Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Dec 14, 2016 6:19 AM
Oct 2016
Gintoki_Coyle said:
Guess they just don't have a sense of humour

Yeah, but Gintama has better fighting arcs then most anime lol. But that is kinda the humor of it.
Dec 14, 2016 6:45 AM

Nov 2016
I haven't watched it yet, but insulting an anime just by watching few episodes is not a good habbit. Its like judging a book by its cover so we better watch it properly.
Dec 16, 2016 12:03 PM

Dec 2015
People have opinions, if they hate Gintama, they hate Gintama. if they Love Gintama, they love it. Personally in my opinion, I love Gintama but there are some episodes that are unfunny but the rest of Gintama is amazing
hi
Aug 25, 2018 1:55 PM

Apr 2018
Even though Gintama is ranked highly, people on other sites (I do my snooping) dislike it a lot. I think that is mainly because there are a lot of perverted jokes in the show, and people sometimes consider perverted comedy and poonis jokes to be too baseless and elementary. Additionally, people may not like the episodic storyline or the fact that the episodic storyline seems to go away in the sequels (especially seasons 5 and 6).

Last, but not least, people may not like Gintama as it parodies other shows, which other people may have liked.

However, Gintama is really good and you all should watch it if you haven't already :)
Oct 11, 2018 2:13 PM
Oct 2011
gintama isn't hated, it is only becoming more OVERRATED.
I used to love it so much, i watched lots of episodes but now guess what, i'm kinda glad i dropped it because it became boring with only main characters hogging all the glory like always, esp in the last arc. Almost no room for the supporting characters.
its cringy fans make gintama even more dislikeable for me now.
Warrior3Oct 11, 2018 2:16 PM
Oct 11, 2018 2:14 PM

Sep 2017
GINTAMA BAD BECAUSE IT HAS HIGH SCORE ON MAL CAN WE PLEASE STOP THIS!!!!11!!!
Edward Elric > your waifu

Oct 13, 2018 4:26 AM

Jan 2013
ResKori said:

I don't see how a westerner could find this anime funny enough to dedicate their time to watch so many episodes.

Watch more anime and learn more about Japan, then you'll find it funny.
Oct 13, 2018 4:30 AM

Aug 2018
Either they start with episode 1 instead of 3 or they haven’t seen enough anime to get the jokes
Oct 13, 2018 5:39 AM

Mar 2015
Gintama really doesn't rely on references as much as people make it seem. They do reference stuff in the dialogue from time to time but very rarely you have an episode that's completely referential. Most of these come later on and you really have to be living under a rock if you don't know what series or franchise it's parodying.
Oct 13, 2018 6:06 AM

Sep 2017
It being ranked high on MAL is probably one of the major reasons why people hate it and not only one but many of it's seasons... :/

My List
Hall Of Quotes
Set By Transience
Dec 1, 2018 12:16 PM
Oct 2011
With gintama's popularity growing each day, the fanbase has become as rabidly toxic as rat poison mixed with cyanide. That's the reason i dropped it. And it became boring and overrated now.
Nov 25, 2019 12:31 PM

Oct 2018
It’s always baffled me how Gintama fans think a series with pretty much 80% filler and 20% story is a “masterpiece” and the “best anime ever!!1!”

Gintama is overrated trash. It has a slow start, corny parodies, lame repetitive gags, no concise plot and has "serious arcs" when it's supposed to be a comedy first and foremost. What a complete mess of a series.

Plot: (1/10)
The comedic episodes that take up 80% of the series is just their to flesh out the characters, the world and repeat the same jokes over again. Don’t let these gintama tards fool you saying “you have to watch every episode to understand the story”. It’s unnecessary padding that has no affect on the actual plot, hence why it’s filler. You can skip them, look up the serious arc episodes and watch those and you’d still be caught up with the story.
The serious arcs are short, over-dramatic, have fake deaths, bland sword fights and are filled with the same overused shounen troupes like nakama power bullshit or villains giving long, cliche monologues. None of the arcs are even better than your average shounen arc, especially the overrated Shogun Assassination arc.

