Forum Settings
Forums

How do you talk to someone you never talked to before?

New
Jun 17, 2015 7:24 AM

Jan 2014
How do you talk to someone you want to talk to, but never talked to before?

I'm the kind of person that other people have to talk to before I talk to them. It's never the other way around. I wonder do you just go in for the kill?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 17, 2015 7:28 AM
Jun 2015
I just normally try and find something we have an in common and go from there. For example, I could be like "Hey, I see you're watching Sailor Moon, what did you think about it?" and then hopefully it goes from them. Some people are pretty shit at reciprocation though and it can be almost unsettling if they don't reply or are just like "It's good" - but I guess you just need to keep chipping away at it.

All in all just try to find some common grund and you'll be talking to plenty of people in no time at all if that's what you want. As irritating as small talk can be, you still need it to get somewhere in conversation =D
Jun 17, 2015 7:29 AM
Jul 2018
Introduce yourself, and ask about her/him, but you shouldn't ask about private stuff. If you have knew what she/he likes, drag about it as long as you can. Also, don't you dare to talk about what you like that she/he doesn't know.
Jun 17, 2015 7:34 AM

Jan 2014
Itsthemason said:
I just normally try and find something we have an in common and go from there. For example, I could be like "Hey, I see you're watching Sailor Moon, what did you think about it?" and then hopefully it goes from them. Some people are pretty shit at reciprocation though and it can be almost unsettling if they don't reply or are just like "It's good" - but I guess you just need to keep chipping away at it.

All in all just try to find some common grund and you'll be talking to plenty of people in no time at all if that's what you want. As irritating as small talk can be, you still need it to get somewhere in conversation =D

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it!
Jun 17, 2015 7:35 AM

Jan 2014
GrandTemplar said:
Introduce yourself, and ask about her/him, but you shouldn't ask about private stuff. If you have knew what she/he likes, drag about it as long as you can. Also, don't you dare to talk about what you like that she/he doesn't know.

Don't talk about what they don't know. Got it! Thanks! :)
Jun 17, 2015 7:37 AM

Mar 2015
work up the courage, be a man, and yolo :')
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2015 9:39 PM

Nov 2014
Approach them, introduce yourself and have something to talk about.
Jun 24, 2015 9:40 PM

Jul 2012
Be straightforward and overly nice with emoticons. Small talk is nice.
Jun 24, 2015 9:41 PM

May 2012
"hello, goodmorning, how are ya, hi there, your fly is open"
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
Jun 24, 2015 9:42 PM
Jul 2018
Know said:
"hello, goodmorning, how are ya, hi there, your fly is open"

Sorry, I will close it :<
Jun 24, 2015 9:46 PM

Aug 2014
When its a female: "excuse me, doll-face (or pumpkin)". They love it when I call them that.

WHen its a male, just "excuse me"
Jun 24, 2015 9:47 PM

May 2014
Personally, I try to avoid any questions on why I've brought them there, where are they, why did I tie the knots so tight, or what do I want from them.
Jun 24, 2015 9:51 PM

Aug 2014
Jun 24, 2015 9:52 PM

Jul 2012
Carl_Marx said:
BTW

I got 10 ex girlfriend.

Is this an accomplishment because that means you broke up 10 times.
Jun 24, 2015 9:57 PM
Jul 2018
Carl_Marx said:
mayukachan said:

Oh, but the thing is. I love them truly. Unfortunately, I am only smooth in talking and not anything else.

what a slaya
let big poppa help u son
Jun 24, 2015 9:58 PM

Aug 2014
Did someone call for big poppa?
Jun 24, 2015 9:59 PM
Jul 2018
ooo333 said:

dats me m8
Jun 24, 2015 10:00 PM

Aug 2014
Carl_Marx said:
mayukachan said:

Oh, but the thing is. I love them truly. Unfortunately, I am only smooth in talking and not anything else.

One of my biggest regrets in life was being in love with this chick who had a bf while I had like 7 other chicks after me. I got nothing in the end. Life is cruel. Love is cruel. Ever since then, I have changed my way of thinking when it comes to females.
Jun 24, 2015 10:22 PM

Apr 2015
There was this one guy that one day just started hanging around me because he had no friends and no other people to talk to. In the beginning I didn't like him, considered him a tumor even, but eventually I found he and I had a lot of things in common and I started spending more time with him. I believe I met my best friend in a similar way too (Only I was the tumor).

So, yeah... try to leach onto someone that you think shares your interests, you may be amazed how people react when you're just trying to make friends with them (Working on teams with people that you've never spoken with is a great way of making new friends too).
Jun 25, 2015 3:00 AM

Jun 2010
Hi, How you going ? following by something like, I was just passing by, then I saw you and had to come and say hi. something like that.

protip. Hi, sup ? doesn't wrork et al :3
Jun 25, 2015 3:00 AM

Jul 2012
ooo333 said:
Carl_Marx said:

One of my biggest regrets in life was being in love with this chick who had a bf while I had like 7 other chicks after me. I got nothing in the end. Life is cruel. Love is cruel. Ever since then, I have changed my way of thinking when it comes to females.

