Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Is it wrong to dislike one of the most favored characters in the series?

Durarara!! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 26, 2016 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
x'd over from my topic from the Ketsu thread for either returnees or noobs to DRRR!!

Ah, here we go again, roundabout, roundabout. I said I wouldn't make a thread about this, but fuck it. this is a thread by the Nasujima girl, about how she dislikes Izaya.

I am aware I am a fandom oddity, for neither of my favorite character spots have placement or room for Izaya OR Shizuo, when they are often considered to be two of the 'best' in the series by general fandom consensus.

While I enjoy Shizuo, I could never traditionally like Izaya, all I have wanted and want to do is knee him in the balls. to watch him die brutally, to see karma enact some kind of long awaited vengeance upon him. As for Shizuo, I always felt like his temperamental behavior was all too reminiscent of my own impulsive violence, so that partially ruined him for me, and kept him off my favs list in the long run.

I always feel like I would have been subject to exclusion and poor reception for admitting not to liking Izaya, which is why I did not admit that for years I disliked him, likewise the same reason I did not admit I liked Nasujima for awhile either.

Here is to me never understanding why Izaya seems to have mass appeal, but then again I've almost always hated the guy from the start and throughout. While at first I was the slightest bit amused by his awful antics and repulsed by others, now I can certifiably say that he pisses me off. I've always wanted to rightfully punch the bastard in the face. He lures teenage girls to suicide, for god's sake, I think that having a personal connotation for me is one of the most bothersome aspects pertaining to the things he does. among other things, obviously. like, who in their right mind thinks that his doing that is okay?

Honestly, my favoritism towards Nasujima would seemingly make my Izaya disinterest and annoyance all the more ironic as well, seeing how they are equally deplorable, but I truly feel like in Izaya's case his motives are all the more empty, even though I've tried to understand the reasoning behind them, in turn reading the novel and glimpsing at his story therein. Physically he's not as appealing to me either, all personality aside his looks have always resembled a weasel too much for my taste, there are some dudes who can pull it off, but I don't see how he's so "sexy" as fangirls describe. Aside from that i like Shizuo, but identify too much with his violence and impulses ruling him aspect to let him be one of my favorites. I migrate far more towards the "deplorable abuser with likely dark backstory" category ala Nasujima or the "cute flirt or hopeless perv" along the lines of Shinra, Chikage. I also uncommonly like Akabayashi as well. I dunno. Is that so weird? I always feel like I've wanted Izaya's ass kicked and maimed from the damn start and really can't form much appreciation towards him at all. If anything I'd be perfectly content if he was just killed off entirely to pave way for new villainy.

Why does everyone think Izaya's the best thing since sliced bread though? He just doesn't have that… appeal to me? does anyone actually feel the same way as I about this? He just doesn't grab my attention that much in the captivating sense. The only thing that really enthuses me is the running gag fights with Shizuo but other than that I don't find him as attractive nor as interesting as other guys in the show.

god forbid I don't like the scummy fuck in the metrosexual fur parka.

so is it weird, wrong, personally, to dislike Izaya, who is supposedly engineered and meant to be 'favored' by fans, or not? Are there actually people out there who agree with me that Izaya is abhorrent? Do you think my being drawn to the less popular characters is weird, when I don't like Izaya, or is this all somehow entirely normal to my own tastes and shouldn't be considered bad? I know that I don't usually go out on a limb to shit on other people's tastes, but do mine deserve to be shitted on for not liking the character that even Narita clearly prefers? I always feel like a loner in the 'does not like Izaya' aspect, as well as the' actually acknowledges Nasujima exists' aspect, so it's not really a very nice fandom existence.

Anyway, discuss.
Mar 12, 2016 4:50 AM
Feb 2016
why the heck? i mean he must be hated....i hate two characters, one is him, and the other is suzaku from code geass....they both suck...
Mar 12, 2016 8:20 PM
Jul 2018
Ivisire said:
why the heck? i mean he must be hated....i hate two characters, one is him, and the other is suzaku from code geass....they both suck...

