Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 17, 2015 11:03 AM

Dec 2014
Well, there is a topic similar to this, but I wanna make this one more direct, for discussion and with a poll. Also because this is a delicate subject.

Well, I would say I'm partly against.

So MAL, thoughts~
FragMentizedMay 17, 2015 1:16 PM
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 17, 2015 11:04 AM
Jul 2018
I think it may be better to use criminals as a labour force,in the most of the cases rather than kill them.
May 17, 2015 11:04 AM

Feb 2014
That engrish in the poll
May 17, 2015 11:05 AM

Apr 2013
I'm totally for it. We should have it in every country.

Aug 2014
The way I see it, the death penalty is just an attempt at trying to reach poetic justice. Though, like anything else, it depends on the situation and context.

Jun 2014
I think its only suitable in very extreme situations so for the most part I'm against it

Feb 2015
If there was no death penalty, Ted Bundy would have escaped thrice.
Hello
May 17, 2015 11:06 AM

Dec 2014
Awesama said:
That engrish in the poll

?
May 17, 2015 11:07 AM

Feb 2015
Dunno, but if I had to choose I'd be partly for it.

I'm guessing you brought this up after seeing the Boston bombing penalties? >.>
:::|| ---A N I M E L I S T--- || ---M A N G A L I S T--- || ---S I G N A T U R E S--- || ---C A R D S--- ||:::
May 17, 2015 11:11 AM

Mar 2015
Totally against
May 17, 2015 11:12 AM

Jul 2013
Against. A lot of the people who get the death penalty have committed some pretty heinous crimes. So why should they get an amazing last meal then a peaceful needle in the arm drug death? I say instead of the death penalty the person should be forced to have the same crime they committed done to them, perhaps worse. The death penalty is just the easy way out.

edit: Just because I say I'm against the death penalty does not mean I'm for letting them live. I just think our death penalty is too kind to these people.
May 17, 2015 11:12 AM
May 2014
i believe that having the death penalty is a complete contradiction to what prison is actually trying to do. people dont go to prison to suffer eternally as most people think.
NO , they go to prison so they can be reformed and rejoin society as a healthy unit.

putting a criminal on death sentence is robbing him of every chance to conform
May 17, 2015 11:13 AM

Dec 2013
An eye for an eye will leave everyone blind.

I'm against it for various reasons, I think there are better alternatives.
May 17, 2015 11:14 AM

Feb 2014
lllllllll said:
I'm totally for it. We should have it in every country.

100% this.
Where the fuck did Monday go?
May 17, 2015 11:17 AM

Jul 2013
GGeo said:
i believe that having the death penalty is a complete contradiction to what prison is actually trying to do. people dont go to prison to suffer eternally as most people think.
NO , they go to prison so they can be reformed and rejoin society as a healthy unit.

So you want to pay your hard earned tax dollars to try to reform some of the worst psychopaths? Hell plenty of people are good at giving the right answers, wouldn't be hard to act like you were a good reformed citizen, be let loose on society to reek havoc again. Death penalty is usually given to the worse of the worse prisoners, usually the ones beyond reform.
May 17, 2015 11:20 AM

Dec 2013
Aka_Saber said:
So you want to pay your hard earned tax dollars to try to reform some of the worst psychopaths?
It costs less to send them away for life. The constitution requires a long and complex judicial process to serve out capital punishment so as to not kill an innocent person which in the long run adds up to more than life without parole.
May 17, 2015 11:23 AM

Feb 2015
Don't know much about it but if it saves money then i would be for it but only for people who is obviously guilty.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2015 11:29 AM

Jul 2013
Astros said:
Aka_Saber said:
So you want to pay your hard earned tax dollars to try to reform some of the worst psychopaths?
It costs less to send them away for life. The constitution requires a long and complex judicial process to serve out capital punishment so as to not kill an innocent person which in the long run adds up to more than life without parole.

