Forum Settings
Forums

Which classes are important and essential to take in school?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 10, 2015 3:25 PM
Sep 10, 2015 3:40 PM

Nov 2014
Everything is important in its own way I suppose. Though they should have more classes on adulting :p filled with subjects like teaching kids about their credit score and just how every thing in you life almost will be affected by it. How to prepare resume properly. That credit cards are the devil and how to avoid being in debt (though if your going to college I suppose that subject is entirely irrelevant). so on and what not.
Then again it has been 11 years since I've set foot in a classroom so for all I know they teach it all now...feeling old now :p
Sep 10, 2015 5:21 PM

May 2013
Szefi said:
NudeBear said:

Wait, seriously? You don't even learn how to read music? In Hungary? The birthplace of the Kodaly method? :O I always assumed musical education in your country was great based on what I read about Zoltan Kodaly and how he influenced public education. I'm surprised.
While Hungary has 3 really famous people related to music (Liszt, Kodály, Bartók), the music education is really not that great. Except if you choose a musical school, of course. The special musical education might be pretty high-quality though.

In elementary all my teacher did every class was messing with a problem student. Making him do pushups, making fun of him. When someone did something bad (like talking in class or leaving his books/notebook at home), she would make them sing some song.
We have to learn more than 200 Hungarian folk songs yet I barely know 15, and not because I wasn't paying attention. We learned a bit of solmization (I paid attention so I can still remember but almost everyone else in my class forgot it) and the differences between old-style and new-style folk music. We also learned about the musical eras and the most important figures and music types. I also memorized that because this is kind of related to history (a thing I like), but yet again, barely anyone in my class remembers.
We never tried to learn any instrument. We only learned the different groups of instruments. We also learned a bit about the traditional instruments of certain areas (Arabic world, Latin America, Africa, Japan, Europe...).

We didn't learn how to sing, we were just told to sing based on the rhythm of the song (the song was full instrumental and we had to sing). This "method" (not sure if you can call that a method) didn't have good results. My class singing is monotone and lifeless, it's like a group of people reading a farewell poem on a funeral.

Both of my music teachers (elementary and high school) said it's important to have a music class because knowing about musical history (including your nation's folk music) makes you intelligent.

It's also telling that out of all the classes I've known, including my own class, not one thought music class is any important.

A bit of an inside info. Every single class has been getting worse since 1990, except for English class, and that is only because nobody learned English in school before 1990...

Long story short, the musical education (based on the famous Kodály method) sounds very nice on paper, but in practice it's...bad. It's not the method itself that's bad. We are simply not even following the Kodály method, or we leave out 80% of things.
Not gonna lie, the "Idontcare" mentality of students doesn't help either.

Do you know what's interesting? You guys are pretty much singling out classes because of how unimportant they are but I think because of your classes you know all this info. Do you know how many American's dont even know what instrument Mozart played? or who Kodaly even is? The only reason I know both is because of a music class. It's interesting because I agree with pretty much everything you guys are saying, I just think if it weren't for all the classes in high school, and the classes in college(either required or taken because of interest) I wouldn't be as half as smart as I am today. Except for gym. I have no excuse for gym. I can't think of a single intellectual benefit of gym class, and honestly, not even a physical one. But, maybe if nobody had gym there would be a huge change. Who knows. At least when I had gym, I had the laziest guy every time.
Sep 10, 2015 5:28 PM

Jul 2012
I agree with the person who says that everyone should be exposed to the arts at one point in their life. It's important to let a child try out all the different non-academic skills to see if they're into it or not.

Comic_Sans said:
Not physics at least

Fuck that shit

+1

Protaku94 said:
Everything besides math.

learn math to improve money skills. don't get ripped off while shopping.
Sep 10, 2015 5:37 PM

Apr 2015
AnnoKano said:

Do you really think it is wise to teach young people economics when so much of it is ideological?

What ideological?

This

TheBrainintheJar said:
Economy, because we will all be a part of it eventually.

Sooner or later, they'll be part of world economy (it's certain) and they'll need at least to understand a little how's macro/ micro economy works, how's financial management works, how to deal with the bank, and the general theory of employment, interest and money.

And literally speaking, you can see that most of the students took an early interest in economy too, because they realise that they'll definitely need it someday.

AnnoKano said:

I have no idea why everyone is confident that leaving students to study history in their own time will bear no ill effects, despite opening the door for disinformation, selective omission of historical events and a lack of balance... all of which could be alleviated significantly by having a curriculum determine by the state.

