Forum Settings
Forums

Why doesn't anyone ever talk about cinematography?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 22, 2016 10:20 PM

Nov 2015
Malarkey said:
GesuYarou said:
I feel like seeing good cinematography in anime is like a bonus.
If it does have great cinematography, good for them. They've done something that is considered very difficult for it's medium. Extra points for cinematography!!
If not, then oh well.. There are other things to look forward to anyway.

cinematography isnt a hard thing to convey in anime; it's just the same thing with movies but in Japanese animation

I'm not sure about what I'm about to say but isn't it harder to emulate real life camera physics in animation? Especially 2D animation..
I don't have a very good idea of it so forgive me if I sound stupid..
Feb 22, 2016 10:22 PM

May 2015
GesuYarou said:
Malarkey said:

cinematography isnt a hard thing to convey in anime; it's just the same thing with movies but in Japanese animation

I'm not sure about what I'm about to say but isn't it harder to emulate real life camera physics in animation? Especially 2D animation..

I actually think it may be easier, considering how you can manipulate everything visually to your will

I dont have a degree in cinematography or anything but this seems logical, right?
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Feb 22, 2016 10:22 PM

Mar 2015
drawing background and animated it it has much and much more effort than animated character moved. and people don't really care about it either. that's why. also don't compare it with non animated movie, in movie it's camera tricks, but in animation, it's 3D Drawing ability + point of view imagination. so it's have much more effort in animation than live action.

and rather than shaft, i prefer kyoani for this.

even A-1 done very well done job in eresed but people don't give single fuck either.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 22, 2016 10:26 PM

May 2015
Kuma said:
even A-1 done very well done job in eresed but people don't give single fuck either.

I happen to strongly agree actually, the aesthetics, music, and cinematography all go well together and very nicely convey a mood fitting to the thriller atmosphere of the show
Freddy Nicholas said:
Feb 22, 2016 10:51 PM

Nov 2015
Malarkey said:
GesuYarou said:

I actually think it may be easier, considering how you can manipulate everything visually to your will

I dont have a degree in cinematography or anything but this seems logical, right?

Let's just accept that neither of us will ever know..
According to my logic it must be pretty easy to draw static camera angles but it's obviously much harder when the camera is supposed to be swinging & twisting around all over the place.
It might be just me but I've noticed that in most anime it happens very rarely & when it does framerates tend to dip into single digits. That alone shows how darn hard it must be for the artists..
But these days we've been seeing these moves being pulled off more & more convincingly without compromising on framerate.

But then I guess crazy, improbable camera shots might not be all there is to it. If you can replicate the scene inside your head & present what you have in mind effectively enough, that is more than enough. ie it may not look amazing, but it should be effective enough..

In the end I think cinematography is just about talent. It's about how well you can bring your imagination to life. It may or may not require a whole lot of effort from the side of the animators but either way it's definitely not easy for the person in charge..
Feb 22, 2016 11:03 PM

May 2015
@GesuYarou
not sure what you meant by cinematography not being there?

but I do think that aesthetics is still an important part of cinematography. after all, if it doesnt look all that good, you dont get a big impact from the scene. how would you convey such a wonderful shot if it looks dull and boring?

I really like your last point there, if the director doesnt even know what theyre doing, how could anyone else? after all, aesthetics arent everything, even if it does look really nice

btw, just noticed that you were the guy on the other thread boasting about your list layout; it could actually be really great if you changed your text up a bit (impact is a big no-no!) and maybe changed your red coloured banner
MalarkeyFeb 22, 2016 11:07 PM
Freddy Nicholas said:
Feb 22, 2016 11:20 PM

Nov 2015
Malarkey said:
@GesuYarou
not sure what you meant by cinematography not being there?

When did I say that?
If I did I must've meant when there are dull, static camera angles.
ie nothing special..

