Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
High School DxD (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 5, 2015 7:05 PM

Jul 2014
I've been watching the first two episodes of Highschool DxD, and is it just me, or do they show extreme anti-Christian feelings?

Before you go off on me, yes, I'm a Catholic, but I don't really follow my faith that much.

I understand that their Devils and that they have to stay away from anything related to the Church, but I can't help but feel there's some anti-religious feelings in the anime.
Apr 5, 2015 8:05 PM

Feb 2009
not really, all you've seen of the "christian" group is the bad apples that got away, and stirring up trouble with the devils.
Theres every mythology in DxD, the only "extreme feelings" in the series is the vampire x vampire war, and every male being jealous of Isseis harem.
Apr 5, 2015 8:08 PM
Sep 2014
I don't think so , I doubt people even take the religious overtones serious at all. We all are here for akeno and the oppai.
Apr 5, 2015 8:11 PM
Nov 2012
I don't see it. The only way it can be interpreted as such is by making the main cast devils and have them be the "good guys". It seems they will cover more than Angels/Devils/Fallen Angels this season, so it should feel less awkward (if people were already bothered by it).
Nothing to see here, please proceed to the next window.
Apr 5, 2015 8:12 PM
Aug 2012
i didnt really get that feeling
Apr 5, 2015 8:15 PM

May 2014
You obviously don't see the advertisement of boobie-ism >.>
Apr 7, 2015 3:56 AM

Apr 2012
"Religion" in Japan would be Shinto and/or Buddhism. Christianity would fall more under "mythology".
Apr 7, 2015 4:58 AM

Jul 2008
Not really, I didn't see anything like that.
Apr 19, 2015 12:12 AM

Dec 2013
Hotdogmaniac said:

Before you go off on me, yes, I'm a Catholic, but I don't really follow my faith that much.

I don't think anyone really cares that you are religious. However your question does make me think you are a little slow. The story takes aspects or entities from many religions and mixes them around a bit. Stop reading too much into it.
Apr 19, 2015 12:17 AM

Apr 2014
Demonic themes =/= anti religion

That's like saying

Talking animals (Winnie the Pooh) = Anti religion

oh wait
Apr 19, 2015 12:19 AM

Sep 2014
it mixes all kinds of religons/mythologies out there, especially later on in the novels
you can already see Norse mythology in anime and more will come
Apr 19, 2015 12:22 AM

Apr 2015
Ecchi and Hentai don't care about religion.
#CHEXIT
Apr 19, 2015 3:56 PM
Oct 2011
Hotdogmaniac said:
I've been watching the first two episodes of Highschool DxD, and is it just me, or do they show extreme anti-Christian feelings?

I understand that their Devils and that they have to stay away from anything related to the Church, but I can't help but feel there's some anti-religious feelings in the anime.

Japan has a culture that accepts all faiths and in doing so rejects the notion of exclusive truth. Most organized religions believe that they are right and others are wrong, so you will find that most Japanese fiction will subtly or overtly look down on organized religion.
Apr 26, 2015 8:14 AM

Jul 2014
charbchillin said:
I don't think so , I doubt people even take the religious overtones serious at all. We all are here for akeno and the oppai.
Apr 26, 2015 9:41 AM

May 2012
OtaXu1 said:
Hotdogmaniac said:

Japan has a culture that accepts all faiths and in doing so rejects the notion of exclusive truth. Most organized religions believe that they are right and others are wrong, so you will find that most Japanese fiction will subtly or overtly look down on organized religion.

That reminds me of the Game Theorists episode of the Final Fantasy Series being anti-organized religions. Hmm... interesting.
Apr 26, 2015 11:44 AM
Oct 2011
RukuYano said:
OtaXu1 said:

That reminds me of the Game Theorists episode of the Final Fantasy Series being anti-organized religions. Hmm... interesting.