Yet almost everyone insists that science must be taught in schools, even though the only component of a science class that cannot also be learned from reading books is the procedure for conducting scientific experiments, a process of limited practical use to most people, even most of those who go on to work in a STEM field!

I know this is the internet, where everyone has to pretend they have a massive hard on for science and thinks the arts and humanities are more like hobbies than actual academic subjects worthy of rigorous study... but honestly, is science really that important? Or rather, is history so unimportant that it doesn't really matter if people don't know when the Second World War happened or why Fascism doesn't work?

Hmm... in short.

I do think something like science, engineering, programming, art, music, history, etc is categorized as a specific skill, it's about how the world will see you as an individual. Are you an engineer, a musician, or a scientist? Yeah something like that....

But economy is different. It's essential for an indivual to understand how economy works, it's only my opinion though.
WEABOO SCIENTIST
Sep 10, 2015 5:37 PM

Jul 2014
Essay and business writing (two very different courses), math, and for those in college take at least one elective that's outside your degree requirements that you think will truly interest you and take it early on. It could change the entire perspective you have on your future and it's good to catch something like that early.
Sep 10, 2015 5:38 PM

Jul 2013
Reading, writing and basic math. Everything else is just pointless and a waste of time unless you intend to pursue a career that requires it. Everything else should be offered but not required, jobs should provide a list of exact skills they expect you to have. None of this we want our students to be "well rounded" crap.
Sep 10, 2015 5:38 PM

Sep 2012
I think the order science classes are taught is a little backwards.

For example, in high school my science classes went like this:

9th grade: Earth Science (geology, oceanography, meteorology, etc)
10th grade: Biology
11th grade: Chemistry
12th grade: Physics (I took AP Biology instead, but most of my peers took physics)

But concepts in biology are based on chemistry, and learning about them without a background in chemistry is confusing. It results in not actually learning the material, or not fully understanding the processes at work. And chemistry builds off of physics in the same way. Taking them in "reverse order", from "bigger" to "smaller" seems kind of counter intuitive to me. It makes learning a process of just memorizing factoids to fill in the blank on test questions, instead of having an actual conceptual understanding of what's being taught and being able to apply critical thinking.
Sep 10, 2015 5:41 PM

Jul 2013
Red_Keys said:

12th grade: Physics (I took AP Biology instead, but most of my peers took physics)

But concepts in biology are based on chemistry, and learning about them without a background in chemistry is confusing. It results in not actually learning the material, or not fully understanding the processes at work. And chemistry builds off of physics in the same way. Taking them in "reverse order", from "bigger" to "smaller" seems kind of counter intuitive to me.

What can you honestly learn in physics without calculus? All you can do is learn the concepts. No one is going to be on a calculus math level in 9th grade.
Sep 10, 2015 5:43 PM

Jul 2014
Aka_Saber said:
Red_Keys said:

But concepts in biology are based on chemistry, and learning about them without a background in chemistry is confusing. It results in not actually learning the material, or not fully understanding the processes at work. And chemistry builds off of physics in the same way. Taking them in "reverse order", from "bigger" to "smaller" seems kind of counter intuitive to me.

What can you honestly learn in physics without calculus? All you can do is learn the concepts. No one is going to be on a calculus math level in 9th grade.
I was doing calculus when I took physics in 11th grade? The entire course was labeling the variables and finding the formula to fit them in.
Sep 10, 2015 5:44 PM

Sep 2012
Aka_Saber said:
I was first introduced to physics in college, and it was mostly algebra based. By 9th grade I had already taken algebra. Also, I think combining the necessary math with the physics wouldn't be too difficult. Sure, it's math based, but that really just amounts to formulas used to plug numbers into.
Sep 10, 2015 5:46 PM
Jul 2015
Know your History so you can know what works and what doesn't.

Learn English so you can read, write, and speak.

Learn Math so you can make sure the used car salesman gets exactly what is coming to him.

Learn Waifuosophy so you can treat your waifus right.
Sep 10, 2015 5:46 PM

Jul 2012
Aka_Saber said:

You can learn how things move. Stuff like velocity, gravity, etc.
Sep 10, 2015 5:53 PM

Jul 2013
ibear said:
I was doing calculus when I took physics in 11th grade? The entire course was labeling the variables and finding the formula to fit them in.