The whole structure is a mess. Some episodes are dedicated to the odd jobs, then the shinsengumi, one moment is serious then half way through it’s comedy. 3 episodes would be comedy, then the next 4 would be “mini serious arcs”, the plot’s all over the place!

Characters: (1/10)
The characters are over the top, unrealistic and have barely any development. Seriously, if you compare the Odd Jobs Trio from the first episodes to the latest episodes in the 2018 season, you’ll see that they’re pretty much exactly the same characters.

The worst part is the comedy is terrible. It’s as if it was written for 12 yr old weebs. The constant abusive punches/kicks, repetitive gags, overused references to other shows, cheesy dialogue, childish parodies and poop jokes are shit. Also, there’s so many references to Japanese culture that even the average viewer wouldn’t get the humor.

Overall (1/10):
Seriously, if you want to watch a episodic comedy series, then you might as well watch Spongebob instead because it at least doesn’t take 60+ episodes to “get good” like Gintama.
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Dec 17, 2019 7:32 PM

Mar 2019
emraanash said:
It’s always baffled me how Gintama fans think a series with pretty much 80% filler and 20% story is a “masterpiece” and the “best anime ever!!1!”

Gintama is overrated trash. It has a slow start, corny parodies, lame repetitive gags, no concise plot and has "serious arcs" when it's supposed to be a comedy first and foremost. What a complete mess of a series.

The comedic episodes that take up 80% of the series is just their to flesh out the characters, the world and repeat the same jokes over again. Don’t let these gintama tards fool you saying “you have to watch every episode to understand the story”. It’s unnecessary padding that has no affect on the actual plot, hence why it’s filler. You can skip them, look up the serious arc episodes and watch those and you’d still be caught up with the story.
The serious arcs are short, over-dramatic, have fake deaths, bland sword fights and are filled with the same overused shounen troupes like nakama power bullshit or villains giving long, cliche monologues. None of the arcs are even better than your average shounen arc, especially the overrated Shogun Assassination arc.

The whole structure is a mess. Some episodes are dedicated to the odd jobs, then the shinsengumi, one moment is serious then half way through it’s comedy. 3 episodes would be comedy, then the next 4 would be “mini serious arcs”, the plot’s all over the place!

The characters are over the top, unrealistic and have barely any development. Seriously, if you compare the Odd Jobs Trio from the first episodes to the latest episodes in the 2018 season, you’ll see that they’re pretty much exactly the same characters.

The worst part is the comedy is terrible. It’s as if it was written for 12 yr old weebs. The constant abusive punches/kicks, repetitive gags, overused references to other shows, cheesy dialogue, childish parodies and poop jokes are shit. Also, there’s so many references to Japanese culture that even the average viewer wouldn’t get the humor.

Overall (1/10):
Seriously, if you want to watch a episodic comedy series, then you might as well watch Spongebob instead because it at least doesn’t take 60+ episodes to “get good” like Gintama.

You're a special kinda stupid huh. I'm just gonna post this watch it or don't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3RSAy0TUAQ
Dec 20, 2019 6:01 PM

Mar 2019
Avolion said:
Dieshouri said:

You're a special kinda stupid huh. I'm just gonna post this watch it or don't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3RSAy0TUAQ

He did a solid argument about the flaws of the show. What's stupid about it?

Those aren't actual criticisms they're personal gripes he's trying to pass off as fact. Just to give a few examples, he actually said that anything that isn't a serious arc is filler, says that because a character doesn't develop they're bad, says the comedy is bad without actually listing the main form of comedy lol.
Dec 20, 2019 7:05 PM

Sep 2010
Well I have to admit Gintama does go stale when it comes to comedy sometimes. The serious arcs are the reason I kept up with it cause damn the series slaps so hard when everything gets real. Thats the only reason for my high scores it would be lower if it were solely a comedy/parody.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Dec 20, 2019 7:19 PM

Nov 2008
emraanash said:

The worst part is the comedy is terrible. It’s as if it was written for 12 yr old weebs. The constant abusive punches/kicks, repetitive gags, overused references to other shows, cheesy dialogue, childish parodies and poop jokes are shit.

