Forum Settings
Forums

Why are animated shows more popular in Asia?

New
Feb 14, 2016 3:07 PM

Sep 2009
I may be wrong, but animated shows appear to be a much larger industry in Asia (Not just Japan, but China and Taiwan too), while in the West, we appear to favor shows/movies with actual actors (Hollywood etc.).

And while Japanese anime itself may have some popularity here, the West doesn't really have much in regards to its own animation industry. Western cartoons tend to be ridiculous and comedic, normally targeted towards child audiences, and the only cartoons off the top of my head that could be taken otherwise are Disney and Marvel/DC Comics related stuff (that superhero stuff, which Japan appears to be getting in on). Japan has tons of studios releasing tons of animated TV shows each season, most of which are adapted blu-ray and sold too.

So yeah, why is animation such a huge industry in Asia and not in the West? Is it just because Japanese people are horrible live-actors (as opposed to voice, as may be caused by their repressive culture)?

Edit:
Obviously some people don't understand the difference between something "less ridiculous" such as Batman, and something "aboslutely ridiculous," such as Tom and Jerry or Spongebob (and also the genre that the West appears to focus on). And the existence of all of these examples doesn't change the fact that their popularity and size of industry in their own country are far smaller compared to anime in Japan.

It'd be nice if people wouldn't list crap without making a point.
MortalMelancholyFeb 14, 2016 3:30 PM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 14, 2016 3:08 PM

Jan 2013
What is Disney?
What is Pixar?
What is Dreamworks?
What is DC Universe?
What is Marvel?

You're only seeing what you want to see.
Feb 14, 2016 3:10 PM

Jan 2009
simply because there are just more people watching (overpopulation = more demand)

and i dont know about you but here in south east asia, there are more fans of live action shows like telenovelas, that majority of anime fans here are just those who have internet and are young
Feb 14, 2016 3:12 PM

Sep 2009
TR-8RCaim said:
What is Disney?
What is Pixar?
What is Dreamworks?
What is DC Universe?
What is Marvel?

Bra, I seriously ain't seeing it. And if you don't know them, then Western animation must be even smaller than I thought.
Feb 14, 2016 3:14 PM

Dec 2015
TR-8RCaim said:
What is Disney?
What is Pixar?
What is Dreamworks?
What is DC Universe?
What is Marvel?

Also Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Adult Swim
Feb 14, 2016 3:16 PM

Feb 2013
Alternatively,

What is dorama?
What is bollywood?
What is korean dramas?
What is japanese game shows?
What are hong kong action movies?

But yeah.. animation shows are really big in Japan, while the west is bigger on animated movies.. Also, i don't think the rest of Asia shares the same passion for them chinese cartoons
Feb 14, 2016 3:19 PM

Aug 2013
Live action shows especially Jdramas and Kdramas are far more popular than anime in Asia. Anime is a niche thing even in Japan and the most popular anime in Japan are kids anime like Doraemon, Shin Chan, Sazae- san etc.
Feb 14, 2016 3:20 PM

Aug 2015
romagia said:
Alternatively,

What is dorama?
What is bollywood?
What is korean dramas?
What is japanese game shows?
What are hong kong action movies?

But yeah.. animation shows are really big in Japan, while the west is bigger on animated movies.. Also, i don't think the rest of Asia shares the same passion for them chinese cartoons

trust me brother Chinese cartoon and drama has already conquered asia
Feb 14, 2016 3:21 PM

Sep 2013
It's nationalistic pride, they don't want to watch anything by asians.
Show an older person anime and they dismiss it as "Chinese cartoons" while praising western ones.
ichii_1Feb 14, 2016 3:29 PM
Feb 14, 2016 3:24 PM

Jan 2013
What is Newgrounds?
What is Youtube?
What is Egoraptor?
What is EddsWorld?
What is Harry Partridge?
What is psychicpebbles?
What is TIE Fighter?
What is Lucasfilm Animation?
What is Warner Bros. Animation?
What is 20th Century Fox Animation?

I'm not even including the French animation industry because that's a entire power house of its own.
PeenusWeenusCaimFeb 14, 2016 3:28 PM
Feb 14, 2016 3:32 PM

Sep 2009
TR-8RCaim said:
What is Newgrounds?
What is Youtube?
What is Egoraptor?
What is EddsWorld?
What is Harry Partridge?
What is psychicpebbles?
What is TIE Fighter?

I'm not even including the French animation industry because that's a entire power house of its own.

Your listed studios and "other things" are still relatively small scale. And I could care less about froggies, America IS the West.
Feb 14, 2016 3:33 PM

Aug 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
TR-8RCaim said:
What is Newgrounds?
What is Youtube?
What is Egoraptor?
What is EddsWorld?
What is Harry Partridge?
What is psychicpebbles?
What is TIE Fighter?