I'll admit that some of my opinion is influenced by that video but I came to a similar conclusion years before. Although our opinions do differ slightly. The important thing here is understanding and I think watching that video would be a good idea. If anyone could link that video that would be great.
May 2, 2015 6:42 PM

Mar 2014
Would the show Supernatural count as "anti-religious/anti-Christian" because all the angels in it are pretty much dicks lol
LiquidacidMay 2, 2015 8:38 PM
May 2, 2015 8:28 PM

Mar 2015
Well almost everything in this show is anti-religion stuffs. From demons with wings, contract with the devil, I think a harem is also against Catholic values (I'm not sure sorry).

The most important aspect on how this is anti-religion is:

Other than that, excessive fanservice might be problems to some religious people...

May 3, 2015 5:42 AM

Apr 2011
yes they are , I mean they killed off God LOL.
May 30, 2015 6:42 PM

May 2015
Yes...
May 30, 2015 7:47 PM
Sep 2012
In short, just don't take anything seriously. The author has no intentions of making fun of any religion.
May 30, 2015 7:54 PM
Jul 2018
As far as I'm concerned, anti-religion means the author is completely against that certain religion's beliefs right? In this case not really, the "Angels" side is pretty much good guys except for some crazy mofos like Freed and Valpa (And they were excomunicated, so the higher-ups from the Church don't approve of those actions).

"God is dead" was a twist the author made to make stuff more interesting with the Three Grreat Factions needing to join forces and all, I don't think he actually wants to be anti-religious as much as just write a fun story.
May 31, 2015 12:50 AM
Apr 2013
logopolis said:
"Religion" in Japan would be Shinto and/or Buddhism. Christianity would fall more under "mythology".

Yeah except Christians hold massive sway in post war Japanese politics so that theory goes out the door.
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
May 31, 2015 12:51 AM

Apr 2014
The moment you realize you already commented in a necro'ed thread.
May 31, 2015 11:09 AM

Jan 2013
No, if anything the anime is based on Theology and the way it has been portrayed throughout history in all parts of the world.

This is not that bad of a necro compared to the ones resurrected after years.
Jun 6, 2015 9:44 PM

Dec 2014
It depends on what you mean by "anti-religious". Aside from the numerous religions and mythologies incorporated into this story (Norse, Buddhist, Christian, everything as time goes on), many of these are bastardized to a certain degree. I don't think the author is harboring any ill-will towards Catholicism specifically (since that is what you referenced), rather he just wanted to use certain elements from it.
Jun 7, 2015 5:02 AM

Jan 2008
No, it is not. The angels are pretty much always good. Angels who harbor impure thoughts are always turned into fallen angels, and not even all of those are evil.
Jun 7, 2015 5:02 AM

May 2014
no its just anti-brain cells.
Jun 8, 2015 3:02 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Linkmstr said:
In short, just don't take anything seriously. The author has no intentions of making fun of any religion.

Exactly, he is just using mithology plot to for the cast, which makes the setting quite interesting and enjoyable IMO.
Jun 16, 2015 11:56 PM

May 2014
No please stahp
Jun 27, 2015 9:28 PM

Mar 2013
I see it as a satirical tale. Not profane any religion or mythology.
I'm christian.
Jun 28, 2015 1:43 AM

Jan 2011
I would say that monotheists will find the worldview presented in this show to be pretty foreign to them--but that's the case with a lot of anime that touches on supernatural themes. Shinto and Buddhism are separate religions but they co-exist to a remarkable extent in Japan, with many Buddhist temples containing Shinto shrines to the local god, and some deities being important to both (Benten for example). If you find the idea that there are many gods and divine beings and that there is no one absolute good, with everything else being evil, then you'll be offended. As a pagan I find this a hoot, but then most pagans are pretty sex positive (imho). There are an awful lot of shows that feature demons and devils as the love interest or as major characters, not to mention the ones in which youkai play romantic roles so this isn't anything out of the ordinary. If you find it offensive, don't watch--if it strikes a chord with you, re-evaluate your belief system.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 12, 2015 8:15 AM