You sound like an anime.
Jun 25, 2015 3:05 AM

Jan 2013
After a bout of humility, I tried talking to myself in order to better understand myself and my essential "being".

Deep.

OT: Just fucking talk to them. Say hello nigga.
Jun 25, 2015 4:17 AM

Jun 2014
star_light98 said:
work up the courage, be a man, and yolo :')
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 25, 2015 4:18 AM
Jul 2018
Spray them with a hose. They'll talk to you first.
Jun 25, 2015 4:19 AM

Apr 2011
mayura_loki said:
Introduce myself,and ask do you remember me?

"Wake up Neo."
Jun 25, 2015 4:40 AM

Apr 2015
In relationship , the fact is it is more difficult to maintain it rather than to start it . If there is someone who can survive wasting time with you for a long long time, it means that you're already found the right person who suits you. You do not need to befriends with everyone, just search for that right person.
WEABOO SCIENTIST
Jun 25, 2015 4:43 AM

Apr 2013
mayukachan said:
ooo333 said:

You sound like an anime.

He should at least put some effort into his lies.
Jun 25, 2015 6:18 AM

Feb 2012
i usually just say hi and go from there but i try find things we have in common so that i have a topic to talk with to the person
Jun 25, 2015 8:17 AM

Aug 2013
I usually do so by offering a can of drink or some cigarettes first. It is considered proper etiquette in my society to drink something or smoke together for starting up conversations with complete strangers.
Jun 25, 2015 8:18 AM

Jul 2014
ooo333 said:

im right here big boy
Jun 25, 2015 3:02 PM
Jul 2018
I honestly have no idea. This thread helps me too
Jun 25, 2015 3:04 PM
Jul 2018
you open your mouth, and let out vocals
Jun 25, 2015 3:05 PM

Jan 2013
Hey, nice shoes. Where did you get? Oh really? I like it too. Hey, you've been to this place? It has some of the nicest scenery. Are you busy? Well give me your contact info and I hook you up.

Typical conversation.
TookMe6YearsJun 25, 2015 3:08 PM
Jun 25, 2015 3:08 PM

Oct 2013
Well, perfect question for me. I'm working with a bunch of people I do not know, so this is a perfect moment to go through how I deal with it, and hopefully it will help you.

Normally, I just start with a basic introduction. That may include your name, where you are from, how old you are, etc. That's a little more for a professional setting, but I often times just slide in casually with my name. Then I'll start talking about another talking to find some common ground. It might be about hobbies, the weather, an observation of your surroundings. Just to get something going. Eventually, you'll find that the conversation will start heading in a certain direction, and you'll just go with the flow. If you find the conversation seems to be a bit choppy, find something that'll make it go smoother. Something you're sure you both can talk a long time about. This might require some digging into about the other person, but don't over do it. Also, on another note, never discuss religion or politics. Yes, they can be good to keep a conversation going, but many people hold this dear to their beliefs, and it can change their perspective of you and turn into an argument.
Jun 27, 2015 7:21 AM
Jun 2015
I usually ask questions to get conversations going and let them answer what I have to ask and once we get to asking questions we chat and get along that way we find things we like or don't like about one another
Jun 27, 2015 7:22 AM

May 2014
Avoid strangers but if i cant... they'll leave on their own.
Jun 27, 2015 7:22 AM

Aug 2010
I imagine that I did talk to them before.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

Jun 27, 2015 7:23 AM

May 2014
TheRainInSpain said:
How do you talk to someone you want to talk to, but never talked to before?

I'm the kind of person that other people have to talk to before I talk to them. It's never the other way around. I wonder do you just go in for the kill?

You can't.

People are born with this ability.

Just give up while you still can to avoid disappointment.
Jun 27, 2015 7:24 AM
Jun 2014
Try to find something that interests you both.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Jun 27, 2015 8:11 AM

Feb 2015
Just say

"Excuse me, do you know where sailors like to hang out?"

works everytime
Jun 27, 2015 8:17 AM

May 2014
Lash_ said:
Try to find something that interests you both.

+1
if none was found , bail out before it looks your trying too hard to pick him/her up.
Jun 27, 2015 9:09 AM

Jul 2014
"Sup nigga/gurl" then introduce myself and just go on from there i guess
Jun 27, 2015 1:09 PM

Oct 2012
CookieNCreamd said:
"Sup nigga/gurl" then introduce myself and just go on from there i guess

This works especially well when you're breaking the ice with a white person. Just make sure there aren't any black people close to you xD
Jun 27, 2015 1:12 PM
Jun 27, 2015 1:15 PM

Apr 2014
I flip out my 2 centimeter Peter.
Nop.
Jun 27, 2015 1:16 PM

May 2013
Like-A-Dance said:
Hi everyone.

