Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 12, 2015 9:14 PM

Jul 2014
So I thought I understood why, because I kinda hated them too. But the thing is I hated them because I was prejudiced against them, since they stole the roles from the old characters I loved.

But if I set aside my prejudice, I actually think they're really great characters. But from what people are saying here, and they way they talk about how they hope Tri. will retcon 02, it seems a lot of people just really hate the characters, and not for the reasons of prejudice I had, like they complain about their horrible development or call them ripoffs of the original cast.

But I think they have great development and really are well written characters. When I recently rewatched, I really felt like they had subtle, deep, and believable character development. Like sometimes I feel like we expect more change, though we use the word growth, in fictional characters than would be realistic to expect of actual people. But 02 didn't go overboard, it made them feel real.

Like Daisuke, he starts off as a total goofball. And throughout the series, he grows and takes things more seriously, but does so without turning into a totally different person. He forms a friendship with Ken, and there's at least one scene (that I can't remember which one >.<) where everyone's discussing stuff and is surprised by an insightful comment by Daisuke. And by the end, it's Daisuke who shows the strength and bravery to stand up to belialvandemon, even if he is still a bit goofy.

And Iori, who struggles to forgive or even interact with Ken early on. But he grows from there. He sees Takeru's strong opposition to evil without being hateful as an example to follow. He eventually befriends Ken, and attends his christmas party. He learns to accept that others make mistakes and be more forgiving. And at the end, when BelialVandemon's beaten, everyone's forgotten about Oikawa but Iori, who's completely thrown his former animosity towards him away and is desperately trying to help him fulfill his dream and enter the digital world before he dies. (Of course he's also learning to see how those people aren't fully responsible for their mistakes, with Ken influenced by the dark spore and Oikawa by Vandemon) I literally cried during that scene.

Miyako, well okay I didn't think Miyako's character development was as strong as the others. I feel like the female characters in Adventure often got slightly short-changed. Her big thing I guess was her feelings for Ken? And they got married? So great? She had a little bit of a thing with getting closer to Hikari--everyone had a get closer to your jogress partner arc. I kinda headcanon her as suffering from depressive bouts (based on the episode where Agumon's captured but she doesn't feel up to going. Everyone immediately okays her staying and is supportive, it made it seem to me like it must be a somewhat regular thing, that everyone knows sometimes Miyako just feels depressed so when it happens they know to be supportive right away and not push her). This in turn makes her enthusiasm seem a false bravado, which kinda adds to her relationship with Hikari, since she like admires her genuinely serene demeanor. But yeah like I said that's just my headcanon and doesn't excuse the way she's actually written, so I guess I wouldn't argue with people who dislike her.

And Ken seems to be the only one people like so I guess I don't need to defend him.

So what's the deal? Am I just crazy? Does anyone else feel this way?
And when somebody asks if I'm okay
I don't know what to say
May 12, 2015 9:29 PM

Aug 2014
Its because they took the roles of the original cast and many dont know how to accept it. Im sorry, but TK and Hikari are not main character material in my opinion. Too goody goody.

The other soccer guy was just a copy/paste of Tai.

The tall chick was alright, so was Ken Masters.
May 12, 2015 10:29 PM
May 2010
To be honest, if you take away the nostalgia, I wouldn't have liked the original children any more than I would like your typical shounen characters. They are written 'okay', but it's not like they were your Hannibal Lecter or Michael Corleone (a bit extreme, but you get the point). So when the 02 kids came along, it's difficult not to compare them to the 01 kids who were already not that amazing in the first place.

Add in Daisuke/Davis' obnoxiousness, and annoyance is guaranteed by those without patience or nostalgia. Ken is a slightly better version of your average sympathetic emo, but the archetype he was based on hardly warrants much sympathy from typical audiences who have seen his kind all too often in shounen anime (at least Light Yagami was actually badass, not some rebellious punk). I think these two received the most hate among fans; Miyako and Iori were kinda just 'there', standing in the background, and I didn't really care much for them.