GOOD TO KNOW NOW THAT I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE
Amen... there's actually someone else out there who dislikes Izaya.... amen....
Mar 12, 2016 8:27 PM
Feb 2016
dizzyur said:
Ivisire said:

GOOD TO KNOW NOW THAT I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE
Amen... there's actually someone else out there who dislikes Izaya.... amen....

haha get a hold of ur ethics....dont ever get sidetracked because of the public...;)
Mar 17, 2016 2:46 AM

May 2015
I don't like Izaya, I find him quite infuriating (kind of like how Shizuo finds him).

"Everyone wants to carve their scars into someone else; everyone wants to connect with someone else." -- Sonozaki Noriko, Kiznaiver
Mar 17, 2016 2:50 AM
Feb 2016
littlefuji said:
I don't like Izaya, I find him quite infuriating (kind of like how Shizuo finds him).

yeah.....i hate all anime charecters but i like Shizuo...coz he literally crumbled a guy who was hypocritic with his love....XD
Mar 17, 2016 3:01 AM

Nov 2013
Izaya is the worst character in that series. Annoying af and nothing interesting about him.
He's mostly loved by teen girls for stupid reasons. They start to get wet when they see a comment with his name and spam "muh izaya i wuv him so much <3333" everywhere.
Mar 17, 2016 3:03 AM
Feb 2016
@kudo lol....teen girls would get mad at u....

but then maybe they will back off because ur name is kudo...XD X''D
Mar 17, 2016 5:01 AM

May 2015
Ivisire said:
littlefuji said:

yeah.....i hate all anime charecters but i like Shizuo...coz he literally crumbled a guy who was hypocritic with his love....XD

Who are you referring to as a hypocrite? If it's Izaya, I wanted to call him a pretentious f**k, but then I thought about it and he's actually pretty honest about being a dickface and loving it, lol.

Please don't answer if it's a spoiler! I'm not done with Season 1 yet sooo.

Shizuo, on the other hand, deserves all that love. Korosu korosu korosu korosu!!
littlefujiMar 17, 2016 5:05 AM

"Everyone wants to carve their scars into someone else; everyone wants to connect with someone else." -- Sonozaki Noriko, Kiznaiver
Mar 17, 2016 5:17 AM
Jul 2018
Well,Izaya is a total asshole and douchebag,so it is not really that unthinkable that you don't like him.
Mar 17, 2016 9:21 AM
Feb 2016
littlefuji said:
Ivisire said:

Who are you referring to as a hypocrite? If it's Izaya, I wanted to call him a pretentious f**k, but then I thought about it and he's actually pretty honest about being a dickface and loving it, lol.

Please don't answer if it's a spoiler! I'm not done with Season 1 yet sooo.

Shizuo, on the other hand, deserves all that love. Korosu korosu korosu korosu!!

haha no spoilers....but blurting out ones own stupidity with pride is the biggest phenomenon that will get any man in serious issue with their own living style and understanding of the world.......

and there is where Izaya lies....

Euphemistic said:
Well,Izaya is a total asshole and douchebag,so it is not really that unthinkable that you don't like him.

very true....XD
but its sad to know some ppl dont think that way....they are either sarcastic, or dumb...>.<
Mar 17, 2016 9:25 AM
Jul 2018
Kudo said:
Izaya is the worst character in that series. Annoying af and nothing interesting about him.
He's mostly loved by teen girls for stupid reasons. They start to get wet when they see a comment with his name and spam "muh izaya i wuv him so much <3333" everywhere.