Jan 2012
Honestly I don't see it as being religious or anti-religious. It's fiction. The same way magic in Harry Potter/Lord of the rings isn't meant to be evil. It's purely fiction and entertainment and doesn't try to be anything but that that.
May 29, 2021 8:24 AM
Jul 2018
Hotdogmaniac said:

Bro just go ahead and say that your an atheist and I feel you shouldn't speak at all if you don't even "know" if this show is blasphemy
May 29, 2021 8:31 AM

Aug 2020
@Lloydmras
bruh, the user has not connected since 2015
a wise user of MAL said:
Just to clarify, adaptations should absolutely stand on their own
May 29, 2021 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
Leoradiuju2004 said:
@Lloydmras
bruh, the user has not connected since 2015

Haha ik lol I just watched high school dxd and dropped just after 5 episodes coz it was too much blasphemy for me to handle.....I mean I have seen shows that do blasphemy against Christianity but this is a first where the actual theme is making the church sound like a villain.....which is funny considering the history of Christianity in Japan (its horrible I guarantee you)
Jun 6, 2021 3:08 AM

Nov 2018
I know OP's been inactive since all this time, but I'll still answer for anyone wondering.

Religion is more used as a tool for world building and characters/groups, as the three main groups are mostly good, and the bad guys are usually the terrorist/extremist groups that the characters have to fight against/come up against in the future.

If anything, the religious aspects of this series is what makes it so fascinating, that's why I love the LNs.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Jun 17, 2021 2:08 PM
Mar 2021
@Lloydmras
There is nothing to indicate the Church is a villain. Have you even watched the first five episodes at all? All of the "bad" stuff is stuff the Church disavowed, tried to stop/stopped once discovered, and tried to prevent from happening again which is realistic and quite optimistic considering human nature. It's quite clear the church is made 99.99% of good guys in the anime. People seriously need to widen their horizons. Also the Church is not Christianity and it certainly is not perfect. If anything the only thing that might be considered offensive to those of Christian beliefs are things that are inaccurate to Christian beliefs in the plot. But even then it's just a fictional story, it's not a documentary/movie on the Bible.
Jun 18, 2021 9:32 AM
Jul 2018
VisualFungus said:
@Lloydmras
There is nothing to indicate the Church is a villain. Have you even watched the first five episodes at all? All of the "bad" stuff is stuff the Church disavowed, tried to stop/stopped once discovered, and tried to prevent from happening again which is realistic and quite optimistic considering human nature. It's quite clear the church is made 99.99% of good guys in the anime. People seriously need to widen their horizons. Also the Church is not Christianity and it certainly is not perfect. If anything the only thing that might be considered offensive to those of Christian beliefs are things that are inaccurate to Christian beliefs in the plot. But even then it's just a fictional story, it's not a documentary/movie on the Bible.

I think I'm satisfied with that explanation thanks!
Apr 29, 1:49 PM
Sep 2023
Highschool dxd is very Christian since it has Christian stuff in there and they also teach us about kindness and peace like how the three faction devils, fallen angels and angels united and decided to stop fighting amongst themselves and organize peace instead and then we have issei he is a good and lucky guy, some wholesome stuff happened in there too,And Christians too like nuns

More topics from this board

Poll: » High School DxD BorN Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2015

342 by III-D4rKY-III »»
May 8, 4:15 AM

Poll: » High School DxD BorN Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2015

142 by RorySweeting »»
Apr 30, 1:55 AM

Poll: » High School DxD BorN Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 16, 2015

144 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 10, 11:00 AM

Poll: » High School DxD BorN Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 9, 2015

135 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 10, 9:51 AM

» The last three episodes are filler

5hyguy - Feb 24

16 by adityakush_477 »»
Mar 28, 12:10 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.