Forum Settings
Forums

Preferences : Online reading or actual book?

New
Do you prefer buying an actual manga or reading it online?
Jan 1, 2016 8:12 PM
Jul 2018
My life is a big struggle.
I recently bought a new manga (Judge, Vol. 1). It's fine, I read it in two short evenings and I really liked it! So I'm looking forward for the Vol. 2 and the prequel (Doubt)... But, eh, for something I can finish in 45 minutes, $24 is quite... Expensive. I didn't even talk about, of course, the fact that there's not all volumes in the libraries. Whatever. The only solution I have right now is online reading. And while crying about my poor life, I was wondering, What do you guys prefer? Paying over a manga but actually feeling the book in your hands or saving your money and reading via a computer/phone?
Jan 2, 2016 1:51 AM

Dec 2015
i just read manga online.But just recently i started collecting one piece volumes and i'm gonna continue doing so only for manga that i feel i want to have the actual books
Jan 2, 2016 6:14 AM

Apr 2014
I would love to buy manga but the thing is I cannot wait usually that much and I don't have enough money either. So I prefer reading online
your waifu is shit
Jan 2, 2016 6:15 AM

Feb 2015
I only buy books that cost less than $1

bcs it's just a pile of printed paper
JomsJan 2, 2016 6:16 AM
Jan 2, 2016 6:17 AM

Jun 2013
Definitely reading it in book format. It's more fun that way, and the page quality is better, plus the translation are better as well (take example the shounen manga, like One Piece, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Naruto etc... the translation are not so good).
Jan 2, 2016 6:29 AM

Jun 2013
Both like I said in other threads, read mangas online and buy the ones I really like.
Jan 2, 2016 6:33 AM

Jul 2012
Mit5ukii said:
Paying over a manga but actually feeling the book in your hands or saving your money and reading via a computer/phone?

Well, I actually go to the book store/library if I wanted to read it in book format. Otherwise, reading it on my tablet (which is bigger than a standard manga book size) gives me almost the same exact feeling as reading a book.
Jan 2, 2016 10:20 AM

Dec 2015
It really depends on the situation.
First all the big shounens like Fairy Tail, One Piece, Bleach and Naruto I have read them online because there is too many volumes to buy.
Otherwise I buy printed manga when I find them in occasion like Yu-Gi-Oh and HunterXHunter.
I buy new manga too when I can't find scans for it or when I am too lazy to read the scans like with Tokyo Ghoul.
Jan 13, 2016 12:32 AM
Jan 2016
I strongly prefer buying manga, but it used to be really expensive (like you said), and MANY mangas were not available in my country... So I ended up reading most of it online.

However I recently found a new site that allows you to buy stuff from Japanese websites (in my case mostly mangas), at pretty much Japanese prices, and have it imported to wherever you live. It works great :) And their customer service can seemingly help you with everything :D

Basically now I can get the mangas I want for a lot more affordable prices. You guys should check it out :) https://www.kupiku.com/en
Jan 13, 2016 2:06 PM

Jan 2008
I'll happily buy manga and prefer it to reading online. I mean even if I had a good tablet and all that, it's pretty comfy lying in bed and reading stuff.
Jan 13, 2016 6:46 PM

Mar 2009
Physical books, there's just something about it. I'm not adverse to reading non-licensed things online, or going online for a test run though (or through the library, best of both worlds), but if I like something, I like to buy it.
Jan 13, 2016 7:05 PM

Sep 2015
I have never read a physical manga before, only on my phone but i do want to buy some of my favourites just to have a few physicals in my possession.
Jan 16, 2016 12:42 AM

Oct 2015
I usually read online, but I will buy the manga if I love it so much.
Jan 16, 2016 2:15 AM

Jun 2012
I pretty much do 95% of my reading of manga by buying the volumes. Just seems a lot better to me honestly, and I like collecting physical media so theres that.

The only time I read it online is if it is a series I really like or people tell me about that is not available in NA yet. Even then though if it gets released over here eventually I will by the series for a re-read though, and will usually enjoy it more the second time around while I am reading the physical book (tokyo ghoul for example).
Jan 16, 2016 8:25 PM
Jul 2018
I like to do either. Sometimes I borrow some from the library as well. Most of my reading is done online though.
Jan 16, 2016 8:28 PM

May 2015
Don't but manga from a local store. 9 times out of 10, it's always more expensive than online retailers like RightStuf and Amazon. If you're interested in a series, check it out online first. Then buy it if you feel it's worth it.

Jan 17, 2016 12:41 AM

Jan 2015
manga: online
LN: physical

I don't read much manga
as for light novels I recently bought volumes 1 and 2 of danmachi

I'm interested in buying orange even though I already read all of it online đź‘»
Jan 17, 2016 12:46 AM

Jan 2010
Online. I dont fxck with books. You can be killed for having a book in yo hand if you live where I'm from.
Jan 17, 2016 1:19 AM

Oct 2015
I used to buy manga to read but that was getting too expensive so I've switched to reading online, plus that way I get to read way more manga. That being said if I really like a particular series, I might end up buying the manga in book form, usually the Japanese version.
Jan 17, 2016 8:49 AM

Jan 2010
I always try out manga's first, so I read everything online. However my favorite manga's I read them on paper, except it's really difficult to make a chose what of you're favorites to buy, their are to many. So, I prefer manga that is not to long, but good. I still prefer to read on paper. I really enjoyed reading the paper version of Bakuman. Well, the paper version costs around €9-€12, it became rather expensive because of the strong dollar. It was around €7-€10 before.
Jan 17, 2016 10:03 AM

Mar 2015
Reading the actual book, of course

However, the only mangas they sell here in Singapore are chinese translated so I can't collect any. I got to read 2 mangas and it felt better than reading it online. But, since it's more convenient that I can find everything online and is travel-friendly, it isn't that bad.
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Jan 17, 2016 7:17 PM

Sep 2011
I prefer to read it online and then if I like it, I buy it. I live in Canada! I'm not gonna waste 11-20 bucks on a book if there's a chance I won't like it. I don't even spend that much on food!
I refuse to touch ebook versions, though. To me, reading online is more like a preview to having the book in my hand even if I finished the entire manga, so ebooks are just disappointing.
Jan 17, 2016 8:22 PM

Jun 2010
So many great manga to read but so little space in my room so, i'd rather read it online.
Jan 17, 2016 8:33 PM

Apr 2013
"Comic books are like boobs; They look great on a computer, but I'd rather hold one in my hand." - Stan Lee

that said obviously I'd prefer the actual one and because of that my bookshelves are now full of manga :p

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1057 by BGR »»
3 hours ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

16 by Strahan »»
5 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

380 by Kkulpanda »»
Today, 4:31 AM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
Yesterday, 6:55 PM

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 3:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.