All in all though, I think you're probably paying too much heed to the supposed hate. There's a lot more hate going on in other shounen anime, and the Digimon fandom is far from the one that's suffered the worst (or blinded) kind of hatred.
May 12, 2015 10:48 PM

Jul 2014
Well yeah I don't know how it compares to other shounen hate. I was just looking at people in these forums talking about how awful they are and need to be retconed. I haven't really been active in other fandoms.
And when somebody asks if I'm okay
I don't know what to say
May 12, 2015 11:49 PM

Jul 2013
Miyako and Ken were my favorites out of the 02 kids tbh. Miyako was really funny in a unique way that distinguished herself from the original girls/chosen children in general. Ken was emo yeah but I think he got the most development and was one of the more complex characters in the series. I did not ship them but hooray for them getting together since I like them both. :D

Daisuke was way too loud and obnoxious for me. Probably my least favorite out of them all. I guess he did grow a bit by the end but iirc he was just so vapid that even the way he managed to save everyone in the end of 02 was just "lol i dunno i guess i'm just not afraid of anything."

Iori was just bland for me. I never really paid attention during episodes focusing on his character or his story. I did like his friendship with Armadimon though which was cute.

So really it's Daisuke and Iori, but I can see why some people don't like any of them. If I had to rank the 02 characters it'd be:

1. Takeru
2. Hikari
3. Miyako
4. Ken
5. Iori
6. Daisuke
May 13, 2015 12:35 PM
Oct 2012
i always thought the characters were okay, it was the story that's messed up.
feels less 'adventure' than the original + it gets super weird once it reach christmas arc
May 13, 2015 3:05 PM

Jan 2015
It's just here. A lot of people like 02 and if not more than 01. It's just dumb fanboys who thinks 01 was the best thing ever when it has plenty of faults and plot holes itself like people ignore here.
May 13, 2015 3:09 PM
May 2010
MrKai23 said:
It's just here. A lot of people like 02 and if not more than 01. It's just dumb fanboys who thinks 01 was the best thing ever when it has plenty of faults and plot holes itself like people ignore here.

Every shounen has plenty of faults. It's just that some have more than the others, like 02.
OminousWrexMay 13, 2015 9:29 PM
May 15, 2015 9:01 PM

Sep 2010
Actually Davis is my favorite of all the Digidestined children from the franchise as a whole.

Yolei was okay and so was Cody they weren't as interesting to me as a kid.

I can understand the hate though for this series its writing wasn't as good as the first one and the epilogue was stupid.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 16, 2015 7:47 PM

May 2009
I personally liked all of the 02 kids. Daisuke is one of my favorite Goggleboys, Takato from Tamers being the other.
May 17, 2015 2:11 AM

Jul 2014
Just like other people say, I think it's because of nostalgia. I personally didn't mind them, and Daisuke is one of my favorite characters in the series.
What a beautiful Duwang.
May 21, 2017 11:46 PM

Apr 2017
Ken was OK until he became a weak fag like everybody else.
Yolei was annoying and dumb.
Kodi tried to be a ripoff of Koushiro-han but failed miserably.
Daisuke is stupid, dumb, annoying, Hikari hates him yet he insists, and weak. But at least he lacks brain enough to go to battle straightforward.

TK should have been the leader there.
Hikari is OK. Should have been the right arm of TK.

We hate them because they are weak and dumb. Because they failed to kill their enemies, so they were almost killed by them.
We hate them because 01 kids did a great portion of their homework to save them and help them, yet 01 somehow are not the main ones.
We hate them because 01 kids were smarter, braver, and actually solved everything by themselves almost without external help. 02 are so dependant that they can hop in and out wherever they want. Just lazy and gay.

Hope they stay dead forever.
--------
May 25, 2017 6:09 AM
Mar 2016
argentino_kek said:
Ken was OK until he became a weak fag like everybody else.
Yolei was annoying and dumb.
Kodi tried to be a ripoff of Koushiro-han but failed miserably.
Daisuke is stupid, dumb, annoying, Hikari hates him yet he insists, and weak. But at least he lacks brain enough to go to battle straightforward.

TK should have been the leader there.
Hikari is OK. Should have been the right arm of TK.

