Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 7, 2015 2:59 PM

Jun 2012
not so interesting for a 1st episode

an annoying mc that provided nothing to the whole, and sakurako, a typical know-it-all schooling pros, with a cliché obsessive nature.

the visuals were good, but there wasn't much substance to back them up.

not expecting much, especially if they make it episodic
Oct 7, 2015 3:19 PM

Jan 2014
Got this weird vibe of a mixture of Hyouka, xxxHOLiC, Un-Go, and Tasogare Otome. Art wise, character wise, relationship wise, mystery plot wise, and soundtrack wise. Didn't really like that since it did feel it borrowed too much from other and had very little of its own. I did like how this series has hit the ground running, and we're not faced with three plus introductionary episodes. However, that has also warranted that we got a boring very underdevelopped main character (really, what are his traits, other than liking shrimp?). Those two things might improve over time though, and we can be pretty much guaranteed to hear more on the pair's background later.

I also really like that it is set on Hokkaido. Hokkaido deserves more attention, both inside Japan itself, as outside, and definitely in anime.

turtleinshell said:
I would consider myself part of the crowd that would prefer a slow developing romance (i.e. similar to Bones), but that looks like it won't be happening. Hurrah if it does though!

Yup, this anime will stand or fall with whether they have the balls develop and how far they dare to take the relationship between a high schooler and an adult woman that is allready engaged too.

There're other shows that did it. I won't disclose which ones due to spoilers. With this overall setting though, in this genre, it'd really make this series stand out.
LaionidasOct 7, 2015 3:35 PM
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Oct 7, 2015 3:23 PM

Jun 2014
as everyone else said it looks amazing , i was waiting for it and it didn't disappoint me , Sakurako really is a likable character i love how she turned into a kid with the skull , "This is mine !" XD
Very nice first episode .
Oct 7, 2015 3:25 PM

Dec 2014
What an OST.

Nice start, this looks so promising.
Oct 7, 2015 3:29 PM

May 2008
This looked really nice and it was quite interesting! Here's hoping that it keeps this going throughout.
Oct 7, 2015 3:36 PM

Aug 2012
I´m REALLY glad that I gave this anime a chance. It´s great!

Awesome animation, interesting characters, intriguing plot... So nice!

Poor kitten though ;u;
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Oct 7, 2015 4:05 PM
Nov 2013
Really awesome visuals and character design in this show but the mystery was lame, I hope it is not always going to be Sakurako pulling the solution out of her ass Sherlock Holmes style
Oct 7, 2015 4:07 PM

Feb 2013
Oh my god this looks like it's going to be so good!!!!

And I almost completely overlooked it.....it didn't grab my attention.....SO glad I watched this.
Oct 7, 2015 4:22 PM

Oct 2011
This gonna be good. The visuals are... Damn. So beatiful.

Actually, Sakurako is my favorite character of the season. Need more of her.
Oct 7, 2015 4:30 PM

Jun 2015
Really enjoyed this episode. The visuals were stunning, the music was great, and the show itself seems really interesting. Also, I already love Sakurako-san's character. I am a sucker for mysteries so I was already keeping an eye on this, but I had no idea my hopes would be lived up to this much in the first episode.

I actually like that they made Shoutarou kind of childish, as I went in expecting a mild-mannered, constantly serious MC and yet I find this worked well - maybe even better. I quite enjoyed that he both plays the fool to Sakurako-san's genius and the straight man to her crazy XD
Oct 7, 2015 4:36 PM

Aug 2015
That was....FUCKING BEAUTIFUL! Best First episode of the entire Fall Season, Interesting and innovative story, great characters, outstanding animation. 5/5 Already an AOTY contender.
Oct 7, 2015 4:40 PM

Jan 2014
amazing first episode!!! really good
Oct 7, 2015 4:41 PM

Mar 2014
sakurako is easily one of the best characters this season that second mystery was so satisfying. i think the visuals are just okay but they definitely fit the mood of the story so the arts probably like an 8/10. the main guy is so annoying hes really gonna make this story unbearable by being a weak ass beta. at least give him a cool haircut so i dont hate him entirely.
Oct 7, 2015 4:45 PM

Jul 2013
I randomly tried this because I wanted good bone puns.
It ended up being another boring and worthless gimmick with puerile characters to boot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2015 4:55 PM

Aug 2015
Surya---__--- said:
It ended up being another boring and worthless gimmick with puerile characters to boot.