Your listed studios and "other things" are still relatively small scale. And I could care less about froggies, America IS the West.
Western Europe has always also been part of the West genius.
Feb 14, 2016 3:33 PM
Dec 2014
I think that animated shows are the opposite of east asian culture and society. Harem come from the desire of a relationship, but young japanese people have problems with building such a relationship. Work comes first. In western countries this isn't such a problem. Archetypes like kuudere or dandere come from the fact that japanese people are shy and focused on keeping outward appearance. In SOLs people just wish for an idealized perfect world. This kind of stuff can better be realized in animated works.
Feb 14, 2016 3:35 PM
Mar 2011
TR-8RCaim said:
What is Disney?
What is Pixar?
What is Dreamworks?
What is DC Universe?
What is Marvel?

Marvel onwed by disney the rights ot most of pixars bigger franchises also owned by disney

DC owned by WB
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 14, 2016 3:36 PM
Mar 2011
TR-8RCaim said:
What is Newgrounds?
What is Youtube?
What is Egoraptor?
What is EddsWorld?
What is Harry Partridge?
What is psychicpebbles?
What is TIE Fighter?

most of them are owned by disney fact
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Feb 14, 2016 3:38 PM

Feb 2013
^oh, if only disney did the kind of animation you'd find on newgrounds...
Feb 14, 2016 3:39 PM

Aug 2013
DateYutaka said:
TR-8RCaim said:
What is Newgrounds?
What is Youtube?
What is Egoraptor?
What is EddsWorld?
What is Harry Partridge?
What is psychicpebbles?
What is TIE Fighter?

From that list only Lucasfilm is owned by Disney.
Feb 14, 2016 3:41 PM

Sep 2009
DrGeroCreation said:
DateYutaka said:

... Just looked at your list, one is youtube, and another happens to post videos ON youtube. You can hardly call that part of an industry.
Feb 14, 2016 3:43 PM

Aug 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
DrGeroCreation said:

... Just looked at your list, one is youtube, and another happens to post videos ON youtube. You can hardly call that part of an industry.
Youtube is a platform. DC, Federatorstudios, Hasbro use youtube to post their animated web series.
Feb 14, 2016 3:43 PM

Jan 2013
Unlike Japan, the animation industry in the west has grown large enough to include internet platforms like Youtube as a viable means of monetizing and sharing creative works.
TyrelFeb 14, 2016 3:58 PM
Feb 14, 2016 3:44 PM
Mar 2011
outside of Disney [ who own alot o other studios or at lest co own the rights t alot of other studios works]

there is no fully independent studou n the us know or made famous by animation in the us

WB animation it part of a major moivie studio hell even dreamwork animation part of dream works is owned by ambiln studios 7

HB owned by Warner need i go on

Japan has alot more studios that are fully owned by there founders and are not just sub hourse of bigger movie studios

Feb 14, 2016 3:46 PM

Jun 2015
Japan sees animation as more of an artform than the west does.
Feb 14, 2016 3:47 PM

Jan 2013
DateYutaka said:
outside of Disney [ who own alot o other studios or at lest co own the rights t alot of other studios works]

there is no fully independent studou n the us know or made famous by animation in the us

WB animation it part of a major moivie studio hell even dreamwork animation part of dream works is owned by ambiln studios 7

Japan has alot more studios that are fully owned by there founders and are not just sub hourse of bigger movie studios
So you're saying Warner Bros. animation is irrelevant because they dabble in live action too?

Thank god you live in Japan, I don't know what I'd do if you were an animation critic in the west.
AltoRoark99 said:
You're joking right? Animation is HUGE in the west. The quality of animations are better than the Japanese as well.
Feb 14, 2016 3:49 PM

Aug 2013
There are so much anime released because anime are just adaptions of source material. Any popular manga, LN,VN, videogame at some point is going to get an anime adaption. Most cartoons now are originals and even cartoons part of franchises usually aren't adaptions. The anime industry is like Hollywood super commercialized and mass produced while American cartoons now are like Indie.
Feb 14, 2016 3:49 PM
Mar 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
DateYutaka said:

i ment ownd by dinsey or otherwise part of bigget houses

and i dont count indie animation in this debate since out side pf animation buffs like us who here watches [ fully indepdant animation] i beleve egorator is part of MCN On YT so he not fully indendane

i use Kojj yuri as the biggest japanese indie animator ever

Feb 14, 2016 3:52 PM

Jan 2013
Indie animation is just as relevant to the industry as big budget animation studios. Excluding them from the argument only speaks of your ignorance.
Feb 14, 2016 3:52 PM
Mar 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
There are so much anime released because anime are just adaptions of source material. Any popular manga, LN,VN, videogame at some point is going to get an anime adaption. Most cartoons now are originals and even cartoons part of franchises usually aren't adaptions. The anime industry is like Hollywood super commercialized and mass produced while American cartoons now are like Indie.

disnsey are well know for adaptations and use that term loosly they butcher most of there adaptions
TR-8RCaim said:
DateYutaka said:

So you're saying Warner Bros. animation is irrelevant because they dabble in live action too?