We hate them because they are weak and dumb. Because they failed to kill their enemies, so they were almost killed by them.
We hate them because 01 kids did a great portion of their homework to save them and help them, yet 01 somehow are not the main ones.
We hate them because 01 kids were smarter, braver, and actually solved everything by themselves almost without external help. 02 are so dependant that they can hop in and out wherever they want. Just lazy and gay.

Hope they stay dead forever.
nice try nostalgia fag..P.S.: fuck you for talking shit about the 02 kids
May 25, 2017 12:12 PM

Aug 2016
It didn't help that Digimon Adventure 02 tried to have the next generation of Digidestined be a near exact blend of the first gen of Digidestined through the crests (Davis with courage and friendship, Yolei with love and sincerity, and Cody with knowledge and reliability). They all felt like cheap copies just for the sake of a continuation.

The only character in that series I liked was Ken. I never cared for TK and Kari in the original adventures, so them playing a bigger role did nothing positive for me. In terms of Digimon Adventures 01, I don't like much of the Digidestined either. I liked Tai, Izzy, and Joe. That's it.

Outside of the humans, I actually enjoyed the Digimon and their designs. Most of them look pretty good with their armored evolutions. So if you count those as characters, then I don't hate them

And no, it's not nostalgia for me because I rewatched both of them.
May 31, 2017 7:17 AM

Apr 2017
KingArti said:

Nice arguments there. Shocked me to read such incredible text.

02 kids were weak and lack courage, except for Daisuke (who was quite dumb and annoying, evidenced by Hikari for example).

01 kids were really golden. They resisted in the middle of nowhere, with monsters trying to kill them, without food, water, clean clothes, bathrooms, parents. Yet they persisted and killed (i.e. KILLED) their enemies before they kill the kids.
--------
Jun 18, 2017 7:12 PM

Mar 2015
argentino_kek said:
KingArti said:

02 kids were weak and lack courage, except for Daisuke (who was quite dumb and annoying, evidenced by Hikari for example).

01 kids were really golden. They resisted in the middle of nowhere, with monsters trying to kill them, without food, water, clean clothes, bathrooms, parents. Yet they persisted and killed (i.e. KILLED) their enemies before they kill the kids.

Are the nostalgia goggles too tight over your head or something? Watch 1 again, there were multiple moments where the kids lacked courage or where they didn't kill their enemies.
Sep 17, 2017 8:02 PM

Apr 2017
MightyM16 said:
argentino_kek said:

Are the nostalgia goggles too tight over your head or something? Watch 1 again, there were multiple moments where the kids lacked courage or where they didn't kill their enemies.

Most of the time they plain killed their enemies.
Of course if it is unnecessary, they won't kill a relatively harmless creature. Example: the sea turtle that attacked Taichi.

However, when an absolute evil creature threatened them, they didn't hessitate to do what's necessary. Example: Devimon

I might get too nostalgic, but compared to S2 kids, i prefer 01 by a lot. Their achievements are much greater than 02 (which many times needed 01 kids assistance).
Don't want to start bitching about 02 kids (again), but i'm just glad they "were defeated" in Tri, so they won't steal airtime from the main ones in this series, while at the same time the creators acknowledge their existance by showing them for a few seconds and because of Hikari / Takeru D3 device.
--------
Sep 18, 2017 4:03 AM

Mar 2015
argentino_kek said:
MightyM16 said:

Of course if it is unnecessary, they won't kill a relatively harmless creature. Example: the sea turtle that attacked Taichi.

However, when an absolute evil creature threatened them, they didn't hessitate to do what's necessary. Example: Devimon

I might get too nostalgic, but compared to S2 kids, i prefer 01 by a lot. Their achievements are much greater than 02 (which many times needed 01 kids assistance).

Debatable.

Don't want to start bitching about 02 kids (again), but i'm just glad they "were defeated" in Tri, so they won't steal airtime from the main ones in this series, while at the same time the creators acknowledge their existance by showing them for a few seconds and because of Hikari / Takeru D3 device.

And then you have Mei. I'd honestly wish for any 02 kid to be there over her.
Nov 24, 2017 5:30 AM
Mar 2016
MightyM16 said:
argentino_kek said:

Debatable.