My main reason. The humor is SO freaking childish...like one episode decided to center around a man's booger.

A booger, REALLY?

Only five-year-olds would find this funny.

Dec 21, 2019 1:10 PM

Mar 2019
Avolion said:
Dieshouri said:

Those aren't actual criticisms they're personal gripes he's trying to pass off as fact. Just to give a few examples, he actually said that anything that isn't a serious arc is filler, says that because a character doesn't develop they're bad, says the comedy is bad without actually listing the main form of comedy lol.

I don't think he meant "anime exclusive" fillers not found in the manga tbh, there is a term adopted among the fandom which is "cannon fillers", basically moments which do not have a huge impact at all on the main plot and serve mainly as padded out moments for various reasons.

Take Naruto for example, the fillerlist site lists only the episodes which really are anime exclusive as fillers, meaning everything from the manga(including those episodes/moments which pads things out), are counted as "cannon". But those moments never serve any especially productive purpose for like 95% of their screentime, so one could basically call them cannon fillers which the show would have been better without. One major example os the war arc which introduces so much bullshit like so many shallow characters, so many unnecessary fights and dragged out moments which completely ruin the show. And this is just WITHOUT fillers.

Also characters not being developed and stay the same all the time get stale and unlikeable by some people, so I don't see why that's not valid criticism, especially if you do not like the comedy(which tbh is rather definition of shounen clichés and childish behaviour).

Uh no he pretty clearly mean all comedy episodes were fillers. The video I posted describes pretty perfectly why thats absolutely not true.

That is true but the statement if a character doesn't develop they are a bad character is very untrue. Gin for example doesn't change that much but we learn about him as the show goes on and we understand more about why he is they way he is. He isn't changing he's had his journey we're watching him trying to protect what he already has.

Also if the comedy was just that I wouldn't really like it. Gintama's comedy is at its strongest with character interaction I was saying that not mentioning that and saying all the comedy is bad is just ignoring the biggest part of the show.
Dec 21, 2019 4:40 PM

Mar 2019
Avolion said:
Dieshouri said:

Uh no he pretty clearly mean all comedy episodes were fillers. The video I posted describes pretty perfectly why thats absolutely not true.

That is true but the statement if a character doesn't develop they are a bad character is very untrue. Gin for example doesn't change that much but we learn about him as the show goes on and we understand more about why he is they way he is. He isn't changing he's had his journey we're watching him trying to protect what he already has.

Also if the comedy was just that I wouldn't really like it. Gintama's comedy is at its strongest with character interaction I was saying that not mentioning that and saying all the comedy is bad is just ignoring the biggest part of the show.

Are you sure? I think he meant most of the comedy eps were fillers in actuality when he generalised them as fillers. He did say "flesh out the characters" after all. Don't take everything everyone says literally.

I can understand the thing about Gin and why someone would relate to him as a character. I don't think people shit on Gintama cause of Gin tbh, people complain more of it's lack of cohesive narrative, repetitive and childish humour and many characters being used for a couple of jokes mostly.

Then here's the thing with Gintama: Is it necessary to have so much content filled with humor? Only a few of the jokes really did make me smirk. Most of them were nothing out of the extraordinary tbh and relied heavily on references and gags. If character interaction if it's greatest strengh according to you then surely that makes most of the comedy rather redundant and unfun? And if that's the case, even if it does make the characters somehow more deeper and charmy the main "plot" itself is rather insufferable in comparsion.

My dude he literally said hence why they're fillers.

Um absolutely? Gintama is a comedy before anything else your experience with it is personal to you comedy to a degree is always subjective. Also past a point Gintama's reference are one off lines or sparse episodes it definitely doesn't rely heavily on it. No clue what you mean by that other part character interaction is the comedy. The thing I posted explained how the plot and comedy are inseparable I'm not invested enough in this to type it out.
Dec 21, 2019 7:37 PM

Mar 2019
Avolion said:
Dieshouri said:

My dude he literally said hence why they're fillers.

