53.3%
19.6%
22.8%
4.3%
92 votes
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 13, 2015 2:37 AM

Sep 2012
We only have to start paying back our loans once we start making over a bit over $50K. It's between 4% - 8% of your income and its just done through the taxation office. I think I would be okay if it took me 30+ years to fully repay the loan. Theoretically, if you never earn over that amount, you don't have to pay it back. Although personally if I was in that scenario I would like to try to anyway.

I don't mind our system but there is still quiet a bit of student debt in Australia so I think it should be looking for ways to try to minimise it.
Dec 13, 2015 2:50 AM

Mar 2014
Yes

I want to spend my money on fika instead
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 13, 2015 10:37 AM

May 2015
Bernkastel said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I need something specific, like "this degree makes people less likely to hire you for general jobs" for example. One having more than the other doesn't prove they lead a better life.

Use your imagination then?... Literally anything you can come up with that's reasonable probably applies to some extent.

The specifics hardly matters when statistics show the career trajectory of various degrees. Obviously I'm talking from a strict financial perspective.

If it's all financial then I don't know. Is money the only way to decide the quality of life?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 13, 2015 5:27 PM

Oct 2014
Education is never worthless.
Dec 13, 2015 5:43 PM
Oct 2014
RemeM said:
Not everyone deserves or should go to college and get a four year education. That's just not how society functions.

I don't see what this has to do with a tution free higher education. Good grades are still required.

Dec 13, 2015 5:52 PM

Mar 2012
Should be free for the best and the brightest but beyond that not really.

I should stress the word "free". There should be other means to education such as military service. Also, there should be offers/incentives for going into fields where there is a strong need for more people in the workforce.

We need to better the process for getting our youth a proper education and then transitioning them into the workforce. That way, debt is less of an issue when there are actually jobs for people.
RichtheLionheartDec 13, 2015 5:56 PM
Dec 13, 2015 5:58 PM

Mar 2014
I definitely wouldn't mind if it was cheaper, but I don't think it should be free.
Dec 15, 2015 8:06 PM

Jan 2013
It should be free because so many students now have to enter the workforce with thousands of dollars of debt. More educated people are the better it is for society.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2015 12:01 AM

May 2015
RichtheLionheart said:
Should be free for the best and the brightest but beyond that not really.

I should stress the word "free". There should be other means to education such as military service. Also, there should be offers/incentives for going into fields where there is a strong need for more people in the workforce.

We need to better the process for getting our youth a proper education and then transitioning them into the workforce. That way, debt is less of an issue when there are actually jobs for people.

I'm starting to think military service should be mandatory everywhere. It teaches you much-needed discipline.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 16, 2015 12:05 AM

Sep 2015
I don't think free college in the U.S. would work out.

I definitely think it shouldn't cost as much as it does though. It is insanely over priced, even public universities. So for public schools, if they can't make it free, they should definitely lower the cost by a lot.

In-state public university costs on average about 10-12 thousand, not including room and board. That is a lot. Considering you are going for 4 years.
DzutqoDec 16, 2015 12:08 AM
Dec 16, 2015 12:05 AM

Jan 2013
It is basically free where I'm from...
Dec 16, 2015 12:11 AM

Jun 2011
Yes I do.

I think Education should always be free. I think its fucking ridiculous how much it costs

Education should be free and so should a lot of other things but all America cares about is money
Jun 7, 2016 12:44 PM

Dec 2015
I voted "Depends". Free of course is better. But if there is a way for people who can't get scholarships to get a loan to help them pay fees (with low interests - should be provided by the government) then it also could work.

Problem is:
It is unfair because some people have easier access (if they have rich parents that help them with paying the fees). This still might (even if they can get loan with low interests) scare away people and stop them from going to university.

End effect would be that it also might hurt the society (and then yourself as you are part of the society). Especially if it is about natural science and if there might be people that otherwise would be good scientists developing some stuff that really helps society later.

You could argue "those that aren't motivated enough to work to pay the fees probably are only the ones that aren't good enough and might fail or drop out without degree" - but I don't think that will be the case for all of them. Might just be some risk averse people (that might fear they won't make it and then don't even try because it would be wasted money for them).
Jun 7, 2016 12:52 PM
Apr 2013
I'd go further and say students should be paid to go to university since it is a type of training. Less than minimum wage of course.
Jun 7, 2016 12:57 PM

Jun 2013
No but if there are students who are poor but have good grades there should be financial help given.
Jun 7, 2016 1:03 PM

Dec 2015
55Snakes said:
I'd go further and say students should be paid to go to university since it is a type of training. Less than minimum wage of course.
Something like that actually exists in Germany.

We have "Ausbildung" - see here for explanation: http://mkenyaujerumani.de/2013/06/22/understanding-the-concept-of-a-german-ausbildung-vocational-training/

This is for people that are not intelligent enought to go to university. They just do not start a job then as helper somwehre. They do something in between and get some form of education for a specific job where they work in the company getting trained there and then go to a school to learn stuff.

Then we have "Duales Studium" which is a big higher level education. (Similar to university but more with practical orientation than theoretical.) Afaik mainly used in natural sciences or economics where those people get paid by the company and getting practical training there and still studying at some "Fachhochschule" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fachhochschule ) - where they learn stuff on university-like-level but more focus on the practical application. Which is why it is interesting for companies (employers).

Edit: Here some good explanation in English: https://studieren.de/faq-dual-study.0.html
It mentions that it this exists mainly for natural science and stuff like that. ("Artistic courses and the humanities don’t exist in the dual system.") And it mentions the "Fachhochschule" which in English are called (they call it that themselves) universities of applied sciences (because focus is on practical application of the learned stuff. And it mentions that studends already earn money while studying.

For being a teacher, lawyer (at least if you want to represent someone at court and not only working in a companies law division making contracts) and doctor/psychologist you need to go to a normal university though. And a lot of people seem to think normal university (for parts where such dual study is possible) seems better or superior and want to go to normal university. But I think such dual study is not a bad idea as long as it is possible.
LuthandoriusJun 7, 2016 1:18 PM
Jun 7, 2016 7:23 PM
Sep 2015
Making education free only lowers the quality of said education.
Jun 8, 2016 11:38 AM

Mar 2016
Huh ? wait what ? you pay for university education ? they only charge for books and room where i live ( if you were to live in the dormitory ) , other than that everything is free...

( Talking about Universities that are associated with the government )
AcneraJun 8, 2016 11:42 AM
Jun 8, 2016 11:43 AM

Sep 2015
I said yes because it should be free but realistically, it would raise taxes too much for the rest of the population.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» how do you guys feel about summer?

JessicaKari - Yesterday

37 by Kiryotsu »»
2 minutes ago

» how do you guys cope with loneliness? (instead of playing video games, listening to music, watching anime and tv shows/movies) ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Oct 31, 2023

67 by silentview »»
5 minutes ago

» Interior Design

removed-user - Jan 24, 2021

27 by 88expert »»
22 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

785 by Crawlie »»
44 minutes ago

» do any other guys here not experience "post-nut clarity/guilt?"

removed-user - Apr 8, 2021

30 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.