Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2008 6:20 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Very strange ending, was the purpose of this one only to promote the game?
Jun 22, 2008 11:00 AM

Nov 2007
DarkBlue said:

Very late reply is late.

The Day of Sigma is a prequel to the story told in Irregular Hunter X. It tells the story of what happens just before the Opening Stage of the game. It is unlocked upon clearing the game once with X.

Jul 4, 2008 8:44 AM

Jun 2007
Strange? How about canon?
Jul 30, 2008 5:43 PM
Jul 2007
Is someone subbed this OVA?
Sep 30, 2008 6:59 AM

Aug 2008
I always liked it game, could make a good series.
Dec 28, 2008 10:48 PM

Nov 2007
Retsu-kun said:

Yes it's canon.

pretty much, this takes place after the Maverick Hunters found Zero and well after Zero is more or less stabilized (yeah, that Sigma vs Zero clip from X4). Moving onto this OVA, then MMX1~
Jan 19, 2009 6:00 AM

Jun 2008
Where 2 download it :P ??? any body help PLZ :D
Jan 26, 2009 9:54 PM

Nov 2007
Rockman Perfect Memories ;)
Jan 27, 2009 10:36 PM

Oct 2007
I just watched it.

Being an avid Mega Man fan, I must say that

that was AWESOME.

That is all.
You can find me on IRC.
Feb 20, 2010 12:16 PM

Oct 2007
Cello said:

Yup i think so too .]

I Love the Games, the Style of the Animation, the Story, everything :D
I would love to see a Series which tells all X-Parts ^_^
Feb 21, 2010 3:36 PM

May 2009
Just finished it. I thought it was pretty well done. It really reminded me of the fight between Zero and Sigma in X4, bad English voice acting and all. It was still great seeing a bunch of X characters in action.
May 26, 2010 5:00 PM

Dec 2007
Watched it two weeks ago. Ugh. WTF. What if I don't want to play the game? My ending is Sigma laughing maniacally at a ruined city? Uncool.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Aug 3, 2010 11:43 PM
May 2010
Pretty darn good, especially since X1 is my favorite in the whole series. Sigma was good.

Why does Dr. Cain die though? He's alive in X2 and Xtreme.
Aug 7, 2010 1:22 PM

Sep 2009
That just....sucked.

Instead of Sigma being badass he is....generic villain with a generic laugh?
Sep 12, 2010 12:07 PM

Aug 2010
I liked it, but yeah, hated the ending. That move that X used at the end felt...borrowed from a certain mecha series.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Sep 24, 2010 8:00 AM

Sep 2007
Great background on one of the best video game series. I really do wish there was an actual series now.
Sep 26, 2010 2:19 PM

Jan 2008
Crono_Maniac said:
Why does Dr. Cain die though? He's alive in X2 and Xtreme.

That makes me wonder as well.
Sep 26, 2011 3:25 PM
Sep 2011
DragooNick said:
Cello said:

Yup i think so too .]

I Love the Games, the Style of the Animation, the Story, everything :D
I would love to see a Series which tells all X-Parts ^_^

Capcom should make remakes of all the original X series (X2, X3, X4 for sure). X5 and X6 are optional; X7 and X8 are self-explanatory.
Mar 14, 2013 1:04 AM
Mar 2013
anony said:

No not canon at all, the fact that they killed Dr.Cain makes it un-canon as he's alive in X2 and this movie was set before the first game started as such it can't be canon unless you directly change the raw games story line.
Jun 23, 2013 3:56 PM

Nov 2009
That was a pretty fun watch, reminded me of when I played the X series years ago and they were pretty awesome.
Aug 29, 2013 5:08 PM

Jun 2010
Surprisingly good at being serious considering that it's based on a Mega Man game. There's even some interesting sequences like in the flashback when X sees Dr. Light, falls back "asleep", then awakes again to see him much older.
FronzelAug 29, 2013 5:11 PM
Jul 6, 2014 2:55 AM

Nov 2011
Adon_Lucian said:
anony said:

No not canon at all, the fact that they killed Dr.Cain makes it un-canon as he's alive in X2 and this movie was set before the first game started as such it can't be canon unless you directly change the raw games story line.

