Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 27, 2015 3:30 PM

Jun 2014
AOTS for sure. 9/10.
Mar 27, 2015 3:45 PM
Jul 2018
I really loved the scene where Chiyuki want to talk with her mom and need to press the button to sacrifice someone' life in order to live.
Mar 27, 2015 3:49 PM

Jun 2014
I think the ending was absolutely BRILLIANT! I cried so much in this episode and felt all the emotions of the past episodes when they showed the flashbacks.

Since this is an original anime, who knows if will get another season or if we will ever see these characters again, but I for one would love to see more of Death Parade in the future!

Overall score 10/10!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Mar 27, 2015 4:04 PM

Oct 2014
Surprisingly great ending for a good show. 9/10.
Mar 27, 2015 4:16 PM

Dec 2014
You know what, I won't be surprised if the series is actually written by Nona given how much it relied on contrived, awkward dramas just to make you feel something for some of the generic characters with generic background and motivation. It's not to say it can't be something decent, after all a good writer can tell a good story even with the most simplistic elements, but when you spend only two episodes dealing with Nona's arc that seems like so important but ended up with nothing and Onna gone through a forceful transformation (in the last episode she just said "it is wrong for people trying to understand each other", and now just one episode later she's like "Oh my god turns out people may understand each other", mouthpiece much?), compare to the episodic nature of the first half, it's hard not to feel you are just adding that to a story that wasn't planned out that way only because you have to lengthen it to meet the 12 episodes requirement. And all the poor exposition and jumping all over the place with the story just reinforce the idea that the creator may still not have a consolidated idea of what kind of story he wants to tell, thus exposing his immaturity in every aspects.

"While you do not know life, how can you know about death?" It is what I'm gonna say if the show ends on a random philosophical debate. But seems like the creator just wants to tell a simple story so it ceases to be naive but underwhelming, well then it is, Hell girl, you've got a new partner. Shigofumi, you'll have to wait. Unquestionable 5/10.
Mar 27, 2015 4:16 PM
Oct 2014
And there was Decim's character development, nice!
Mar 27, 2015 4:17 PM
Jan 2015
7/10
good anime/
Mar 27, 2015 4:22 PM

Jun 2012
Death Parade is definitely the best anime this season. Great story, characters... MUSIC! Very nice ending too. A lot of anime recently haven't had endings that have satisfied me enough.

(Decim's smile :3)

I know some people at the start thought Death Parade was just going to be an episodic series and would quickly become boring but it turned out not to be! I actually enjoyed the early episodes quite a lot though, but these last episodes have been my favourites.

9/10 I'll probably add it to my recommendation list.
dkjijiMar 27, 2015 4:26 PM
N☆ 

Mar 27, 2015 4:23 PM

Apr 2013
Loved this show! I think they wrapped it up in the best way possible too, given its twelve episode length.

Bravo, Madhouse.
Powerful eyebrows.
Mar 27, 2015 4:32 PM

Mar 2014
Gr8 smile Decim

Definitely one of my favourite anime this season. Despite having some annoying flaws and MUH MUCH DRAMA moments the plot remained consisted through the whole show and it was nicely tied together. Strong 7/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 27, 2015 4:35 PM

Jun 2008
I loved it <3 Chiyuki would have chose to click the button if she didnt attend all those judgements , nothing is wasted you get one chance one life and nothing else , their smiles and goodbye was nice in the end and him having a doll of her besides him made me smile , great anime indeed.
Mar 27, 2015 4:39 PM

Apr 2013
Touching ending. More episodes would have been better to give a deeper look into the series' main characters.
Mar 27, 2015 4:40 PM

Jul 2012
Really cool opening song. The show was... not that good. The ova had great atmosphere and this series lost it when they tried to explain all of it. And as usuall it don't make sense and is really stupid. Sending people to void after judging them by having them play a game....
Mar 27, 2015 4:44 PM

Jun 2014
Damn it, I cried ;-;

Excellent finish to the series. Chiyuki's good-bye was sad, but I did love to see Decim cry and smile.

9/10, I loved this series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2015 4:48 PM

Dec 2010
I prefer Death Billiards. This show was great in the beginning because it stuck to that.Then, Chiyuki began to corrupt Decim and show begen to taper off as a result.

