Forum Settings
Forums

Who is the most overrated music artist and why do you think so?

New
May 7, 2015 10:58 PM

Nov 2011
When I think of overrated music artists several come to mind. Metallica, Slayer, Guns n Roses, Nine inch nails, Nirvana, Radiohead, and The Sex Pistols are bands I think of. If I had to choose I might go with Radiohead do to the difference between the quality of their music and the level they are held to by their fans. Then again Sex Pistols were absolutely worthless.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 7, 2015 11:01 PM

Apr 2014
The Beatles

I said it.
May 7, 2015 11:12 PM

Nov 2011
Protaku94 said:
The Beatles

I said it.
Now tell us why.
May 7, 2015 11:12 PM

Mar 2012
The Beatles and Death Grips are the two most overrated bands in existence.
May 7, 2015 11:18 PM
Jul 2012
Shimapan-chan said:
The Beatles and Death Grips are the two most overrated bands in existence.

Death Grips is hardly overrated in comparison to bands like Pink Floyd and the Beatles.

But I do agree that Death Grips is pretty overrated.
May 7, 2015 11:23 PM

Apr 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Protaku94 said:
The Beatles

I said it.
Now tell us why.

It's basically boy band music of the 60's. Not sure why their hype lasted way past their prime. They didn't even last long.
May 7, 2015 11:29 PM

Dec 2014
Protaku94 said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
Now tell us why.

It's basically boy band music of the 60's. Not sure why their hype lasted way past their prime. They didn't even last long.

I agree.

I thought Led Zeppelin was overrated.
May 7, 2015 11:40 PM

Nov 2011
Protaku94 said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
Now tell us why.

The Beatles are still popular because of their ability to succesfully combine experimental and avant garde elements into accessible pop tunes. Unlike most bands they didn't repeat the same ideas over and over they were always generally doing something different. At least that's true for later Beatles. Helter Skelter though was the farthest thing from boy band music.
May 8, 2015 1:21 AM

Jan 2015
The Beatles are cultural war criminals and finished the job of two world wars by, along with R. Zimmerman putting the final nails in the coffin of western civilisation and conventional decency / normality. The musical versions of Picasshole and Pollack.

Having said that, Radiohead. Their popularity and acclaim confirm that today's white boys are a bunch of single parent raised pussified low self-esteemed victim mentality nancy boys
May 8, 2015 1:27 AM

Dec 2014
FahtahSensei said:
The Beatles are cultural war criminals and finished the job of two world wars by, along with R. Zimmerman putting the final nails in the coffin of western civilisation and conventional decency / normality. The musical versions of Picasshole and Pollack.

Having said that, Radiohead. Their popularity and acclaim confirm that today's white boys are a bunch of single parent raised pussified low self-esteemed victim mentality nancy boys

Idk why I laughed. The way you said that was hilarious for some reason.
May 8, 2015 1:28 AM

Jan 2015
Bloodshade said:
FahtahSensei said:

Idk why I laughed. The way you said that was hilarious for some reason.

I mean subversive humour usually. But thankyou for your patronage.
FahtahSenseiMay 8, 2015 3:27 AM
May 8, 2015 1:29 AM

Nov 2013
the bieber, must be him.
mitch3315 said:
Sasuke and Naruto kissed, show is obviously hardcore yaoi.
May 8, 2015 1:30 AM

Nov 2011
teh_C said:
the bieber, must be him.
But no one likes him. Hell he's largely been forgotten.
May 8, 2015 2:59 AM

Apr 2014
Bob Dylan. Everything else aside, he's the worst sounding music to be that praised to the heavens.
May 8, 2015 3:25 AM

Jan 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
teh_C said:
the bieber, must be him.
But no one likes him. Hell he's largely been forgotten.