11th grade is reasonable depending on the situation, however I doubt if any normal person is taking Calc and Physics by 9th grade.

Red_Keys said:
I was first introduced to physics in college, and it was mostly algebra based. By 9th grade I had already taken algebra. Also, I think combining the necessary math with the physics wouldn't be too difficult. Sure, it's math based, but that really just amounts to formulas used to plug numbers into.

There isn't much you can do in Physics with algebra alone.

"Really just amounts to formulas used to plug numbers into". Good one, if it was that easy I'm sure we could all be rocket scientists and making 6 digits a year.

mayukachan said:

Those are just the concepts though. What's the point if you're just going to have to take a deeper version of the class again later anyways?
Aka_SaberSep 10, 2015 5:57 PM
Sep 10, 2015 6:01 PM

Sep 2012
Aka_Saber said:
ibear said:

11th grade is reasonable depending on the situation, however I doubt if any normal person is taking Calc and Physics by 9th grade.

Red_Keys said:

There isn't much you can do in Physics with algebra alone.

"Really just amounts to formulas used to plug numbers into". Good one, if it was that easy I'm sure we could all be rocket scientists and making 6 digits a year.

mayukachan said:

Those are just the concepts though. What's the point if you're just going to have to take a deeper version of the class again later anyways?
Are you under the delusion that high school classes give you credentials to work at NASA or something?
Sep 10, 2015 6:02 PM

Sep 2013
Certain subjects are foundational and necessary for everybody, but education shouldn't stop there. Beyond the foundational subjects, the relative importance of other subjects will vary based on an individual's talents or life goals. Since I'm considering a second career in education, I have been giving a lot of thought to issues like this lately.

I would consider the following to be foundational subjects. There may be variations in how far people should go in these subjects, but everybody needs some background.

Language - Everyone needs proficiency in the primary language of their country or region. Without this, life is difficult, and there can be little progress in other areas. Everyone needs to be able to communicate.

Math - This is another fundamental skill. It is useful in daily life as well as in trades and advanced academic pursuits. The average person may not need to go beyond algebra and geometry, but calculus is essential for anyone going into science, engineering, or other math-intensive fields.

Basic science - Our societies nowadays are so dependent on science and technology that the general population needs basic scientific literacy. In the United States, we need to work on this; significant portions of the population have little understanding of how science operates, and it is hurting us as a society. I hope other industrialized societies are doing better in this regard.

History/government/politics - People living in any society need a basic understanding of their history and their political system. A public that is ignorant of its history and its system of government is hardly qualified to govern itself.

Creative pursuits - When education reform efforts try to focus on the basics, creativity often loses out. I consider creativity to be one of the basics, and the educational system in the United States, for all its faults, has historically been good at nurturing creativity. This can take many forms. Classes in the arts, vocational trades, language, science, and practically any other field can promote creativity if designed properly.

Basic life skills - In an ideal world, this would be the job of parents. Unfortunately, parents sometimes don't do this job well, and if the schools make some effort to fill this gap, it will benefit society. Included here could be health, sex education, money management, and domestic skills. The precise subjects would depend on the local situation. Students who can demonstrate that their parents have been doing a proper job should be able to skip this sort of class.

Beyond these fundamentals, it is important for students to have access to variety so that they can pursue their personal goals and prepare themselves for university, community college, a trade apprenticeship, or future work. Depending on personal goals and societal needs, foreign language, philosophy, religion, social science, advanced science, advanced math, computer skills, vocational training, home economics, art, music, business, economics, health, or physical education might be vitally important.

I'm personally not a big fan of physical education since it usually seems to be little more than a venue for bullies to operate unhindered, but I understand that it can be valuable to some people. I just question the idea of forcing everybody into it.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Sep 10, 2015 6:04 PM

Jul 2013
Red_Keys said:
Are you under the delusion that high school classes give you credentials to work at NASA or something?

Not at all, but I am under the impression this thread is about what we should take and what we shouldn't. Is it not a waste of time to take a low conceptual level class when you don't need to unless you want to pursue a career in it? If you're pursuing a career then you certainly won't get away with just the basic concepts. I wouldn't want to take a sugar coated version of a class.
Sep 10, 2015 6:09 PM

Sep 2012
Aka_Saber said:
Red_Keys said:

Not at all, but I am under the impression this thread is about what we should take and what we shouldn't. Is it not a waste of time to take a low conceptual level class when you don't need to unless you want to pursue a career in it? If you're pursuing a career then you certainly won't get away with just the basic concepts. I wouldn't want to take a sugar coated version of a class.
If you're going to pursue a career in something, it's going to take further education than high school. Especially for something like physics.

