Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Konosuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 8, 2016 5:42 AM

Mar 2011
Do you think her name is weird? Because whenever she introduces herself they make fun of her.
Feb 8, 2016 6:12 AM

Sep 2013
The joke on that is supposedly that her name isn't all that weird and she's that super chuuni loli wizard that should have one. On the other side you have all those guys with names like Aqua, Darkness etc.
Or at least I was told so because back when I read her introduction scene I didn't quite get that either and had to ask
ToadessternFeb 8, 2016 6:16 AM
Feb 8, 2016 6:19 AM

Jan 2016
rather than megumin's name I think that Darkness name is more weird.Her true name is Dustiness Ford Lalatina ,where does the name Darkness come from?
Feb 8, 2016 6:19 AM

Mar 2015
Well for sure it is a unique name. You won't find other character named Megumin, but you hear Darkness and Aqua everyday.

So I think the joke is that Megumin's name is rare in that world, since all the other girls have a normal, as in overused, names.

Even Chris is an everyday name you hear in TVs and Movies.

Feb 8, 2016 11:42 AM
Jan 2016
Toadesstern said:
The joke on that is supposedly that her name isn't all that weird and she's that super chuuni loli wizard that should have one. On the other side you have all those guys with names like Aqua, Darkness etc.
Or at least I was told so because back when I read her introduction scene I didn't quite get that either and had to ask

To expand on this, the typical japanese chuuni has an english nickname that they like to pretend is their real name.
In this parody, the non-japanese chuuni has a japanese nickname as their real name.
Megumi is a name, but Megumin is a nickname.
Feb 8, 2016 1:43 PM

Jun 2015
It's basically this joke:

Feb 9, 2016 4:57 AM

Mar 2011
What about Hyoizaburo and YuiYui?
Feb 9, 2016 3:13 PM
Mar 2014
I think it's because Megumin sounds cutesy/childish, like a nickname rather than a real name. For example, Akari from Yuru Yuri is called "Akarin" by her friends, and Kagami from Lucky Star is "Kagamin". But Megumin is her actual name, which is why it sounds weird or funny to the other characters.
Feb 11, 2016 1:40 AM

Mar 2014
goodbyedays said:
Do you think her name is weird? Because whenever she introduces herself they make fun of her.

Your question is deeply related to both the naming rules of the Japanese language and the sense of the Japanese people, so you needn't take it seriously.

As for Meguimin: This is the right answer, along the intention of this work↓

dirtyuncle said:
I think it's because Megumin sounds cutesy/childish, like a nickname rather than a real name. For example, Akari from Yuru Yuri is called "Akarin" by her friends, and Kagami from Lucky Star is "Kagamin". But Megumin is her actual name, which is why it sounds weird or funny to the other characters.

In addition, Megumin's self-introduction line is grammatically archaic, which is like samurai announced own names before one-to-one combats. So it is a mismatch between the cute/childish sound of her name and the solemn atmosphere of her line.

goodbyedays said:
What about Hyoizaburo and YuiYui?

Hyoizaburo: It is much crazier than Darkness and Aqua. Firstly, "hyoi" sounds rather funny for native Japanese speakers. Also, it is an onomatopoeia about lifting up a weight light thing easily. So his name is:
"(onomatopoeia about lifting up a weight light thing easily) - third born man"

YuiYui: This name sounds like a cute/childish nickname, so the reason is same as Megumin.
Feb 11, 2016 1:46 AM

Apr 2012
dmrch said:
Hyoizaburo: It is much crazier than Darkness and Aqua. Firstly, "hyoi" sounds rather funny for native Japanese speakers. Also, it is an onomatopoeia about lifting up a weight light thing easily. So his name is:
I think it would be clearer if you'd just say "agile third son".
Feb 11, 2016 7:56 AM
Oct 2012
PantsOnHead said:
In this parody, the non-japanese chuuni has a japanese nickname as their real name. Megumi is a name, but Megumin is a nickname.

