Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 21, 2015 1:31 AM

Dec 2014
I just finished watching it, and I think it pretty much sucked... big time.
It started off okay but got worse as it went on. The actor who played Nathan didn't fit the role that well. Its the same old cliche about artificial intelligence. The main character is an idiot. The story is predictable. Also, why are all the robots female? Why are there so many good reviews for this movie?

I get it this movie tries to be smart. It brings up some good points and interesting questions. However, the way its executed is just horrible. It ends up being a boring 3 hours. Three hours of my life wasted. The characters motives don't make sense to me. Moral of the story to me is this:
1. Don't build robots you can't control.
2. Don't trust robot hoes.
3. We should get rid of google while we have the chance.
4. Don't give alcoholics power and money.

So, have you watched this movie. What Did you think about it?

BloodshadeMay 21, 2015 1:38 AM
May 21, 2015 2:29 AM

Sep 2012
I actually liked it. I thought the acting was good; Caleb was obsessed and obsession can turn into dark things. He viewed Ava as a human. It might explain some of the reasons for his actions in the latter part of the movie. The genius guy was maybe a sociopath; he defiantly had a god complex. The AI's were all female because the guy who made them wanted them that way. He also liked taking them to bed. I think he actually answered that question in the movie when they were talking about why he gave the Ava sexuality. I thought of it more of a fun science fiction film. I guess it could be taken as a pseudo-intellectual one to, depending on which way you perceive it. The twists weren't that original but they did play with my emotions and raised some moral questions. The highlight for me was the directing. The suspense was great!
May 21, 2015 1:38 PM

Dec 2014
Mugs_Smile said:
I actually liked it. I thought the acting was good; Caleb was obsessed and obsession can turn into dark things. He viewed Ava as a human. It might explain some of the reasons for his actions in the latter part of the movie. The genius guy was maybe a sociopath; he defiantly had a god complex. The AI's were all female because the guy who made them wanted them that way. He also liked taking them to bed. I think he actually answered that question in the movie when they were talking about why he gave the Ava sexuality. I thought of it more of a fun science fiction film. I guess it could be taken as a pseudo-intellectual one to, depending on which way you perceive it. The twists weren't that original but they did play with my emotions and raised some moral questions. The highlight for me was the directing. The suspense was great!

I do agree that it brought up interesting questions and ideas, however the movie itself was boring. I liked the AI designs I thought those were pretty cool. The plot itself was really freaking predictable. I've seen so many of these movies where the creation kills the creator. Its just way too hackneyed. On a side note the movie felt cheap. I know it was just an indie film, but that really isn't an excuse. I've seen indie films that were way more dynamic than this one. The movie was shot in a total of three different locations. The guy who played Nathan doesn't fit the scientist/CEO role. I mean he looks like a college frat boy as many have said before. I would of liked to hear more of why he became a sociopath and a recluse. Also, I disagreed with the idea about AI being evolution. More or less its de-evolution. Its a step backward for mankind. It goes against all logic that mankind would want to destroy themselves by creating something more superior then them. The very purpose of every species on this planet including humans is the will to survive.

Nathan already knew he created true AI, so what was the purpose of keeping them locked up? I know he wanted to see if one could escape using there own intelligence, and that's where Caleb came in. But using Caleb really meant nothing because the AI didn't outsmart Nathan but rather Caleb himself. See what I'm saying... too many holes in the plot. I have a hard time seeing Nathan as a villain at the end of the movie. In my opinion he should have destroyed the AI's once he proved AI could be created. He knew it was dangerous to release these AI in the human world. I didn't mind that the movie was kind of open ended, because I liked things like that before. My problem is it wasn't a good open ending. I give 4.5/10.

So, what do you think happened to Caleb and Ava?
May 21, 2015 9:08 PM

Sep 2012
Bloodshade said:
I've seen so many of these movies where the creation kills the creator. On a side note the movie felt cheap. I know it was just an indie film, but that really isn't an excuse. I've seen indie films that were way more dynamic than this one.

I think the interesting idea that came from this was that did the creator deserve to die? I mean he basically tortured his creations. I guess I liked the moral ambiguity of it all. I didn't feel like this was an indie film. It had good production values. It's budget is too high and it didn't seem particularly artistic.