You take classes in high school so that you can get an idea of what it is you do want to do. Kind of like an open buffet, sampling everything. I believe we should take as much as we can in high school. I wouldn't have known I liked organic chemistry if I hadn't taken it.

Nobody is going to be a master of any subject after taking a high school class, whether it be in 9th grade or 12th grade.
Sep 10, 2015 6:21 PM

Jul 2013
Red_Keys said:
If you're going to pursue a career in something, it's going to take further education than high school. Especially for something like physics.

You take classes in high school so that you can get an idea of what it is you do want to do. Kind of like an open buffet, sampling everything. I believe we should take as much as we can in high school. I wouldn't have known I liked organic chemistry if I hadn't taken it.

Nobody is going to be a master of any subject after taking a high school class, whether it be in 9th grade or 12th grade.

I know it would take longer than high school. My point is why take a watered down class that won't really help you get a feel for the subject? You need to have the prerequisites down before you take on the subject. If you haven't taken the math and feel comfortable with it then getting your hopes up for physics is a wasted effort.

It's fine if we're talking about a class like organic chemistry that doesn't require an extensive background in another subject to do well in. But some classes you do need to have certain knowledge and have it down well before you could have any real hope of doing well or understanding what's going on.

That's to be expected. My point is why bother taking a very light version of a class without knowing what you need for it? They may waste time trying the class, decide they like it then find out they aren't cut out for doing the math required for it. Then that was just a wasted effort for them. It's nice to want to try things but when trying it I think you should start at the bottom of what's required not a nice hand held version of what's beyond.
Sep 10, 2015 6:21 PM

Mar 2008
Red_Keys said:
Aka_Saber said:

What you learned is not the same as what someone else may have learned though. In some schools they actually focus on individual subjects like a further education would.
Sep 10, 2015 6:26 PM

Jul 2013
traed said:
What you learned is not the same as what someone else may have learned though. In some schools they actually focus on individual subjects like a further education would.

I like the idea of focused education. Is why I wasn't arguing with the possibility of Calc and Physics in high school. I know some schools focus education in certain areas. My school didn't and I wasn't exposed to Calc and Physics until college. I have already accepted some people may advance further quicker, but 9th grade is a stretch by most standards.
Sep 10, 2015 6:27 PM
May 2015
Highschool math and language should be the minimum. If you want a lifelong career its a different story.
EL PSY CONGROO
Sep 10, 2015 6:28 PM

Mar 2008
Aka_Saber said:
traed said:

I like the idea of focused education. Is why I wasn't arguing with the possibility of Calc and Physics in high school. I know some schools focus education in certain areas. My school didn't and I wasn't exposed to Calc and Physics until college. I have already accepted some people may advance further quicker, but 9th grade is a stretch by most standards.
I did not attend a school like this so im not sure what its like but I know someone else who does. The school has separate divisions for different fields. and youre able to change the field so its not permanently something youre stuck with either.
Sep 10, 2015 6:30 PM

Aug 2015
Why not cooking? I honestly think this is the skill you will use most in life. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks. You need to use it at least 4 times a day and it saves lots of money as well. I honestly would rather get stuck in a house with someone who knows how to cook than someone who can spout random science facts. No offence to science btw, I actually like science.
Sep 10, 2015 6:31 PM

Sep 2012
I don't think high school should be specific subject focused.

You're not even old enough to get a tattoo. Why should you be mature enough to start studying a specific subject for the rest of your life?
Sep 10, 2015 6:33 PM

Jul 2013
traed said:
I did not attend a school like this so im not sure what its like but I know someone else who does. The school has separate divisions for different fields. and youre able to change the field so its not permanently something youre stuck with either.

My school was the well rounded type. They also kept certain opportunities hidden. Like our school didn't officially have a calc teacher and it wasn't until the year after I left that I found out they had a program I could have gone out to a community college to take classes at. I did take the college credit classes I could though. Would have been nice to know that even though my school didn't technically offer it I could have written it off for free at the community college. Anyways, I like the idea of being able to explore certain fields deeper, if I don't plan to pursue a job in a certain field there is no good reason to waste time taking the class.

