Forum Settings
Forums

There's a difference between a badly written character, and an unlikable character

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 1, 2015 3:58 AM

Oct 2009
NudeBear said:

azzuRe said:
Makoto is poorly developed character imo. Sekai and Kotonoha roles is stronger throughout the whole series to the point that the whole story is actually about the conflict between those two.

Makoto's conflict was a battle between his lust, and love. Part of the whole reason for his self-loathing was because he hated himself for choosing his lust over Kotonoha. He knew he was being a shitty person. He wanted to stop, but he also couldn't and didn't want to at the same time. Near the end, when he embraces Kotonoha, he came to terms with his own shitty decisions and decided to change his way. He began to look at Kotonoha as person, not an object to fulfill his lust and desires. He was preparing to change himself into a better person. Makoto was a shitty person because his writers intended him to be so. His shittyness was an influence to all major plot points in the show. Neglecting Kotonoha contributed to her mental breakdown, his mistreatment of Sekai revealed her darkest side, and tempted her to act upon it. In School Days, Makoto served the purpose his writers intended him to serve. More people seem to be confusing "development into a despicable person" with "poor development." What happened in the show was anything but that.

Also, this thread is not about Makoto. Sure it was inspired by him, and I only brought him in to the topic in order exemplify my poorly written point. Again, he is anything but poorly developed. It's more like his character went towards a direction you weren't comfortable with, and that's the point I'm trying to express here. We should stop confusing and projecting our preferences when it comes to literary analysis.

I'm not saying how the author develops his character to be 'despicable' as the basis for the poor development. I'm just stating that throughout the series he is the one least developed in terms of complexity, conflicts, and its drama.

From my point of view he is the main plot device just like any other harems, granted as the purpose of him as the center of the harem almost everything in the plot revolves around him, of course there are some exceptions like what happened with Kotonoha during the festival. His role as the main device has dragged the whole story tied to the development of his character and his decisions, even until the near end of the series Makoto did not move from his disposition* in order to brew drama and conflicts between the two main heroine. Only when the pool is starting to overflow he is there to tip the balance (that the author playfully maintained by his stalled realization), status quo no longer and you've got the School Days ending. Yadayada.

It is poorly developed in the sense of the author intentional use of his character (stalled) development to drive the entire show, he only changed to progress the plot forward. But hey, at least he is better than most indecisive harem MC out there.

Spoilers*
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
May 1, 2015 4:11 AM

Feb 2015
There is diference but there are examples of both badly writen and unlikable character/characters at same time.

BlueKite said:
I initially hated Shinji from EVA at first, but after some time I realize that he is a well made character.

It is Oposite with me i understanded him during whole evangelion, and he did grow as a character he explained himself he was brave when situation asked for it he did have balls but then....

EOE happened he destroyed every bit of progression he had, turned into full on pussy mode again despite already surviving many hard moments before.

And only good thing he did in EOE was fapping too asuka (too prove he is still not 100% fag and waste of space at end)

Even though he was needed the whole time since he was strongest when he wasnt hammering himself with self pity.

May 1, 2015 4:11 AM

Mar 2014
[quote=Syndromic]
sullynathan said:
Thus I have proven than Naruto is a better character than Makoto.

So to you Goku is a well-written character? At least you should have picked that main character from Gurren Lagunn.

Salty
eturnity said:
sullynathan said:

Naruto has great character development and actually accomplishes his goals, Makoto does not and he's incredibly naive.

Makoto wants to be a popular guy with the girls, he accomplished that goal in 12 episodes.
sullynathan said:

Naruto grew with the story, he evolved. Certain things like the death of Jiraiya affected him deeply and made him mature as a human being.

Makoto grew with the story. The girl with a crush on during middle school affected him deeply and ended up sleeping with during the school festival made him confident as a human being.
sullynathan said:

Makoto doesn't mature, he sleeps with every woman he comes across and these ho's gave up the pussy too easily. Even the one that was an upper classmen. He never even though about pregnancy or STD's until it was too late.

Compared to how he was in the beginning of the anime where he doesn't have the balls to ask out the girl he likes, and ends up being able to manipulate a girl into joining a 4 some, that is some maturity.
sullynathan said:

Naruto got more powerful as the story went on and became one of the most powerful characters in his Verse.

