Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 2, 2010 3:35 PM

Jan 2010
--
test1389Nov 15, 2017 4:14 PM
There is no meaning in conflict. But there is meaning in destruction.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 2, 2010 4:59 PM

Apr 2008
Music in most anime is very well written, despite if it's unusual or not, you may find unusual music in a lot of non unusual anime.

With this thought in mind, I'll post some titles that fit and that don't fit this clubs relations list.

If you're into jazz, then I'd recommend you to check on the Cowboy Bebop and Lupin the Third OSTs. In the case of Lupin you even get a Bossa Nova flavour as an extra.

I'll mention now some personal favourites that I do remember on the top of my head (sorry if I went beyond the purposes of this thread.).

Queen Millennia - My absolute all time favourite anime OST. This one was made by Kitaro. Japanese master of "New Age" music, atmospheric, travelling and spiritual music that will make you get out of your body.

Angel's Egg - What can I say. a perfect atmosphere builder, not everyone can enjoy this, but it is beautiful.

Haibane Renmei OSTs - Japanese vocal works with some distinct music.

Berserk - I'm not that keen to electronic music but Shuu Hirasawa does deliver a very good dose of electronic suspense here.

Monster - Mostly Neo Classical with some Atmospheric/Industrial tunes here and there. The neo-classical ones are just beautiful. Surrender to the power of "Drift Mind".

Legend Of Galactic Heroes - This one is mostly composed of classic composers, if you enjoy classical music this one is totally epic..

Mushishi - Beautiful Japanese orientated Folk music.

Nodame Cantabile - Also provides some quality classical time.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Another big OST, there are moments of excellent quality music here and there.

Saint Seiya - Big OST. Excellent OST and one of the best of the anime spectrum, for it's length and quality. Many classical excellent compositions here, but there are some that blends perfectly the balance between classical music meets heavy metal of the eighties.

Seirei No Moribito - Also an Japanese Folk flavoured OST, very good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naturally, for a better enjoyment of the OSTs, a prior viewing of the mentioned anime is needed but not necessarily, if you're into good music, you'll enjoy them anyway.

Sorry for the big post.
Jan 15, 2010 11:12 PM

Jan 2008
Stunning in both art AND music? Tekkon Kinkreet is the easy answer. Plaid did a wonderful job conveying the right emotions in music. That movie is unlike anything I've seen before, and I still have yet to see another animation of that caliber.
Feb 24, 2010 6:54 AM

May 2009
Well I must say that I'm not really a great fan of the music in Anime, actually I tend to jump over the OP and ignore the ED, still I have 5 OST in my PC and I love all of them. here they are:

NGE - My favorite OP of all time, it's just perfect. Also being my favorite Series may be influential. Overall the music isn't that of amazing but it fits pretty good in most of the scenes. Lastly I wouldn't recommend it because of the music.

Boogiepop - This series has to most unusual OST ever, and it just fits perfectly to the series. It's a kind of Dementia Jazz and it sounds great. I highly recommend it.

Angels Egg - This was the first OST I've gotten myself. Although all the people complain how this movie is slow paced, it was my quickest 1h20m . I just loved it, one of my all-time favorite movies. I've rewatched it some times now, and every time I've rewatched it I loved the music even more. It's just stunning.

Ghost in the shell - This movie is a must watch for every Anime fan out there. And one of the reasons for it is because of the music. Kawaii Kenji just did a perfect work, while creating a music that is a merge of eletronica and Japanese Folklore Music.

Akira - My favorite OST. Music by Geinoh Yamashirogumi. This I can't describe it. You must listen to it.

Hope this helps, have fun :)
Mar 22, 2012 7:16 PM

Apr 2008
So, I will likely be annoying and either edit or re-post to this several times as this is a passionately favourite issue of mine and has been known to be a deal breaker for whether I like/will continue to watch a series.

Currently, the full OST's that have won my heart are already included in this forum, which one one of my main reasons for holding out so long.

They are:
Seirei no Moribito
Junni Kokki
Angel's Egg
Hibane Renmei
Tekkon Kinkreet

Also, most of Kanno Yoko work: PSME, Wolf's Rain, Ghost in the Shell

I also enjoy the OSTs for:

Sirius no Densetsu (The Sea Prince & The Fire Child) - my first encounter with a good soundtrack and completely responsible for my love and anal retention with regard to a worthy film score.

Andersen Douwa Ningyo Hime (The Little Mermaid) - my second favourite/encounter and why I learned to play the harp at a young age instead of the piano or some other sensible such instrument for a small child to learn.

//.hack
Noein
Clannad (or at least most of the songs)

Top three favourite [single] songs to come from an anime:
Overnight - AYA (Chevalier d'Eon ED)
Ningyo Hime- Tanaka Rie (Chobits ED2)
Harinezumi- Azuma Hitomi (Fractale OP)
Nov 13, 2012 6:54 AM

Apr 2011
If we must consider both music and art I go with Mononoke. The art is great and Takanashi Yasuharu, who wrote the music, is just a genius.