Bloodshade said:
The guy who played Nathan doesn't fit the scientist/CEO role. I mean he looks like a college frat boy as many have said before.

I agree on that. I mean he was super ego eccentric and likely didn't care for social conformity. It wasn't realistic.. Prehaps it was the isolation. It did make him more fun to watch. You know, the whole mad scientist kind of thing.

Bloodshade said:
It goes against all logic that mankind would want to destroy themselves by creating something more superior then them. The very purpose of every species on this planet including humans is the will to survive.

Like I said before, Nathan had a god complex. It fitted his character to want to do something like that.

Bloodshade said:
Nathan already knew he created true AI, so what was the purpose of keeping them locked up?

He was a perfectionist. He wanted create the perfect race. He was going to turn Ava off at some point to discover more information/data so that he could do that.

Bloodshade said:
I know he wanted to see if one could escape using there own intelligence, and that's where Caleb came in. But using Caleb really meant nothing because the AI didn't outsmart Nathan but rather Caleb himself. See what I'm saying... too many holes in the plot.

Sure it had plot holes but that wasn't one of them. He wanted to use Caleb and Ava as pawns. He was never part of the test; he was the observer. He couldn't of used himself because he had the bias of not wanting to let the AI's free until he perfected them. He needed someone who was unaware of the situation. Caleb was picked for the reasons mentioned in the movie.

Bloodshade said:
I have a hard time seeing Nathan as a villain at the end of the movie. In my opinion he should have destroyed the AI's once he proved AI could be created. He knew it was dangerous to release these AI in the human world.

That wouldn't have fitted his character. I don't think he was a villain. He was just someone who was obsessed. This is what I mean by moral ambiguity.

Bloodshade said:
I didn't mind that the movie was kind of open ended, because I liked things like that before. My problem is it wasn't a good open ending.

How was the movie open ended? I thought the ending was pretty one sided. Perhaps I missed something.

Bloodshade said:

Ava was using Caleb the whole time as a means for escape..?
May 21, 2015 9:30 PM

Dec 2014
Mugs_Smile said:
Bloodshade said:
I've seen so many of these movies where the creation kills the creator. On a side note the movie felt cheap. I know it was just an indie film, but that really isn't an excuse. I've seen indie films that were way more dynamic than this one.

I think the interesting idea that came from this was that did the creator deserve to die? I mean he basically tortured his creations. I guess I liked the moral ambiguity of it all. I didn't feel like this was an indie film. It had good production values. It's budget is too high and it didn't seem particularly artistic.

Bloodshade said:
The guy who played Nathan doesn't fit the scientist/CEO role. I mean he looks like a college frat boy as many have said before.

I agree on that. I mean he was super ego eccentric and likely didn't care for social conformity. It wasn't realistic.. Prehaps it was the isolation. It did make him more fun to watch. You know, the whole mad scientist kind of thing.

Bloodshade said:
It goes against all logic that mankind would want to destroy themselves by creating something more superior then them. The very purpose of every species on this planet including humans is the will to survive.

Like I said before, Nathan had a god complex. It fitted his character to want to do something like that.

Bloodshade said:
Nathan already knew he created true AI, so what was the purpose of keeping them locked up?

He was a perfectionist. He wanted create the perfect race. He was going to turn Ava off at some point to discover more information/data so that he could do that.

Bloodshade said:
I know he wanted to see if one could escape using there own intelligence, and that's where Caleb came in. But using Caleb really meant nothing because the AI didn't outsmart Nathan but rather Caleb himself. See what I'm saying... too many holes in the plot.

Sure it had plot holes but that wasn't one of them. He wanted to use Caleb and Ava as pawns. He was never part of the test; he was the observer. He couldn't of used himself because he had the bias of not wanting to let the AI's free until he perfected them. He needed someone who was unaware of the situation. Caleb was picked for the reasons mentioned in the movie.

Bloodshade said:
I have a hard time seeing Nathan as a villain at the end of the movie. In my opinion he should have destroyed the AI's once he proved AI could be created. He knew it was dangerous to release these AI in the human world.

That wouldn't have fitted his character. I don't think he was a villain. He was just someone who was obsessed. This is what I mean by moral ambiguity.

Bloodshade said:
I didn't mind that the movie was kind of open ended, because I liked things like that before. My problem is it wasn't a good open ending.

How was the movie open ended? I thought the ending was pretty one sided. Perhaps I missed something.