That would honestly depend on how old the person is. If they're in there 50 - 60s and might last only a couple years in a prison setting then sure I can agree. But I don't think life in prison for someone in their early 20s would be cheaper. I have never looked into this so I don't have much of a base for figures but I know that NY spends about $168,000 per prisoner to feed, house and guard one inmate per year. So if an inmate say kills someone and ends up in jail at 20 and lives to be 60 that would be a cost of 6,720,000. Just for one inmate. That's not even for a maximum security inmate.
May 17, 2015 11:31 AM
May 2014
Aka_Saber said:
GGeo said:

So you want to pay your hard earned tax dollars to try to reform some of the worst psychopaths? Hell plenty of people are good at giving the right answers, wouldn't be hard to act like you were a good reformed citizen, be let loose on society to reek havoc again. Death penalty is usually given to the worse of the worse prisoners, usually the ones beyond reform.
no matter how bad they are they could still do social work in a monitored enviroment. i dont say "free them all" im saying just dont kill them , monitor them , control them , (try to reform them) and make them do social work
May 17, 2015 11:36 AM
Jan 2015
Astros said:
Aka_Saber said:
Lessen the appeals, shorten the delay, make the death come quicker. Bam, you saved more money.
May 17, 2015 11:36 AM

May 2014
DejWo said:
I think it may be better to use criminals as a labour force,in the most of the cases rather than kill them.

I was supporting this idea at first but after giving your idea some thought it's way better.
May 17, 2015 11:38 AM

Jun 2013
We should make all criminals fight to the death in a very brutal and bloody manner. c:
WHAT IS THIS
May 17, 2015 11:44 AM

Jul 2013
GGeo said:
Aka_Saber said:

no matter how bad they are they could still do social work in a monitored enviroment. i dont say "free them all" im saying just dont kill them , monitor them , control them , (try to reform them) and make them do social work

One it costs more to monitor and control them then what the work they do alone could pay for. Two, there are some criminals that are too dangerous to let do this. Case in point serial killer Charles Sobhraj, aka the serpent. He perfected his crafty skills as an escape artist. He managed to drug his guards and break out of prison, not once but four times. Now imagine taking him out of prison to do social work or even moving him to a less secure place in the prison. Would be a cakewalk for him to get out. Even if it took 2 weeks to re-catch the guy just how many people do you think he would manage to kill? Some are beyond reform.
May 17, 2015 11:45 AM

Dec 2013
BlueScarf said:
Lessen the appeals, shorten the delay, make the death come quicker. Bam, you saved more money.
Yeah, while were at it lets just get rid of our law system and adopt the sharia law and have public executions for drug dealers. I mean they're indirectly responsible for hundreds of deaths a year.

Aka_Saber said:

That would honestly depend on how old the person is. If they're in there 50 - 60s and might last only a couple years in a prison setting then sure I can agree. But I don't think life in prison for someone in their early 20s would be cheaper. I have never looked into this so I don't have much of a base for figures but I know that NY spends about $168,000 per prisoner to feed, house and guard one inmate per year. So if an inmate say kills someone and ends up in jail at 20 and lives to be 60 that would be a cost of 6,720,000. Just for one inmate. That's not even for a maximum security inmate.
It differs from state to state really but trials usually cost millions and at times more than one is required. This is not mentioning that keeping prisoners on death row is more costly than shutting them without parole. It's said, which I admit I don't know where the facts are coming from, that typically death row inmates stay on death row for close to a decade before being executed.
May 17, 2015 11:46 AM
Apr 2015
There are better alternatives. Also people are condemned of crimes they didn't commit. We all know how much money and connections influence things.

Imagine dying a criminals death for something you didn't do. We should prevent these kind of deaths from ever happening.

