2)

(Side note: I'm not an expert so don't quote me on this, this is just reasonable thinking)
Wouldn't speedy dubbers (in this case a group of VAs dubbing speedily) have an advantage over the market because there will be people looking for dubs very soon after it was released?

If yes, the thing would be rushed, and may not have the quality of dubbing as the subs (dubbed in Japanese)

If no, I'll think about it... (but the point for running shows stands)
"Quotes from famous people are overrated" - Me, 2016

"Ew I hate myself from 2016" - Me, 2017
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [GAMES] Count to 100,000 Part 3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Karasian - Jan 26, 2021

8331 by omorashi »»
Apr 16, 1:43 PM

» [GAMES] Count down from 100,000 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babyaki - Dec 4, 2020

6857 by omorashi »»
Apr 16, 1:43 PM

» [GAMES] Anime A-Z Game ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Aug 8, 2017

4737 by Serafos »»
Apr 15, 11:21 PM

» I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

removed-user - Feb 5

1 by Serafos »»
Apr 8, 8:20 AM

» Guys check my oil painting of Kimi no Na wa, Tenki no Ko, and Suzume no Tojimari.

mufarari - Jan 20

1 by Serafos »»
Apr 2, 8:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.