Um absolutely? Gintama is a comedy before anything else your experience with it is personal to you comedy to a degree is always subjective. Also past a point Gintama's reference are one off lines or sparse episodes it definitely doesn't rely heavily on it. No clue what you mean by that other part character interaction is the comedy. The thing I posted explained how the plot and comedy are inseparable I'm not invested enough in this to type it out.

Yeah, but there are different interpretations of fillers which I explained earlier.

I mean what I said, "references and gags"(i.e. When the characters aren't doing any special interactions to be fleshed out)

Oh so it does get a bit calmer regarding references? Guess I'll have to watch a bit longer and see where this is headed. Currently at it's first serious arc, hopefully it will make a better impression than the past 50+ eps have. Not going to expect anything though.

Filler means it doesn't matter to the plot padded or not which can't really be applied to a show thats mainly comedy like Gintama. If you watched just for the serious arcs you'd probably be disappointed. Building the characters in comedy or semi serious arcs is just part of the show like it not.

I'm not going to deny that Gintama is a slow burn but the general consensus is that it continues improving the longer it goes on comedy and plot alike.
Dec 22, 2019 1:50 PM

Mar 2019
Avolion said:
Dieshouri said:

Filler means it doesn't matter to the plot padded or not which can't really be applied to a show thats mainly comedy like Gintama. If you watched just for the serious arcs you'd probably be disappointed. Building the characters in comedy or semi serious arcs is just part of the show like it not.

I'm not going to deny that Gintama is a slow burn but the general consensus is that it continues improving the longer it goes on comedy and plot alike.

Yes it can, like I said earlier, the community has adopted terms like cannon filler and as long as the eps make little to no progress at all they may still be deemed as fillers. I bet Gintama tards use that "it's comedy so it's not filler" argument all to often to excuse the shows lacking plot. And just because you over analyse things that doesn't mean something gets deeper, there is always a certain overview for everything and analysing too much can lead to pretentious over thinking where lots of untruthful things get said. I'm not denying that Gintama has any depth, but is it reasonable for 300+ eps? I don't think so.

Also a show doesn't "get better", if the show doesn't change after a certain point in the beginning then it stays the same all the time regardless of how many plot twist, ups and down etc it has. The "get better" argument is one of the most overused and shallow arguments there are.

Watched the first serious arc, wasn't that special tbh. They way things are going, I'll have to agree emraanash. This show really is one of the most overhyped I've seen.

Again not sure if people are just dumb or willfully ignorant. Gintama doesn't have a grand plot and it isn't super deep it doesn't need to be. The comedy IS GINTAMA whether you like it or not. The word filler means wasn't in the manga or padded to the point of not advancing the plot. You can use as many made up words as you want it doesn't really apply here. It really isn't over analyzing just regular analyzing please point out where that has been done in regards to this show.

That's a retarded sentence a piece of media can absolutely keep doing what its been doing and get better at it as time goes on.

Then good for you I guess? I already pointed out how most of those are personal gripes make your own review.
Dec 23, 2019 4:29 PM

Apr 2016
People will always hate on things that are critically acclaimed and well liked. "OMGI IT'S NOT EVEN THAT GOOD" it's funny because it's usually ppl that have SAO in their favs or some isekai anime that shares the same plot line that 100's of anime do.
Dec 24, 2019 12:09 AM

Mar 2019
Avolion said:
Dieshouri said:

Again not sure if people are just dumb or willfully ignorant. Gintama doesn't have a grand plot and it isn't super deep it doesn't need to be. The comedy IS GINTAMA whether you like it or not. The word filler means wasn't in the manga or padded to the point of not advancing the plot. You can use as many made up words as you want it doesn't really apply here. It really isn't over analyzing just regular analyzing please point out where that has been done in regards to this show.

That's a retarded sentence a piece of media can absolutely keep doing what its been doing and get better at it as time goes on.