Red_Keys said:

You're not even old enough to get a tattoo. Why should you be mature enough to start studying a specific subject for the rest of your life?

A lot of college prep is done in high school so it's actually highly recommended to have an idea of what you want to do. Generally 9th grade is considered the screw around year for transitioning to high school and 10th grade is the time you should have a plan. At least that's what was expected here.

Astoeli said:
Why not cooking? I honestly think this is the skill you will use most in life. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks. You need to use it at least 4 times a day and it saves lots of money as well. I honestly would rather get stuck in a house with someone who knows how to cook than someone who can spout random science facts. No offence to science btw, I actually like science.

I can actually agree with this. I probably would have taken cooking if I didn't have to take so many pointless classes. It's a really undervalued skill in this day and age.
Aka_SaberSep 10, 2015 6:42 PM
Sep 10, 2015 6:41 PM

Aug 2015
Aka_Saber said:
traed said:

A year 12 pass in physics is a requirement for a lot of engineering courses/jobs where I'm from.
Plus the knowledge learnt in physics is more than just simple forces. In terms of the sciences personally I think it's the most important to learn (slightly more than chemistry), biology is a slack subject (or maybe I was lazy/disinterested).

PE is great, not just the playing games part the physical 'education' part, learn how to take care of yourself properly, so i think it has to be mandatory up to maybe 16 years old.
Sep 10, 2015 6:43 PM

Apr 2015
Red_Keys said:

Yep. Pretty much this.

But again, economy is different. Someone should have know at least a little knowledge about economy to understand about life, politics and their position in this world.
WEABOO SCIENTIST
Sep 10, 2015 6:47 PM

Jul 2013
Jalapolo said:

A year 12 pass in physics is a requirement for a lot of engineering courses/jobs where I'm from.
Plus the knowledge learnt in physics is more than just simple forces. In terms of the sciences personally I think it's the most important to learn (slightly more than chemistry), biology is a slack subject (or maybe I was lazy/disinterested).

PE is great, not just the playing games part the physical 'education' part, learn how to take care of yourself properly, so i think it has to be mandatory up to maybe 16 years old.

A year 12 pass? I'm not quite following. Are you saying they require you to have mastered it by that point or just simply understand the concepts?
Physics is probably the most important science, it is the science of how our world works. But it's also the most complicated of them, you can't just jump into a physics class like a chemistry or biology class. You would need to have some pretty significant math knowledge.

PE was a waste of time, I had enough physical education outside of school. All PE did was bother me since it forced me to pretend to be active in a sport I hated with people I hated more.
Sep 10, 2015 7:42 PM

Aug 2010
nopainnolife said:
But economy is different. It's essential for an indivual to understand how economy works, it's only my opinion though.

No, this is not just your opinion, it is an absolute fact. I'm really surprised not many mention business or economics. Do you guys want to be broke or what?

Speaking of being broke, I think it is absolutely essential to teach a mandatory Financial Savings course in highschool. This would be the MOST important course in highschool. There are too many fucking people that don't know what to do with their money.
Sep 10, 2015 7:44 PM

Jul 2012
Red_Keys said:

You should get the choice to not take useless courses for the career you wish to pursue. In 10th grade, I knew that I would go into a computer/technology degree in uni, why should I be forced to take Canadian History?
Sep 10, 2015 8:10 PM

May 2013
mayukachan said:
Red_Keys said:

You should get the choice to not take useless courses for the career you wish to pursue. In 10th grade, I knew that I would go into a computer/technology degree in uni, why should I be forced to take Canadian History?

Because it's important that you know a general amount of your own nation's history? Probably has something to do with it. Unless you want the majority of your country not knowing shit about anything, leading to a less intelligent population,which leads to politicians being able to lie their asses off all the time to sway voters(Ahem...america).

Highschool is highschool. It should absolutely require you to take general education. You're 14,15, 16,17(in canada, america ends at 18) you're not smart. Besides, you could easily change your major, and if you think that high schools of any country have the money, size, and power to just make an entire section of the building all about computer science just to fuel about 20 kids's possible major, half of which will most likely drop out of college anyway after 2 years, then you're misguided. Not trying to be rude. Because what I just described was a college.