Then again, dying might be a better option than rotting in jail. oops.
YhneiilMay 17, 2015 11:56 AM

May 17, 2015 11:46 AM

Jan 2014
Jessica said:
I think its only suitable in very extreme situations so for the most part I'm against it

I agree with this.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 17, 2015 11:47 AM

Jul 2013
Yume said:
We should make all criminals fight to the death in a very brutal and bloody manner. c:

I say ship them off to a deserted island so far from land they would have no hopes of escape with no supplies and let them handle each other. Sure you'd probably end up with one badass killer who ropes sea turtles together with the hair from his back that could probably survive at sea drinking the blood of his former island victims but hey, then you only have one incredibly psychopathic killer on your hands and you didn't even have to get your hands dirty.
Total cost: 1 island, a few plane trips to drop off new prisoners. Done.
May 17, 2015 11:48 AM

Oct 2012
If there were a vote to decide whether or not to implement capital punishment, I would vote against it right now.
The idea that life is sacred is killing the planet and hurting every living person on it. I don't hate people just because they are murderers, rapists, etc, we can never know their full story and it's true that anybody can turn their life around if they want to turn their life around. But realistically, many don't, and separately we have to accept that a lot of people need to die and it has to happen pretty quickly.
However, small scale executions wouldn't even be a lot of help. Society wouldn't notice the impact and society wouldn't change for the better either. I also don't trust the government enough to decide who lives and who dies. They don't make good decisions anywhere else in law.
I would give those facing life in prison the option to have themselves executed, because I think it's within one's rights to die if there is nothing ahead of them, and there's only the possibility of saving money and resources (albeit not a lot) here for the rest of society.

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
May 17, 2015 11:48 AM

Jul 2013
Astros said:
BlueScarf said:
Yeah, while were at it lets just get rid of our law system and adopt the sharia law and have public executions for drug dealers. I mean they're indirectly responsible for hundreds of deaths a year.

Aka_Saber said:

It differs from state to state really but trials usually cost millions and at times more than one is required. This is not mentioning that keeping prisoners on death row is more costly than shutting them without parole. It's said, which I admit I don't know where the facts are coming from, that typically death row inmates stay on death row for close to a decade before being executed.

And that's why I don't support death row. I think we could think of a better way to rid ourselves of these people. I actually just made a comment about my island idea. Movies give the best ideas as long as you're not stupid enough to try to make a reality show about it like they did.
May 17, 2015 11:50 AM

Oct 2012
Aka_Saber said:
Astros said:
That would honestly depend on how old the person is. If they're in there 50 - 60s and might last only a couple years in a prison setting then sure I can agree. But I don't think life in prison for someone in their early 20s would be cheaper.
It is cheaper because of costly appeals process that ties down prosecution and investigation teams resources. And that is because of the 14th Amendment guaranteeing Due Process to any citizen, and the U.S. notorious history of imprisoning the wrong people for murder, especially racial or religious minorities.

So, things to look into:
1) How the current death penalty process works. (Hint: They do not just line up prisoners and give them a shot to the back of the head)

2) Why it works the way it does? A history primer dating back to the Salem trials, all the way to the last black guy that was released after being in prison for 40 years as a scapegoat a few years ago.

3) Read studies on how notoriously inaccurate witness testimonials are (being in a state of bewilderment makes honest people imagine and seriously believe things that did not happen), and how prosecution tactics could induce innocent people to admit to crimes they did not commit (e.g. good cop, bad cop), and how they could easily appeal to a rigged jury to put an underrepresented suspect in prison.

Any last statements?
Prosecution: "I have just one question to the jury: When you come home at night, and tuck your daughters in bed, or when your children are playing in the playground, would you want this (black) man, wandering around the neighborhood with a hoodie on, looking all shady (because he couldn't afford a suit), who MIGHT (despite no evidence) rape and murder your children?"

Unanimous decision: No.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 17, 2015 11:52 AM

Dec 2013
Aka_Saber said:
And that's why I don't support death row. I think we could think of a better way to rid ourselves of these people. I actually just made a comment about my island idea. Movies give the best ideas as long as you're not stupid enough to try to make a reality show about it like they did.
lol, and you were worried about them escaping earlier. All they would have to do is know where the island is prior and get word to a friend to come pick them up and bam they're back into society.
May 17, 2015 11:57 AM

Oct 2012
teruu said:

TL:DR. Please read the question before showing off your unwanted & unasked for knowledge.

