Forum Settings
Forums

Do most anime fans hate their own pop culture?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 16, 2015 11:01 PM

Jan 2015
Khaosman said:
Deus-Vult said:

I even see people comparing their own pop culture like Doctor Who, Top Gear, etc. to Japanese ones like Animu, J Dramas (lol), dank game shows, and some weird stuff and making it look moar superior than western media :/

Da fuck? Top Gear? Really? It's a car show, a factual TV show. How can you compare a show like that to anime or whatever stuff the Japanese like to do? Are people really that hard up to defend their anime obsession or what?
I saw a Top Gear and Initial D comparison once
They tend to make Initial D moar superior than Top Gear
I loled
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 16, 2015 11:27 PM

Apr 2012
There are things about American popular culture that i hate and love, but could be said about the other cultures I immerse myself in.

Jul 16, 2015 11:47 PM

Jun 2012
Nah. South Park > most anime.
Jul 17, 2015 12:19 AM
Dec 2013
The only thing I like about English pop culture are the rock bands/music from the 60s and 70s: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Black Sabbath, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, and their songs which I listen to all the time.
Jul 17, 2015 12:28 AM
Jun 2015
I like American pop culture, just from the 80's.
Jul 17, 2015 12:38 AM

Sep 2012
No. I actually really like our pop culture today.
Jul 17, 2015 1:02 AM

Jul 2014
I'm more oblivious than hateful.
Jul 17, 2015 1:28 AM

Apr 2015

Gotta love your pop culture no jk
Jul 17, 2015 2:27 AM

Nov 2014
Pop culture is a really vague term. It's hard to hate something that isn't even specific in the first place.

The "pop" culture in my country isn't exactly very... well...
Let's just say there's very few things even made (cause small country and all). So while there is some stuff worth watching once in a while, most people here at least watch Korean Dramas, Hong Kong Dramas, Hollywood movies or something besides local dramas/movies

Personally I did use to watch quite a number of local dramas in the past, but stopped for the most part before my teens. Used to listen to some locally produced music, but as with any music, I don't follow any singers but simply listen to specific songs I like. Till now, don't recognise many of the local celebrities.

Then there's the mainstream pop culture, Hollywood movies, American TV shows. Never really did get to know any. Sure I did watch a few movies with friends ocassionally, but nothing much. Usually I get pretty shocked reactions when people ask me about like Avengers or something, then I tell then I've not watched it. Never heard much music too, so I don't know any singers or rappers or whatever. Not that I haven't heard them at all, cause usually I'll have heard them at like the supermarket or something, but I just don't give a crap remembering the name of the song of singer. Yeah I get told I live under a rock pretty often.

On the other hand, I'm usually the one that excitedly passes on anime airing schedules and news to friends that watch anime. I have nothing against "pop" culture from anywhere, I'm pretty open to the idea of watching a local/hollywood movie or listening to pop music from anywhere. It's just I'm not bothered to actively expose myself to anything other than the new season of anime.
BurningSpiritJul 17, 2015 2:30 AM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jul 17, 2015 7:47 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I certainly don't hate my own pop culture. But I did find somethings lacking. One of the big things was American TV shows almost never had any (or very little) continuity. I read (and still do) American comics, which have a lot of continuity but they almost never come to a final resolution.

So, what I really liked about anime that it did have a beginning, middle, and end.

Now, this was back in the 90s so things have changed a lot. Today, a lot more American TV shows have actually continuity and a lot of anime doesn't come to a full resolution. but I still enjoy both.
Jul 17, 2015 9:46 AM

May 2015
Brand said:
I certainly don't hate my own pop culture. But I did find somethings lacking. One of the big things was American TV shows almost never had any (or very little) continuity. I read (and still do) American comics, which have a lot of continuity but they almost never come to a final resolution.

So, what I really liked about anime that it did have a beginning, middle, and end.

Now, this was back in the 90s so things have changed a lot. Today, a lot more American TV shows have actually continuity and a lot of anime doesn't come to a full resolution. but I still enjoy both.