Then good for you I guess? I already pointed out how most of those are personal gripes make your own review.

I know Gintama is all about the comedy, was just implying there are some people who try to sell it off as something deeper when it's not. In all honesty, I don't see how Gintama deserves colossal ratings only because of it's comedy when it's story is a big mess. Peoples standards scare me sometimes.

Naruto started off as a battle shounen with themes like friendship, nakama power and had various power ups and dragged battles, continued to be so until the end basically with it's writing quality being either consisten or took a nose dive(see war arc). One Piece started off as a pirate adventure about Luffy and his crew sailing through various islands, battling various groups, getting various power ups/hidden plot power, had lots of nakama power, revenge, dreams etc as themes and continues to be like that, never changing really and the writing is the same, was consistent and then overdid itself and crashed(which is what discouraged me from continuing to watch).

Meanwhile old classics like Evangelion managed to keep their themes and characters consistent and well performed from the beginning to the end without being too shallow or overdoing it's writing or being dragged out.

No it's not a retarded sentence, you probably didn't understand what I meant. It may get better within it's own standard, but the content, the way it plays out etc stays the same.

I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. Just because the comedy is the focus or the plot isn't super complicated doesn't mean it can't tell an incredible story. Gintama has high rating for a number of reasons but I can guarantee that the majority of the people who rate it highly will say they did because they love the characters. When you're endeared so much to a group a relatively simple story can hit so much harder and Gintama excels at this. Also not sure how you can call the story a mess when you haven't seen the majority of it lol.

Saying Eva never overdid it is just wrong it definitely dives a little far into pseudo intellectualism but we aren't debating that.

Nope it's still dumb the quality of scenes in general can absolutely improve as time goes on. The objective quality of writing can improve as with an established world and characters an author can use those to add more layers to comedy or seriousness. The content literally improves.
Dec 26, 2019 9:36 AM

Mar 2019
Avolion said:
Dieshouri said:

I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. Just because the comedy is the focus or the plot isn't super complicated doesn't mean it can't tell an incredible story. Gintama has high rating for a number of reasons but I can guarantee that the majority of the people who rate it highly will say they did because they love the characters. When you're endeared so much to a group a relatively simple story can hit so much harder and Gintama excels at this. Also not sure how you can call the story a mess when you haven't seen the majority of it lol.

Saying Eva never overdid it is just wrong it definitely dives a little far into pseudo intellectualism but we aren't debating that.

Nope it's still dumb the quality of scenes in general can absolutely improve as time goes on. The objective quality of writing can improve as with an established world and characters an author can use those to add more layers to comedy or seriousness. The content literally improves.

I think we have different standard on what is great then. And I'm sure the vast majority of people who rated Gintama highly simply did so because it's an easygoing show with simple elements, no complexity, requires no thinking etc, they do not want to be critical towards it because they feel too attached to it, and that's the problem with many popular, long going shows, they generate irrational fanbases which praise something like it's holy, never caring about the flaws. Take One Piece for example, how can you call it good from a story perspective when it basically repeats itself and has overstayed it's welcome long ago? Does a story actually need 900+ eps to function properly.

Again, I'm saying what the STORY itself manages to achieve, not what COULD be considered great in a biased form of view. What something manages to achieve with it's narrative in general is different from actually enjoying the content.

Wrong, the objective quality doesn't improve if you are overdoing your story, some parts may be better than others like Skypea arc, Impel Down arc from One Piece but once you overuse your tropes and recycle the same story over and over again with just some slight changes, it becomes obvious the show has grown many gray hairs and lost its edge. That's why many shorter anime are actually better story wise than the long running ones. They know how to keep their content more moderate and have quality instead of quantity which drags out and waters itself down. Not every short is ofc better but I know quite a lot which are.

Again, you failed to understand what I meant. The story from an overview perspective ≠ The story from a continuous perspective. Once it's done it's done. You cannot mend some flaws which have taken place in the past and attempt to write them off, it simply doesn't work like that. Storytelling is a VERY delicate thing, not something to be misused in favor of some tricks and tweets.