Please read his post before showing off your unwanted & unasked for indifference towards it..?

May 17, 2015 11:57 AM

Jul 2013
Astros said:
Aka_Saber said:
lol, and you were worried about them escaping earlier. All they would have to do is know where the island is prior and get word to a friend to come pick them up and bam they're back into society.

If they live that long. If you leave weapons on the island do you think a killer won't take the chance to kill without penalty? Meh, could shift the flow of money that it would normally take to guard them in prison to coast guard funds. Or heaven forbid put some of our navy out near the island since we do have an insanely large navy.

I think we can spare some man power to keep an eye on one island.
May 17, 2015 12:01 PM

Oct 2012
teruu said:
TL:DR. Please read the question before showing off your unwanted & unasked for knowledge.
Which question, and who made you the forum moderator? TL;DR Don't blame me if you feel inadequate that I'm contributing some basic facts that you don't understand.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 17, 2015 12:03 PM

Jan 2015
KamSung said:
DejWo said:

I was supporting this idea at first but after giving your idea some thought it's way better.

It makes exactly no sense economically, it's in effect slave labor that destroys real jobs, unless of course you want them to do something nonsensical like burying bottles and digging them up again. Then it is just stupid.

The death penalty has by far too many drawbacks in a democratic society, ranging from people who are falsely convicted to the costs when compared to life in prison, to virtually having no public benefit. The only reason why one can credibly argue for the death penalty as public policy is revenge. And I don't have a problem with that argument. It just doesn't outweigh the cons.
May 17, 2015 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
BVerfG said:
KamSung said:

It makes exactly no sense economically, it's in effect slave labor that destroys real jobs, unless of course you want them to do something nonsensical like burying bottles and digging them up again. Then it is just stupid.

Slave labour in essence? Yup.
It destroys real jobs...well,for government it would be more convenient since they would not have to take contracts for some of the jobs,which would cost them less in the end.
May 17, 2015 12:30 PM

Dec 2013
Aka_Saber said:
If they live that long. If you leave weapons on the island do you think a killer won't take the chance to kill without penalty? Meh, could shift the flow of money that it would normally take to guard them in prison to coast guard funds. Or heaven forbid put some of our navy out near the island since we do have an insanely large navy.

I think we can spare some man power to keep an eye on one island.
While it may be true that we have a large navy it's equally true we have the largest military budget in the world. The navies aircraft carriers are no exception to this. It's estimated the conventional carrier has a life cycle maintenance cost of 4-5 billion, yes billion. If we assume they can last 100 years which is being generous I think, that equates to 40 million US dollars a year. This is not accounting for they aren't invulnerable and are susceptible to damage. Now I doubt the inmates could do anything to destroy it but the US has been stupid with military equipment in the past.
AstrosMay 17, 2015 12:34 PM
May 17, 2015 12:57 PM

May 2014
I'm against it, because everyone has a right to live.
And I wouldn't want to live in a country where death penalty is accepted and practised - I'd probably emigrate. =/

GGeo said:
Aka_Saber said:

+1

May 17, 2015 1:03 PM

Mar 2015
If there is irrefutable evidence of their guilt, and they have commited a serious crime, I don't see the problem with putting them down.
May 17, 2015 1:07 PM

Jul 2013
For the most part, I support it. But seeing how justice is a joke and everyday, innocent people are convicted for crimes they didn't commit, I think its better not to have it.
May 17, 2015 1:30 PM

Jan 2009
Totally against. The risk of killing an innocent is too high and you can't bring back someone who died, you know. Plus, one of the premises of the prisons is to try to recover a bad person. Death Penalty kills this literally and I don't believe killing someone is going to bring peace or something.