Thank god you live in Japan, I don't know what I'd do if you were an animation critic in the west.
AltoRoark99 said:
You're joking right? Animation is HUGE in the west. The quality of animations are better than the Japanese as well.

lol i love all animation im just more partial to Euro animation than US animation wehn i comes ot the west

Feb 14, 2016 3:53 PM

Aug 2013
DateYutaka said:
DrGeroCreation said:

i ment ownd by dinsey or otherwise part of bigget houses

and i dont count indie animation in this debate since out side pf animation buffs like us who here watches [ fully indepdant animation] i beleve egorator is part of MCN On YT so he not fully indendane

i use Kojj yuri as the biggest japanese indie animator ever
You only said Disney and inide stuff is still animation whether you want to believe so or not.
DrGeroCreationFeb 14, 2016 3:57 PM
Feb 14, 2016 3:56 PM

Aug 2013
DateYutaka said:

disnsey are well know for adaptations and use that term loosly they butcher most of there adaptions
Disney stuff can hardly be called adaptions because they tend to be very different from the original.
Feb 14, 2016 3:56 PM
Mar 2011
TR-8RCaim said:
Indie animation is just as relevant to the industry as big budget animation studios. Excluding them from the argument only speaks of your ignorance.

in mondern times it is not since no indie animaotr be it japan or eu or us or any were has the top of the rage animation softwere that top studio do

musicis fare to comperre indie to major label stuff since its more based on Pure Talent at song writing and instrumentation then who has the most money

Feb 14, 2016 3:58 PM
Mar 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
DateYutaka said:

Disney stuff can hardly be called adaptions because they tend to be very different from the original.

they use the name of the work thus it an adaptation why use the name of a famous work be it public domain or not [ yes most disnety adpations are public domain] are still adaption in my book

Feb 14, 2016 3:59 PM

Jan 2013
DateYutaka said:
DrGeroCreation said:

How is that a bad thing? What's so wrong with taking an idea and creating a new spin on it?
Feb 14, 2016 4:01 PM

Jan 2013
DateYutaka said:
TR-8RCaim said:

in mondern times it is not since no indie animaotr be it japan or eu or us or any were has the top of the rage animation softwere that top studio do

musicis fare to comperre indie to major label stuff since its more based on Pure Talent at song writing and instrumentation then who has the most money
You don't need expensive animation software or big budgeting department to make quality animations. Drawing is just as talent-based as music.

Once again, I breathe a sigh of relief knowing that you're not an animation critic in the west.
Feb 14, 2016 4:01 PM

Aug 2013
DateYutaka said:
DrGeroCreation said:

they use the name of the work thus it an adaptation why use the name of a famous work be it public domain or not [ yes most disnety adpations are public domain] are still adaption in my book
LOL no that's not how it works. Having the same name as the source material doesn't automatically make something an adaption.
Feb 14, 2016 4:03 PM

Jul 2011
Because you see what you want to see and you aren't open to opinions contrary to your own.
Feb 14, 2016 4:03 PM
Mar 2011
TR-8RCaim said:
DateYutaka said:

How is that a bad thing? What's so wrong with taking an idea and creating a new spin on it?

if you happen ot be fan of the novel /play/Opera they adapt tlike i am for alot of the stuff they have adpated

and Japan look at wmt have done better apataions foe western novel than Disney[ well minus le mis toei did that better than Nippon animation did and betetr than disney did Notre dame du paris]

Feb 14, 2016 4:06 PM

Oct 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
Live action shows especially Jdramas and Kdramas are far more popular than anime in Asia. Anime is a niche thing even in Japan and the most popular anime in Japan are kids anime like Doraemon, Shin Chan, Sazae- san etc.

Anime is a niche thing in Japan which is debatable imo, but manga is definitely not niche in Japan.
Feb 14, 2016 4:08 PM

Jan 2013

This animation, made with love and fine attention to detail, is irrelevant because it was made by one guy.

This hamster meme anime, however, is relevant because it was made by a studio.

???
Feb 14, 2016 4:10 PM
Mar 2011
TR-8RCaim said:
DateYutaka said:

You don't need expensive animation software or big budgeting department to make quality animations. Drawing is just as talent-based as music.