Malarkey said:
but I do think that aesthetics is still an important part of cinematography. after all, if it doesnt look all that good, you dont get a big impact from the scene. how would you convey such a wonderful shot if it looks dull and boring?

A close up shot of Satou Tatsuhiro's face while in distress is more impactful than a 360 shot of Goku while he charges up his Kamehameha..

Malarkey said:
btw, just noticed that you were the guy on the other thread boasting about your list layout; it could actually be really great if you changed your text up a bit (impact is a big no-no!) and maybe changed your red coloured banner

Really? I thought red & blue with white text would be a pretty good combination lol..
Okay, I'll see what other options I can try out..
Feb 22, 2016 11:25 PM

May 2015
GesuYarou said:
Really? I thought red & blue with white text would be a pretty good combination lol..
Okay, I'll see what other options I can try out..

that red is so saturated lmao
also doesnt pair very well with your bg; I suggest white maybe?
Freddy Nicholas said:
Feb 22, 2016 11:57 PM

May 2015
Isn't cinematography just a part of the art style?

You're watching the wrong anime. Plenty of anime has interesting shots, or at least attempt to. Some anime experiment with it more - KLK, SEL, Texhnolyze. Others just rely on an incredibly unique artstyle - Danganronpa, Tatatami Galaxy, Neptunia.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 23, 2016 1:04 AM

Oct 2014
GesuYarou said:

Yes. It's very difficult to emulate live action cinematography, and as such the dynamics of animated film cinematography and especially so for one as stylized as anime ends up being quite different.

You can tell that certain shot effects used to mimic actual camera work have more significant, different uses to impact the mood or to subtly set the tone of a scene.

TheBrainintheJar said:

You're watching the wrong anime. Plenty of anime has interesting shots, or at least attempt to. Some anime experiment with it more - KLK, SEL, Texhnolyze. Others just rely on an incredibly unique artstyle - Danganronpa, Tatatami Galaxy, Neptunia.

No, and a little bit of yes. Since inherently each frame is drawn and not photographed, of course how it is drawn is relevant to the "cinematography" of animated films. In that way, creating saturated hues, or specific colour palette usage to invoke contrast or emotion, or even to anchor to specific themes, is all part of cinematography.

On the other hand, "art style" on its own in the most general sense usually refers to stylistic choices in how the world and the characters are represented visually. So you can say "the cinematography in this scene was great, thus the way it was expressed through the art was fantastic", but you can't say, "I enjoyed the unique art style of this show, thus the cinematography was good". That isn't saying cinematography is simply a subset of art style (it includes plenty more, the most significant being animation), but more like they should be considered different things in a general sense rather than linked.
Feb 23, 2016 1:09 AM

Jan 2008
Because most of us don't care about it. Me, for example, I only want to be entertained. I'm not wasting time contemplating the cinematography, or directing, or whatever.
Feb 23, 2016 1:16 AM

Mar 2014
Kuma said:
Even A-1 done very well done job in eresed but people don't give single fuck either.
I'd have to disagree with this. There are some noticeably bad shots in the first episode, and it rarely impresses even in later eps.
Feb 23, 2016 1:48 AM

Mar 2015
merryfistmas said:
Kuma said:
Even A-1 done very well done job in eresed but people don't give single fuck either.
I'd have to disagree with this. There are some noticeably bad shots in the first episode, and it rarely impresses even in later eps.
lets just start with ending which most notable one, viewable one, and easier to watch.

Note: what i discuss in here is effort of cinematography, how they animated it both focus of camera and and fluidity between background animation and object animation, and how smooth it executed. even thou they are not perfect like live action, it's still much better than most moved cinematography out there on anime. only moving camera including here. unique camera angel and swicthing one scane to another is not really put many effort on animation.