Bloodshade said:

Ava was using Caleb the whole time as a means for escape..?

I guess your interpretation is different than mine. Its kind of typical for movies such as this. It doesn't show a definite ending for Caleb or Ava. Just that Ava escapes the facility, and is walking around on the street. Not to mention wtf happened with the pilot of the helicopter. He just randomly lets her onto the helicopter? It makes no sense. On top of that, Nathan even told Caleb that she is pretending to love him. Any basic moron would have said hey this guy created the AI its better to listen to him than the AI itself. LOL i'm ranting, its just that this movie irritated me.

On a side note, why was there controversy over this film being sexist? I think people get offended way too easily about this kind of thing. What do you think about that. Didn't seem sexist in the slightest.
BloodshadeMay 21, 2015 9:34 PM
May 21, 2015 10:39 PM

Sep 2012
That's fair enough. I'm not very critical when it comes to movies. I was wondering about the pilot too. Maybe she killed him? Her fight against Nathan would suggest otherwise. I guess she somehow manipulated him. It does sound kind of weak though.

Caleb was smart but also naive. Remember how he believed he was accepted due to being the top coder at the company. Ava was created based on his personal preferences. Ava was great at manipulation. Do you remember the part where he cut himself? He thought he might have been an AI because of her. He was having an identity crisis of his own. With the way Nathan acted it was easy for me to perceive why he chose Ava over Nathan. I don't think Caleb wanted to believe Nathan when he told him about Ava's intentions. Perhaps it wasn't the most rational decision but humans aren't 100% rational creatures.

Probably something to do with the gender roles given to the AI, I haven't heard about it but it does sound silly.
May 22, 2015 12:19 AM

Dec 2014
Mugs_Smile said:
That's fair enough. I'm not very critical when it comes to movies. I was wondering about the pilot too. Maybe she killed him? Her fight against Nathan would suggest otherwise. I guess she somehow manipulated him. It does sound kind of weak though.

Caleb was smart but also naive. Remember how he believed he was accepted due to being the top coder at the company. Ava was created based on his personal preferences. Ava was great at manipulation. Do you remember the part where he cut himself? He thought he might have been an AI because of her. He was having an identity crisis of his own. With the way Nathan acted it was easy for me to perceive why he chose Ava over Nathan. I don't think Caleb wanted to believe Nathan when he told him about Ava's intentions. Perhaps it wasn't the most rational decision but humans aren't 100% rational creatures.

Probably something to do with the gender roles given to the AI, I haven't heard about it but it does sound silly.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.
May 23, 2015 4:28 PM

May 2015
I enjoyed it. It wasn't spectacular but I thought the dialogue was witty and entertaining. The whole movie felt eerie and spooky, and I was unsure of what Nathan was feeling most of the time.

I was a bit dissatisfied with the ending, probably because I felt bad for Nathan and Caleb. Though it didn't bring much to the table in terms of A.I movies, it did fascinate me that AVA tricked Caleb into all that by playing into his emotions. And after I left the movie I wonder if I would have felt sympathy for AVA and would have actually cared enough to save her knowing she wasn't a real person. Interesting movie though.
May 23, 2015 4:39 PM

Dec 2012
I liked it and thought it was interesting and enjoyable. Not really a Sci-Fi fan but I was surprised. Anyways I won't deny it was really predictable but it laid down some themes well developed imo, albeit the themes were the usual robot-displaying-humanity types. The dialogue and music were great, it was really atmospheric.

As for the robot details, that should've been explored more. The weakest part part of the show imo, but idk if this was aiming for a psychological approach. Nevertheless, you can't "build" a good show with a weak foundation. It's just strong in some areas, weak in the most relevant.
RothMay 23, 2015 4:42 PM
May 23, 2015 5:54 PM
May 2013
Mugs_Smile said:

Agree 100%! And Oscar Isaac is an amazing actor. And LOL to the dance scene, come on Caleb dance! Lastly, holy shit I had NO IDEA MAL had a whole other forum for movies, computers, general discussions and I've had an account for 2 years. Damn.
rpool179May 24, 2015 1:31 PM
May 23, 2015 7:00 PM