Once again, I breathe a sigh of relief knowing that you're not an animation critic in the west.

right how come none of your western indie animations get international animation awards [ not talking Oscars] there is quie few animaton awards in Japan that are open to international animation hell some have won like award at TIFA for exmaple among many others]

hell frozen won ever major awrd in japan that is open to international films last years when it come ot animation not that im huge fan of frozen bit there you go

and some Japanese and korean and eu indie anmations were on shorts list form them awards too but no us indie animation why is this?

Feb 14, 2016 4:11 PM
Mar 2011
keragamming said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Anime is a niche thing in Japan which is debatable imo, but manga is definitely not niche in Japan.

hes part right the anime loved my mal is niche here most anime hated or not known on mal is mainstream in japan

Feb 14, 2016 4:11 PM

Aug 2013
Something "less ridiculous" or "more ridiculous" doesn't somehow allow you to dismiss that it's animation, and that it's very popular.
『パイル』| Twitter
Feb 14, 2016 4:12 PM
Feb 2016
Animations in Asia are geared more towards general audience of a bigger spectrum of ages rather than specifically children like in America. In America, rarely are animations watched by all ages rather than the audience the show was made for. Such shows would be "Adventure Time" and "Stephen Universe".
Feb 14, 2016 4:13 PM

Jan 2013
Who the fuck cares about awards given out by a bunch of old men in a tight-knit committee?

As long as the work is entertaining and pleases an audience, then that's all that matters. You should base your opinion on the work itself, not what others think.

But then again, I don't think this will ever go to your head since you parade your guidelines on "TV ratings" and muh "merchandise sales"
PeenusWeenusCaimFeb 14, 2016 4:28 PM
Feb 14, 2016 4:15 PM

Feb 2013
TR-8RCaim said:
As long as the work is entertaining and pleases an audience, then that's all that matters.
i like my anime to be audience pleasing, but not entertaining
Feb 14, 2016 4:17 PM

Sep 2015
TR-8RCaim said:

This animation, made with love and fine attention to detail, is irrelevant because it was made by one guy.

This hamster meme anime, however, is relevant because it was made by a studio.

???
That "Hamster meme anime" is relevant because the producers had an advertisement campaign and owned a time slot in a TV station. How do you want that an audience enjoy a show if they don't even know it existed?
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Feb 14, 2016 4:21 PM

Jan 2013
-Senpai- said:
That "Hamster meme anime" is relevant because the producers had an advertisement campaign and owned a time slot in a TV station. How do you want that an audience enjoy a show if they don't even know it existed?
The TIE Fighter animation had no producers, was made by one guy, had no advertising campaign, and didn't own a time slot in a TV station. Yet it received over 5 million views and met with overwhelmingly positive reception on a platform that is heavily saturated with other works.

I don't know, maybe by being GOOD?
PeenusWeenusCaimFeb 14, 2016 4:24 PM
Feb 14, 2016 4:23 PM

Oct 2015
I think the title is slightly fallacious. Anime is a big thing in Japan though. I don't want to sound obvious here but it's really just... cultural differences. It's what every Japenese kid sees on TV and in the streets, they are bound to grow up with it.
Feb 14, 2016 4:24 PM

Aug 2013
keragamming said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I know manga isn't niche in Japan hence why I didn't say it was. Late night anime is generally niche in Japan while kids anime are more known to the general population.
Feb 14, 2016 4:24 PM

Sep 2015
TR-8RCaim said:
-Senpai- said:
The TIE Fighter animation had no producers, was made by one guy, had no advertising campaign, and didn't own a time slot in a TV station. Yet it received over 5 million views with overwhelmingly positive reception on a platform that is heavily saturated with other works.

I don't know, maybe being GOOD?
I don't know, maybe releasing YOUR PRODUCT FOR FREE?
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Feb 14, 2016 4:25 PM

Jan 2013
-Senpai- said:
TR-8RCaim said:
The TIE Fighter animation had no producers, was made by one guy, had no advertising campaign, and didn't own a time slot in a TV station. Yet it received over 5 million views with overwhelmingly positive reception on a platform that is heavily saturated with other works.

I don't know, maybe being GOOD?
I don't know, maybe releasing YOUR PRODUCT FOR FREE?
What exactly are you trying to argue here?

Both products are free.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do we need more 30 year old waifus?

Catalano - 10 hours ago

14 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
2 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

92 by shiro-seishun »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top Favorited Anime

LittleStar - 5 hours ago

19 by DarkShame2 »»
8 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 3 )

Akuya - May 1

110 by rbp_pbr2 »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top 10 Most Popular Anime

LittleStar - 2 hours ago

15 by DarkShame2 »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.