>@ 0.37-0.39, the birds movevment feel natural with camera movement.
>@ 0.48-0.52 we can se the camera cycrel around electricy poles like rotating 360 degrees when the character imaginary spinning in it. it's fluid as well and don't have incosistency speed.
>same like above background movement like scane above but the object is not move in @0.57-1.03 .
>probably rotoscoped too but the set of table with camera movement in curved line around @1.03-1.04. and right after that, it's change to moving camera in pretty stright focusing on electrycy pole again like some scane above.
>@1.09-1.12 again, back ground play, part one is almost stright camera movement when second is to close camera focus both of them has smooth animation with the object that move.
>@1.17-1.19 as for here, the object (tree in heel) is not move, but agaian, camera angle movement play and background scenery, thou it's steel feel wierd in very far background.
> last part is i like the most. the backgrond scenery movement moved fery fluid as well as object (plane toy) and animated beautifully even the sun sparkle @1.21-1.30.

i would admid some of them not fully hand drawn animation, but even it's rotoscoped and cgi, it's still beautifully edited.

this is just ending. not to mention some really notable part like the second time MC meet the killer with camera focus play and stop movement in the rain which is also animated beautifully.
KumaFeb 23, 2016 1:57 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 23, 2016 1:50 AM

Jan 2015
Cowboy Bebop has excellent cinematography.

Seeing as CB has very little substance, style is all it rides on.
Feb 23, 2016 2:14 AM

Dec 2015
JTricks said:

Here's a great video by RCAnime about the topic. I honestly agree with most of his points.

As a visual medium, good cinematography can usually be used to distinguish a high quality anime from a mediocre/low quality anime.

Great video. Will have to check out some more RC Anime stuff.
Feb 23, 2016 2:33 AM

Apr 2014
TL;DR, If it looks good I probably really like it, that is what this thread is about right?
Feb 23, 2016 2:36 AM

Mar 2015
forgot to mention usually series that has much variety on cinematography usually fansevice-ey show which need nice angle and nice camera focus with many variety to make it more "( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)", lOl.
Feb 23, 2016 2:37 AM

Oct 2011
Majority think that it's not a very significant factor when evaluating a show since they usually focus on story and characters.
Feb 23, 2016 2:48 AM

Aug 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
So something I have rarely heard discussed here on MAL is cinematography in anime.

For me cinematography is important is an important way to hold the viewers even attention even if they aren't actually paying attention to it. Choosing to shoot from interesting angles or move the camera focus when done right can make even two characters sat down talking much more interesting to watch.

Many animes suffer from boring static shots of a characters face where only the mouth moves, almost always shot at a semi close up. This complete lack of any interesting shots starts to put me into a kind of sleepy trance, like the hypnotic effect of the passing center line as you drive down a highway.

But that's just my opinion.
And now I want to know yours.

So is cinematography important to you in anime?
And if so what shows did you find to have particularly good cinematography?

For me Bakemonogatari, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and FLCL are all prime examples of how to do it.

It's simply a more complex thing to talk about in discussions and reviews for a casual viewer. I talk about framing compositions, cinematography, lighting and perspective angles a lot in my publications, because I've relatively more familiar with the medium, with a background in photography.

Not many people talk about OST's in detail either, despite being a very essential part of the anime experience, but that's simply because not everyone understands music orchestration, tone shifts and melodic compositions.

People notice what they know.
Anime talk, music and analysis, plus random moments of inspirations and rants | https://atmafunomena.wordpress.com/
Feb 23, 2016 3:51 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Dunno about MAL, but elsewhere I've seen plenty of praise for Shouwa Genroku Rakugo for its cinematography. I'd say well deserved.

Mint said:
Very disappointed that Makoto Shinkai isn't mentioned here yet, and instead Suzumiya Haruhi and steins;gate?

Love him or hate him, you can't deny Shinkai's absolute forte is incredible cinematography.