Eva never streched it's story and thus never suffered from superfluous content(which was the point of my argument), it simply requires you to understand its themes and messages properly for it to appeal to you. I can guarantee it has some of the best stories there is.

If pretentious works aren't your thing then I can suggest shows like Cowboy Bebop, Monster, Ping Pong etc, they know how to manage reasonable storytelling for their given length and all of them are well executed.

I mean you literally pulled that out of your ass if that was the case then any random long running shounen would be rated as highly as Gintama. None of them require heavy analysis. You seem to assuming a lot about the show without even having watched it lol.

And I'm saying that too? What Gintama manages to do while balancing a serious and comedic story is amazing from a narrative perspective.

Not sure why you keep bringing up One Piece it has nothing to do with what we're talking about. Length doesn't objectively make a show better or worse I provided a reason why length can increase objective quality but it all depends on what the author does with it. One Piece does it poorly and Gintama does it well until maybe the first half of the final arc.

This is literally nonsense what does that even mean. What flaws? I never said Gintama getting better means the mediocre part is erased? Hell the part that seems mediocre is important for setting up whats to come it takes a hit to its quality to do that. Everything feeds into the next part story or comedy.

Yes Eva is great it has nothing to do with this.
Dec 26, 2019 10:13 AM

Dec 2018
i understand the hate on gintama, havent even watched it yet but, why is thsi thread so buthurt. There's much more fans than haters
Dec 27, 2019 11:07 PM

Mar 2019
Avolion said:
Dieshouri said:

I mean you literally pulled that out of your ass if that was the case then any random long running shounen would be rated as highly as Gintama. None of them require heavy analysis. You seem to assuming a lot about the show without even having watched it lol.

And I'm saying that too? What Gintama manages to do while balancing a serious and comedic story is amazing from a narrative perspective.

Not sure why you keep bringing up One Piece it has nothing to do with what we're talking about. Length doesn't objectively make a show better or worse I provided a reason why length can increase objective quality but it all depends on what the author does with it. One Piece does it poorly and Gintama does it well until maybe the first half of the final arc.

This is literally nonsense what does that even mean. What flaws? I never said Gintama getting better means the mediocre part is erased? Hell the part that seems mediocre is important for setting up whats to come it takes a hit to its quality to do that. Everything feeds into the next part story or comedy.

Yes Eva is great it has nothing to do with this.

Never said I wouldn't watch it, naturally I will eventually watch and complete all of it. The thing is, at my level, who has watched tons of shounen and other kind of shows can see a certain pattern, and that pattern stays pretty clear and with the help of just a bit of cynicism and guesswork I can pretty much see where this is going with Gintama, especially since some critical people are bold enough to say how it is, and no I'm not just talking about the guy you quoted, I'm talking about those who dared to post negative reviews of the show which bringed up valid points about the shows flaws.

Also popularity ≠ quality, the only reason Gintama is rated so highly on this site is because of hype and people having low standards. Generally speaking the scores on MAL mean dogshit and are completely unreliable as a measurement of quality of the shows.

Take shows like Simpsons and Family Guy, they had their golden days early on but later declined in quality as a result of drying out on what they could do, the jokes and satire simply thinned out with time and such is the fate of every show which wages on too long and losing its edge, comedy is no exception.

I think you should look things up and analyse things a bit more in order to understand what I actually meant with my storytelling arguments because as it seems to me right now, you don't quite have the brightest picture of what I meant.

Something can have a certain mixed quality during it's lenght and have their valleys and peaks, but in the end it always follows a certain pattern. It's more of a question of how fresh something is and when it enters banality, consistency matters also.

Also erased? Wtf, what kind of thought did you have there out of curiosity?

What popularity? Gintama has low amounts of members compared to tons of shows on the top of MAL especially for such a long running show. Also at your level? Dude get off your high horse plenty of people have watched as much anime or shounen as you have including me lol. Patterns don't define the quality of a show I can predict how almost all shows I watch at this point can go but that doesn't make them worse as long as they're well executed.