He still serves a purpose as a pop star universally hated on.
May 8, 2015 3:29 AM

Sep 2014
the beatles because they are not memorable at all and not a single song caught my attention and i can never understand the praise
motorhead because they are just fucking boring and just way too repetitive
RHCP is just overall bad and i cant enjoy most of their songs at all
Slash is also grossly overrated, although I do like Guns n roses, a tleast the appetite for destruction album
ImaishiMay 8, 2015 3:33 AM
May 8, 2015 5:29 AM

Jan 2015
Forgot to mention NMH. Wish I hadn't now.
May 8, 2015 5:32 AM

Jan 2015
Nickelback

(w8ting 4 fanboys to come)
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
May 8, 2015 5:37 AM

Apr 2014
Imaishi said:
the beatles because they are not memorable at all and not a single song caught my attention and i can never understand the praise

There are valid complaints about the Beatles, but "not being memorable" is not one of them. Even if you don't like the songs, I bet you can still easily remember a lot of them.
May 8, 2015 5:37 AM

Jan 2015
Jennifer Lopez
Lately she started following the mainstream line of shaking her latino ass and singing about sex, booty and romance. Yet her fans continue to describe her music as good.
May 8, 2015 5:39 AM

Jan 2013
I was one of those saying that the Beatles were overrated, then I actually started to pay attention to their music and god was I wrong...

So 'overrated' in this thread means 'an artist that many people like but I don't', if that's the case then there are tons and tons of them, but I'll just go with Yes.

And Dream Fucking Theater.
I'm a self-taught composer, and here you can find the tracks I've composed so far:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kiusdexra

https://soundcloud.com/marko-poskurica

A single click on each one of them would make me really happy!

If you want to make any comment or critic, do it on my profile or as a comment on youtube / soundcloud!
May 8, 2015 7:03 AM

Feb 2015
Remv_quevav said:
Nickelback

(w8ting 4 fanboys to come)

Aren't Nickelback not hated though?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2015 7:07 AM
Oct 2012
Protaku94 said:
The Beatles

I said it.

Lol. No.
May 8, 2015 7:22 AM

Jan 2013
highspot said:

Pink Floyd - I just don't get it.

What do you not get?
I'm a self-taught composer, and here you can find the tracks I've composed so far:

If you want to make any comment or critic, do it on my profile or as a comment on youtube / soundcloud!
May 8, 2015 7:43 AM

Nov 2011
Propu said:
I was one of those saying that the Beatles were overrated, then I actually started to pay attention to their music and god was I wrong...

So 'overrated' in this thread means 'an artist that many people like but I don't', if that's the case then there are tons and tons of them, but I'll just go with Yes.

And Dream Fucking Theater.
Agree with Dream Theater. Fates Warning was easily superior. I do like Yes a lot but they aren't the best prog band ever.
May 8, 2015 7:45 AM

Sep 2014
oh and how could I forget

Lana del rey and Adele are both so goddamn overrated I just can't comprehend it
May 8, 2015 7:50 AM

Jan 2015
If it was today, mostly pop artists like Ariana G., One D., Justin B., etc. etc. Mostly the reason was the fandoms, fanbases, blah blah and how most of their music was mostly for the teens and some songs are somehow irrelevant to others

May 8, 2015 8:07 AM

Jun 2013
From a guy who loves pop punk and punk rock, an overrated one is 5 Seconds of Summer. Sure they have SOME good songs but they are not as good as what people make them to be. I heard their covers of Green Day's American Idiot and blink-182's I Miss You, I thought they were horrendous. Their self-titled album didn't do much justice either, it was bland. And their fanbase is soooo fucking annoying, if they didn't possess the boy band and handsome look, no one would give a shit.

I think Radiohead is also overrated. I love them, but they're just not as good as some make them out to be. OK Computer is a fucking amazing album though.
May 8, 2015 8:11 AM

Jan 2015
Radiene said:
From a guy who loves pop punk and punk rock, an overrated one is 5 Seconds of Summer. Sure they have SOME good songs but they are not as good as what people make them to be. I heard their covers of Green Day's American Idiot and blink-182's I Miss You, I thought they were horrendous. Their self-titled album didn't do much justice either, it was bland. And their fanbase is soooo fucking annoying, if they didn't possess the boy band and handsome look, no one would give a shit.