Says the guy that hates and complains on everything he watches, and which spectations are so high that nothing can please him.
Oct 7, 2015 4:59 PM

Jun 2014
Great visuals, OST, characters, and concept. I love it. It was like if Hyouka and Gosick had a baby. Hopefully it'll stay good this whole season to become AOTS ^.^
SchwingBoner said:

This scene especially reminded me of Gosick.
Oct 7, 2015 5:12 PM

Nov 2013
Nope.

Really uncomfortable to watch, I could only get through half of it. I am not interested in Jeffrey Dahmer's ex girlfriend, so this one is a pass for me.
Oct 7, 2015 5:13 PM

Jul 2014
Pretty good first ep, animation was obviously great but i'm not too sure how much I like the premise. Will give this a chance though
Oct 7, 2015 5:15 PM

Feb 2013
I liked it. Once I know more about the main story I think I could get really into this. The animation was one of the best I've seen so far. Looking forward to more :)
Oct 7, 2015 5:19 PM

Nov 2012
I think the dialogue and monologue sound really bad, and the seiyuu's acting doesn't help much. Other than that, a pretty OK episode.

Once again, Japanese police is useless
Oct 7, 2015 5:37 PM

Jun 2013
That was a pretty great first episode, pretty interesting too

The quality was pretty great too, I really like the backgrounds and stuffs
Oct 7, 2015 5:38 PM

Jun 2014
Like others have stated the visuals looked beautiful. It's like this is the season of eye candy or something with this, K, One punch man, and Owarimonogatari. I don't mind, having another treat for the eyes is always nice. Hopefully this and the other shows I mentioned can consistently produce stellar art and animation.

Not a bad start, looking forward to seeing how this story progresses. Sakurako was impressive showing off her deductive abilities but at the same time has a posessive childish nature lol. I hope the MC doesn't continue to bitch and whine for the whole anime though, just let Sakurako do her thing.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 7, 2015 5:49 PM

Jul 2013
Reizo_Da_Firenze said:
Surya---__--- said:

Says the guy that hates and complains on everything he watches, and which spectations are so high that nothing can please him.

I like a lot of things, sorta. Not sure if I can say the same for you.
What are you even talking about. This is the only show in which I even took the effort to say something about. No one cares( except you?), but I just wanted to express my disappointment for some reason. Either way, this episode is genuinely terrible. Some random chick who gets turned on by bones is apparently capable of making bullshit theories and expositions out of flashy imaginations than trained professionals. The supporting male is pretty obnoxious. The mystery was quite vapid and the bone gimmick really is not something people should be noting. I have no clue anyone thinks the mc is a seasonal best girl material besides lolxd she so autistic and cute, would bone/10.
I thought this show was going to be funny in a stupid way (like my bone joke), but it is stupid in a boring way.

Those aren't high expectations, man.
Now you can criticize me for making an asinine and bloated reply, but you won't read this anyway.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2015 6:05 PM

Sep 2013
I really liked the music and Sakurako herself.
Oct 7, 2015 6:06 PM

Nov 2013
i was looking forward to this one the most, it's so beautiful.<3
Oct 7, 2015 6:07 PM

Jan 2013
Great first episode. A unique premise.
Oct 7, 2015 6:11 PM

Jan 2011
This first episode was fantastic. Already within the first minute I was blown away by the beautiful visuals and animation. You can really tell this is a very high quality budget anime series from TROYCA and this is their first official anime that they're producing excluding Aldnoah.Zero. Shoutarou's relationship with Sakurako is such a mystery though. I really want to know how they met and why Shoutarou is always with her now. Sakurako's fascination with bones is very unique. That scene where she investigates the bodies was amazing, especially that sequence where we saw all those various animal bones moving around.

Sakurako wanted to take that skull home and was acting so fishy. I liked how Shoutarou acts like the adult and Sakurako acts like a child. xD The cherry blossoms in this anime is so nice, love seeing them. The OP song sounds so great too! Really looking forward to more of this mystery-based anime.
5/5
Oct 7, 2015 6:15 PM

Jan 2011
and i thought K,OPM would be the only Eye candies this season, i was looking forward to seeing if this was any good

Sakurako sure is a odd but interesting character makes me question the point of this "boy" being here.
Oct 7, 2015 7:13 PM

Aug 2015
Feels like a pleasant revisit of both Bones and BBC Sherlock...I LOVE this: the eccentric detective with a rational sidekick, a tried and true pairing that would be amazing if done right.