This is a signature, You are a reader of this signature reading that the signature is telling you that you are a person reading the signature telling you that the person who made this signature wanted you to know that you read that this signature is being read by the person who is reading the signature telling them all about the signature being read by you
Mar 27, 2015 4:50 PM
Jun 2014
Terrible pacing, management of time, edge pandering, lack of direction, management of plot points, and forgettable characters. 4/10 is a generous score.
Ep 3 was nice.
Mar 27, 2015 4:52 PM

Jul 2014
That was good but it felt like it was lacking something but I can't quite put my finger on it. Regardless, it was still a nice watch 8/10
Mar 27, 2015 4:58 PM

Apr 2008
I didn't expect to get emotional watching this anime, but wow. I'd say this series finished pretty strongly.

Mar 27, 2015 5:04 PM

Feb 2014
Hmmm. Definitely one of the strongest episodes in the series but nevertheless suffered the same problems as the preceding episodes. I guess it's not helped by the fact I was one of those people hyping this since I loved Death Billiard so much... Anyway, my summary for Death Parade:

Good:

- OST: absolutely amazing. It's perfect.
- Art: I fell in love with the style. Lovely faces. I really liked the long philtrums and the clean shading. The backgrounds are stunning too.
- Animation: Smooth and fluid and was more than sufficient to convey a full range of emotions at all magnitudes. Very nicely done. Wasted on what they chose to animate though...
- Premise: The premise itself is very interesting, and the themes explored are very good choices. It's just they did a bad job of it.
- VA: Great! Especially the one off characters. Tone was consistent and added substance, though not quite enough to make up for the bad characterisation and writing in regards to the regular cast.

Bad:

- Characters: I look around and all I see is wasted potential. So much wasted potential. The regular characters are either poorly explored or otherwise stretched far too thin. The visitors on the other hand are handled brilliantly.
- Plot: Utter mess. What is this shit? No. Actual trainwreck from the second episode out.
- Mythology: I guess this ties in with the plot and execution... it's something that didn't need to be explored. It was utterly unnecessary and took away from the emotional impact. One dimensional and not at all interesting.
- Execution: Piss poor. Killed the theme. It came off hugely patronising. The repeating, the unnecessary explanations, the over-stretched characters, and the incongruous mix of taking itself too seriously as something to prompt viewers to think and force feeding the viewers like we're not capable of lateral thinking just don't go very well together.

Overall:

It's ironic how in the end the show ended up being rather hollow like the mannequins. They would have done much better with a episodic show with just Decim, Chiyuki, Nona, and maybe odd appearances from the other workers, and focused on the human stories. The whole Chiyuki arc is a nice touch but the obvious hinting and foreshadowing ruined it for me. It had the potential to be the next Mushishi but I guess in an attempt to pull in a wider audience they opted for... whatever this is...

I gave this 7/10. At least 2 of those 7 points are for the great art and music. Death Billiard on the other hand deserves every point of the 10/10 I gave it.
Mar 27, 2015 5:05 PM

Feb 2014
LucasRTS said:
I'll just reiterate what I said before:

I'm kinda disappointed about Death Parade. The designs are great with very good art, good premise and ideas and a fairly high budget, but it was poorly written and I was kinda overhyping it once it aired.

The episodic characters have a well thought out and a effective and cool back story with details that makes them interesting, but the main ones are 1 dimensional. I will mention the poor writing again; the main characters that are supposed to be or at least try to be emotionless, show a good amount of emotion every time, while the principal character of the anime that is supposed to HAVE emotions is complete emotionless.

The art and the sound (especially the awesome opening) are very good overall, same with the backgrounds, the character faces are very well done (best of this season so far). Great effects, color and lightining, good voices (better than your average ones)

Veredict: 5.75/10 (again I will say: Poorly written)
I recommend the movie Death Billiards instead
It's almost a decent show but very overrated here, in absolutely no way this deserves more than a 7
One of the Madhouse weaker works

This. Literally everything in this post.
Mar 27, 2015 5:06 PM

Feb 2012
I wish the show just focused on the judgements.. the whole emotions with arbiters thing wasn't really that interesting.

Aug 2012
Unsatisfying final to be honest, left me with a lot of questions... Well, I expected the story Chavvot to have a deeper background in the first place, I mean, it was no more than a childhood favorite of the girl? I thought it was related to Decim or someone else from that world because Nona was reading it and it was the background picture of that game-selecting machine.

And what's so special about Onna? what made Decim burst into tears so much? I mean, yea, he has feelings of course, but Onna's story does not seem more dramatic than that of many other people judged by him previously. Why was he indifferent all this time? why couldn't he judge Onna at first?

