Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 10, 2015 11:37 AM

Oct 2011
katsucats said:
Olwen said:

That's not the analogy lol. Imagine John Wayne Gacy calling out a much lesser serial killer on being a serial killer. That's how asinine Claire is.
That's called ad hominem. What does John Wayne Gacy being a serial killer have to do with the existence of other serial killers?

It has nothing to do with the existence of serial killers.. you don't understand the argument at all. What I'm saying, basically, is that Claire is a hypocrite.

Hypocrite by definition = pretending to have moral values that you don't have.

For any bad property X, it is hypocritical for a person who is the most X to call out (insult, w/e) a person who is lesser X. Suppose someone is the world's biggest nose picker in the world (he has a mountain of mucus in his garden). It's hypocritical for him to insult someone for also picking their nose to a much lesser degree.

A logical argument goes as follows:

1) A person who is a hypocrite is a person who pretends to have moral values that they don't have.
2) Claire pretends to have moral values (by insulting others for being obsessive) that he does not have.
===
3) Claire is a hypocrite. (follows from 1 and 2)

The argument does not commit the ad hominem fallacy. An ad hominem fallacy is a fallacy as follows: (here is an example argument) katsucats is an idiot, therefore katsucats is wrong about gay marriage. That's not a good argument: katsucats may still have a valid opinion about gay marriage even if he's an idiot. Idiots can be right about things too.

I am not insulting Claire in any of my premises and drawing a conclusion out of it, so the argument is logically sound.
Jul 10, 2015 11:54 AM
Sep 2014
I wonder how many people here r thirsty 4 me
Jul 10, 2015 11:58 AM

Oct 2012
1. Calling someone X for properties Y while denying that oneself is X, despite holding same such properties Y is hypocrisy. Calling someone X while being X and neither affirming or denying the latter is not. Otherwise someone could levy the charge: "Sam accuses Olwen of thinking gravity exists. Sam also thinks gravity exists. Therefore, Sam is a hypocrite." This is clearly absurd.

2. Your argument was not that Claire was a hypocrite. Rather, you posed, Why would anyone take Claire seriously? This is ad hominem, since you are dismissing a claim based upon some attribute of the claimant.

These observations are hardly pedantic or lack understanding, although I understand it may be in turn easier to attack me to cover up one's own blatant logical mishap.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 10, 2015 12:00 PM
Dec 2014
damastah said:
erik_erik_ said:
Hey, is anyone obsessed with me? Yeah, I suppose...

FTFY. C'mon.

Oh, I did not suppose at the time that I should've supposed... I suppose you got me while supposedly changed something I said...
j
Jul 10, 2015 12:11 PM

Apr 2015
Claire said:
I personally don't get people here who have an obsession with certain MAL members. Like, I understand if you have a crush on someone here, but if you're a guy and the one who you seem clearly obsessed with is another guy, it just seems...out of place, unless your intent is to eventually ask them out on a date IRL.

Signs that you're obsessed with a MAL member:
1. Commenting on their profile at least once.
2. Repeatedly trolling them on the forums and dishing out personal attacks when it's not even relevant to the conversation.
3. Creating threads about them and pretending that it's not about them at all.
4. Having a "senpai pls notice me" vibe.

You must have at least 3 of these to qualify as an obsessive person on this site.

So MAL, what do you think of people who obsess about other people on MAL? Why do they do this? Do you know of other indications that someone is obsessed with someone else here?

Have you been obsessed with someone here or have been the target of someone's obsession? What did you think of the whole situation?

Jul 10, 2015 12:44 PM

Jun 2014
erik_erik_ said:
damastah said:

FTFY. C'mon.

Oh, I did not suppose at the time that I should've supposed... I suppose you got me while supposedly changed something I said...

Supposedly.

katsucats said:
damastah said:
And the potshots continue.
Hey bro, nothing wrong with being black.

I wasn't referring to your post in particular though but okay. *shrugs*
Jul 10, 2015 12:48 PM

May 2015
I'm just obsessed with saber.And if a person like saber would've existed in real life,i'll get obsessed with her too
Jul 10, 2015 1:14 PM

Nov 2014
It's a bit sad
Jul 10, 2015 2:31 PM

Oct 2011
katsucats said:
1. Calling someone X for properties Y while denying that oneself is X, despite holding same such properties Y is hypocrisy. Calling someone X while being X and neither affirming or denying the latter is not. Otherwise someone could levy the charge: "Sam accuses Olwen of thinking gravity exists. Sam also thinks gravity exists. Therefore, Sam is a hypocrite." This is clearly absurd.

2. Your argument was not that Claire was a hypocrite. Rather, you posed, Why would anyone take Claire seriously? This is ad hominem, since you are dismissing a claim based upon some attribute of the claimant.