The music is interesting: the use of jazzy sax and the usual piano mystery chords is certainly rather unconventional.

The visuals have punch, but lacks KyoAni-level polish: some sequences still feel stubbornly rushed in its use of CGI, despite the level of lense, filters and lighting P.P

katsu044 said:
and i thought K,OPM would be the only Eye candies this season, i was looking forward to seeing if this was any good

Sakurako sure is a odd but interesting character makes me question the point of this "boy" being here.

The boy is the John Watson of this pairing: he is the one who rationalises the genius' brain, and keeps the genius in check before (in this case) she goes too far in her obsession, and to explain her inner rationalisations with humanly understandable words.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
NTADOct 7, 2015 7:21 PM
Anime talk, music and analysis, plus random moments of inspirations and rants | https://atmafunomena.wordpress.com/
Oct 7, 2015 7:29 PM
Nov 2013
Damn, those visuals were on the same level as KyoAni and PA Works, absolutely stunning! And I must say, Sakurako is probably gonna need up being the best heroine of this season.

Exceeded my expectations. I really hope this delivers, cause this was one of my favorite premieres of fall so far.
Oct 7, 2015 7:47 PM

Apr 2014
This one was good eh?
Sakurako's blushing is cute.
Not really into Mystery anime/novel/manga, but this one is as good as Hyouka, Kamisama no Memochou and Gosick.
Looking forward to see if their relationship will turns into love.
Oct 7, 2015 7:50 PM

Aug 2015
Surya---__--- said:
Reizo_Da_Firenze said:

What are you even talking about. This is the only show in which I even took the effort to say something about. No one cares( except you?), but I just wanted to express my disappointment for some reason. Either way, this episode is genuinely terrible. Some random chick who gets turned on by bones is apparently capable of making bullshit theories and expositions out of flashy imaginations than trained professionals. The supporting male is pretty obnoxious. The mystery was quite vapid and the bone gimmick really is not something people should be noting. I have no clue anyone thinks the mc is a seasonal best girl material besides lolxd she so autistic and cute, would bone/10.
I thought this show was going to be funny in a stupid way (like my bone joke), but it is stupid in a boring way.

Now you can criticize me for making an asinine and bloated reply, but you won't read this anyway.

How I can see your high spectations and how you bash everything? I just have to take a look at your list to notice it, You basically hate Everything
Oct 7, 2015 7:58 PM

Jul 2013
Not sure why the kid is getting so much hate. He is the straightman to contrast with and reign in the female lead (as well as being the voice of sanity).
Oct 7, 2015 8:00 PM

Jun 2015
Reizo_Da_Firenze said:
Surya---__--- said:

How I can see your high spectations and how you bash everything? I just have to take a look at your list to notice it, You basically hate Everything

Oh please, he can't possibly hate everyth -

*looks at list*

Holy shit ...
Oct 7, 2015 8:03 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Equitum said:
Reizo_Da_Firenze said:

*looks at list*

Holy shit ...

Oh fuck.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 7, 2015 8:05 PM

Apr 2015
I don't really like the MC. Great animation and an interesting start. I still think I need more episodes to see if it's good.
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Oct 7, 2015 8:20 PM

Jul 2015
Raincoatk said:
Hyouka 2

Yeah this had Hyouka vibes 100%. The animation is smooth and the music is catchy, definitely looking forward to this one.
Oct 7, 2015 8:25 PM

Feb 2015
A love for bones huh? Interesting.
I especially like the detective aspect. You always get impressed how the characters solve cases like that. Animation was really good too.

Anime | Profile | Manga
「The day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday I saw a deer, and today, you.」

Oct 7, 2015 8:31 PM

Mar 2013
I dislike the character interactions between the two mains. How many times did he say "Sakurako san!" again? Their interactions just annoy me, on both ends to an extent, but especially the normal MC.
Oct 7, 2015 8:33 PM
Aug 2012
this season isnt looking too good huh
Oct 7, 2015 8:53 PM

Apr 2014
unmemorablehero said:
Oh my god this looks like it's going to be so good!!!! And I almost completely overlooked it.....it didn't grab my attention.....SO glad I watched this.