This. And what's up with the naysayers. Shinkai's cinematography is on point:

Feb 23, 2016 5:49 AM

Oct 2014
Malarkey said:
Except cinematography is an incredibly difficult art in movies. Every movie has cinematography, but the question is whether it is exceptional or not. Making fantastic scenic compositions are exclusive to only some of the best directors and cinematographers.
Feb 23, 2016 12:51 PM
Mar 2014
@Malarkey
What was so bad about Shokugeki's cinematography? I don't remember anything standing out.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Feb 23, 2016 1:47 PM

May 2015
Mint said:
GesuYarou said:

Yes. It's very difficult to emulate live action cinematography, and as such the dynamics of animated film cinematography and especially so for one as stylized as anime ends up being quite different.

You can tell that certain shot effects used to mimic actual camera work have more significant, different uses to impact the mood or to subtly set the tone of a scene.

TheBrainintheJar said:

No, and a little bit of yes. Since inherently each frame is drawn and not photographed, of course how it is drawn is relevant to the "cinematography" of animated films. In that way, creating saturated hues, or specific colour palette usage to invoke contrast or emotion, or even to anchor to specific themes, is all part of cinematography.

On the other hand, "art style" on its own in the most general sense usually refers to stylistic choices in how the world and the characters are represented visually. So you can say "the cinematography in this scene was great, thus the way it was expressed through the art was fantastic", but you can't say, "I enjoyed the unique art style of this show, thus the cinematography was good". That isn't saying cinematography is simply a subset of art style (it includes plenty more, the most significant being animation), but more like they should be considered different things in a general sense rather than linked.

It sounds to me like cinematography doesn't exist in anime, but it simply the art style of the backgrounds and colorings. Is that how you define cinematography in anime?
Feb 23, 2016 1:49 PM
Jul 2018
The cinematography in Hunter x Hunter (1999) is one of the many reasons as to why I think it's such an outstanding show.

Take a look at how bwatiful this mothafockin' shit is
Feb 23, 2016 1:56 PM

Aug 2015
Shaft did it.. imo, monogatari series has it yeah.

Feb 23, 2016 1:56 PM

Dec 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Mint said:

It sounds to me like cinematography doesn't exist in anime, but it simply the art style of the backgrounds and colorings. Is that how you define cinematography in anime?

Cinematography put as simply as possible is where you aim the camera, how you move it about and what you place in frame. Of course animation doesn't have a camera but we still observe the scene in the exact same was as if there was a camera.
Feb 23, 2016 6:48 PM
Sep 2015
so many but Cannon Fodder from the Memories anthology comes to mind straight away
Feb 23, 2016 7:44 PM

Oct 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:

No, again, the easiest way to describe it would be that the "art style" in the most general sense refers to how the author/artist imagines his world, and the cinematography is how that world is presented to you on the screen. The art style is more of like, how are the characters generally drawn, how is the world generally represented.

I often see this gif posted around here

The way the scene tried to mimic a tracking shot with the slow close up is use of cinematography, for dramatic effect.

To make the point that individual frames also can be relevant cinematography, take a look at some of these shots from the Garden of Words. Individual shot composition can be extremely valuable in how the viewer will take in the scene.

This establishing shot is subtly brilliant. During their earliest encounter, as strangers, the way this shot was taken is used to show the barrier between the characters. But your eyes aren't confused as to what Shinkai wants you to see, since both protagonists are in focus while the pillar is out of focus.

This is one of my personal favourite scenes. Again, the shot attempts to display a similar rhetoric, but in this scene they've grown significantly closer, and yet there's still something in the way of their relationship. It's possible this also attempts to symbolize the whittling down of the barrier as they grew closer to each other, but that there are still things holding them back. This is only the tip of the iceberg.
Feb 23, 2016 8:16 PM

Nov 2011
I admit that I tend to neglect cinematography when it comes to critical evaluation. Even if I would say the cinematography was excellent, I don't place a lot of weight on it. Good usage of it can have some interesting effects, but the only time I even notice it is when it's particularly different from the norm, such as in Makoto Shinkai movies or some Shaft series, like Ef. Even shows like One Piece have interesting shots on occasion, though, like this or this (courtesy of @FloatsBoats); when you know the context of the relationship between the characters, the scene composition adds a lot to the feel of what's happening.