Typical shounen 200+ episode series nothing impressive.
sullynathan said:

Makoto became less physically active yo the point that he stood there and let a little girl stab him.

He got stabbed unexpectedly from the back, sadly not everyone can run when they have a knife wound that reached their internal organs
sullynathan said:

Thus I have proven than Naruto is a better character than Makoto.

All that you have proved is that Naruto is a more likable character than Makoto, even though he is a really typical shounen MC.

You're completely wrong in every way.
May 22, 2015 11:48 PM
Jan 2013
Exowave said:
There is diference but there are examples of both badly writen and unlikable character/characters at same time.

BlueKite said:
I initially hated Shinji from EVA at first, but after some time I realize that he is a well made character.

It is Oposite with me i understanded him during whole evangelion, and he did grow as a character he explained himself he was brave when situation asked for it he did have balls but then....

EOE happened he destroyed every bit of progression he had, turned into full on pussy mode again despite already surviving many hard moments before.

And only good thing he did in EOE was fapping too asuka (too prove he is still not 100% fag and waste of space at end)

Even though he was needed the whole time since he was strongest when he wasnt hammering himself with self pity.

This .Shinji IS a poorly written character.

His mom literally saves him,at some point as a deus ex.

He is so inconsistent in tone,it became harder to take anything seriously as the show went on.

May 23, 2015 12:26 AM

Oct 2014
I completely agree. Many people consider Shinji a bad character just because he is unlikable while he is actually one of the best written protagonists. On the other hand many people think characters like Levi and Okabe are great characters just because they're badass or jocular when there is nothing profound about them.
May 23, 2015 2:01 AM

Aug 2014
Some characters aren't meant to be liked.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
May 23, 2015 9:28 AM

Oct 2013
Tareq said:
I completely agree. Many people consider Shinji a bad character just because he is unlikable while he is actually one of the best written protagonists. On the other hand many people think characters like Levi and Okabe are great characters just because they're badass or jocular when there is nothing profound about them.

I don't think a character has to be as whiny as shinji or need to be develop the same way as Shinji, to be considered a great character.

Even if characters like Levi haven't got any development in the 1st season. People can still call him great for the role he has in the story, and how great he's in that role. So yes, people aren't wrong when they call Levi or okabe great characters for being badass or jocular.

Development don't mean shit if the character is unlikable. So I think all you can do is assume that they just don't like the characters personality.

Armin in snk got a lot of development throught the series, but I'm nuetral towards his character. I think a lot of people like characters more for their personality than their development.
May 23, 2015 9:53 AM

Sep 2013
RZA of the popular rap group Wu-Tang Clan is an avid fan of Dragon Ball Z, calling it “one the deepest cartoons in history”. In his book “The Tao of Wu”, he even states that he believes the Saiyans can represent the “journey of the black man in America”
and you dont fck with wu tang
May 23, 2015 11:19 AM

Nov 2012
Isn't this stuff pretty well known? I mean unless most.the people.here are like little.children.

oh wait Nevermind.
May 23, 2015 11:23 AM

Nov 2014
I would say that this is correct for the most part, but their is a few that I don't think is totally true.
May 24, 2015 12:02 PM

Nov 2014
Completely agree with OP
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

May 25, 2015 3:52 AM
May 2015
ichii_1 said:
RZA of the popular rap group Wu-Tang Clan is an avid fan of Dragon Ball Z, calling it “one the deepest cartoons in history”. In his book “The Tao of Wu”, he even states that he believes the Saiyans can represent the “journey of the black man in America”

Nope.. Never fck with the Clan

Goku and Vegeta 4 life

In topic I agree.. Unlikable==bad character

The only time I considered Shinji a legitimaty bad character was EOE where every development was shot to hell and his flaws were overexaggerated. The Shinji in the original anime and the Rebuilds is good
May 25, 2015 4:10 AM

Nov 2012
Completely agree with OP, Unlikeable =/= bad character.
Unlikeable characters do however have the negative effect of lowering the enjoyment of some fans of the series.
So I still get why a person (like myself with Light Yagami) would rate something lower compared to shows with likeable protagonists.
That however does mean that those ratings stopped being objective and became subjective.

ichii_1 said:

The Abbot never lies.
Wish he'd sample some DBZ scenes instead of creating poppy hooks for his current productions.
May 25, 2015 4:32 AM

Apr 2013
genesic123 said:
Exowave said:

He is so inconsistent in tone,it became harder to take anything seriously as the show went on.