It is like the Monty Python "Tim" scene referenced above (for those who don't know it: King Arthur go to a creepy rocky area where a sorcerer is casting small explosion spells, he acts all mysterious and strange, and then when asked his name, he then says that line). The joke there was the discount between the man acting so strange and having such a extremely common name.

Here the joke is that her name is not only nickname, but a really cute nickname (just like her mother Yuiyui) that totally opposes the image of what you would think that the Crimson Demon Race would have.

兵三郎 or Hyouzaburo is an actual name. 兵 (hyou) is a common foot soldier (as opposed to an officer, knight, or samurai), 三郎 (zaburo) is third son. So the name used to imply that the third son would join the military, i.e. the spare(able) third son. It was popular during the Meiji and Taisho eras (pre-world war II), but such names are considered a bit archaic now - particularly with the 5 syllables. To a modern ear it would sound a bit grandeous, old fashioned, and a little strange. I.e. exactly the name a chuunibyou would pick.
Feb 12, 2016 4:56 PM

Mar 2014
EratiK said:
dmrch said:
I think it would be clearer if you'd just say "agile third son".

Indeed, it would be clearer probably, but the strangeness of the name is mainly based on the sound of that onomatopoeic word, "Hyoi". If translating "agile third son" into Japanese, it would be 俊三郎 (Shunzaburou), 捷三郎 (Shouzaburou), or the like, and those wouldn't be so weird, even though those would be archaic. (Though I'm not sure about whether "agile" sounds funny for native English speakers or not).

Takuan_Soho said:
兵三郎 or Hyouzaburo is an actual name. 兵 (hyou) is a common foot soldier (as opposed to an officer, knight, or samurai), 三郎 (zaburo) is third son. So the name used to imply that the third son would join the military, i.e. the spare(able) third son. It was popular during the Meiji and Taisho eras (pre-world war II), but such names are considered a bit archaic now - particularly with the 5 syllables. To a modern ear it would sound a bit grandeous, old fashioned, and a little strange. I.e. exactly the name a chuunibyou would pick.

I checked the ep 2 again and also checked the original text. She said, "Hyoizaburo" (or ひょいざぶろー). And also, in Japanese chuuni sense, "郎" is basically an uncool word for human names, especially, "三郎" sounds dull.
Feb 12, 2016 5:53 PM
Oct 2012
dmrch said:
I checked the ep 2 again and also checked the original text. She said, "Hyoizaburo" (or ひょいざぶろー). And also, in Japanese chuuni sense, "郎" is basically an uncool word for human names, especially, "三郎" sounds dull.

I went the light novels, you are right. It was ひょい, that's what my absolutely horrible listening comprehension gets me.
Feb 13, 2016 2:43 AM

Apr 2012
dmrch said:
Indeed, it would be clearer probably, but the strangeness of the name is mainly based on the sound of that onomatopoeic word, "Hyoi". If translating "agile third son" into Japanese, it would be 俊三郎 (Shunzaburou), 捷三郎 (Shouzaburou), or the like, and those wouldn't be so weird, even though those would be archaic. (Though I'm not sure about whether "agile" sounds funny for native English speakers or not).
You already explained why it's funny. The meaning alone isn't convoluted.

A pun on Hyouzaburou is an interesting idea though.
Feb 18, 2016 11:05 PM
Feb 2016
I realise that I'm a little late in replying, but seeing as it's only halfway through the season, I suspect my reply is still quite relevant. Please forgive me if you consider 7 days a necro. Ahem!