I expected some action, that old guy vs. Decim and Nona maybe. Decim saves Onna and quits being an arbiter, gains a life maybe. I mean it can sound stupid but well I'm trying to give it a shot, it was like the final of Another which left us with questions then everything was explained with an OVA so it might get an OVA as well.

I gave it 9 overall but at this topic I gave the final episode 1 because it sucks as hell. Nice drama yea but didn't meet my expectations.
AlturiablueMar 27, 2015 6:02 PM

Dec 2012
Nice way to end the show.
Decim and Chiyuki spending their last moments together.
Decim experiencing more human emotions. He's crying.
Farewell Chiyuki.
Lol at Decim trying to smile.
Well its back to judgement of people again.
Great to have the OP song at the end.
Overall 9/10 for me.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 27, 2015 5:09 PM
Mar 2014
This episode made me tear abit , awsome ep lovd it 10/10
Mar 27, 2015 5:10 PM

Sep 2012
Nice ending. It was funny/sad to see Decim handle emotions and sad to see Chiyuki go. AOTS
Mar 27, 2015 5:12 PM

Feb 2014
Those smiles.... this episode was amazing.

IMO the best show of the season 10/10.
Mar 27, 2015 5:14 PM

Mar 2015
And what's so special about Onna? what made Decim burst into tears so much? I mean, yea, he has feelings of course, but Onna's story does not seem more dramatic than that of many other people judged by him previously. Why was he indifferent all this time? why couldn't he judge Onna at first?

Isn't that because she's specially selfless? We didn't see a visitor that was nearly as selfless as she was, guess it made him respect her more. Maybe he thought that she really didn't deserve any of the suffering she had been through and all that. And he couldn't answer her first because she could remember that she was dead, so he couldn't make her play any games...
BMDMar 27, 2015 5:20 PM
Mar 27, 2015 5:20 PM

Aug 2012
BMD said:

Isn't that because she's specially selfless? We didn't see a visitor that was nearly as selfless as she was, guess it made him respect her more. Maybe he thought that she really didn't deserve any of the suffering she had been through and all that.

She was shouting for Decim to press the button, which means she gave in eventually. I believe there were equally, if not more, heroic and "selfless" people who were judged easily, like the woman who saved her husband lying about cheating.
Mar 27, 2015 5:20 PM

Jan 2013
I was first hesitant when I heard Death Billiards would be getting a TV series but that has been put away easily. The beginning of the show was strong and very similar to the themes in the OVA. The middle few episodes did lose a little luster but did end up giving Decim some different experiences (at least vicariously) regarding humans. Nice and touching finale. They kind of set it up to make a season 2 possible and I would be all for that. Can't wait for this OST to come out.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Mar 27, 2015 5:26 PM

Mar 2014
Bravo, that was great.
Mar 27, 2015 5:26 PM

Mar 2015
Vellamo said:
BMD said:

Isn't that because she's specially selfless? We didn't see a visitor that was nearly as selfless as she was, guess it made him respect her more. Maybe he thought that she really didn't deserve any of the suffering she had been through and all that.

She was shouting for Decim to press the button, which means she gave in eventually. I believe there were equally, if not more, heroic and "selfless" people who were judged easily, like the woman who saved her husband lying about cheating.

I don't think that woman counts because it was her husband, it is only natural to feel protective over someone you love enough to marry. Also Decim didn't know about the truth of that woman before she was in the Void so... Chiyuki didn't want to hurt anyone regardless of knowing them or not. Yeah she gave in, but I think what counts most is that she couldn't do it herself.

Plus, the thing going on there was that she would go to the Void if she didn't press the button right? You really can't blame her for pushing him in doing her own judgment then. But I gotta agree that Onna herself is nothing special. Madhouse can come up with better girls...
Mar 27, 2015 5:27 PM
Jul 2018
I smell a season two!
Death parade was very good, the only weak point was how the story developed but besides that it was great. 8/10
Mar 27, 2015 5:29 PM

Aug 2014
I thought it handled itself pretty well. When I see people complain about the story not having a overreaching arc, I laugh. It was meant to keep you interested from episode to episode giving you a very vague glimpse into what they are "possibly" feeling. Everything that has happened since episode one has had an effect on both Onna and Decim leading up until the climax of their emotions in this episode. It wasn't meant to be fed to you on a spoon. The story was about Onna from the very beginning, I thought that much was obvious.

On the flip side, people are like, "yea it was alright, but had some serious flaws with the plot, 9/10" 9?? Seriously, you call it average and give it a 9?? This why MAL is just a Hype Meter.