The only anime at the moment that I'd say I'm looking forward to (partially) because of cinematography is Kyoani's Hibike! Euphonium.

Edit: Art style and animation aren't the same as cinematography even though there is overlap. I only recall one or two interesting shots in Katanagatari despite the unique art style, and I don't recall any particularly noteworthy shots in Sword of the Stranger despite the excellent animation. However, the action scenes in, say, Ping Pong were interesting because of the way they used manga-like panels to convey a sense of speed and intensity.

There's often more than one way to achieve an effect as well. Using the Ping Pong example, a similar effect could have been achieved by focusing the camera on the ball itself, with sharp panning each time it was hit by a paddle.
TripleSRankFeb 23, 2016 8:39 PM
Feb 24, 2016 1:08 AM

May 2015
Mint said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

No, again, the easiest way to describe it would be that the "art style" in the most general sense refers to how the author/artist imagines his world, and the cinematography is how that world is presented to you on the screen. The art style is more of like, how are the characters generally drawn, how is the world generally represented.

The way the scene tried to mimic a tracking shot with the slow close up is use of cinematography, for dramatic effect.

To make the point that individual frames also can be relevant cinematography, take a look at some of these shots from the Garden of Words. Individual shot composition can be extremely valuable in how the viewer will take in the scene.

This establishing shot is subtly brilliant. During their earliest encounter, as strangers, the way this shot was taken is used to show the barrier between the characters. But your eyes aren't confused as to what Shinkai wants you to see, since both protagonists are in focus while the pillar is out of focus.

This is one of my personal favourite scenes. Again, the shot attempts to display a similar rhetoric, but in this scene they've grown significantly closer, and yet there's still something in the way of their relationship. It's possible this also attempts to symbolize the whittling down of the barrier as they grew closer to each other, but that there are still things holding them back. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

Point taken. I'll try to notice this stuff more when I watch and review anime.
Feb 24, 2016 1:30 AM

Dec 2015
Mint said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Yes, these are are all good examples of interesting cinematic choices.
Feb 24, 2016 8:04 AM

Apr 2015
It's extremely important for me. I always talk about great shots when I notice them
Feb 24, 2016 9:00 AM
Mar 2012
Op, people talk about cinematography a lot - it's just a long word so most people just write direction. It's kind of the director who has final say on all this stuff after all - most people just blanket discuss art style, technical art quality, animation and cinematography at the same time.

Anime has interesting cinematography sure, but it's often tied to the art style since they are both essential to creating the tone of the series. Of course all the elements of an anime play a part in this, but we're talking about the art bits specifically here I guess.

By the same token you could ask why people don't talk about animation in anime - speed lines vs no speed lines and the choices in how much the characters deform and when. But people do, again it mostly just falls under direction or general discussion.
Feb 24, 2016 9:07 AM

Apr 2010
Guess for the same reason they don't talk about it when it comes to any other movie\TV show. People don't have what to say.

Feb 24, 2016 9:48 AM

Nov 2011
I often don't consider cinematography simply because it can be more difficult to do in 2D animation, but I feel that if more unique methods were used, it could definitely even make the mundane more interesting.

I'm quite fond of what I've seen by Satoshi Kon with how he transitions between scenes, especially in Paprika.

FLCL is an example of what anime can do that other mediums can't do, however, and is a shining example of why I like 2D animation.
Feb 24, 2016 10:45 AM

Jul 2014
While i usually don't care about it, but i think Gangsta has extremely good cinematography. As a whole the show was lacking but i liked a lot of the little things that they made.
Little things like when we first see our characters they see a cat, in the next scene you can clearly see the cat was given a plate to eat by them. It wasn't ever talked about but it established the characters without saying a word. Another scene from the first episode when Worick was talking to Alex on the stairs, the camera zoomed in slightly to the window where Worick was standing when he saw Alex the first time. I don't know why but i liked the work of the director a lot.