DarklordVor said:
So I think the joke is that Megumin's name is rare in that world, since all the other girls have a normal, as in overused, names.
Toadesstern said:
The joke on that is supposedly that her name isn't all that weird
No, no, the joke is exactly as stated; her clan all have really weird names.
As dirtyuncle mentioned,
dirtyuncle said:
I think it's because Megumin sounds cutesy/childish, like a nickname rather than a real name.
'Megumin' is pretty much a cutesy nickname. Definitely not a name. And as dmrch mentions,
dmrch said:
"hyoi" sounds rather funny for native Japanese speakers.
Basically names like Yuiyui, Yunyun, Megumin sound like stupid/silly nicknames, whereas Hyoizaburou sounds like a real name, except with a bit changed to make it sound stupid. The fact that ___zaburou used to be extremely common as a male name ending in Japan (50ish years ago, names like Kenzaburou, Jinzaburou, Keizaburou etc. were really common.) just makes the first part sound all the more incongruous.

Anyway, just imagine names like Cassiewassie, Beckypoo or Lizliz used as given names. And names like Benjormin, Manthaniel and Afrony for the men. And it's a whole clan of people with names like this.

Edit: As is also mentioned above, her tone (during her chuuni rants especially) is really quite archaic, and somehow 'heavy' and 'pompous'. 如何にも、我が名、我(われ)、わい(←particularly old man-ish)etc.

It's quite similar to the tone that Gandalf uses in the Japanese translations of Lord of the Rings if that gives you any clue. Given that she ends said pompous introduction with the Japanese equivalent of Cassiepoo, anybody would suspect that she came to troll them.

Incidentally, the way the voice actress enunciates the words is pretty chuuni as well, which just adds to the fun lol. 'mazikku aitemu'

"Huhuhu, our meeting was surely preordained by the world. Long have I awaited for the likes of you to appear.

My name is Cassiewassie!

The Archwizard is my calling; those who command the most fearsome of offensive magics, the Explosion Magic!"
asadachiFeb 18, 2016 11:26 PM
Feb 18, 2016 11:22 PM

Oct 2013
Adding -in in their names is pretty much a current trend for young Japanese girls these days especially if you are lurking in the Japanese side of twitter and instagram (mixi, ameblo, and livedoor are dying in Japan).

Heck, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's name in twitter is Pamyurin.

Meanwhile Western weeaboos are still stuck with -chan and senpai and it will be a couple of years before they catch up with the latest Japanese trends.
Feb 18, 2016 11:23 PM
Feb 2016
Quite so. Disgustingly, it's also incredibly common for idol otaku to do so for their objects of worship lol. Also are you really a netouyo?
Feb 18, 2016 11:25 PM

Oct 2013
aobazuku said:
Quite so. Disgustingly, it's also incredibly common for idol otaku to do so for their objects of worship lol. Also are you really a netouyo?
People on this forum doesn't even know what Netouyo is. My previous username was Zaitokukai and no one had a clue what it means.

If I said I'm a Netouyo, expect the SJWs to attack me once they found out it's true meaning.
Feb 18, 2016 11:29 PM
Feb 2016
Netouyo said:
aobazuku said:
People on this forum doesn't even know what Netouyo is. My previous username was Zaitokukai and no one had a clue what it means.
Reading your post made me choke on my coffee laughing. I hope you're feeling satisfied now. Maybe I should change mine too. Perhaps to furuchin or villagevillage or something.
Feb 19, 2016 10:55 AM

Jul 2015
I found this on another forum.

Megumin Stats

Megumin
{Genre: Female} * {Age: 13} * {Race: Human}

{Lv: 6}
Strength: 17
Health: 26
Magic-Pow: 231
Dexterity: 32
Agility: 21
Luck: 18
Feb 19, 2016 11:26 AM

Dec 2012
Well her parents names are Hyoizaburo and YuiYui lmao
Feb 19, 2016 2:34 PM

Feb 2016
Megumin sounds like nickname in Japan.
If her name is just a nickname, it wouldn't be problem. Maybe someone who name is "Megumi" or "Megu" would be called "Megumin" between school friends.
It sounds too casual for person's actual name, so her name is not proper for Japanese naming culture.
Feb 19, 2016 6:48 PM

Sep 2013
asadachi said:
I realise that I'm a little late in replying, but seeing as it's only halfway through the season, I suspect my reply is still quite relevant. Please forgive me if you consider 7 days a necro. Ahem!