And then you have Mei. I'd honestly wish for any 02 kid to be there over her.
Exactly... Meiko sucks, the 02 kids are way better than that mary sue -_-
Jan 21, 2018 10:56 PM

Oct 2017
No idea, I always liked the 02 characters, never got the hate. In general Digimon Adventure 02 was very good. Far better than the shit that is Tri
May 25, 2018 12:48 AM
Feb 2013
Daisuke, Iori and Miyako are all just composite characters of their original crest bearers from Adventure. Takeru and Hikari are fine but they never interested me much. Ken is a a good character but they actually made Daisuke get very little character development to contrast with him. Would have been nice if Takeru was the leader instead of the hotheaded goggle boy like they always do.
Jul 28, 2022 12:55 AM
Jan 2017
My personal problems with Digimon Adventure 02 after rewatching it:

- The Crests are literally nothing but Digivolution purposes, which aren't even used again as soon as they have their Adult/Champion Digivolutions.
    - Ken didn't have his Crest,which could have been either Crest of Friendship or, especially, Crest of Knowledge.
    - Daisuke's partner for DNA Digivolution should have been Takeru which would make Daisuke able to accept why Hikari fell for Takeru and consider him not just a friend but equal, and Takeru to understand how Yamato felt towards Taichi.
    - Ken's DNA Digivolution partner, on the other hand, should have been Iori. That could have made some moments of redemption for Ken, and character development for Iori.
    - This is the problem I also have with 01. Only one or two characters get to have Ultimate/Mega Digivolutions. Sylphymon and Shakkomon should have evolved to Valkyriemon and ClavisAngemon, respectively, even if they don't get other modes like Imperialdramon has.
    - This one is my biggest problem: Wargreymon vs BlackWargreymon SHOULD REALLY NOT HAVE been interrupted by Imperialdramon FM. Doesn't even matter if BWG won the fight, and then got its ass kicked by Shakkomon, and then by Qinglongmon, or WG won the fight but BWG somehow escaped, only to be defeated by Shakkomon, and then by Qinglongmon.
    - Speaking of Imperialdramon FM, instead of having it helping WG against BWG, it would be great if there was BlackMetalGarurumon joggressing with BWG to become Omegamon Zwart, and IFM fought it to a stand still.
    - Arukenimon and Mummymon had the potential to be both a menacing duo and a comedically iconic duo, but then they suffered such fate.
    - It should have been Daemon who became the final boss of 02, especially if it's Daisuke and Takeru. If not Daisuke and Takeru, this should have been the moment where Magnamon once again apprars, as well as whatever Wormmon digivolve to with Digi-Egg of Miracles.

I think that's it, though I may edit this post later on.
IAmOdieJul 28, 2022 12:58 AM
Gintoki and Joseph ftw!
Also, STR or DEX? Quality build, of course!
Aug 27, 2023 11:42 PM

Nov 2012
the 01 cast are definitely much more iconic, but I love the 02 cast too, and really we were lucky it was a direct continuation and we could still see a lot of the 01 cast (2 even as main roles!) it could've been an entirely new/separate gen like the other series, I feel like people get greedy when they say stuff like that "they stole roles from 01 cast" etc. 
Funnily enough Tri/the other new 01 projects could see the 02 cast in the perfect role for me, as sort of back-up secondary digidestined and supporting roles. I'd like to see them included anyway and continuing to be friends with the 01 cast. I wasn't a fan of them not even being seen or mentioned in the first Tri tbh, hopefully they show up eventually!
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you like the character design in Tri? ( 1 2 3 )

cro3 - Feb 20, 2015

106 by JVskunkape »»
Aug 28, 2023 12:48 AM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure tri. Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2015

343 by JVskunkape »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:30 PM

» Can I watch this without watching any of the previous Digimons ?

reyqq - Sep 15, 2021

9 by Ducksama14 »»
Apr 2, 2022 9:30 PM

» Plot holes in 02?

cro3 - Mar 16, 2015

29 by Ducksama14 »»
Apr 2, 2022 9:25 PM

Poll: » sora ( 1 2 )

ninjastarforcex - Dec 15, 2014

81 by StormxNightmare »»
Dec 3, 2020 8:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.