Same here! There were only 3 that I knew for sure I'd be watching (sequels) but I'm glad I looked over all the premieres again and picked this up. I don't watch much mystery anime (pretty hesitant to watch this after ranpo kitan last season...ugh) but this was really interesting! I agree with everyone who finds Sakurako-san's eccentric personality to be really good for the show. I like how she's kind of creepy/weird but not Gasai Yuno-type yandere (too many shows with that trope imo but I digress). And about Shoutarou:
Lackluster said:
I've had enough of those lawful good cookie-cutter male MCs who lack any personality whatsoever.

At first I didn't understand why everyone was hating on him so much but I took a second to think about this and that fits a lot of the mystery shows that I've glimpsed myself so far. Hopefully he ends up being useful to the show somehow. Like others, I thought that he and Sakurako-san would be dating from the description, which would be nice, but if they aren't then that's fine too. I just hope they go over how they met in the first place and show us more of what they're relationship is like I guess.

And, random, but when I first came across this anime and the translation of the title (A corpse is buried under Sakurako's feet), I almost got the impression that Sakurako-san would be pinned as a murderer of one of the remains she would find at some point, but it doesn't seem like that would happen. But I do imagine and anticipate whatever trouble these two get into.

And, this goes without saying, but the animation was stunning!

Oct 7, 2015 9:15 PM

Oct 2014
Stunning visual, one of the best this year..
Oct 7, 2015 9:16 PM

Nov 2010
It was Ok, i just wish if nothing gonna happen between the two, we don't need to get teased, it's fucking boring.
Oct 7, 2015 9:19 PM
Jun 2015
Hmmm...got some BBC's Sherlock vibes, looks like it will be interesting...
Oct 7, 2015 9:21 PM

Jul 2013
Reizo_Da_Firenze said:

Words > Numbers. I made list scores arbitrary because it annoys people who obsess over shallow numerical values. The higher the number the more I care about a work, the rest I just don't care about even if they had their enjoyable escapism value or something.

I still don't how that leads me to have high expectations when I said that I literally had no expectations for this and was just giving my impressions on the episode like every other useless post in this thread.

Aerensianic said:
He is the straightman to contrast with and reign in the female lead (as well as being the voice of sanity).

Someone like Watson was respectable, had charisma and evoked empathy.
The guy in this show has none of those. It doesn't help when their dialogue and chemistry is quite bland. His voice and design also sucks,
You might not agree, but this would be why I don't like him even if he is supposed to fit a typical paradigm.
Oct 7, 2015 9:26 PM
Jul 2018
wasn't interesting to me at all.. :P
Oct 7, 2015 9:46 PM

Aug 2013
This was very interesting.

Art was very well done, everything looked awesome.

Sakurako is a very interesting character. With the snap of a finger she can go from selfish child like tsundere, to complete genius who leaves everyone around her awe struck and bewildered into silence.

Her chemistry with the boy is good too. She's a carefree spirit who's also an expert in what she knows, and looks for leeway whenever possible. He's still green, he's by the book, and somehow has to discipline her all the time.

*Inb4 dark plot twist where fiancée gets murdered and she has to solve it and then has depression coping relations with the boy in a master/student situation....I wish, hahaha.

OP was decent. Not something I think I'd listen to on the regular, but the tone sounds like it fits the show. We'll get a better perspective on it next week.

Love the kid who said "oh the music was 3-5 decibels too loud. Reall, 3-5? That specific? What are you a fucking bat? lmfao

karlstein12 said:
On a side note, this title needs a good short name kek, because from what I can see it's gonna be on everyone's lips this season.

They'll either call it Sakurako-san, or Beautiful Bones
Oct 7, 2015 9:46 PM

May 2015
loved it !! i've been waiting for it and it didn't disappoint me .. it seemed really good :D
+ the visuals were awesome !
[center][center]
Oct 7, 2015 9:47 PM

Aug 2014
I expected it to be good and it delivered lol

Well, I guess.. We won't be expecting romance in this series since Sakurako is already engaged .. *sigh* The one mature woman and she is engaged... I will still wave the ship's flag proudly in hopes that both Sakurako and the Male MC get together.
Oct 7, 2015 9:59 PM

Aug 2013
DatRandomDude said:
Equitum said:

*looks at list*

Holy shit ...

Oh fuck.

Had to take a look at list too...holy fucking shit is right.

And people wonder why the MAL rating on an anime's page is useless. Because people like this guy exist.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2015

211 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 4:19 PM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2015

117 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2015

96 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 3:08 PM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2015

109 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2015

80 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 2:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.