In Noragami, i always liked the sound of a drop of water that happens just before other characters notice Nora. Linking a character to a sound is something i don't remember seeing anywhere else. (I am not sure if that is considered cinematography)
MagwitchOoFeb 24, 2016 11:03 AM
Feb 25, 2016 1:40 PM

May 2015
EfiChan said:
Guess for the same reason they don't talk about it when it comes to any other movie\TV show. People don't have what to say.

That's said. Good cinematography can help define the style and the atmosphere of the anime. Check the above examples someone posted.
Feb 25, 2016 1:47 PM

Apr 2010
TheBrainintheJar said:
EfiChan said:

That's said. Good cinematography can help define the style and the atmosphere of the anime. Check the above examples someone posted.

I didn't say no one cares in the world, but I guess most don't really underastand at that. I never heard people talking about it.

Feb 25, 2016 1:50 PM

Apr 2013
I do appreciate it when it's well done, but what's there to say?
Feb 25, 2016 10:18 PM

Oct 2014
EfiChan said:

I didn't say no one cares in the world, but I guess most don't really underastand at that. I never heard people talking about it.

You're right. The average viewer doesn't and won't care about cinematography in detail. Hence why this thread was started. To bring attention to it.

The thing is, whether we like it or not, great cinematography mostly has a subconscious effect. There's no way we can sit there, taking in frame by frame analysis without wrecking our enjoyment of the show in general, or watching a recorded version and pausing to contemplate and analyse why each shot or scene was depicted as it was. It's only when more avant garde or revolutionary methodology is used of which more people take notice.

Most people just want to sit and analyze the themes of a show, some want to just have a good time with relatable characters, some want to be immersed in a thrilling plot. There are also those who want to appreciate the beauty of film making, to understand why a certain scene, show, engaged us the way it did.

Though far from being the most important factor, IMO cinematography is something that differentiates the upper echelon of titles, the good from the excellent, the interesting from the intriguing. Not to mention visionary cinematography can set the standard for film (everyone references satoshi kon as a major influence for a lot of the film industry these days).
Feb 26, 2016 12:58 AM

May 2015
Mint said:
EfiChan said:

You're right. The average viewer doesn't and won't care about cinematography in detail. Hence why this thread was started. To bring attention to it.

The thing is, whether we like it or not, great cinematography mostly has a subconscious effect. There's no way we can sit there, taking in frame by frame analysis without wrecking our enjoyment of the show in general, or watching a recorded version and pausing to contemplate and analyse why each shot or scene was depicted as it was. It's only when more avant garde or revolutionary methodology is used of which more people take notice.

Most people just want to sit and analyze the themes of a show, some want to just have a good time with relatable characters, some want to be immersed in a thrilling plot. There are also those who want to appreciate the beauty of film making, to understand why a certain scene, show, engaged us the way it did.

Though far from being the most important factor, IMO cinematography is something that differentiates the upper echelon of titles, the good from the excellent, the interesting from the intriguing. Not to mention visionary cinematography can set the standard for film (everyone references satoshi kon as a major influence for a lot of the film industry these days).

The average viewer also doesn't tend to think too deeply about what they read/watch. I mean, my friends don't take films so seriously and they get puzzled when I explain why I enjoy a film for reasons X, Y and Z. Some people are more interested in how stories work.
Feb 26, 2016 2:13 AM

Feb 2016
xaos12 said:
In b4 ERASED fags mentioning abt the best cinematography.

OT- monogatari, anything from shaft is well done.
Yo, you got a problem with ERASED???

Sep 20, 2017 10:58 PM

Nov 2011
Fishing this thread out of the depths because AD needs more quality discussion.