These observations are hardly pedantic or lack understanding, although I understand it may be in turn easier to attack me to cover up one's own blatant logical mishap.

1. Wrong:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite

a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess,

2. Let's do a formal mathematical proof that my argument was valid then. My second argument was as follows:

1) ∀P(P is bad => ∀x∀z(x is P and z is P and z is not as P as x is and x lectures z about P => ~Ǝy(y should take x seriously))) = premise
2) Obsessiveness is bad. = premise
3) Claire is obsessive. = premise
4) Someone else is obsessive. = premise
5) That person is not as obsessive as Claire. = premise
6) Claire lectured that person about obsessiveness. = premise
7) ∀x∀z(x is obsessive and z is obsessive and z is not as obsessive as x is and x lectures z about obsessiveness => ~Ǝy(y should take x seriously)) (follows from 1 and 2, universal instantiation, modus ponens)
===
8) ~Ǝy(y should take Claire seriously) (follows from 3, 4, 5, 6 by four applications of conjunction generation, universal instantiation on 7, and modus ponens)

Previous argument in formal logic terms:

1) ∀x∀z(x is obsessive and z is obsessive z is not as obsessive as x is and x lectures z about obsessiveness => x is a hypocrite). = premise
2) Claire is obsessive. = premise
3) Someone else is obsessive. = premise
4) That person is not as obsessive as Claire. = premise
5) Claire lectured that person about obsessiveness. = premise
===
6) Claire is a hypocrite. (follows from 2, 3, 4, 5 by conjunction generation, universal instantiation on line 1, modus ponens)

I've just mathematically proven that all of my arguments are logically valid, so you've obviously fucked up somewhere again :P.

You know, we should have a formal philosophical debate and have people vote on it. What do you think? It'd be so fun!
Jul 10, 2015 2:49 PM

Oct 2012
Olwen said:
katsucats said:

1. Wrong:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite

a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess,

2. Let's do a formal mathematical proof that my argument was valid then. My second argument was as follows:

1) ∀P(P is bad => ∀x∀z(x is P and z is P and z is not as P as x is and x lectures z about P => ~Ǝy(y should take x seriously))) = premise
2) Obsessiveness is bad. = premise
3) Claire is obsessive. = premise
4) Someone else is obsessive. = premise
5) That person is not as obsessive as Claire. = premise
6) Claire lectured that person about obsessiveness. = premise
7) ∀x∀z(x is obsessive and z is obsessive and z is not as obsessive as x is and x lectures z about obsessiveness => ~Ǝy(y should take x seriously)) (follows from 1 and 2, universal instantiation, modus ponens)
===
8) ~Ǝy(y should take Claire seriously) (follows from 3, 4, 5, 6 by four applications of conjunction generation, universal instantiation on 7, and modus ponens)

Previous argument in formal logic terms:

1) ∀x∀z(x is obsessive and z is obsessive z is not as obsessive as x is and x lectures z about obsessiveness => x is a hypocrite). = premise
2) Claire is obsessive. = premise
3) Someone else is obsessive. = premise
4) That person is not as obsessive as Claire. = premise
5) Claire lectured that person about obsessiveness. = premise
===
6) Claire is a hypocrite. (follows from 2, 3, 4, 5 by conjunction generation, universal instantiation on line 1, modus ponens)

I've just mathematically proven that all of my arguments are logically valid, so you've obviously fucked up somewhere again :P.
Is English your second language? You have continually proven again and again how wrong you are. A person who pretends that she has [the quality of not being obsessive], but in fact has [the quality of being obsessive] is irrelevant to the assertion of another person having the quality of being obsessive, or that the first has lectured the second, or that the first is more so than the second.

Therefore, we can readily (factually, based on your quoted definition) reject the soundness of premise 1 from the 2nd argument. We can reject, also, premise 4 from lack of evidence. Your 1st argument is an ad hominem since your argument encased in premise 1 dismisses someone (y shouldn't take x seriously) based on a personality trait of the person ("Claire is obsessive"). Thank you for typing all that out and formally showcasing your penchant for irrelevancy.

Olwen said:
You know, we should have a formal philosophical debate and have people vote on it. What do you think? It'd be so fun!
I think you should get a life.

P.S. Don't think everyone doesn't realize that you've conveniently "hidden" your real argument in your premise 1's and attempted to obscure the fact with symbols. Here, let me help you for the masses:

Olwen said:
We shouldn't take anyone seriously who points out a trait in people when that person has more so the trait himself.
Let's forget, for now, that we have no metric to determine whether Claire or the other person is more obsessive, which is an arbitrary premise you pulled out of your ass since it has nothing to do with either the definition nor any facts presented.