Anyway, I really liked it. 7.5/10
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Mar 27, 2015 5:34 PM

May 2009
Nice series. I liked the idea of the small time between life and death where "things" looking like humans have to judge people. The story of Chiyuki was intruging. The setting (art/atmosphere) was quite beautiful.

However. I think they could've done a lot more with this "world" between life and death. A lot of characters could've been explained and developed. The development of judging within the organisation was almost.. nothing? Only Decim seems to be someone who's actually learnt something. I wish there would've been more time to explain that other than just showing judgement.
On the other hand it felt like a lot of episodes were just "explanations" on how they judge in stead of working on the anime's story, which is a shame I think.

Overall good anime, but lack of réal plot I think.
6.5/10
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Mar 27, 2015 5:35 PM

Jan 2011
What a way to end this season's best anime! This was a surprisingly emotional episode, I was about to cry too. Seeing Chiyuki regretting her committing suicide and apologizing and Decim experience sorrow was way too sad. Chiyuki parting with Decim was quite bittersweet but at least Decim can smile naturally now. : ) Oculus didn't really do anything, it's got to be a tease for a sequel of some sorts. Overall I really enjoyed Death Parade!
9/10
Mar 27, 2015 5:36 PM

Jul 2011
THE MOST BEAUTIFUL ANIME EVER. I LOVE DECIM AND CHIYUKI.
THAT SMILE AT THE END.
SECOND SEASON NOW!

Best anime this season and for most other seasons as well xD
Mar 27, 2015 5:37 PM

May 2013
I CAN'T. THE EMOTIONS IN THIS EPISODE. PROPS TO THE VA's. FANTASTIC.

Well, I'm glad to see Decim's development (dem his smile) and Chiyuki too (at some points). A lot of things happened but dat ending.

8/10. AOTS
The world shall know the truth soon.
Mar 27, 2015 5:41 PM
Mar 2014
BlurredVision18 said:
When I see people complain about the story not having a overreaching arc, I laugh. It was meant to keep you interested from episode to episode giving you a very vague glimpse into what they are "possibly" feeling. Everything that has happened since episode one has had an effect on both Onna and Decim leading up until the climax of their emotions in this episode. It wasn't meant to be fed to you on a spoon.

But it didn't keep me interested from episode to episode. In my opinion, it was only painful/boring to watch. I disagree when you say that everything has had an effect, too; the show surely wants you to believe that, but there wasn't any notable character development until this episode. There's also a huge difference between quality exposition and spoonfeeding, so I probably wouldn't go there.

I can't tell why people want a second season when there wasn't enough material for 12 episodes in the first place, but I digress.
Mar 27, 2015 5:52 PM
Feb 2013
I was gonna say something about the random philosophical discussion of dolls and "living" being pretty irrelevant to their job and how the show ultimately resets everything to status quo in the end; but then the opening starts playing and I realise this was the only reason I watched the show for (and the healing episode 3)
Mar 27, 2015 6:01 PM

Nov 2014
I'm so depressed it's over, it was so touching and incredible. Chiyuki and Decim parting ways :( but she's reincarnated...and now a dummy of her is with Decim so she's always with him in spirit. <3

And the Mayu doll in Ginti's bar. OMG! I'm still mad at him though for everything.

Decim's smile. <3 And his crying omg! :'(

10/10 definitely the best anime of the season.
Mar 27, 2015 6:04 PM

Aug 2012
BlurredVision18 said:
I thought it handled itself pretty well. When I see people complain about the story not having a overreaching arc, I laugh. It was meant to keep you interested from episode to episode giving you a very vague glimpse into what they are "possibly" feeling. Everything that has happened since episode one has had an effect on both Onna and Decim leading up until the climax of their emotions in this episode. It wasn't meant to be fed to you on a spoon. The story was about Onna from the very beginning, I thought that much was obvious.

On the flip side, people are like, "yea it was alright, but had some serious flaws with the plot, 9/10" 9?? Seriously, you call it average and give it a 9?? This why MAL is just a Hype Meter.