If you want to give it a try:

He also wrote Shiki's OST which I think is absolutely great, but for what concerns the looks the show is "less unsual" (but still very good).
I also love Hirasawa's work for Berserk and Iwasaki's for Rurouni Kenshin.
Dec 1, 2012 6:58 PM
Apr 2011
Byteflux said:
So, what anime would you say has that touch of magnificently unusual style/art and extraordinarily stunning music?

In both Art/style i'll go with Texhnolyze. The ost in his anime the music bring so much emotions, really immersive and go so well with all the situations. The anime itself is pretty unusual too.

I'm also a hardcore fan of Susumu Hirasawa work specialy for what he made for Berserk and Paprika. This (unique) music style go so well with Berserk universe.

Jan 1, 2013 3:59 PM

Apr 2008
Otrajenie said:
If we must consider both music and art I go with Mononoke. The art is great and Takanashi Yasuharu, who wrote the music, is just a genius.

If you want to give it a try:

He also wrote Shiki's OST which I think is absolutely great, but for what concerns the looks the show is "less unsual" (but still very good).
I also love Hirasawa's work for Berserk and Iwasaki's for Rurouni Kenshin.

I agree, Mononoke has some of the most beautiful art and music I've seen in awhile! Thanks for bringing up Takanashi Yasuharu as I wasn't aware he also wrote for Shiki and that has been on my "must see" list for ages. ^_^
Feb 3, 2013 8:19 AM
Hot Stuff

Mar 2012
I suppose the art style in Elfen Lied isn't that special, but "Lilium" by Kumiko Noma is so beautiful and emotional.
Feb 19, 2013 3:44 PM

Feb 2011
when it comes to music nothing can compare to Interstella5555
Mar 30, 2013 7:11 AM

Aug 2012
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Sakamichi no Apollon
Nodame Cantabile
xxxHolic
Lupin The Third: Mine Fujiko To Iu Onna
Ani*Kuri15

K-On and DMC fall on a totally different category of cool soundtracks because of how intertwined the music was with the story. Almost like Sakamichi, almost.

In general Shaft has pretty cool music lately. Bones and Brains Base sure know how to pick -mostly openings, but there are a few pretty good ending- singles. KyoAni tries. Mostly rock and a couple of ballads.

Also, try watching a few Mameshiba shorts and not end up singing the title later.
Apr 14, 2013 6:13 PM

Oct 2012
one ost that really stood out for me was that of the Kara no Kyoukai series, composed by Yuki Kajiura ^^
Jul 25, 2013 5:03 AM
Dec 2012
Music is what makes anything go alive including anime. These are the few outstanding OSTs I've found.

Psycho-Pass: I haven't gotten to hear the whole OST yet but there are a few tracks that are simple amazing, to the point where I've gotten myself in tears. Especially the main theme, it's like you can feel the anime's atmosphere just by listening to it, perfect.

Blood+: The score is composed by Hans Zimmer, so what can you expect? Of course it's brilliant! Some is calming yet some builds tension well. The theme for the character Diva is just simply amazing: amazing vocal, amazing instrumental.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Some touching tracks suit the sad scenes and some are over exaggerated but it doesn't seem to bother you much unless you're hearing the music alone. The over exaggerated tracks are needed because of the powerful scenes. The Russian song "Bratja" featured in the OST and in the anime is wonderful. Very touching, I cried a few times listening and looking at the lyrics.

Higurashi When They Cry: As a horror and thriller show, the music has dedicated a lot to it. Most of the tracks are mysterious and somewhat eerie. Although a lot of the tracks are quite short but there are almost 40 tracks in it. The main theme is eerie but surprisingly calming.

Jigoku Shoujo (all three seasons): Takanasho Yasuharu is an amazing composer. The soundtracks featured in Jigoku Shoujo is just simply amazing. It builds tension well yet it's somewhat calming. Not to mention some are also quite scary. I'm a big fan of this OST.
Jul 30, 2013 2:09 PM

Apr 2008
Moro23 said:
one ost that really stood out for me was that of the Kara no Kyoukai series, composed by Yuki Kajiura ^^

Thank you so much for this recommendation! I am a huge fan of Kaijura Yuki and Kalafina, but had not seen or heard of this series, so this was a real treat to find!! ^_^
May 9, 2017 12:12 AM
Jul 2014
ACCA 13 has a great OP, maybe the best out of the Winter 2017 anime
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» More Titles ( 1 2 3 )

GOKU_NO_SORROW - Jan 12, 2008

109 by molodjez »»
Dec 25, 2021 9:08 AM

» Why is Aku No Hana the anime is so hated?

Royce - Jun 21, 2013

7 by SamuraiSteve »»
Jan 25, 2018 2:16 PM

» What is the unusual anime you have seem.

Royce - Mar 29, 2014

3 by Fab3r_of_will »»
Jun 17, 2017 5:21 PM

» Introductions

hartschaotica - Dec 4, 2011

4 by chitochito »»
Oct 15, 2016 6:38 AM

» Art Student anime

starshinesMonet - Mar 22, 2012

1 by titaniachkt »»
Apr 6, 2012 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.