DarklordVor said:
Toadesstern said:
The joke on that is supposedly that her name isn't all that weird
No, no, the joke is exactly as stated; her clan all have really weird names.
As dirtyuncle mentioned,
dirtyuncle said:
I think it's because Megumin sounds cutesy/childish, like a nickname rather than a real name.
'Megumin' is pretty much a cutesy nickname. Definitely not a name. And as dmrch mentions,
dmrch said:
"hyoi" sounds rather funny for native Japanese speakers.
Basically names like Yuiyui, Yunyun, Megumin sound like stupid/silly nicknames, whereas Hyoizaburou sounds like a real name, except with a bit changed to make it sound stupid. The fact that ___zaburou used to be extremely common as a male name ending in Japan (50ish years ago, names like Kenzaburou, Jinzaburou, Keizaburou etc. were really common.) just makes the first part sound all the more incongruous.

Anyway, just imagine names like Cassiewassie, Beckypoo or Lizliz used as given names. And names like Benjormin, Manthaniel and Afrony for the men. And it's a whole clan of people with names like this.

Edit: As is also mentioned above, her tone (during her chuuni rants especially) is really quite archaic, and somehow 'heavy' and 'pompous'. 如何にも、我が名、我(われ)、わい(←particularly old man-ish)etc.

It's quite similar to the tone that Gandalf uses in the Japanese translations of Lord of the Rings if that gives you any clue. Given that she ends said pompous introduction with the Japanese equivalent of Cassiepoo, anybody would suspect that she came to troll them.

Incidentally, the way the voice actress enunciates the words is pretty chuuni as well, which just adds to the fun lol. 'mazikku aitemu'

"Huhuhu, our meeting was surely preordained by the world. Long have I awaited for the likes of you to appear.

My name is Cassiewassie!

The Archwizard is my calling; those who command the most fearsome of offensive magics, the Explosion Magic!"

but the point, like people mentioned, is that it's a nickname for a japanese kid. It's is NOT that weird. Just look at all the VA's with the -n ending as nicknames:
Hayamin, Kayanon and a shitton others like that.

It's weird in the sense that it's not a proper name but a normal nickname. Like said the joke is probably on it being swapped around:
It's a nickname but a fairly normal one, that alone would not be funny in Japan at all. But it's not Japan. It's in the other world, they don't even speak Japanese.
So while all the chuuni's in JP pick english ones (Darkness, Dust, Keith etc.) those are the ones that, while being nicknames are considered normal here. Because it's not Japan.
The "normal" japanese nickname is not normal for the World they're in.

Noone said it's a proper name just that the nickname itself would not be outlandish in JP and not get that kind of reaction. But because they don't speak japanese in the other world she does get that reaction for a "normal" nickname.

At least that's my take on it. Otherwise the other chuuni nicknames would also get a similar responses about how "Darkness" or "Aqua" is super weird.
ToadessternFeb 19, 2016 7:01 PM
Feb 19, 2016 7:43 PM
Feb 2016
Toadesstern said:

Noone said it's a proper name just that the nickname itself would not be outlandish in JP and not get that kind of reaction. But because they don't speak japanese in the other world she does get that reaction for a "normal" nickname.

At least that's my take on it.
That's completely wrong. For one thing, even Kazuma mentions that it's weird. The whole point is that it actually is really weird for a given name.

You say 'normal nickname', but what I was trying to explain is that it isn't Cassandra turning into Cassie. It's Cassandra turning into Cassiewassie. It's dimunitive and cutesy to quite a degree higher than normal nicknames in English. Honestly, unless you're a gyaru (or particularly modern), actually letting people call you Yunyun or Megumin is actually a little embarrassing.

「めぐみん」はさておき、「ひょいざぶろう」をどう説明するんだ?

It's obviously not just Megumin either. Despite what you think you know about Japan, there's heaps of evidence against your take on it. For one thing, try explaining Hyoizaburou under your 'Crimson names are weird because they're ordinary Japanese nicknames'.