Watch out, the rabid teenage fangirls may be lurking somewhere.
Seriously, as a female… hell, even as a younger teenager when I got into the show? I never found him to be all that physically attractive either, compared the other males in the show for the most part. He always resembled a weasel too much. His new design for S2 reinforced my opinion that he looks like a punchable weasel tenfold.
removed-userMar 17, 2016 9:36 AM
Mar 17, 2016 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
littlefuji said:
Ivisire said:

to be honest, i just don't find him all that interesting to begin with. even when he has later flashback stories/episodes. i think his rooting for Izaya's apparent insanity is weak as fuck. and his antics get tiresome. I basically fluctuate between wanting to see him dead on the street and wanting him to fade into obscurity so that the better characters can emerge from the woodwork. He gets way too much focus and yet that focus for me can be so forgettable, i don't get why everyone finds him to be sooo appealing, not even physically. I don't think he's that physically attractive. Honestly, I often forego a lot of his scenes because he's so.. eugh... or meh.....
Mar 17, 2016 6:03 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Kudo said:
I didn't know that i was a teenage girl.
well, its true that i get wet when i see him tho
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 17, 2016 6:39 PM

Sep 2015
It's wrong to dislike Izaya but its not wrong to dislike one of the most favoured characters in the series. I like Naruto the anime but don't like Naruto at all
Your next line is "I was just pretending to be retarded".
Mar 17, 2016 9:34 PM
Feb 2016
NakuraZero said:
It's wrong to dislike Izaya but its not wrong to dislike one of the most favoured characters in the series. I like Naruto the anime but don't like Naruto at all
'

and i hate lellouch vi britania....for the sole fact that, the quote of his, in ur signature wont work in real life......

*experience**research*
Mar 17, 2016 9:42 PM

Sep 2015
Ivisire said:
NakuraZero said:
'

and i hate lellouch vi britania....for the sole fact that, the quote of his, in ur signature wont work in real life......

*experience**research*

And i hate your typing and sentence structure lol it works if you have a Zero Requiem
Mar 17, 2016 9:55 PM
Feb 2016
NakuraZero said:
Ivisire said:
'

*experience**research*

And i hate your typing and sentence structure lol it works if you have a Zero Requiem

no intention of arguing seriously....XD chillout man...iam not that serious....

it wont, u need reason? i am not forcing or anything, u dont have to change ur fantasies either....but the reality needs to be considered...for both our sakes that is...

just think, even if everyones overall hatred is shifted to lellouch, still, each human being's individual disease factors like jealousy, backbiting, forgivelessness, thanklessness, overpowering, overpride, and hatred all still exist within them....

just we wait for another decade, and things start changing again....well, its a fact, iam guy who go out to community services all the time, so watching closely, i learned it...

and an FYI, i dont hate anyone in this world, neither do i hate lellouch....but what i meant was, i hate wen people believe in false assumptions...it can crumble us u know...just play one or two sudoku matches to know that....;)

good day friend...gtg.
Mar 17, 2016 9:55 PM

May 2013
No, but it's wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon.
Mar 17, 2016 9:59 PM

Sep 2015
Ivisire said:
NakuraZero said:

no intention of arguing seriously....XD chillout man...iam not that serious....

it wont, u need reason? i am not forcing or anything, u dont have to change ur fantasies either....but the reality needs to be considered...for both our sakes that is...

just think, even if everyones overall hatred is shifted to lellouch, still, each human being's individual disease factors like jealousy, backbiting, forgivelessness, thanklessness, overpowering, overpride, and hatred all still exist within them....

just we wait for another decade, and things start changing again....well, its a fact, iam guy who go out to community services all the time, so watching closely, i learned it...

and an FYI, i dont hate anyone in this world, neither do i hate lellouch....but what i meant was, i hate wen people believe in false assumptions...it can crumble us u know...just play one or two sudoku matches to know that....;)

good day friend...gtg.

Didn't mean to come across serious I was joking I know it wouldn't work flawlessly in real life but it would help people of the world band together if only for a moment
Mar 17, 2016 10:35 PM

May 2015
Euphemistic said:

Thing is, so many people actually do and I'm like ???
I mean sure, I guess that smirk looks cool and whatnot, but the charm just faded into irritation after ep 2 due the way he acts and thinks it's actually okay to piss everyone off to reach his goals. Then again, I haven't reached his backstory yet so I may change my mind -- it'll be hard to, though.