My stance on cinematography has changed since my last post a year and a half ago. It was only around that time that time that I started considering cinematography more seriously rather than as an afterthought, so my perspective on it hadn't quite shifted into giving it the importance I do now.

Like just about any other storytelling device or fanservice, I don't think cinematography can carry a show by itself, but whether it's used as a vehicle for visual storytelling, artistic expression, or merely visual interest, I do have a lot of respect for cinematography, and if I think it contributes enough to the fun or interest factor of a show I do think it's worthy of causing a rating bump. I'm now in the habit of paying attention to shot composition a lot more than I used to, and in combination with my increased awareness of animation quality, my overall visual awareness when watching anime has heightened a lot.

I know stuff like this might sound boring at a glance to the less-analytical types, but I think being able to consciously process the peculiarities of cinematography and sakuga has made the anime medium a lot more fun and exciting in ways that were previously closed off to me. When I first got into anime more heavily back in 2014 I heavily scoffed at the idea of watching anime purely for visual-interest purposes, and while I still lean moreso to the story-oriented side of things even today, now I just can't help but think it was entirely wrong and unfun of me to think that way back then. There is so much interesting and fun stuff you can do with animation even from a purely visual standpoint.

So yeah, I really would like to see more (informed) talk about cinematography in the anime community, as well as about general animation quality and sakuga. It doesn't matter if one merely gets into it for the increased visual interest it would give you or if it's for discussion about how it's used to artistic effect; I think just about everyone who would say they are a fan of anime as a medium (rather than specific titles) would benefit to some degree by being more aware of how the visuals are utilized.

The RCAnime video floating around earlier in this thread is a good primer for anyone who's a total newbie to cinematography. It won't necessarily get your mind in gear for correlating shot composition with a thematic narrative, but the mere act of explicitly pointing out shots that are interesting cinematography (while explaining cinematography's importance) goes a long way toward at least making you more consciously aware of when the camera and/or shot composition is being used in a particular way when watching anime.

For sakuga, while RCAnime has another good primer video for complete newbies, I don't think merely explaining the basic concept of sakuga and showing examples of it will in itself make you more consciously aware of how the animation in a show is being used aside from noting the basic style and (possibly) whether or not the shot is sakuga. Because of that I would strongly recommend this series of youtube videos as a follow up for anyone interested in recognizing animation tropes and generally getting a better handle on recognizing sakuga when you see it.
TripleSRankSep 20, 2017 11:06 PM
Sep 21, 2017 11:47 PM

Apr 2015
I do wish there were more discussions about cinematography, but I can understand why it isn't so. First, a basic definition of cinematography is the art of making motion pictures. That is a rather all-encompassing definition. It would be easier to break down into elements of cinematography: exposure, shot size, angles, camera movement, composition, depth of field, color, lighting, framing, etc. On that level, you could analyze how one or a combination of elements affect a particular shot or aid the overall narrative.

For me, a show has excellent cinematography when the visuals (which also include art style and designs) alone can convey a narrative; meaning without sound or subtitles. I sometimes do this when re-watching a show. I turn off the sound and subtitles, so that I focus solely on the visuals.

Here are some scenes that I believe have excellent cinematography:
(Miss Hokusai)

(March Comes in like a Lion)

(Bakemonogatari)
GraumannSep 21, 2017 11:59 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why so much hate for Sousou no Frieren?

Gashadokur0 - 1 hour ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
25 seconds ago

» Your favorite anime of each year from 2010 - 2020 ( 1 2 3 4 )

xAki1ra_ - May 21, 2021

163 by xAki1ra_ »»
39 seconds ago

» Spoiled by the algorithm

zaako - 4 hours ago

11 by APolygons2 »»
4 minutes ago

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - May 6

44 by RobertBobert »»
4 minutes ago

» Who had beef or fought in anime like the current drake vs kendrick lamar?

FarWalker - Yesterday

16 by TsutanaiFuun »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.