I gave it 9 because I enjoyed it a lot from the beginning, it's just I expected the final to reveal some deeper stuff. I'm quite generous at rating I don't deny that.
Mar 27, 2015 6:11 PM

May 2014
That was GOOD!
I gave it a 10 c:
Mar 27, 2015 6:17 PM

Jul 2014
CoffeeSquid said:
Hmmm. Definitely one of the strongest episodes in the series but nevertheless suffered the same problems as the preceding episodes. I guess it's not helped by the fact I was one of those people hyping this since I loved Death Billiard so much... Anyway, my summary for Death Parade:

Good:

- OST: absolutely amazing. It's perfect.
- Art: I fell in love with the style. Lovely faces. I really liked the long philtrums and the clean shading. The backgrounds are stunning too.
- Animation: Smooth and fluid and was more than sufficient to convey a full range of emotions at all magnitudes. Very nicely done. Wasted on what they chose to animate though...
- Premise: The premise itself is very interesting, and the themes explored are very good choices. It's just they did a bad job of it.
- VA: Great! Especially the one off characters. Tone was consistent and added substance, though not quite enough to make up for the bad characterisation and writing in regards to the regular cast.

Bad:

- Characters: I look around and all I see is wasted potential. So much wasted potential. The regular characters are either poorly explored or otherwise stretched far too thin. The visitors on the other hand are handled brilliantly.
- Plot: Utter mess. What is this shit? No. Actual trainwreck from the second episode out.
- Mythology: I guess this ties in with the plot and execution... it's something that didn't need to be explored. It was utterly unnecessary and took away from the emotional impact. One dimensional and not at all interesting.
- Execution: Piss poor. Killed the theme. It came off hugely patronising. The repeating, the unnecessary explanations, the over-stretched characters, and the incongruous mix of taking itself too seriously as something to prompt viewers to think and force feeding the viewers like we're not capable of lateral thinking just don't go very well together.

Overall:

It's ironic how in the end the show ended up being rather hollow like the mannequins. They would have done much better with a episodic show with just Decim, Chiyuki, Nona, and maybe odd appearances from the other workers, and focused on the human stories. The whole Chiyuki arc is a nice touch but the obvious hinting and foreshadowing ruined it for me. It had the potential to be the next Mushishi but I guess in an attempt to pull in a wider audience they opted for... whatever this is...

I gave this 7/10. At least 2 of those 7 points are for the great art and music. Death Billiard on the other hand deserves every point of the 10/10 I gave it.

I'm sorry, but everything negative that you pointed about the show is just plain incorrect. Trainwreck? Patronizing? Over-stretched characters? None of that true. I'm not going to call you a moron but it is evident you completely missed the themes of the show and the brilliant execution of those themes. It has been extremely consistent with excellent writing without force-feeding the audience. To call it poor writing is about as true as calling AOT comedic. I'm basically looking at you as though someone is saying these things about FMA.
Mar 27, 2015 6:17 PM
Oct 2013
A superb ending to a great anime, I applaud you Madhouse.

I think the episode was handled nicely and showed great character development to all the characters. This just makes me want more, so I hope there will be a season 2.

5/5 for both the episode and the anime as a whole. R.I.P Chiyuki, we will all miss you.
Mar 27, 2015 6:29 PM
Jul 2018
Ugghh my heart, I have a lot of feelings
Mar 27, 2015 6:38 PM

Jan 2011
quite the impactful finale i gotta hand it to madhouse the visuals for this was great and they were really able to bring out the emotion in the characters.

i wonder if they will be a S2 feel like there's still more left

overall just about a 8/10 i enjoyed my time with this plus easily has one of the best openings so far this year lol
Mar 27, 2015 6:38 PM

Jun 2013
Even Decim could not handle the amount of feels in this episode.

I noticed some people are angry because this anime didn't answer all of their questions. But I think the main point of this show is different. It was never about the plot. In my perspective, it was more about how they deal with death and live fulfilled lives. The main purpose, in my opinion, of this anime is to give us a lesson how to value our own life and such.

Good job, Madhouse.
Mar 27, 2015 6:39 PM

Nov 2014
BlurredVision18 said:

This, please stop, MAL. The numbers below 6 exist for a reason.
Quality Queen.
Mar 27, 2015 6:45 PM

Jun 2014

Decim looks fucking weird with both eyes
Mar 27, 2015 6:49 PM

Jan 2013
Sad to see Chiyuki go but it had to happen. I teared a bit when she broke down. Decim breaking down was even more unsettling. I feel bad that he's alone again :(

A strong finish, though I agree I felt some things were left unexplored, also felt some characters didn't have enough time to shine.

9/10
Pages (14) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2015

215 by Seraschi »»
Yesterday, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

450 by Seraschi »»
Yesterday, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

840 by sxrpente »»
Apr 23, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2015

672 by NikoFool »»
Apr 2, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2015

521 by Seraschi »»
Apr 1, 2:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.