Well, it would have been canon. Inafune was remaking the series and fleshing out the story better. Since the sequels were cancelled due to Maverick Hunter X not selling enough, it's only a "what could have been" now.

Also, guys, this OVA isn't meant to be watched standalone. It's a post-game bonus.
Jun 26, 2015 11:31 AM

Aug 2009
After watching this OVA, I wish there was an anime series for Megaman X's storyline (at least from X1 to X5 haha) :(
Aug 22, 2016 6:56 PM

Nov 2011
@Yayachibi Again, this isn't canon for the original storyline. Maverick Hunter X was a reboot of the series meant to flesh out the story and modernize the graphics and such. Unfortunately, since the sequels were cancelled this OVA has no real bearing on the X series in terms of Dr. Cain dying or Sigma getting those scars the way he did.
May 7, 2018 9:43 PM

Jul 2017
I didn't expect much from this, got a little excited when I saw it had a good rating on here (7.34 right now or so), but I was ultimately disappointed. The English cast was pretty bad, so maybe it would have been a lot better in Japanese. Anyway, X seemed really wimpy; it annoyed me actually. I understand not shooting the big spider robot in the beginning, though I think he should have shot a different part of it or something. I really don't understand why he didn't shoot Sigma's hand or leg or especially when he put his weapon down after Sigma had committed to destroying the city. It's like, he literally did just let Sigma get away with it. What a pathetic coward. You can't be a hero by just doing nothing to stop evil. “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Y'know?

That said, I did really, really like the scenes with Doctor Light. The scenes with Doctor Cain were good too. I really liked Cain's wall of robot toys. The animation was good and resembled the games with their bright colors. I liked seeing the bosses like Chill Penguin and Storm Eagle before they went Maverick. The sound was okay; that alarm was some classic sound effect that was also in Goldeneye haha. The end seemed rushed, and I don't really understand how those scars appeared with that grab move. I always figured those marks were a design similar to a clown or kabuki. I guess not.

In short, it was alright but disappointing.
Feb 24, 2021 6:46 PM

Feb 2015
DarkBlue said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Yeah. Consider that this OVA is only included inside the PSP as an unlockable extra and in the new Mega Man X Legacy Collections.

It's not really designed as something a non-game fan can pick up and watch on it's own.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Apr 23, 2022 6:21 AM

Jan 2021
Maverick Hunter X is literally the closest we get for a Megaman X anime. I cried at the end of the OVA few months ago and I damn you not, the videogame itself was a step up to rewritting the X series to give more depth to the protagonist’s and the antagonist’s motives and literally everything else. It’s a shame the game wasn’t sold well, but this will be remembered as a loved OVA.

I’ve gotten myself written a ton of reviews, insights and what more about X. When I’m seriously into a character, I see them beyond than just their role and what the media shows. X is a wimp, which is what many see. But as he progresses, he reflects and puts those thoughts to strength. He is more than just a wimp, he’s a hero who struggled to an extent to become who he is now. He’s more than just a super fighting robot, but one with a human heart. The OVA, though not too recognizable, did a effort to flesh out Sigma’s motives as well. It’s natural to know that it was still the beginning of the rewrite, so things started small. But for a game like this, it’s already well written.

My favorite part was the ending honestly. I’m a sucker for sad stuff and seeing Dr. Light’s last moments with X flash into the Blue Bomber’s eyes, no cap tears were uncontrollably flowing my eyes for a short moment + the scene where Sigma stabbed X and left him and his friend to begin his villainous deeds + when Zero found X standing lifeless and his scream echoed at the end. Not to forget the final cutscene at the end of the game where Dr. Cain discovers Dr. Light’s lab and learns more about X. I fucking cried there as well. 11/10
Dawnie_AJApr 23, 2022 6:32 AM
Anime fan and enjoyer since 2017, but still searching for more well written and unpredictable anime cuz bruh I’ve been stuck in the shounen genre for a long time and I wanna explore more poopoo caca

Feb 17, 2023 1:15 PM
Mar 2016
Contradicts some later details of the series but they were planning on remaking the entire X1-6 saga anyways so...

More topics from this board

» why x so powerfull and zero so fearsome.

salvationhope - Jun 15, 2013

0 by salvationhope »»
Jun 15, 2013 8:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.