I support life sentence. It's a better way to punish someone who did something too grievous and the person has the change to recover or do something useful for society, like working in the prison.
bereta002May 17, 2015 6:16 PM
May 17, 2015 1:35 PM

Apr 2012
Involtus said:
Agreed with all this, except "anybody can turn their life around if they want to turn their life around". Psychologically, there's good reason to think that's not the case.

I think that the death penalty is only supportable in circumstances more ideal than the current ones, but still short of the true societal ideal. Meaning, we would need to have a more trustworthy and competent criminal justice/legal system; but also, in a truly ideal society, we'd have the resources to just let dangerous criminals live out their lives in a controlled environment where they pose no risk to others.

As it stands now, I think only the first goal is realistic, and so I do support the death penalty on some level. I think that some people are beyond saving and simply refuse to change. If they're going to spend the rest of their lives being a danger to other inmates and guards, there's no real reason to keep them aroud.
May 17, 2015 1:37 PM

Jun 2014
DejWo said:

butt people want drastic action
All credit goes to Sacred.
May 17, 2015 1:48 PM

Feb 2010
I find it hypocritical of the govt telling people not to kill & at the same time do what they condemn, while they get to legally kill people they dislike in other countries & at home (cops), but cuz they are make the rules no one cares. Thats not even counting the possibility of innocence either. Also justice should not be based around vengeance, even if there are a lot of bloodthirsty people. Also find it funny that most people for it are "pro-life".

TL;DR no one should get to decide who lives & who dies imo.
May 17, 2015 1:50 PM

Dec 2014
DejWo said:

My thoughts on are.. what if they refuse, they should be killed?
May 17, 2015 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
DarkFragBR said:
DejWo said:

My thoughts on are.. what if they refuse, they should be killed?

That is a good question.
But they can be punished without being killed.
May 17, 2015 1:53 PM

Sep 2013
rjimenez said:
Also find it funny that most people for it are "pro-life".

rjimenez said:

So are you "pro-life" then?
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
May 17, 2015 2:34 PM

Oct 2012
Solipsistic said:
Agreed with all this, except "anybody can turn their life around if they want to turn their life around". Psychologically, there's good reason to think that's not the case.

Are you sure?
I'm not saying that it's by any means easy. I haven't seen anything to say that success in reeducation is impossible for a number of willing participants and I'm fairly certain that we'll make powerful strides in knowing the best methods pretty soon.

I'm not advocating the extreme of lobotomy but it's pretty reliable even for unwilling patients. Deep Brain Stimulation is similar but less extreme and causing much less damage; it could prove to be be useful for repeat offenders too, focusing on willing ones.

May 17, 2015 2:39 PM

Feb 2010
Shiratori99 said:
rjimenez said:
Also find it funny that most people for it are "pro-life".

rjimenez said:

So are you "pro-life" then?

Im mostly neutral on that subject leaning slightly to the pro life side, but other people should be able to do what they want regardless of my opinion.
May 17, 2015 2:42 PM

Apr 2008
I don't trust the government with deciding who lives and who dies. The death penalty is irreversible, and I'm against it. It's also more expensive than giving them life in prison because of the extensive appeals process.

Though, it doesn't matter much - in the US, you are far more likely to be killed by police than to be executed. Using numbers going back to 2010, cops killed 3973 people while only 220 were lawfully executed.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» FAvorite philosopher and Why ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 4, 2018

118 by DreamWindow »»
12 minutes ago

» is blocking users a admitance of cowardice?

vasipi4946 - 3 hours ago

6 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
29 minutes ago

» How many of your friends are friends with you just to make fun of you?

LenRea - Yesterday

17 by LoveLikeBlood »»
32 minutes ago

» The Nsider has come back to the forums!

The-Nsider - 12 hours ago

11 by Serafos »»
53 minutes ago

» How are your cooking skills

ST63LTH - 10 hours ago

15 by Serafos »»
53 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.