I'm Dave.

I like your name.
Jun 27, 2015 8:07 PM

Jun 2015
Depends on whether it's IRL or online.

IRL I usually start by talking about stupid things like the traffic or the weather or something and then if the other person replies well, I continue from there.

Online, if I know we share an interest, I comment about that and then talk about that for a while before moving on to different things. Or if I know that the other person is reading/watching something I want to,I ask for their opinion on that.

It's simple once you start believing that everyone's stupid and not going to remember you even if you screw up.
-_-
Jun 28, 2015 1:27 PM

Apr 2014
[center][size=90]I'm way more outgoing online than I am in real life ^^'

I've been working on being more extroverted off the Internet, so now I try to start conversations with "Hello!; How are you?; My name is A; Nice to meet you; etc." It's all superficial stuff that seems pointless, but at least it gets the conversation going. If it's a person that goes to school, then I'll ask what grade they're in and what classes they might be taking. Then we can complain for half an hour about those horrible things known as AP tests or our terrible teachers and kind of get to know each other in the meantime. There's always the good option to ask about what people do in their free time, too :3
I rarely mention anime because most people seem to have an aversion to it or just don't know what it is.
But I'm very shy, so if there's ever an awkward pause in the conversation, I will never be the one to fill it because I panic, and my mind goes blank! That's why it's more difficult to talk to adults because once I move past the "hello, I'm doing well" stage, there's not really much I can talk to them about.
I try to be careful about what I say because I'm scared that people will judge me. I don't know if they do or not :') Sometimes I think of things to say that might be funny, but I never actually say them because I'm worried I might offend someone or it might not be as funny as I actually imagine it to be.
I'm working on it...

Online, I'm really different. From asking other people's opinions of me, apparently I'm very outgoing, cheerful, and friendly, while being able to remain mature in discussions. I also have a good sense of humor??
I don't agree with many of those things but I would say that personally I notice myself being much more social on the Internet. I'm always more than willing to be the first to initiate a conversation, and, uh, if you haven't noticed already, I write a lot ;_; I'll always welcome new people into groups and I love talking to everyone [ very different from real life, where I avoid doing so if I can help it! ]. When people send me friend requests, I'll always go to greet them and talk about something that we have in common.

So generally, if it's advice you're looking for...
Start with the general polite exchanges "How are you doing today?" and then try to find something in common. I'm not sure if you refer to talking to people on MAL or in real life...
So I'd say, in real life, you can ask what somebody's job is, or maybe what grade in school they are in, or what they enjoy doing in their free time depending on how old they are. Even though talking about the weather is often deemed socially inept, it can help to start a conversation if you really can't think of anything else.
On MAL, see what anime or manga you have in common, or you know what, if you don't have anything in common or run out of things to talk to, just pick a random anime [ that might seem decently interesting to you ] and say "Hey, I noticed that you watched this anime. I was thinking about watching it, since it looks really interesting, but I'm not sure yet. Could you give me your opinion on it?" Even if you don't genuinely mean to watch that anime, at least you have something to talk about for the time being, and who knows, you might actually end up watching it and enjoying the experience!

[ a ] [ i ] wo atsumete
たくさん の あい お あつめたら
tumblr
ことば で きみ に とどけよう
deviantart
みえない きもち お かたち に したら
last.fm
こころ の なか まで とどく から

Jun 28, 2015 5:15 PM

Dec 2012
DramaticBucket said:
Depends on whether it's IRL or online.

^ Agreed.

Found something that you both enjoy, talk about it or be straightforward but don't freak them out. Live life, bro.

ooo333 said:
When its a female: "excuse me, doll-face (or pumpkin)". They love it when I call them that.

WHen its a male, just "excuse me"

I doubt every female you met loves that. You're funny, Mr. Troll.
Jun 28, 2015 6:17 PM

Mar 2014
It's hard :(
Redheadphones said:
The 'Children' continue to flock around me. They see me as a guide on their path to salvation. They wish to transcend their powerless existences, to grow from mere boys and girls into men and women of worth and value.

Pick a number between 1-4 and hope to get lucky.
1 2 3 4
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

80 by LoveYourEyes »»
4 minutes ago

» Does knowing how MAL user looks like change how you see/treat them?

barababas - 19 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
15 minutes ago

» (Nearly) Dying in your dreams

TheAngryNerd - Oct 18, 2022

27 by Soverign »»
31 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you care about your native culture? ( 1 2 )

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 9

51 by MalchikRepaid »»
55 minutes ago

» Hottest non Hollywood actor on YouTube?

scarydragon - 59 minutes ago

0 by scarydragon »»
59 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.