That's why old anime watchers like me are telling since a looong time that EoE ISN'T GOOD and that you should take the episodes 25 and 26 of Evangelion as the fitting end of this series. I agree with you that EoE destroy shinji's progression and is illogical. EoE is extremely poorly written.

BUT shinji isn't poorly written. Don't mistake the mess EoE did with what the main series did.
May 25, 2015 6:25 AM
Mar 2012
Your right sometimes those characters are just one and the same, like take Kamina from Gurren Lagann for instance he was both badly written and an unlikable character and yet he has a lot of fans so it could partially be the fault of the fans not wanting to admit to the flaws in their favorites characters.
May 25, 2015 7:10 AM

Apr 2014
Ofcourse there is, isn't that obvious.
May 31, 2015 10:49 PM
Jan 2013
Zefyris said:
genesic123 said:

That's why old anime watchers like me are telling since a looong time that EoE ISN'T GOOD and that you should take the episodes 25 and 26 of Evangelion as the fitting end of this series. I agree with you that EoE destroy shinji's progression and is illogical. EoE is extremely poorly written.

BUT shinji isn't poorly written. Don't mistake the mess EoE did with what the main series did.

It isnt just the movie .its like over time the series just doesn't know what to do with him.

One moment he is brave ,the next monent he is a coward.He was good in the very beginning ep 1 and 2.Over time he turned into your typical angsty harem anime self insert teen that anime fans praise as "good writing".

It isn't helped by the pointless backstories that meant nothing.That affair.Even the internal fighting made no sense considering the world is at stake.

The last two episodes implies that he had all the answers inside of him,so whatever his conflicts,they made no sense.The story didn't matter to him.

Jun 1, 2015 1:19 AM

Nov 2014
I agree his dad is even more unlikeable then him tho
kill yourself
Jun 1, 2015 1:31 AM

Jul 2013
I didn't think Shinji was made to be likable anyway. No person likes a self-loathing kid.
Jun 1, 2015 1:34 AM

Sep 2014
The only reason people hate Makoto is because they know he's the guy who would steal every single one of their crushes away from them
Jun 1, 2015 1:53 AM

Feb 2012
A badly written character is a badly written character. While an unlikeable character is a character you don't like but you usually understand where they're coming from and their motives.
Jun 1, 2015 4:34 AM

Feb 2008
If an unlikeable character is a one dimensional prick, then yes, he's badly written.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 1, 2015 4:39 AM
May 2014
unlikable characters : all tsunders
badly written : Tatsuya Shiba
Sturgeon's law : 90% of Everything is Crap
Jun 1, 2015 5:00 AM

Apr 2015
Badly written characters;

> Characters those connection with the story of the other cast is bad, no progress for his improvement.

Unlikable character;

> Characters that are either badly drawn or bad presentation.
#CHEXIT
Jun 1, 2015 5:36 AM

Apr 2012
Would you call Shinji from FSN UBW a good written character too? Just because he is consistent? I mean he is mad and acts accordingly, he is consistent to his character traits that makes him a good written character right?

Wrong.

He is a horribly written character and a mere tool to produce some drama when the show feels like it needs some. In the VN he probably was mostly there for a rape sex scene, altough I dont know since Ive never played it. He is nothing but a one-dimensional "activate Shinji for rape/torture/mad drama" tool. There are no reasons give for why he is fucked up, he just is and produces cheap drama.
Jun 1, 2015 8:59 PM

Feb 2013
I rewatched Gundam SEED Destiny over the past week... after reading the episode discussions I found out that MAL hates Shinn.

He never came across as a poorly written character (at least to me). Sure he's not very likable most of the time...