That's what colleges do. Now, you'll find in college(at least, here in the states[I've read it's different in Europe, Australia, etc]) that it becomes the same thing. I had to take a U.S history class. I had to take english, math(4 to transfer but I only needed 1 english because I tested into high tier) you also need 9 credits from science, 6 from social & 4 from the humanities(like film or art or dance etc) That's usually your first 2-3 years, assuming everything goes according to plan. Then, I will 100% support any claim that once you get to college you should be able to only take classes to do with your major. However, that being said, I've become much more intelligent, and learned much more in the classes I had to take & I don't regret it. You should embrace any knowledge you come across. Knowledge is power is truly a wise saying.
Sep 10, 2015 9:58 PM

Jul 2012
@above
Bro. I'm in college right now and I'm STILL being forced to take humanities courses like psychology and philosophy. What the fuck? This isn't fair. I'm a computer science major. None of that shit will help me become a web developer.

I don't think being "intelligent" has to do with knowing your country's history. What if I move into the United States? Why do I need useless knowledge, that I've already forgotten 2 years ago, about Whats-His-Face?

It's disgusting how I had to be forced to take these courses. My marks in those courses lowered my average and I suffered through all of those projects and essays that I didn't give a shit about.
Sep 10, 2015 10:08 PM

May 2013
mayukachan said:
@above
Bro. I'm in college right now and I'm STILL being forced to take humanities courses like psychology and philosophy. What the fuck? This isn't fair. I'm a computer science major. None of that shit will help me become a web developer.

I don't think being "intelligent" has to do with knowing your country's history. What if I move into the United States? Why do I need useless knowledge, that I've already forgotten 2 years ago, about Whats-His-Face?

It's disgusting how I had to be forced to take these courses. My marks in those courses lowered my average and I suffered through all of those projects and essays that I didn't give a shit about.

That's what I mean. College it shouldn't be like that. 100% on board with you there.

Being intelligent, stems from being well rounded, with a yearning to become smarter, to develop constantly. History is important in many regards, as is math, as is science, as is english. Each one contributes. But again, we we both say, in college, if it ain't got shit to do with my major, why am I taking it. Math lowered my GPA all 4 classes I took. Could have easily been a 4.0 at least. Instead, it's a lousy 3.3
Sep 10, 2015 10:12 PM

May 2014
They can all be beneficial depending on how you see it actually. Math can improve your skills in analyzing, History will help you understand why some things are still the same in the society, Psychology will teach you why some people act that way and how you should deal with people (I have taken Business Psych last sem, very interesting), Interactive English for good verbal skills, Accounting for basic bookkeeping, etc. etc.. For me, they're all equally important.
Sep 10, 2015 10:13 PM
May 2015
mayukachan said:
@above

I couldnt stop laughing when i remembered u go to UofT
EL PSY CONGROO
Sep 10, 2015 10:14 PM

Jul 2012
6Man said:
elaborate? lol

violity said:
They can all be beneficial depending on how you see it actually. Math can improve your skills in analyzing, History will help you understand why some things are still the same in the society, Psychology will teach you why some people act that way and how you should deal with people (I have taken Business Psych last sem, very interesting), Interactive English for good verbal skills, Accounting for basic bookkeeping, etc. etc.. For me, they're all equally important.

They're not "necessary" though. Some of them.

Being intelligent, stems from being well rounded, with a yearning to become smarter, to develop constantly. History is important in many regards, as is math, as is science, as is english.

Forcing someone to take a subject they aren't particularly interested in, when they could be spending that time to learn something more relevant...
Sep 10, 2015 10:16 PM
May 2015
mayukachan said:
6Man said:
elaborate? lol

As in UofT always finds a way to fuck us over
EL PSY CONGROO
Sep 10, 2015 10:17 PM

Jul 2012
6Man said:
mayukachan said:
elaborate? lol

yup ;-;

did you hear about the death threats? someone threatened to go inside women studies classes and kill all the feminists with illegal guns..
Sep 10, 2015 10:20 PM
May 2015
mayukachan said:
6Man said:

yup ;-;

did you hear about the death threats? someone threatened to go inside women studies classes and kill all the feminists with illegal guns..
ahh so that's what the email was about.
EL PSY CONGROO
Sep 10, 2015 10:24 PM

May 2014
Yeah, depending on how you see it. If they aren't necessary to you then I have nothing against that, that's your opinion and I have my own.
Sep 10, 2015 10:30 PM

Jul 2012
6Man said:
mayukachan said:

yup ;-;

ahh so that's what the email was about.

yeah
tbh i'm a bit scared but luckily i'm only taking programming courses this semester..
Sep 11, 2015 7:19 AM

May 2015
nopainnolife said:
AnnoKano said:

Do you really think it is wise to teach young people economics when so much of it is ideological?