That's one problem I have with TV shows, and prefer anthologies are Twilight Zone. A conclusion is very important to me. I don't want it to just keep on forever. I want to see the creators make a nice conclusion that sum up the ideas.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 17, 2015 12:13 PM

Jun 2011
This is an interesting question. Let's see. No, I won't say I 'hate' the pop culture of my country (India) altogether. There're simply certain components and aspects of it that I don't like or identify with, and they more often than not happen to outweigh those that I actually like or identify with. To take the instance of one of the components of Indian cinema, it can be argued that the Bollywood industry, like the anime industry, produces the same cookie-cutter titles every year because these are what the masses demand and are ready to squander their money on. However, on the brighter side, the industry also produces certain 'quality' titles. You know, the ones that break the mould and bring something worthwhile to the table. Examples? Taare Zameen Par, Oh My God!, Haider and Piku off the top my head. These are like a breath of fresh air amidst the myriads of hackneyed, mindless movies that the industry churns out. So yeah, with titles like these around, I'd be lying if I say I 'hate' the 'entirety' of Bollywood. The bottom line is, our pop culture has some 'good' things and some 'bad' things. It's saddening that the 'bad' often overrides the 'good', but that doesn't change the fact that the 'good' is out there, waiting to be discovered and indulged in. Note that the 'good' and the 'bad' I'm alluding to is subjective, which is why they're in quotes. So yeah, I won't say I'm particularly enthusiastic about our pop culture, but I don't lack interest in it altogether. I mean, I'm totally up for anything that piques my interest, but such things come along rather sporadically. And yeah, it's kind of inevitable for someone who is not much absorbed in one's domestic pop culture to feel a bit out of sync around its voracious consumers, since pop culture happens to be one of the recurrent topics in everyday conversations. But as long as you know how to steer the conversations towards a topic both you and the person on the other side is capable of contributing to, you're good to go. Though at times it's probably best to take a backseat and let people have their jolly time discussing things they want to their heart's content. Okay, I'm digressing so I'll stop here.
_RikaJul 18, 2015 3:06 AM
Jul 17, 2015 1:59 PM
Jul 2015
Aria-da-Capo said:
I'm more oblivious than hateful.
Jul 17, 2015 2:17 PM
Jan 2014
Deus-Vult said:
I get this random thoughts while I was eating Macaroni salad while watching a Noontime Television program. I always see anime fans that hate their own pop culture on Facebook, Youtube, heck even on MAL. Anime is a part of Japanese pop culture and of course, anime fans really like it. But, can this be also the reason why people tend to distance from their own pop culture resulting to introversion in their own society? Yes or no? and why?

I tend to think that most anime is seen by most viewers as a form of escapism. We escape by watching anime. We escape by playing games (both local and online). We escape by doing anything other than productive effort.

That being true, then one has to ask the question; "... escape from what? ..."

If we are trying to escape our lot in Life, then our lives are framed by the culture we live in. If we believe our culture is less than optimal, then anime would and could provide a real diversion from those issues in our own lives that seem less attractive.

Hence; sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. My generation tried to disappear altogether in the 60's and 70's. They didn't have anime and computers to escape into. And eventually, they were forced to get back into the real-world, get jobs, to pay for wives and children; and get on with their lives.

The jury is still out on the present teenage generation. They haven't decided that pseudo-life is less than real-life. And the decision will come sooner or later. If they are too late, their existence itself will be a serious threat to their entire generation.

And time is running out.
Jul 17, 2015 3:21 PM

May 2012
Flevalt said:
Pop Culture...?

I don't get the question or what the topic is about.
Are you talking about music, culture or what exactly?

Pop culture means exactly what it's name says, the popular things in your culture. So basically whatever people in your country make popular, whatever is mainstream.

Now for the OP, I can't really say I hate my own pop culture. I actually tend to like it. I tend to watch, read, and listen to a variety of things. Not only in my own pop culture, but in pop culture from multiple countries.
KamiCityJul 17, 2015 3:29 PM
Jul 17, 2015 4:18 PM

Jul 2008
Do I hate it? I might if there was any, but out of the uncountable remakes of "Cinderella" (that are all mexican telenovelas) and the eternal retransmision of "El Chavo del Ocho" (now in cartoon version), there's no real pop culture, culture probably, pop-culture no.