Just another example because people were saying he was poorly written, but I think people just didn't agree with his worldview and motivations.
Jun 1, 2015 9:06 PM

Oct 2011
BurntJelly said:
I rewatched Gundam SEED Destiny over the past week... after reading the episode discussions I found out that MAL hates Shinn.

He never came across as a poorly written character (at least to me). Sure he's not very likable most of the time...

Just another example because people were saying he was poorly written, but I think people just didn't agree with his worldview and motivations.

Mood swings like a girl on her period, complains a lot, REALLY emo and pretty much a copy cat of Kira Jesus Yamato. Not surprised people hated him.
Jun 1, 2015 9:07 PM

Nov 2014
Gov said:
BurntJelly said:

Mood swings like a girl on her period, complains a lot, REALLY emo and pretty much a copy cat of Kira Jesus Yamato. Not surprised people hated him.
+1
I didn't like Shinn, and I don't think he was a good written character either.

Jun 1, 2015 9:12 PM

Oct 2012
baki502 said:
Would you call Shinji from FSN UBW a good written character too? Just because he is consistent? I mean he is mad and acts accordingly, he is consistent to his character traits that makes him a good written character right?

Wrong.

He is a horribly written character and a mere tool to produce some drama when the show feels like it needs some. In the VN he probably was mostly there for a rape sex scene, altough I dont know since Ive never played it. He is nothing but a one-dimensional "activate Shinji for rape/torture/mad drama" tool. There are no reasons give for why he is fucked up, he just is and produces cheap drama.
You do realize that because F/SN has multiple different stories and certain things aren't explored in one of the stories right? Shinji's backstory and his rocky relationship with his sister are expanded upon greatly in Heaven's Feel because that is a much more relevant place to put it as Sakura is the focus.
Jun 1, 2015 9:17 PM
Jul 2018
Feaor said:
You do realize that because F/SN has multiple different stories and certain things aren't explored in one of the stories right? Shinji's backstory and his rocky relationship with his sister are expanded upon greatly in Heaven's Feel because that is a much more relevant place to put it as Sakura is the focus.

One shouldn't have to explore the whole franchise just to appreciate a character that's in every story so I wouldn't say that's an excuse.
Jun 1, 2015 9:20 PM

Oct 2012
DrCoppelius said:
Feaor said:

One shouldn't have to explore the whole franchise just to appreciate a character that's in every story so I wouldn't say that's an excuse.
Except for the fact that Fate/Stay Night is one cohesive work, its meant to be viewed as a whole and the events in each of the three routes are all equally canon.
Jun 1, 2015 9:28 PM

Jul 2014
No, there's no difference. People appreciate things from different perspectives. If someone were to find a character unlikable, it means that the character lacked a good development/fleshing out in a certain aspect, which is what that certain viewer mostly looks for in characters. So, he found that character was badly written when it comes to what he seeks most in a character, whether if it's its development, actions, interaction, monologues, dialogues..etc.

So, yeah, there is no difference. There's only a difference in people, and how they voice their opinions about characters, since some will perfectly explain why he found x character both unlikable and badly written, while others will just say "hurr durr x character sucks."
Jun 1, 2015 9:33 PM
Jul 2018
Feaor said:
Except for the fact that Fate/Stay Night is one cohesive work, its meant to be viewed as a whole and the events in each of the three routes are all equally canon.

I assumed he was talking about the anime since he said he didn't play the VN. The anime is, in fact, one cohesive work. It should stand on its own.
Jun 1, 2015 9:40 PM

Mar 2012
Obviously, some characters are written to be unlikable.
Jun 1, 2015 9:44 PM

Oct 2012
DrCoppelius said:
Feaor said:

I assumed he was talking about the anime since he said he didn't play the VN. The anime is, in fact, one cohesive work. It should stand on its own.
Admittedly that is one of the problems with the translation between the mediums, UBW as an anime could never stand completely on its own because the narrative itself builds off of Fate and without that it misses out of some context. Same thing goes for Heaven's Feel, it only works because its a culmination of everything that has already been built up and the impact is lessened if that's missing.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 16 minutes ago

4 by filjoh »»
2 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 7 hours ago

43 by EpicO4 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

37 by Shirayukin »»
8 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
15 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 20 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.