EDIT:
Toadesstern said:
but the point, like people mentioned, is that it's a nickname for a japanese kid. It's is NOT that weird. Just look at all the VA's with the -n ending as nicknames:
Yeah, no. You don't seem to get it, but that is not 'normal'. Fans intentionally give their objects of worships particularly cutesy and affectionate names. It's close to 'hunnybunnybear'-tier nicknaming.
asadachiFeb 19, 2016 7:52 PM
Feb 19, 2016 8:01 PM

Sep 2013
asadachi said:
Toadesstern said:

At least that's my take on it.
That's completely wrong. For one thing, even Kazuma mentions that it's weird. The whole point is that it actually is really weird for a given name.

You say 'normal nickname', but what I was trying to explain is that it isn't Cassandra turning into Cassie. It's Cassandra turning into Cassiewassie. It's dimunitive and cutesy to quite a degree higher than normal nicknames in English. Honestly, unless you're a gyaru (or particularly modern), actually letting people call you Yunyun or Megumin is actually a little embarrassing.

「めぐみん」はさておき、「ひょいざぶろう」をどう説明するんだ?

It's obviously not just Megumin either. Despite what you think you know about Japan, there's heaps of evidence against your take on it. For one thing, try explaining Hyoizaburou under your 'Crimson names are weird because they're ordinary Japanese nicknames'.

EDIT:
Toadesstern said:
Yeah, no. You don't seem to get it, but that is not 'normal'. Fans intentionally give their objects of worships particularly cutesy and affectionate names. It's close to 'hunnybunnybear'-tier nicknaming.

then why are the other names that are REALLY chuunibyou all considered to be normal and noone bats an eye?
Clearly those are considered to be normal in the world to the point of the majority of people actually walking around with one of those names.

I mean I could very well be wrong. But this just doesn't make sense either. The only ones that get shit for their names are the people with japanese names (or nicknames).

for all I know it could be something like:
Male crimson pick something "cool" (trying to sound like a Samurai/oldschool in a different language) thus resulting in a somewhat old name but wrong because he's just some chuuni who messed up.
Female crimson pick someting "cute" (trying to sound cute in a different language), probably not realizing how awkard it sounds if you call yourself that because it's some chuuni who messed up.

Obviously males wouldn't want to sound cute. But the langauge has to be in there somewhere
ToadessternFeb 19, 2016 8:13 PM
Feb 19, 2016 9:59 PM
Feb 2016
Toadesstern said:
then why are the other names that are REALLY chuunibyou all considered to be normal and noone bats an eye
Because it's a fantasy world, and names like Aqua, Sena and Lalatina are splendid Western-sounding names?
Toadesstern said:
Clearly those are considered to be normal in the world to the point of the majority of people actually walking around with one of those names.
Wonderful, except the novel is narrated from Kazuma's point of view, and the only mention of the naming sense is either from him or Aqua who presides over Japan in any case.
Toadesstern said:
I mean I could very well be wrong.
You are.
Toadesstern said:
But this just doesn't make sense either.
To you.
Toadesstern said:
The only ones that get shit for their names are the people with japanese names (or nicknames).
And by who? Kazuma and Aqua, who both know what normal Japanese names are supposed to be.
Toadesstern said:
Male crimson pick something "cool" (trying to sound like a Samurai/oldschool in a different language) thus resulting in a somewhat old name but wrong because he's just some chuuni who messed up.
Female crimson pick someting "cute" (trying to sound cute in a different language), probably not realizing how awkard it sounds if you call yourself that because it's some chuuni who messed up
It's not.

Look, I'm sick of trying to convince somebody who clearly has no experience with Japanese names. Obviously, Japanese people aren't a monolithic hive-mind, and on 2ch and shit, I've seen at least two people who jokingly mentioned that Darkness and Aqua were weirder names than Megumin to them, but the majority pretty much took the joke the way I explained, so unless the author is an idiot and didn't know how his joke would be interpreted, you're wrong.