Your first argument argues for ignoring a claim based on a trait of that person. If your second argument is true, then a person who is smart who has pointed out that another person is less smart is a hypocrite -- clearly not the way in which most people understand that word. So even if you are "right" in your own mind, you are right only on account of grammar and not any significant way.
katsucatsJul 10, 2015 3:16 PM
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 10, 2015 3:47 PM

Oct 2011
Is English your second language?

Actually, yes. LOOOOOOL

A person who pretends that she has [the quality of not being obsessive], but in fact has [the quality of being obsessive] is irrelevant to the assertion of another person having the quality of being obsessive, or that the first has lectured the second, or that the first is more so than the second.

We assume that people follow the Gricean maxims when they talk. By lecturing someone on being obsessive, you generate the conversational implicature that you yourself are not obsessive, because it would violate the Gricean maxims if you talked about

I don't have the time nor patience to explain this to someone completely unknowledgeable in philosophy and logic. Read about this yourself: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/implicature/

Your 1st argument is an ad hominem since your argument encased in premise 1 dismisses someone

So you still don't understand how an ad hominem argument works? LOLOLOL. No, my entire argument follows from formal logic, Mr. Formal Logician. All I did was use universal instantiation, conjunction generation, and modus ponens, all of which are valid logical techniques. I did not use the ad hominem fallacy.

An argument of the following form:

1. Katsucats is an idiot.
===
2. Katsucats is wrong about gay marriage. (? where did this come from?)

I do not use modus ponens to come to this conclusion, or in fact any rule given to me by the tools of formal logic.

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:

Person A makes claim X.
Person B makes an attack on person A.
Therefore A's claim is false.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html

To draw the conclusion "A's claim is false" modus ponens, universal instantiation, etc. were not used. So it's an invalid argument. But since my argument did not use reasoning of that kind, my argument is fine.

For wanting to debate with you, Mr. Creator of the Debate Club (am I remembering this right?)?

Let's forget, for now, that we have no metric to determine whether Claire or the other person is more obsessive, which is an arbitrary premise you pulled out of your ass since it has nothing to do with either the definition nor any facts presented.

Your first argument argues for ignoring a claim based on a trait of that person. If your second argument is true, then a person who is smart who has pointed out that another person is less smart is a hypocrite -- clearly not the way in which most people understand that word. So even if you are "right" in your own mind, you are right only on account of grammar and not any significant way.

We don't need a metric for obsessiveness because it's so obvious LOL.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1373629

Comparing making a thread, posting comments on a profile etc. to GOING TO SOMEONE'S UNIVERSITY AND STALKING THEM is retarded.

This entire argument is a joke lol. It's like a monkey trying to fight with a gorilla. Arrogant pseudo-philosophers who know nothing about logic shouldn't argue with trained logicians. =_=
Jul 10, 2015 3:52 PM

Mar 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
I'm honestly more obsessed with Katsu x Olwen than anything else really.

Maybe get xE in on it and there'd be nice hot threesomes.
Why stop there.

Get noob and autocrat in this too.

Get'im all in 'ere.
Happy Halloween
Jul 10, 2015 4:03 PM

Dec 2013
PDot19 said:
Why stop there.

Get noob and autocrat in this too.

Get'im all in 'ere.
Might as well just lock the thread as that would eventually happen.
Jul 10, 2015 4:29 PM

Apr 2014
You don't have to get it and you really don't need to care about it.
Jul 10, 2015 4:32 PM
Feb 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
Claire said:
Huh??? Who's Olwen?
It doesn't matter who he is. What matters is his plan.

Olwen's intelligence surpasses that of Danebenreden, katsucats, Bloodcalibur, and QueenJenny combined.

A real human bean.
Jul 10, 2015 4:46 PM

Oct 2012
Olwen said:
We assume that people follow the Gricean maxims when they talk. By lecturing someone on being obsessive, you generate the conversational implicature that you yourself are not obsessive, because it would violate the Gricean maxims if you talked about
Creating an open discussion about obsessions does not imply that oneself is less obsessive than all future participants. This is not, and has never been, a single-ended lecture, nor would a non-moralistic lecture of this type imply that the lecturer is "better" than the other. If you don't have the time nor patience, then stop dreaming up irrelevant principles in the first place.

Olwen said:
Your 1st argument is an ad hominem since your argument encased in premise 1 dismisses someone
So you still don't understand how an ad hominem argument works? LOLOLOL. No, my entire argument follows from formal logic, Mr. Formal Logician. All I did was use universal instantiation, conjunction generation, and modus ponens, all of which are valid logical techniques. I did not use the ad hominem fallacy.
Ad hominem is not a formal logic fallacy, and does not necessarily violate any formal logic structure.
1. If a person is gay, he is wrong.
2. Bob is gay.
3. Bob is wrong.
Is perfectly valid according to modus ponens, but unsound.