Nov 2012
Cannot relate to your opinion. I think it is the best movie I've seen all year. The dialogue was poignant and the philosophy didn't feel like it was info-dumped and shoehorned in to give the illusion of sophistication; it actually was all relevant to the narrative and coalesced with it in interesting ways. This is something rarely accomplished especially in contrast to writers like Gen Urobuchi, where his dialogue often just comes off as philosophical masturbation that doesn't necessarily add anything to the plot. Speaking of plot, I like that it was mainly focused on the psychology and morality of AI, unlike a lot of sci-fi movies as of late that introduce interesting sci-fi concepts but never fully flesh them out and are often just used as backdrops eventually to be upstaged by action setpieces and typical hollywood spectacle. Not that movies like Chappie and Age of Ultron are bad, but at the same time if you're going to introduce these concepts and themes, then they should actually bring something to the table besides merely being a gimmick. I mean replace Ultron with a human character and was anything of substance really lost? I would argue not really. There was nothing about his character that gave the impression that he was anything other than a human with a metal face.

Ex Machina didn't feel "cheap" at all; the special effects on Ava's body to make her look like a machine were surprisingly very realistic and believable despite the movie's shoestring budget, and the movie doesn't rely on special effects as a crutch to carry an otherwise lackluster story, but rather they are used as they should be used, which is to enhance and add to the immersion of the story. Whether or not the plot was "predictable" I suppose is pretty subjective. Savvier critics would pick up on the fact that because this is an indie movie it has more freedom to take the narrative on the path less tread, but if this were a bigger budget movie I think people would find the plot a lot less predictable because the ending chosen would be seen as a huge risk from producers and you would be expecting a more idealistic ending. Either way, however predictable the plot is, I don't think it really matters for enjoyment. Most of your entertainment value will hinge on your interest in the character interactions and the underlying psychology at play during their conversations, not the ending. If you just want to see shit blow up or if cerebral sci-fi simply isn't your thing, then it's obviously not going to appeal.

Also some random side notes:

Nathan was not supposed to be the villain. Part of what made this film again so well-written was the fact that everyone had their own believable motivations for what they did and conflict naturally followed from their differing perspectives.

If you listen to some of Alex (the director) Garland's interviews, his point in the movie was not actually to say "Don't make uncontrollable machines". From his perspective Ava was actually the protagonist. She is the sympathetic mistreated character. If you create true artificial intelligence that is not just operating on rudimentary programmed algorithms and actually thinks for itself, then what Nathan was doing without fully realizing was essentially caging a fully conscious and sentient being and treating them like an animal. Alex's message is that if technology ever reaches such a point, then these beings should be entitled to be treated with more dignity than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1ajhotzj0&t=7m34s
OmegaSietsMay 23, 2015 7:52 PM
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
May 23, 2015 9:42 PM

Dec 2014
rpool179 said:

Agree 100%! And Oscar Isaac is an amazing actor. And LOL to the dance scene, come on Caleb dance! Lastly, holy shit I had NO IDEA MAL had a whole other forum for movies, computers, general discussions and I've an account for 2 years. Damn.

Oscar Isaac is a good actor, but he wasn't good in this role. This kind of character didn't fit him. The dance scene did make me laugh but that is because it was completely ridiculous.

MiniSiets said:
Cannot relate to your opinion. I think it is the best movie I've seen all year. The dialogue was poignant and the philosophy didn't feel like it was info-dumped and shoehorned in to give the illusion of sophistication; it actually was all relevant to the narrative and coalesced with it in interesting ways. This is something rarely accomplished especially in contrast to writers like Gen Urobuchi, where his dialogue often just comes off as philosophical masturbation that doesn't necessarily add anything to the plot. Speaking of plot, I like that it was mainly focused on the psychology and morality of AI, unlike a lot of sci-fi movies as of late that introduce interesting sci-fi concepts but never fully flesh them out and are often just used as backdrops eventually to be upstaged by action setpieces and typical hollywood spectacle. Not that movies like Chappie and Age of Ultron are bad, but at the same time if you're going to introduce these concepts and themes, then they should actually bring something to the table besides merely being a gimmick. I mean replace Ultron with a human character and was anything of substance really lost? I would argue not really. There was nothing about his character that gave the impression that he was anything other than a human with a metal face.