I can say the same of literally any show lol.

I understand things like that fine you're just bad at explaining it. I think what you're trying to say is that judging a story as its airing vs as a completed work is different but that has nothing to with what I said.

Again what pattern use examples. As previously stated something can continue to do it's usual shtick while improving it constantly.

"Once it's done it's done. You cannot mend some flaws which have taken place in the past and attempt to write them off, it simply doesn't work like that."

That I literally never said anything like that. A story getting better doesn't excuse the poorer part of it.

Jan 8, 2020 10:03 AM

Mar 2019
Avolion said:
Dieshouri said:

What popularity? Gintama has low amounts of members compared to tons of shows on the top of MAL especially for such a long running show. Also at your level? Dude get off your high horse plenty of people have watched as much anime or shounen as you have including me lol. Patterns don't define the quality of a show I can predict how almost all shows I watch at this point can go but that doesn't make them worse as long as they're well executed.

I can say the same of literally any show lol.

I understand things like that fine you're just bad at explaining it. I think what you're trying to say is that judging a story as its airing vs as a completed work is different but that has nothing to with what I said.

Again what pattern use examples. As previously stated something can continue to do it's usual shtick while improving it constantly.

"Once it's done it's done. You cannot mend some flaws which have taken place in the past and attempt to write them off, it simply doesn't work like that."

That I literally never said anything like that. A story getting better doesn't excuse the poorer part of it.

It's not the most popular sure but it has enough of a fanbase and fans who overhype it which the high score makes evident. And again, MAL doesn't mean too much, this site is a rather poor source of information regarding the exact popularity for each and every show. Some shows like Doraemon and Doremi had a popularity only in Japan while being rather niche in the west. MAL is a site dominated by western users. Meaning there is a huge chance Gintama is much more popular in Japan considering it's very "Japanese" way of being with all of the references being about other anime/manga and Japanese pop culture. Clearly meant for a Japanese public.

Am I bad at explaining it or are you bad at understanding it? Let's think like this: Using Hunter X Hunter as an example. The biggest issue with HxH is it's rather unfocused story. Meaning the plot basically shape-shifts into different stories each arc, not that the stories themselves are terrible or anything but from an overview perspective, HxH simply doesn't know what it wants to tell in the end. Yes, the main plot is Gon wanting to find his father Ging, but along the way lots of things occur with little actual relation to each other story wise, the story being about a noir style conflict in Yorkshin doesn't play out well later in Chimera Ant when it's suddenly about an apocalyptic scale conflict with different cast. So in short: It does improve in quality in it's own standard like it did for the two arcs I mentioned. But it doesn't improve from being an unfocused story overall with it's main plot(Gon finding his father) being rather thin compared to the rest of the events occurring. Now I'm not saying HxH is a bad show or anything, it's good for a battle shounen overall, but it has glaring issues when it comes to conveying a coherent narrative. Ofc it wasn't meant to be the most ambitious thing ever and I still enjoyed it for what it was, but that doesn't really excuse it's flaws.

Now let's take another long running(but significantly shorter) one: Monster. That show builds it's premise, characters and plot consistently all the way through without losing focus on what it actually wanted to tell from the beginning. How everyone has a darker side in their psyche, how anyone can be anything mentally if they program themselves to it and follows the story of Tenma tracking down and finding things out about Johan. It STAYS focused all the way through it's 74 eps run, even if it takes small detours it does so to develop the themes and such and doesn't distract the main plot too much.

Now I'm not saying deeper stories is EVERYONE'S cup of tea or anything(that would be ridiculous), but some critical fellas like me prefer to tackle things a bit harsher. I wasn't on a high horse, just being honest, it's only natural to develop critical senses when you have enough experience.