In TV there are just four things: telenovelas, talk shows, something that resembles news and whatever the only two huge TV companies can buy at USA or Japan (and with Japan I meant basically Toei Animation). However there are two small TV companies that actually produce something, though it's a shame they, for "some reason", never aired those with a better schedule (midnight it's to late when you need to stand up too early...)

About music, it got stuck at my parent's decade. Though that sells pretty well outside the big cities. And for those at the big cities, there's always brand new music from the States...

About comic... There's non. So far in my life I had only seen one comic book surpacing the 10th numbers... I think it actually passed the 100th. Out of that, Marvel, DC and Dark Horse (and probably others american products) and thanks to a new company there's some mangas being released in spanish.

About books... With less than 3 books read per year, I can't say those count as part of the pop-culture. And the few I have seen on the malls' bookstores shelves have nothing of "pop" on them... Probably at a more formal Bookstore, but... who knows?

About anything else... I think I already established the point.

In conclusion: I can't hate what doesn't exist.

In a side note, why don't I like american superheroes? I got bored of the all those remakes... can't anyone create new characters for the same cliches? And keep them in their own universe instead of forcing them into one single universe without logical motives?
My candies:
Jul 17, 2015 4:29 PM

May 2012
NoHeart said:
Do I hate it? I might if there was any, but out of the uncountable remakes of "Cinderella" (that are all mexican telenovelas) and the eternal retransmision of "El Chavo del Ocho" (now in cartoon version), there's no real pop culture, culture probably, pop-culture no.

In TV there are just four things: telenovelas, talk shows, something that resembles news and whatever the only two huge TV companies can buy at USA or Japan (and with Japan I meant basically Toei Animation). However there are two small TV companies that actually produce something, though it's a shame they, for "some reason", never aired those with a better schedule (midnight it's to late when you need to stand up too early...)

About music, it got stuck at my parent's decade. Though that sells pretty well outside the big cities. And for those at the big cities, there's always brand new music from the States...

About comic... There's non. So far in my life I had only seen one comic book surpacing the 10th numbers... I think it actually passed the 100th. Out of that, Marvel, DC and Dark Horse (and probably others american products) and thanks to a new company there's some mangas being released in spanish.

About books... With less than 3 books read per year, I can't say those count as part of the pop-culture. And the few I have seen on the malls' bookstores shelves have nothing of "pop" on them... Probably at a more formal Bookstore, but... who knows?

About anything else... I think I already established the point.

In conclusion: I can't hate what doesn't exist.

In a side note, why don't I like american superheroes? I got bored of the all those remakes... can't anyone create new characters for the same cliches? And keep them in their own universe instead of forcing them into one single universe without logical motives?

All pop means is popular, that means its impossible for there not to be pop culture in your country.

From what you were saying, you sound like you're from mexico. Since "El Chavo del Ocho" and telenovelas are both big parts of mexican pop culture. Not only that when it comes to music there have been huge pop groups that were part of it, RBD a few years back comes to mind. Right now Gerardo Ortiz, Luis Coronlel, Recodo and recoditos, banda MS ect are a big part of their pop culture. Although they don't play pop music, they do have the eyes of the public right now.
I don't know much about books because I don't know what books are popular in mexico right now, I haven't been there in years but i'm sure there are some best sellers out there also... that's pop culture.
Jul 17, 2015 5:32 PM

Mar 2013
Don't hate it, just no interest.
Jul 17, 2015 11:40 PM

Jun 2015
Can't help but to think of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mQScjlXbBE
"I love a woman who can kick my ass." -Spike Spiegel
Jul 18, 2015 3:28 AM

May 2015
KD7BWB said:
Deus-Vult said:
I get this random thoughts while I was eating Macaroni salad while watching a Noontime Television program. I always see anime fans that hate their own pop culture on Facebook, Youtube, heck even on MAL. Anime is a part of Japanese pop culture and of course, anime fans really like it. But, can this be also the reason why people tend to distance from their own pop culture resulting to introversion in their own society? Yes or no? and why?