Olwen said:
An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument.

Person A makes claim X.
Person B makes an attack on person A.
Therefore A's claim is false.

To draw the conclusion "A's claim is false" modus ponens, universal instantiation, etc. were not used. So it's an invalid argument. But since my argument did not use reasoning of that kind, my argument is fine.
By rejecting Claire's claims of someone being a hypocrite, using her character as evidence, you have done exactly the above. Using that Claire has made a claim as a premise, and then drawing a tautological conclusion based on arguments encased within your premises does not change this, and I would've thought that you'd know better than to try some cheap trick like this.

Olwen's Trick Argument
1. Hypothetical argument A = premise
2. All the hypothetical terms in A are true = premise
3. Therefore, the conclusion in A is true = conclusion

Uh, no. This is teruu level trolling.

Olwen said:
For wanting to debate with you, Mr. Creator of the Debate Club (am I remembering this right?)?
That's The_Autocrat.

Olwen said:

We don't need a metric for obsessiveness because it's so obvious LOL
Appeal to common sense. LOL

Olwen said:

Comparing making a thread, posting comments on a profile etc. to GOING TO SOMEONE'S UNIVERSITY AND STALKING THEM is retarded.

This entire argument is a joke lol. It's like a monkey trying to fight with a gorilla. Arrogant pseudo-philosophers who know nothing about logic shouldn't argue with trained logicians. =_=
What you need is potty training, because all you do is spew a bunch of shit. Your closing statement is an argument from authority, but it's so pathetic that it doesn't even need a name for anyone to recognize it. Why don't you scan a copy of your certificate or diploma so we can laugh at you.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 10, 2015 4:50 PM

Oct 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
I'm honestly more obsessed with Katsu x Olwen than anything else really.
Oh please. If I were to make passionate love to xEmptiness, my cum would shoot and deflect off his face onto Immahnoob's ass, and only then will it drip into Olwen's mouth. In other words, Olwen's in the back of the line.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 10, 2015 4:50 PM
Feb 2014
I'm also literally a pedophile rn tbh
Jul 10, 2015 5:13 PM

Dec 2014
katsucats said:
Olwen said:
Creating an open discussion about obsessions does not imply that oneself is less obsessive than all future participants. This is not, and has never been, a single-ended lecture, nor would a non-moralistic lecture of this type imply that the lecturer is "better" than the other. If you don't have the time nor patience, then stop dreaming up irrelevant principles in the first place.

Olwen said:
Ad hominem is not a formal logic fallacy, and does not necessarily violate any formal logic structure.
1. If a person is gay, he is wrong.
2. Bob is gay.
3. Bob is wrong.
Is perfectly valid according to modus ponens, but unsound.

Olwen said:

By rejecting Claire's claims of someone being a hypocrite, using her character as evidence, you have done exactly the above. Using that Claire has made a claim as a premise, and then drawing a tautological conclusion based on arguments encased within your premises does not change this, and I would've thought that you'd know better than to try some cheap trick like this.

Olwen's Trick Argument
1. Hypothetical argument A = premise
2. All the hypothetical terms in A are true = premise
3. Therefore, the conclusion in A is true = conclusion

Uh, no. This is teruu level trolling.

Olwen said:
That's The_Autocrat.

Olwen said:
We don't need a metric for obsessiveness because it's so obvious LOL
Appeal to common sense. LOL

Olwen said:

What you need is potty training, because all you do is spew a bunch of shit. Your closing statement is an argument from authority, but it's so pathetic that it doesn't even need a name for anyone to recognize it. Why don't you scan a copy of your certificate or diploma so we can laugh at you.

Please do tell more...
Jul 10, 2015 5:25 PM

Sep 2009
>Commenting on their profile at least once

I do not think making a single comment qualifies as an 'obsession'.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Jul 10, 2015 5:30 PM

Oct 2012
AnnoKano said:

nor does Claire...

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Jul 10, 2015 5:40 PM

Sep 2009
Involtus said:
AnnoKano said:

nor does Claire...

I do not think it even contributes to defining someone as 'obsessed'.

For me, unhealthy obsession starts when they start trying to find you outside of MAL.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Jul 10, 2015 7:39 PM

Jun 2008
Locked.

Reaction thread detected, despite opening poster's insistence on remaining oblivious.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

28 by _Nette_ »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

67 by 3miL »»
22 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

30 by rohan121 »»
49 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 11 hours ago

16 by traed »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

23 by cody »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.