Naturally it's perfectly fine if everyone isn't as critical as me, I understand well that every soul doesn't want to go the same length or even be that much of a critic to begin with. But hey, what's wrong with acting as a voice of reason and bringing some sensible thought to the situation every now and then? I respect your affection towards Gintama and why you like it with it's type of humour and charm but I hope you understand why me and others(including the guy you called stupid) dislike the show for obvious reasons. Comedy is a rather subjective thing and it's even harder to like it when someone prefers actual engaging, deeper storytelling. Sure, haven't watched all of it yet but I HIGHLY doubt I would change my mind about it knowing myself.

Sorry for late reply lol, was busy with other things.

Yeah but there aren't exactly a lot of Japanese people hyping up Gintama to english speakers lol. MAL also isn't the only place with a similar opinion . But again this argument literally means nothing the same can be said of every high rated show ever.

But the way the HunterxHunter tells its story in an unfocused way is not an objective criticism. Hence my problems with that other guys criticisms. Gon may be the main character but the story isn't all about him. Different events and circumstance take the characters to radically different situations but the main plot provides a through line and a reason for them to be there. Gon wants to find his Dad leads him to the hunter exam which leads him to Killua which leads him to wanting Greed Island which brings them to yorknew which gets them Greed Island which sends them to the Chimera Ant arc. It could even be argued that the unfocused nature of the show helps to accentuate the random paths life takes you on also allowing for a varied settings and various themes to be explored. An unfocused story isn't an objective criticism if the story uses it effectively and Gintama does the to a similar effect explained in that video.

Monster on the hand sets out to tell a story with a message from the very beginning and is meticulous in exploring its themes and characters but suffers from an excruciatingly slow pace at times. But that can help increase the tension so in this case it can be viewed as a positive by some people just not by me.

One style isn't objectively better its all about personal preference.

"I like to be critical" isn't an argument if your arguments don't hold up. Obviously there is no one work everyone is going to like and especially dealing with comedy. All I said was be objective in criticizing and don't personal bias come into play when criticizing a story. There are plenty of objective criticisms of Gintama I could bring up but neither you or that other guy have presented them. Being a voice of reason is different from being a critic.
Jan 8, 2020 10:41 AM

Feb 2019
People simply get butthurt because gintama is rated higher than their favorite anime. All those 1/10s that gintama 2015 got kinda confirm it.
Jan 8, 2020 10:46 AM

Feb 2019
emraanash said:

Overall (1/10):
Lmao at least have some valid criticisms instead of some personal bias put into it after watching 2 or 3 episodes. It's basically a way of saying gintama not funny and for children because I watched one episode and didn't find it funny. I don't see 12 y.o. making fun of obama's campaign speech or roasting the hell out of a corrupt politician.
Jan 8, 2020 8:31 PM
Jan 2016
cythraul said:
People simply get butthurt because gintama is rated higher than their favorite anime. All those 1/10s that gintama 2015 got kinda confirm it.

Tbh, I think Gintama is alright, but I don't think it deserves top 10. If Gintama was all serious story arcs, then maybe, but the vast majority of the show is just the same goofy toilet humor repeated for 300 episodes. Don't get me wrong, there are hysterical parts, but the vast majority of it feels repetitive where every character is just constantly repeating their same stapstick reactions and acting on their assigned personality quirks. And the vast majority of the jokes have something to do with toilet humor. Like you can literally wait for and expect there to be at least one dick or butthole joke per episode.......

And tbh all that is not really bad. There are a lot of repetitive comedy shows that I really enjoy, but the issue with Gintama is that while those other shows have 12 or 24 episodes, Gintama has almost 400 now, so the humor gets very, VERY stale.
Jan 8, 2020 9:32 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Who decided to revive this stupid thread? Let it rest ffs.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 156 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

llamaben - May 7, 2009

117 by RKASHYAP621 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Gintama Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Zerachroma - Jun 23, 2008

194 by Seraschi »»
Yesterday, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

almozayaf - Jul 28, 2009

95 by SPG_Anima »»
Apr 21, 3:56 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Znote - Oct 3, 2009

107 by DaveyUwU »»
Apr 20, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 113 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

113 by DigiCat »»
Apr 16, 2:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.