What ideological?

This

TheBrainintheJar said:
Economy, because we will all be a part of it eventually.

Sooner or later, they'll be part of world economy (it's certain) and they'll need at least to understand a little how's macro/ micro economy works, how's financial management works, how to deal with the bank, and the general theory of employment, interest and money.

And literally speaking, you can see that most of the students took an early interest in economy too, because they realise that they'll definitely need it someday.

AnnoKano said:

I have no idea why everyone is confident that leaving students to study history in their own time will bear no ill effects, despite opening the door for disinformation, selective omission of historical events and a lack of balance... all of which could be alleviated significantly by having a curriculum determine by the state.

Yet almost everyone insists that science must be taught in schools, even though the only component of a science class that cannot also be learned from reading books is the procedure for conducting scientific experiments, a process of limited practical use to most people, even most of those who go on to work in a STEM field!

I know this is the internet, where everyone has to pretend they have a massive hard on for science and thinks the arts and humanities are more like hobbies than actual academic subjects worthy of rigorous study... but honestly, is science really that important? Or rather, is history so unimportant that it doesn't really matter if people don't know when the Second World War happened or why Fascism doesn't work?

Hmm... in short.

I do think something like science, engineering, programming, art, music, history, etc is categorized as a specific skill, it's about how the world will see you as an individual. Are you an engineer, a musician, or a scientist? Yeah something like that....

The sciences are useful if you want to be a scientist. If not, scientific logic (Basic argumentation and all that fun) is essential. The facts are less so.

The arts aren't just a skill. The arts are product of human thought and experience. People who study art are trying to gain a better understanding of humanity and the world around them. It's not a skill that will get you money, but these are ideas that will help you in life in general.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 11, 2015 8:59 AM

Jun 2015
English/Language Arts.
Basic Math.
PE.
Government.
Health.
Sex Ed (at least one class every year, or 3 years starting from 5th grade. It doesn't need to be a regularly taken class imo)

Everything else should be an elective.
Sep 11, 2015 9:02 AM
Mar 2014
No type of education is "essential" and ever will be.

I think you mean to ask what should be required, to which I would respond Math and English.
Sep 11, 2015 4:34 PM

Jul 2014
Aka_Saber said:
ibear said:

No, I'm confused about how calculus fits in with physics. I've actually yet to take a calculus class. I was pretty shit at algebra so I took statistics as a senior instead of calc, and I found that physics was actually really easy at the time.
Sep 11, 2015 4:36 PM

May 2009
I can see the importance of most classes except gym. i hated it. I don't see the point of electives either.
Sep 11, 2015 4:39 PM

Jul 2015
Just Maths.

I would say Spelling and Grammar and stuff, but they don't even teach that anymore, because analysing Shakespeare is soooooooo much more useful.
Sep 11, 2015 4:42 PM
Mar 2013
Probably

Native Language - Goes without saying

Foreign Languages - In Europe you're fucked if you can't speak German or French

Maths - Everyday use

Geography - You should be able to identify countries on a map IMO

History - Preserve national identity by teaching country's history to the younger generation

Sciences - Always good to know how things work

IT - Necessary today, anything more advanced like CompSci is asking to go to the job centre though

Everything else is unnecessary IMO
Sep 11, 2015 4:49 PM

May 2011
All classes are essential, if there was an inconsequential subject, why'd they add it to your curriculum. Just choose what you love, I love English, physics and maths like algebra, geometry, statics and dynamics, I hate biology, history.

Not to mention how social studies sucked big time, it was like my everlasting nightmare. I discovered that everything that relates to humans sucks real bad.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» How do you feel about your digital footprint becoming your digital tombstone?

Shizuna - 11 hours ago

11 by Kwanthemaster »»
31 seconds ago

» Are you a pushover

ST63LTH - Today

11 by Kwanthemaster »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Vote your Instinct Stacking based on the proper description. Afterwards, tell me what you think of the dramatic analogies in the spoiler if you want.

IpreferEcchi - Today

3 by Kwanthemaster »»
14 minutes ago

» Have you ever put someone on the 'Ignored Users' list?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

16 by Playco_Armboy »»
1 hour ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

741 by Hitagi__Furude »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.