I tend to think that most anime is seen by most viewers as a form of escapism. We escape by watching anime. We escape by playing games (both local and online). We escape by doing anything other than productive effort.

That being true, then one has to ask the question; "... escape from what? ..."

If we are trying to escape our lot in Life, then our lives are framed by the culture we live in. If we believe our culture is less than optimal, then anime would and could provide a real diversion from those issues in our own lives that seem less attractive.

Hence; sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. My generation tried to disappear altogether in the 60's and 70's. They didn't have anime and computers to escape into. And eventually, they were forced to get back into the real-world, get jobs, to pay for wives and children; and get on with their lives.

The jury is still out on the present teenage generation. They haven't decided that pseudo-life is less than real-life. And the decision will come sooner or later. If they are too late, their existence itself will be a serious threat to their entire generation.

And time is running out.

If you use anime to escape, then you're not into anime so much as you're into escapsim. Anime doesn't have to be escapism. It can show us many different ways of looking at things.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 18, 2015 12:54 PM

Jul 2015
I guess that's like saying that a big Star Trek fan hates Trekkies, I mean Trekkers. I can watch Star Trek without becoming a Trekker, I can watch anime without worrying about the anime subculture. There was this Big Bang Theory were Leonard went to same geek convention and commented on a fat guy dressed up like Sailor Moon. A lot of anime fans are like that too!
Jul 18, 2015 1:20 PM

Nov 2008
I watch anime but I don't hate the culture but just the business practices of distribution and worker pay for animators. The only time I actually attack fans is the idol industry, but when you have some fans that will kill, maim, and humiliate because an idol pursued happiness, there's no reason the industry shouldn't be called out over the deranged parts of the fanbase, then you have the standard complaints about the business practices of the industry which is where I complain the most because of how unethical and illegal it can be and it's hardly talked about in mainstream media and when they do, they give no reasonable solutions for reform or call out the illegal practices, it's just pure complaining.

Jul 18, 2015 6:43 PM

Jan 2015
a-rootin-tootin said:
Can't help but to think of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mQScjlXbBE
I think this was the fanbase in the early 2000 I presume
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 18, 2015 11:52 PM
Jul 2018
I'm from Hungary, and I don't like hungarian music and tv-shows or movies. Because they are irritating and boring. I hate hungarian celebrities too, because they are stupid and irritating as well. Yes, I hate most of my pop culture but I have a reason. Animes are much better and I like them more.
Jul 19, 2015 12:44 PM

Jul 2014
There are some parts of American pop culture I hate, but I'm mostly just not interested in it, to be honest. I used to watch cartoons and sitcoms on TV when I was younger but I cut TV out of my life a few years ago when I stopped being able to find anything all that interesting. I just stream anime nowadays since that's what I find the most interesting. I used to read books a lot too, but I eventually had trouble finding anything all that good after a while. I'd really like to read some LGBT YA novels but they're hard to get my hands on so -shrug-

I've never really liked American music though. There were a few songs I enjoyed back when I was younger but that's mostly it. I mainly prefer instrumental OSTs and Japanese songs; I just like them better. And then there's movies, which, asides from a handful of 'em, have just never really interested me. I like the disney movies and the other animated ones I grew up with as a kid, but other than that, I just don't see anything all that original or creative nowadays. Or to my tastes in general.

I do like videogames though! The videogames here are great, though I also enjoy JRPGs too -shrug-

So, for the most part, I'm not too invested in the pop culture here. I wouldn't say it's awful or anything; it's just not very interesting to me personally.
King_KiashiJul 19, 2015 9:30 PM
Jul 19, 2015 5:14 PM

Jun 2015
I think most pop cultures around the world are very similar. The music may be in a different language, but the style of music is pretty much the same, and they usually dress the same too.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» mal/Confessions

NoelleIsSleepy - 46 minutes ago

7 by FanofAction »»
1 minute ago

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - Yesterday

65 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you care about gambling anime?

Cammell - May 8

23 by IKKIsama »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Is the term “weeb” offensive?

kusairo - 8 hours ago

26 by Lhundrup »»
7 minutes ago

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 )

tappioca - 9 hours ago

63 by ZakuF_ »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.