Edit: It's a shame the web novel doesn't exist anymore, otherwise we could just browse the damn 感想 section from a few years back when Megumin first appeared, and end this stupid discussion once and for all.
asadachiFeb 19, 2016 10:08 PM
Feb 19, 2016 11:25 PM

Oct 2009
Megumin is a common cutesy nickname that other people may give to someone, not something that they would called themselves. The name itself is not weird, but the fact that she called herself Megumin is what weird. It one degree more embarrassing than someone who called themselves in third person.

ie. Megu: "Megu doesn't like watching anime because Megu thinks anime is for weeb".

Also I think it is more common to find names like Megumin in MMORPG as people who created the character sees them from third person perspective, therefore the naming convention. So I think when Aqua and Kazuma met her for the first time is like meeting a person using their 'cute' MMO nicknames to introduce themselves, a very cliche indeed.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Feb 19, 2016 11:44 PM

Sep 2013
asadachi said:
Toadesstern said:
then why are the other names that are REALLY chuunibyou all considered to be normal and noone bats an eye
Because it's a fantasy world, and names like Aqua, Sena and Lalatina are splendid Western-sounding names?
Toadesstern said:
Wonderful, except the novel is narrated from Kazuma's point of view, and the only mention of the naming sense is either from him or Aqua who presides over Japan in any case.
Toadesstern said:
I mean I could very well be wrong.
You are.
Toadesstern said:
But this just doesn't make sense either.
To you.
Toadesstern said:
The only ones that get shit for their names are the people with japanese names (or nicknames).
And by who? Kazuma and Aqua, who both know what normal Japanese names are supposed to be.
Toadesstern said:
Female crimson pick someting "cute" (trying to sound cute in a different language), probably not realizing how awkard it sounds if you call yourself that because it's some chuuni who messed up
It's not.

Look, I'm sick of trying to convince somebody who clearly has no experience with Japanese names. Obviously, Japanese people aren't a monolithic hive-mind, and on 2ch and shit, I've seen at least two people who jokingly mentioned that Darkness and Aqua were weirder names than Megumin to them, but the majority pretty much took the joke the way I explained, so unless the author is an idiot and didn't know how his joke would be interpreted, you're wrong.

Edit: It's a shame the web novel doesn't exist anymore, otherwise we could just browse the damn 感想 section from a few years back when Megumin first appeared, and end this stupid discussion once and for all.

Dude I said at least 2 times by now that I'm not certain and trying to figure it out (and btw, this explanation I got was from someone japanese. Maybe I got on someone who didn't understand it himself, idk). I'm LITERALLY asking you a question. You don't have to convince me, I'm asking you to explain it more in detail why the things that don't match with it (in my opinion) don't matter.

I asked about why it's only the japanese names not to shit on you or your theory but to get an answer and for me this is a discussion in which I'm trying to learn more because you do know more than me about this but I have conflicting information (the other guy who explained it to me which also made sense to me). Again, I already mentioned twice that I have no idea about names.

But here's the thing I see: Megumin did not only get laughed at by Aqua and Kazuma. In the last episode it was also the LN1 boss (which probably was anime originial, at least I can't remember it right now) but I'm fairly sure it happened at least once with Darkness or someone else as well in the source. I'll check that out in 2 days when I get home and have the LNs on my hand again.
Didn't YunYun also get shit for her name? She's not really talking that weird (at least not as high and mighty as Megumin) and if anything she's basicly getting laughed at within megumin's clan because she's the only one who acts normal, isn't she?

If for some reason asking those questions makes you this angry don't bother responding but I just wanted to make clear that I'm not trying to make a fool of you. I'm really just curious and trying to understand this.
ToadessternFeb 19, 2016 11:54 PM
Feb 20, 2016 12:10 AM
Feb 2016
Regarding your Japanese friend, have they actually watched or read the series? If they have, then I honestly don't know what to say lol. Japanese people are people too, is about all I can comment.