(I seriously don't mean to compare Izaya with Trump, but it's similar how he still has a shit ton of supporters even though he's the douchebag of douchebags. I just can't comprehend.)

Lethargy said:
No, but it's wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon.

Dude that's such a Durarara!!-style anime reference XD Made me smile
littlefujiMar 17, 2016 10:38 PM

Mar 17, 2016 10:41 PM

Nov 2014
I hit yes, but I meant no.
Is it wrong to have an opinion?

Mar 19, 2016 8:58 AM
Jul 2018
ExTamplier said:
I hit yes, but I meant no.
Is it wrong to have an opinion?

Nah it's not wrong to have an opinion, as long as you agree with mine
/sarcasm

I'm kinda surprised, this thread collectively gathered more debate of sorts than the Ketsu version I posted, which technically had a higher number of posts.
Mar 19, 2016 5:09 PM

Jul 2014
I confess to being a Izaya fangirl, I get excited whenever he's on screen, but of course it's not wrong to dislike a character. All loved character have haters, all hated characters have fans.
Mar 19, 2016 5:11 PM

Feb 2015
I enjoy Izaya as a character because I can relate to him.
Mar 19, 2016 5:15 PM

Jul 2015
No it's not wrong.
Different characters, different people, different taste
Mar 28, 2016 2:12 PM
Jan 2016
Of course not! Well, Izaya is one of the most popular characters in the Drrr!! fandom, but I don't like him either :P
Mar 28, 2016 2:36 PM

Aug 2013
What?! How is it wrong?! Personally I like him because I always find bad guys interesting. But, it's your opinion, and I respect that. ^^
Mar 28, 2016 2:53 PM
Mar 2011
Do you really think there are people who like him? Everything is bad about him: his design, his character, his philosophy, his spaghettiness, his role in the story..
Mar 28, 2016 10:50 PM
Feb 2016
naens said:
Do you really think there are people who like him? Everything is bad about him: his design, his character, his philosophy, his spaghettiness, his role in the story..

lol....yeah....................XD
Mar 28, 2016 10:52 PM

Jul 2013
you disgust me dizz ;-;

izaya is a fan fave for a reason.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Mar 28, 2016 10:53 PM

Jan 2008
So if I'm reading this right, you don't like him because he's a bad guy. Ok.
Mar 28, 2016 11:10 PM
Jul 2018
Paul said:

i wouldn't say it's that entirely, i like an even worse guy, but something about izaya just repels me in general from wanting to like him. also, i feel like his reason for insanity is pretty damned shoddy and weak at times and that his backstory or development ain't particularly interesting compared to the other characters no matter how much the author and series dedicated to him, i could never really find myself terribly intrigued by it, from my perspective. i will say i enjoy seeing him at least be pummeled by shizuo, though.

meh just let me just bring out a response i wrote up awhile back
removed-userMar 28, 2016 11:15 PM
Mar 28, 2016 11:12 PM
Feb 2016
dizzyur said:
Paul said:

i wouldn't say it's that entirely, i like an even worse guy, but something about izaya just repels me in general from wanting to like him. also, i feel like his reason for insanity is pretty damned shoddy and weak at times and that his backstory or development ain't particularly interesting compared to the other characters no matter how much the author and series dedicated to him, i could never really find myself terribly intrigued by it, from my perspective. i will say i enjoy seeing him at least be pummeled by shizuo, though.

and let me tell u what that repulsion is.......

Izaya seems to play around with peoples emotions, and it works fine for him in the anime.......and that is the cause of ur repulsion....as in reality, the guy would be a loner and dead by now....:p

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

francismeunier - Apr 22, 2010

234 by Karva1 »»
Apr 20, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usami-Haru - Mar 18, 2010

456 by Karva1 »»
Apr 20, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Proselyt - Jan 14, 2010

331 by Karva1 »»
Apr 19, 11:39 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

katzenjammer - Feb 18, 2010

299 by Kurkitos »»
Feb 5, 6:31 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kirika- - May 27, 2010

205 by dr_hydrangea »»
Jan 31, 4:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.