How would you rate this manga?
Jan 23, 2016 10:03 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Manga: Ran to Haiiro no Sekai

MAL Manga Information Page: Ran to Haiiro no Sekai

Score: 8.54 (scored by 1639 users)
Ranked: #124
Popularity: #922

In this thread we will conduct a discussion about the manga. You are free to structure your thoughts at will, both in terms of length and which aspects of the title you consider worth mentioning; and to further civilly discuss issues of contention with other members.

HiroM_Sep 1, 2022 8:52 AM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 7, 2016 1:39 PM

Sep 2009
Ran and the World of Grey is a bit of an unusual read, gradually sliding from slice of life to something more plot-driven, but at the same time without ever quite changing genre.

Its visual presentation is nothing short of stunning - EVERYTHING in this manga looks gorgeous and has its own distinctive art style that brings to life the setting, which can best be described as suburban high fantasy. The early chapters rtevolve around Ran, a young girl, who repeatedly grows older using an enchanted pair of shoes. Hijinks ensue.

There's a sense of whimsy to Ran that's incredibly hard not to enjoy, in a kind of escapist sense that it makes its setting seem so ridiculously enjoyable. I know how subjective this sounds, but this manga gave me a big dumb goofy grin every time I read it, and there's something to be said for that.

The character writing is what sells it, though. Ran's cast is large, but the writing feels so down to earth that all of its characters feel so very human in spite of their fantastic natures. I was particularly impressed with Outaro's character arc, although this one is kind of an opinion-splitter for rather obvious reasons.
Feb 7, 2016 2:20 PM

Aug 2013
@Lindle: Calling Ran "plot-driven" seems a bit far-fetched: it's much more of a character-reliant manga, to the point the plot doesn't amount to much.

As for the Outaro arc (and more largely relationship with Ran), it spoiled largely the manga for me—not sure if edgy is the right term, but that's what is was for me.
"Even now, I travel on my journey,
Believing in the world,
Aiming for something far away – an endless journey.
Having a dream like someone else’s,
Or being in someone else’s dream –
Which would you prefer?"
Feb 7, 2016 2:27 PM

Sep 2009
DerMond said:
@Lindle: Calling Ran "plot-driven" seems a bit far-fetched: it's much more of a character-reliant manga, to the point the plot doesn't amount to much.

Gets pretty plot-heavy for a couple of volumes what with the whole insect thing.

DerMond said:
As for the Outaro arc (and more largely relationship with Ran), it spoiled largely the manga for me—not sure if edgy is the right term, but that's what is was for me.
Edgy is most definitely not the right term. Edgy is probably the furthest thing from this manga. I have no idea what word you should be using, but edgy most certainly is not it.
Feb 7, 2016 2:30 PM

Aug 2013
Mmm... Can't think of anything better than disturbing/disgusting.
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Feb 7, 2016 3:05 PM

Sep 2009
DerMond said:
Mmm... Can't think of anything better than disturbing/disgusting.
Squick?

I get what you mean, though. The whole "accidental paedophile" thing is kind of uncomfortable even if it never got TOO bad.
Feb 7, 2016 3:55 PM

Aug 2013
Thanks, didn't know this one term.

But yeah, even if the whole thing isn't illogical story-wise, the author still agreed to it in the end—otherwise, he/she wouldn't have put it in the work.
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Nov 20, 2016 3:36 PM

Mar 2012
outaro/ran is very creepy as mentioned above, but beyond that i just don't feel i need to write much about this. never added up to something i would want to vote yes for
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.