I forgot about the Dullahan, I'll admit. The thing is though, I think you're deconstructing this a bit too seriously. Given how light-hearted the series is, the whole joke about the weird names most likely takes for granted that these fantasy characters share certain sensibilities with Japanese people. It's the same as why in light novels, even fantasy "Western" characters will inexplicably enjoy hot springs, miso soup, and drinking milk after a bath.
Feb 20, 2016 12:18 PM

Sep 2013
asadachi said:
Regarding your Japanese friend, have they actually watched or read the series? If they have, then I honestly don't know what to say lol. Japanese people are people too, is about all I can comment.

I forgot about the Dullahan, I'll admit. The thing is though, I think you're deconstructing this a bit too seriously. Given how light-hearted the series is, the whole joke about the weird names most likely takes for granted that these fantasy characters share certain sensibilities with Japanese people. It's the same as why in light novels, even fantasy "Western" characters will inexplicably enjoy hot springs, miso soup, and drinking milk after a bath.

so tl;dr:
The Author is japanese, and the reason only the japanese names are getting shit on is because she's only knowledgeable about them and just has no idea about the english names? Despite them being equally weird as names for people who are fluent in english?
So reading into it being specifically a difference for english - japanese is just too much because author just picked those ones kinda random because "wow, this sounds cool/western, yolo" ?
Feb 21, 2016 6:53 PM

May 2009
Like all Crimson Demons she also has weird name. It's all because their parents also were chuunis.
Jun 12, 2016 1:29 AM
Jun 2016
There is such a thing as versimilitude in naming traditions. Look it always happens in Dungeons and Dragons -

You get Lothiarian the Elven Wizard, Topdek Caskcracker the Dwarven Warrior, Johannes Krauthammar IV - human paladin, and finally Baron von Ratfucker, the black halfing wizard.

You always have that one completely incongruous character.

Four serious names and then Runtboy Cocksmasher.

It's almost like there's a whole kingdom, or clan, of these idiots out there... oh wait, here they are.

I make the same face when someone introduces their new character, Todd Ravencock, the gnome druid.
Jun 12, 2016 1:32 AM
Jun 2016
asadachi said:

Western people have enjoyed hot springs for millennium too. Everywhere hot springs have been found throughout the world hot springs are enjoyed.

And yes, we don't usually prefer milk after a hot spings soak. We prefer beer or wine.

Why? Because Deus Vult.
Jun 16, 2016 3:11 AM
Feb 2016
Toadesstern said:
asadachi said:

so tl;dr:
The Author is japanese, and the reason only the japanese names are getting shit on is because she's only knowledgeable about them and just has no idea about the english names? Despite them being equally weird as names for people who are fluent in english?
So reading into it being specifically a difference for english - japanese is just too much because author just picked those ones kinda random because "wow, this sounds cool/western, yolo" ?

Hello, you'll note that on Japanese forums, sometimes people will laugh that Darkness is a much weirder name than Megumin, but the reason that it is humorous to begin with is because they understand the humour behind 'Megumin = weird name'.

And yes, very often they do just go "Wow, this sounds western, yolo!"

On the other hand, the Crimson Devil Race have vaguely Japanese names which makes them sound weirder, if that makes any sense.

It's like presenting to the average American an Asian comic book character called "Laomoto Kanzaki", and then an English knight comic book character called "Bobo Johnsons".

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Karoshi- - Jan 12, 2016

387 by S2P_cinephile »»
Apr 24, 12:46 PM

» Netflix English subs are garbage - Crunchyroll is way better

Logikx - Apr 16

17 by HenryLeo123 »»
Apr 24, 2:26 AM

» Who will end up with Kazuma ?

lightning_angad7 - Apr 3

24 by rohan121 »»
Apr 8, 11:28 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2016

415 by HomelessWzrd »»
Apr 7, 4:59 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2016

371 by 0451 »»
Apr 4, 11:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.