+1 since they were looked up as an "IDOL" not a "BAND" itself. I agree that fandoms really are annoying where 95% of it are girls...obsessed, willing-to-die fans.
May 8, 2015 8:25 AM

Feb 2014
highspot said:
Propu said:

What do you not get?
Their popularity I guess. Maybe I just don't like their version of psychedelic/prog rock. It's not that I particularly dislike them, it's just when I hear a bunch of my friends over the years talk about how great they are I just don't understand how they are that much better than some of their contemporaries. My view is just based on taste though, I understand that they've been wildly influential.

They're the best.

OP, why are your threads always so negative lmao?
Where the fuck did Monday go?
May 8, 2015 9:36 AM

Jan 2013
highspot said:
Propu said:

What do you not get?
Their popularity I guess. Maybe I just don't like their version of psychedelic/prog rock. It's not that I particularly dislike them, it's just when I hear a bunch of my friends over the years talk about how great they are I just don't understand how they are that much better than some of their contemporaries. My view is just based on taste though, I understand that they've been wildly influential.

I understand and well, Pink Floyd have been pretty immense in most of the fields... And more than influential their influences were pretty impressive, if you take a look at Ummagumma, for example. I think they are easily one of the most complete bands of their era, hence their popularity and widespread praise.

But as I mentioned earlier, 'overrated' really means 'stuff people like that I don't'. It should actually be 'stuff that people think is well done that I don't because of *reasons*'.

May 8, 2015 9:51 AM

Jan 2013
y123y said:
Everyone after 2005

AKA the Youtube era.

And the reason is..?

May 8, 2015 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
Brand New - I actually really like their music, but I'm almost certain their singer could just fart into a microphone for an entire album and people would still give it a 9/10 for being liek so orijinul. Their fanbase is super cancerous.

The Killers - I like a few of their songs, but I never understood what really separated them from all the other new wave influenced rock that came out around the same time. Plus, their singer is a complete narcissist.

Imagine Dragons - Every single time I hear one of their songs, I have to do a double take to make sure I'm not just hearing Coldplay.
May 8, 2015 10:14 AM

Nov 2011
DarkStarr96 said:
highspot said:

They're the best.

They're not?
May 8, 2015 10:15 AM

Apr 2015
Propu said:
But as I mentioned earlier, 'overrated' really means 'stuff people like that I don't'. It should actually be 'stuff that people think is well done that I don't because of *reasons*'.
Fair enough. When you put it like that it makes sense.

To me "overrated" just means a disproportionate amount of people think something is great or exceptional when I don't really see or understand the appeal or their reasons. I mean, if someone says a band is phenomenal, then I would expect them to provide reasons for why they think that. Any way you look at it I think it still basically comes down to opinion though.

Like your example of Dream Theater. I love them. I don't think they're overrated. I think they are all talented musicians (considering the original core studied at the Berklee College of Music I think that's a pretty valid opinion) and I enjoy the music they make. I don't really think they've achieved a level of fame or success that is disproportionate to the work and skill they've put into their music. I mean, what was their biggest attempt at mainstream success? "Pull Me Under"? Images and Words was their only studio album to go gold (other than Awake going platinum in Japan), so I don't understand the reasons for someone calling them overrated.

Why do you think Dream Theater is overrated?

(Sorry if that was a little long-winded, I really like Dream Theater! Ha!)
May 8, 2015 10:20 AM

Nov 2011
highspot said:
Propu said:
Fair enough. When you put it like that it makes sense.

To me "overrated" just means a disproportionate amount of people think something is great or exceptional when I don't really see or understand the appeal or their reasons. I mean, if someone says a band is phenomenal, then I would expect them to provide reasons for why they think that. Any way you look at it I think it still basically comes down to opinion though.

Like your example of Dream Theater. I love them. I don't think they're overrated. I think they are all talented musicians (considering the original core studied at the Berklee College of Music I think that's a pretty valid opinion) and I enjoy the music they make. I don't really think they've achieved a level of fame or success that is disproportionate to the work and skill they've put into their music. I mean, what was their biggest attempt at mainstream success? "Pull Me Under"? Images and Words was their only studio album to go gold (other than Awake going platinum in Japan), so I don't understand the reasons for someone calling them overrated.