Ex Machina didn't feel "cheap" at all; the special effects on Ava's body to make her look like a machine were surprisingly very realistic and believable despite the movie's shoestring budget, and the movie doesn't rely on special effects as a crutch to carry an otherwise lackluster story, but rather they are used as they should be used, which is to enhance and add to the immersion of the story. Whether or not the plot was "predictable" I suppose is pretty subjective. Savvier critics would pick up on the fact that because this is an indie movie it has more freedom to take the narrative on the path less tread, but if this were a bigger budget movie I think people would find the plot a lot less predictable because the ending chosen would be seen as a huge risk from producers and you would be expecting a more idealistic ending. Either way, however predictable the plot is, I don't think it really matters for enjoyment. Most of your entertainment value will hinge on your interest in the character interactions and the underlying psychology at play during their conversations, not the ending. If you just want to see shit blow up or if cerebral sci-fi simply isn't your thing, then it's obviously not going to appeal.

Nathan was not supposed to be the villain. Part of what made this film again so well-written was the fact that everyone had their own believable motivations for what they did and conflict naturally followed from their differing perspectives.

If you listen to some of Alex (the director) Garland's interviews, his point in the movie was not actually to say "Don't make uncontrollable machines". From his perspective Ava was actually the protagonist. She is the sympathetic mistreated character. If you create true artificial intelligence that is not just operating on rudimentary programmed algorithms and actually thinks for itself, then what Nathan was doing without fully realizing was essentially caging a fully conscious and sentient being and treating them like an animal. Alex's message is that if technology ever reaches such a point, then these beings should be entitled to be treated with more dignity than that.

I know what point Alex Garland tried to make. I just didn't relate to those points. I have my own points, as I usually come to my own conclusions with movies such as these.

The reason I think people like to rate this movie high is because its different. Its not your average Hollywood film. Different isn't always better.

The special effects for the A.I. were enjoyable. I'm just talking in regards to everything else that felt cheap. The environment, and the characters. The movie was over 2 hours and it felt like the camera was going in loops. One room of his house to another.

I respect the endeavor, and the questions it brings to the table. However, it just didn't appeal to me.

P.S. We should still destroy google.
BloodshadeMay 23, 2015 9:45 PM
May 24, 2015 12:15 AM

Nov 2012
Bloodshade said:
The reason I think people like to rate this movie high is because its different. Its not your average Hollywood film. Different isn't always better.

I'm sure this is probably the case with a lot of critics. The same thing seemed to happen with Birdman even though personally I don't find it to be that impressive of a film. I do happen to think Ex Machina deserves its praise in this case though.

Bloodshade said:
The movie was over 2 hours and it felt like the camera was going in loops. One room of his house to another.

It was actually an hour and 48 minutes, but no doubt it probably feels longer if you weren't enjoying it.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
May 24, 2015 1:34 PM
May 2013
Bloodshade said:
rpool179 said:

Agree 100%! And Oscar Isaac is an amazing actor. And LOL to the dance scene, come on Caleb dance! Lastly, holy shit I had NO IDEA MAL had a whole other forum for movies, computers, general discussions and I've an account for 2 years. Damn.

Oscar Isaac is a good actor, but he wasn't good in this role. This kind of character didn't fit him. The dance scene did make me laugh but that is because it was completely ridiculous.

MiniSiets said:

I know what point Alex Garland tried to make. I just didn't relate to those points. I have my own points, as I usually come to my own conclusions with movies such as these.

The special effects for the A.I. were enjoyable. I'm just talking in regards to everything else that felt cheap. The environment, and the characters. The movie was over 2 hours and it felt like the camera was going in loops. One room of his house to another.

I respect the endeavor, and the questions it brings to the table. However, it just didn't appeal to me.

P.S. We should still destroy google.

Is part of your criticism related to you saying you can't relate to the points Alex Garland was trying to make? As far as the dance scene, Oscar Isaac was completely drunk so it fit in the sense of it's believable a drunk guy would do something like that. Not that this was the focal point of the movie for me, just figured I'd mention something different since everyine had the plot and writing covered.

More topics from this board

» Non anime Japanese Movies recommendations

Akuho993 - 5 hours ago

4 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
2 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7647 by sund0wner »»
6 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3415 by Ricchan__ »»
7 hours ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4829 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Yesterday, 4:57 PM

» What was the last TV show episode (non anime) have you watched?

Vargnatt - Mar 23

35 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Yesterday, 3:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.