Why do you think Dream Theater is overrated?

(Sorry if that was a little long-winded, I really like Dream Theater! Ha!)

Because Fates Warning was better :)
May 8, 2015 10:26 AM

Aug 2014
Propu said:
y123y said:
Everyone after 2005

AKA the Youtube era.

And the reason is..?

Im just joking around. I dont mean it.

I saw your channel and heard some of your songs, really good. I liked Pianto Nel Vuoto.
May 8, 2015 10:28 AM

Feb 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
DarkStarr96 said:

They're the best.

They're not?

Okay.

Why are most of your threads so negative?
Where the fuck did Monday go?
May 8, 2015 10:29 AM

Apr 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Ha, okay, point taken. But it's not like they're competing with each other. Mike Portnoy even credits them for helping establish prog metal. Could it be that Fates Warning is underrated and Dream Theater just looks overrated by comparison?
May 8, 2015 10:30 AM

Nov 2008
Off the top of my head, Radiohead. They're boring. I think the only album I like is Kid A.

May 8, 2015 10:31 AM

Jan 2013
@highspot: Glad you asked.

Dream Theater is a really good band, don't misunderstand me. People may not like Petrucci's shreds, LaBrie's vocal timbre, Portnoy's style or Myung's bass lines, but saying that they are not 'good musicians', that's not an opinion, that's a wrong statement. And I do think they are good.

My problem with Dream Theater is that whenever people think of 'Progressive Metal', they are the first thing to come to people's mind, they are the ultimate icon of a genre that has so many variations and styles that shouldn't be considered just a genre at all.

Also, about their style... In some other thread, several days ago, I said that I find wrong, for a composer, to add things in his / her composition meant to prove something to someone else - in this case to prove how good every member of Dream Theater is, musically, with their instrument. And I think they do it a lot, too much for my tastes.

To me, the band that mostly defines Prog Metal, although I consider them more Prog Rock-ish, is Pain Of Salvation. Composition-wise I think they are unmatched at the moment, they may be less talented musically (except Daniel Gildenlow aka GOD), but that's the point: you don't NEED to be extremely talented to create good music.

So, to conclude this long post, I do appreciate Dream Theater, they are good, but their popularity puts them in a place where they don't belong - the icons of Progressive Metal. They may be (and probably are) the icons of all the Dream Theater-inspired bands, who follow their style and you can tell these bands apart pretty easily, Seventh Wonder is the first one that comes to my mind, Shadow Gallery to some extent but they are quite standalone as well and many many others... But I don't think they are good, diverse and versatile enough to represent all of Progressive Metal.

May 8, 2015 10:37 AM
Feb 2011
AC/DC is the first that comes to mind.
Like I listened to all of their albums a couple of times and I kinda like at least some of the songs, but damn, to me, like 80% of their songs sound pretty much the same and I can't handle listening to them for more than 1 hour since they simple seem repetitive.
May 8, 2015 10:48 AM

Apr 2015
Propu, I can understand that. You have some very good reasons. When you frame it as them being the icons of a diverse genre that makes sense. I guess I just haven't had the experience of having most of the people I talk to think that way.

I kind of disagree with your thoughts about them adding things just to prove how talented they are though. One of the things that drew me to the band initially was Portnoy's drumming. I just don't see them as trying to prove something, but I can see why you do.

And yes, you're completely correct that you don't have to technically talented to make good music (for example I love The Ramones too).

I guess I'm just always surprised when I come across someone who says Dream Theater is extremely popular (to the level you stated) or the icon of a genre. Maybe I just need to get out more.
May 8, 2015 10:53 AM

Nov 2011
highspot said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
Ha, okay, point taken. But it's not like they're competing with each other. Mike Portnoy even credits them for helping establish prog metal. Could it be that Fates Warning is underrated and Dream Theater just looks overrated by comparison?

Maybe. I just find it annoying when prog metal is brought up people immediately think of Dream Theater and overlook Fates Warning and Voivod.

Propu said:
@highspot: Glad you asked.

Dream Theater is a really good band, don't misunderstand me. People may not like Petrucci's shreds, LaBrie's vocal timbre, Portnoy's style or Myung's bass lines, but saying that they are not 'good musicians', that's not an opinion, that's a wrong statement. And I do think they are good.

My problem with Dream Theater is that whenever people think of 'Progressive Metal', they are the first thing to come to people's mind, they are the ultimate icon of a genre that has so many variations and styles that shouldn't be considered just a genre at all.

Also, about their style... In some other thread, several days ago, I said that I find wrong, for a composer, to add things in his / her composition meant to prove something to someone else - in this case to prove how good every member of Dream Theater is, musically, with their instrument. And I think they do it a lot, too much for my tastes.

To me, the band that mostly defines Prog Metal, although I consider them more Prog Rock-ish, is Pain Of Salvation. Composition-wise I think they are unmatched at the moment, they may be less talented musically (except Daniel Gildenlow aka GOD), but that's the point: you don't NEED to be extremely talented to create good music.

So, to conclude this long post, I do appreciate Dream Theater, they are good, but their popularity puts them in a place where they don't belong - the icons of Progressive Metal. They may be (and probably are) the icons of all the Dream Theater-inspired bands, who follow their style and you can tell these bands apart pretty easily, Seventh Wonder is the first one that comes to my mind, Shadow Gallery to some extent but they are quite standalone as well and many many others... But I don't think they are good, diverse and versatile enough to represent all of Progressive Metal.
The icon for prog metal should be either Fates Warning or Voivod. Prog rock was better than prog metal though tbh.
May 8, 2015 10:59 AM

Jan 2013
Well, of course Dream Theater is not as popular a most mainstream bands of their era, but I think it's unarguable that they are the most popular Progressive Band group of all times. That's why I consider them 'extremely popular', I'm referring exclusively to the progressive metal genre.

@Waifu_Strangler: I like how you're saying 'was' about prog rock.

May 8, 2015 11:00 AM

Apr 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
The icon for prog metal should be either Fates Warning or Voivod. Prog rock was better than prog metal though tbh.
Yeah, maybe. I think the whole idea of establishing "genres" and having icons for those genres is kind of silly anyway. Music is music. Like Propu said, there are so many variations of even prog metal that the label kind of loses meaning anyway.
May 8, 2015 11:00 AM

Apr 2015
Propu said:
Well, of course Dream Theater is not as popular a most mainstream bands of their era, but I think it's unarguable that they are the most popular Progressive Band group of all times. That's why I consider them 'extremely popular', I'm referring exclusively to the progressive metal genre.
Fair enough.
May 8, 2015 11:09 AM

Jan 2013
I used to be very against the whole idea of 'genre'. It didn't make sense to me, because in some ways it limits an artist's creativity. I mean, how stupid is it to say 'let's make a folk metal song' and as you start to compose at a certain point you listen to your work and you say 'shit I like it but it doesn't really sound folk metalish, I should change something'. It blows my mind to how much it doesn't make sense.
Also, I can't stand people bashing an artist's work for going off the road from his / her original and most successful ones. The perfect example, as far as I'm concerned, for this is Pain Of Salvation and all of the fans' disappointment for their last albums, especially Road Salt One and Two. 'This is not prog so it's not PoS' I swear shit like that still drives me mad to how stupid it is.

May 8, 2015 11:09 AM

Nov 2011
Propu said:

@Waifu_Strangler: I like how you're saying 'was' about prog rock.

Prog rock isn't really the same anymore. Nowadays we have crap like Porcupine tree.
May 8, 2015 11:14 AM

Jan 2013
It surely isn't the same but I don't really think it got any worse. It's just different. I don't like Porcupine Tree either but there are plenty of bands that live up or even surpass the big names of classic prog rock.

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7849 by dreamingneon »»
4 hours ago

» Opinions on Dracula by Bram Stoker

Absurdo_N - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Absurdo_N »»
8 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3523 by dreamingneon »»
11 hours ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4847 by Kizuki01 »»
11 hours ago

» last.fm

Eikonomachia - Mar 8

17 by Kizuki01 »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.